Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EVE Online: Winter Expansion 'Retribution' Unveiled

13»

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Adamai
    No one cares about walking in stations to reach out to others would require advertiseing alone just like wow does. Eve wont grow without it.

I work in pharmaceutical advertising. It's much easier to sell something if it appeals to as many people as possible.

Eve is a good space combat game, but it dosen't go far enough with 'exploration' aspects.

Eve appeals to people who like starship battles in Star Wars.

DUST should appeal to people who like Starship Troopers.

Eve doesn't (yet) appeal to people who like those moments of exploration in science fiction films.

CCP should develop ALL possible aspects or they will experience the 'law of diminishing returns' - e.g. they will add 4 new ships to the many many they already have.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by Piraal
    Very few of the actual playerbase want to walk in station, but CCP still has some dev.'s working on it, it was also the framework for world of darkness.

People don't want WiS because their either:

a) Afraid they won't be able to trash talk from the safety of a station

b) Fucking stupid

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• Slider7Slider7 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Let's stay on topic, guys. This is about Retribution, not Walking in Stations.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Walking around on stations would be cool, completely un needed though. If it was implemented, I would probably never use it, just like how i never use the captains quaters.  

This has to do a lot with the walking in stations and the past stuff that pushed out for hte game that was placed on the back burner or just never completed.  The Dev's need to make sure that if they start a project then they need to finish it.  Don't go and do something halfway and then say that we are going to come back to it later when in all actually they don't.

They (the Dev's) need to finish what they start.  Not just push it to the back of the pile once it goes Alpha.

This is totally relevant and has to be addressed.

-Slider7

Looking for that next MMO

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Dyner
    Very few of the actual playerbase want to walk in station, but CCP still has some dev.'s working on it, it was also the framework for world of darkness.

b) Fucking stupid

Perhaps it is because THEY'RE happy with what EVE actually is - a spaceship game.

I apologize if English isn't your first language.

• ArmEagleArmEagle Member Posts: 36
    It would be nice if the weapon safety would be extended to prevent shooting your own wrecks/containers. Though it's basically an 'bug' in the interface, that when you're salvaging while shooting and a target dies exactly the moment you click a target, you sometimes end up shooting your own wrecks.

It shouldn't be hard to apply this feature for such situations also.
  • majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Dyner

b) Fucking stupid

Perhaps it is because THEY'RE happy with what EVE actually is - a spaceship game.

I apologize if English isn't your first language.

How would it hurt them?

"Shit guys, they have WiS now. Game is ruined! We can't go out and do our normal stuff... oh wait".

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You can read for yourselves what CCP's plans for WiS are:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2023395#post2023395

CCP Unifex (Executive Producer for EVE online):

"It has been fantastic to see the Avatar team show everyone that there is meaningful gameplay using more than just your ship as your agent in the EVE Universe. The prototyping work they have done in Unity has allowed them to rapidly explore different themes and make a game which is challenging, fun and in the true spirit of EVE.

At CCP we are now making sure that when great gameplay concepts such as these come along, we take time to assess what would be required to take them out of the concept phase, into our engine, through pre-production and into production. We must also consider how it interacts with everything else we are doing both within EVE and CCP as a whole. One of the great achievements of this piece of work is that it has really proved it is possible to rapidly iterate on new experiences without having to make a huge investment up front.

Once this prototype was demoed and I had played it (being beaten by CCP Explorer and team in the process), then came the next part. Working out what would be needed to put this concept into the game for real. The team worked together to put a pre-production and production plan together using what they had learned over the previous months and also the lessons learned from the Incarna efforts from last year.

The result of that planning highlighted that right now, we do not have the time or people to build this without impacting what we can deliver for our players who are flying in space. To create this will mean a considerable investment which will take time to put together and also a new focus for us just at a time when we as a company have another new game coming into the EVE Universe (yes DUST 514, I’m looking at you).

So, all that being said, we have a great concept to expand the EVE Universe but now is not the right time for us to take that step. It’s a step I very much want to take but I want to take it when it won’t mean removing developers and focus from flying in space. So, for the time being, watch this space with regards to exploration gameplay for EVE avatars. The Avatar team will now be turning its attention to features it can put out for EVE in our winter expansion and beyond."

Now. Perhaps we could talk about what will be in Retribution?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AlundilAlundil Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by JeroKane

You are wrong, it was very few, but EXTREMELY VOCAL hardcore segment of the playerbase that did not want it!

There were plenty of people that want Walking in Stations.

But like in so many MMO's. Devs always seem to crave in for the Vocal minority. /sigh

I think that you're purposely oversimplfying the argument (and also misconstrueing the actual numbers for or against).

Suffice it say that there were very vocal minorities on either side of the aisle. Those two minorities were very small compared to players that simply wanted "X" feature (whatever it was) to work in a useful and meaningful manner. WiS didn't reach that bar, not even a little. So CCP refocused on FiS.

Does that mean that WiS is dead? No, I don't think it's dead. Backburner? Certainly. Hopefully, and I say this as a FiS afficianado, they'll come back around and add some meaningful WiS features and it'll be another game changer.

Until then, don't fly what you can't afford to lose and stay aligned to something for godsake.

• AlundilAlundil Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Malcanis

You can read for yourselves what CCP's plans for WiS are:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2023395#post2023395

Now. Perhaps we could talk about what will be in Retribution?

As for what Retribution is - so far I thinks it's been a resounding success. Sure it's not to the scale of Apocrypha (still my favorite) but it's moving the game forward in some very important directions and it CCP is to be believe (and why not) it is continuing to lay/improve the backend functional groundwork (revamping code and redesigning some of the duct taped features) needed for a host of other long requested things.