Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW retakes nr 1 spot on X-Fire

2»

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It was funny when I looked after MoP

"what? GW2 is still high- oh, they switched lol"

What's interesting is that WoW went back to about the level it was before GW2 released but GW2 did not drop as low as WoW did when WoW released. It's anyone's guess what it will look like in a month or two.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by Calerxes

If they give the client away its F2P and not B2P, simple really.

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

Sure thing - I'm 100% confident on this based on ANet and GW1.

The game wasn't designed for F2P nor will it ever be. They have other ways to make money.

So when Mike O'Brien said,

"I know none of this is new; the original Guild Wars also had microtransactions. But microtransactions were an afterthought in Guild Wars, whereas with Guild Wars 2, we had an opportunity to integrate the microtransaction system from the ground up"

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2

He did not think it would be the main source of ongoing funding to improve the game? Gems are all that matter from now on believe me.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

Sorry man not convinved at all. I play both games what i see a lot of ppl in both games. This numbers dont prove nothing. Still see same ammount of players in both only difference is that MOP just released. Like i said before this data doesnt mean anything until at least both games have matured at least 2 months. 

The hype will cause a player to let go of other games and play the newest one. After you play enough you will start swtiching which game you play right. So the same goes here. Same reason and i say again THE GAMES NEED TO MATURE FOR YOU TO CONSIDER THE STATS.

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    But but but but X-fire is irrelevant when our game is losing.

lol! I was thinking the same thing.

"Hmm.. XFire being used to show something not favorable to GW2... the responses will be about how irrelevant XFire is".

To be fair, though, it's not only GW2 where that happens. It's the same with any MMO on this site (and elsewhere I imagine).

Basically:

XFire stats are favorable to "your game" = Xfire is relevant

XFire stats are unfavorable to "your game" = Xfire is irrelevant

Best part is when you see the same people switching arguments to fit the scenario.

So true and adds the overall entertainment of this forum, I think the saying "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" is relevant here.

Thats the main thing thats why im tired of ppl using this numbers. When WOW was declining (before release of MOP) ppl said the same thing. WOW is dieing, it wont recover, ppl need to move on. Same happen with GW2 and SWTOR. People should just play what they want. I play both games, just do the same Jeez. If ppl fight you saying your game suck does are the ppl that are ignorant and really kids in mind. I play WOW oh wow sucks GW2 is better, I play GW2 darn man that sucks WOW is better. This type of threads are just plain ignorant same as the OP.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

lol! I was thinking the same thing.

"Hmm.. XFire being used to show something not favorable to GW2... the responses will be about how irrelevant XFire is".

To be fair, though, it's not only GW2 where that happens. It's the same with any MMO on this site (and elsewhere I imagine).

Basically:

XFire stats are favorable to "your game" = Xfire is relevant

XFire stats are unfavorable to "your game" = Xfire is irrelevant

Best part is when you see the same people switching arguments to fit the scenario.

I disagree with your analysis.I beleive the real equations are this.

xfire stats gel with poster's agenda = xfire relevant

xfire stats don't gel with poster's agenda = xfire irrelevant

this usually starts with the OP of any thread bwecause if the xfire numbers didn't gel with what they want to see happen they wouldn't start the thread in the first place.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

MoP is having a rough go at it. I thought it would sell way better than it did. Here is a short article on Massively that shows retail sales at 600 - 700k. That number does not include digital sales, but it's still crazy low and the digital sales will not bring the numbers up to anywhere near Cataclysm numbers.

WoW is bleeding right now, but I think we're going to have to follow this wounded animal for a long while before we find it's corpse.

As for it's spot on X-Fire, I expected WoW to be way, way higher than GW2 on that list 3 days after the MoP release. The fact that they are so close says a lot about how well GW2 is still doing in the wake of the behemoth that is a WoW expansion. I personally hope both games level off quickly and at a high mark.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

The game wasn't designed for F2P nor will it ever be. They have other ways to make money.

"I know none of this is new; the original Guild Wars also had microtransactions. But microtransactions were an afterthought in Guild Wars, whereas with Guild Wars 2, we had an opportunity to integrate the microtransaction system from the ground up"

He did not think it would be the main source of ongoing funding to improve the game? Gems are all that matter from now on believe me.

Much like Blizzard will never drop Subs for WoW, ANet will never drop B2P for GW2.

The Gems are key, but why turn down the (currently) $60 if you can get it from every player?

It guarantees a certain amount of revenue from every player. They will eventually reduce the price and bundle expansions like all other MMOs, but I never see them dropping it altogether.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by colddog04

MoP is having a rough go at it. I thought it would sell way better than it did. Here is a short article on Massively that shows retail sales at 600 - 700k. That number does not include digital sales, but it's still crazy low and the digital sales will not bring the numbers up to anywhere near Cataclysm numbers.

WoW is bleeding right now, but I think we're going to have to follow this wounded animal for a long while before we find it's corpse.

As for it's spot on X-Fire, I expected WoW to be way, way higher than GW2 on that list 3 days after the MoP release. The fact that they are so close says a lot about how well GW2 is still doing in the wake of the behemoth that is a WoW expansion. I personally hope both games level off quickly and at a high mark.

As it is highly likely that the bulk of MoP sales were digital/direct upgrades its hard to see how retail figures could indicate anything, and massively were probably just quoting venturebeat..  a source which, lets face it, probably has less credibility than xfire numbers image

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

That....really has nothing to do with anything at all. He stated only that microtransactions were a part of the plan, nowhere does he say it's their main source of revenue. As population settles, the people willing to purchase gems and sell them for gold will gradually decline, but the most stable source of income being the boxes, something that will rise exponentially once several expansions are out for the game all with their own box cost. That's what they're counting on, and that's why they're not just going to get rid of it.

Puting it on sale however, is different, and something they did often with GW1.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by colddog04

As it is highly likely that the bulk of MoP sales were digital/direct upgrades its hard to see how retail figures could indicate anything, and massively were probably just quoting venturebeat..  a source which, lets face it, probably has less credibility than xfire numbers image

It's still not looking good in comparison to previous expansions. Earlier in the year they reported subs to be down to 9 million (from the 12 million in their last release). They do appear to be having a bit of a dip here. In the end, they just aren't doing as well as they once did. However, I'd still say the are doing pretty awesome, especially for how old the game is.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Not going to happen.

Can I quote you on that?

That....really has nothing to do with anything at all. He stated only that microtransactions were a part of the plan, nowhere does he say it's their main source of revenue. As population settles, the people willing to purchase gems and sell them for gold will gradually decline, but the most stable source of income being the boxes, something that will rise exponentially once several expansions are out for the game all with their own box cost. That's what they're counting on, and that's why they're not just going to get rid of it.

Puting it on sale however, is different, and something they did often with GW1.

For me its a different gaming climate than when GW was released and players are less likely to stump up for a client when most of the current MMO's are free, I feel the pressure will be too much eventually.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

You do realize there are more than 2 people on the forum right. . so the people saying X fire doesn't count generally keep saying that.  There is not a hive mind collective of BORG who love or hate a game and make collective posts. . even if it seems that way.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Yamota

Not surprisingly, after release of Mists of Pandaria, WoW is back at number 1 and GW 2 takes a 10% dip in number of players on XFire.

Will it last though? I was kind of expecting a bigger drop for GW 2 but the weekend is still ahead of us.

Oh God, not another Xfire thread...  These are getting beyond tedious.  Can't we shove them all into a Sticky at the top of the page, so that the Xfire nerds can all congregate there and sing "Kum ba yah" around a campfire?  The normals are getting fed up with these popping up on multiple forums.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Yamota

Not surprisingly, after release of Mists of Pandaria, WoW is back at number 1 and GW 2 takes a 10% dip in number of players on XFire.

Will it last though? I was kind of expecting a bigger drop for GW 2 but the weekend is still ahead of us.

Yup, WoW back as #1 MMO (not counting LoL as MMO...). But looking at the amount of played hours, I gotta say that I am a bit surprised by how LOW that is for a new expansion released. In the past WoW used to be on #2 with about 20K hours below LoL, but now it's only on half the time of LoL.

Lets wait a month and see how WoW numbers will be then. Much like we did with GW2 (well, I did...)

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

new update

WoW have 57412 hours played and its weekend where there should be increase in hours played

yesterday it was 58681

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

nononononononoes,   from what I hear EVERYONE (INCLUDING YOU) is using Xfire.

btw, what exactly is Xfire?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

This discussion has been closed.