Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MoP sales really this low ?

roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Just saw this on massively . I did think sales would be down but this is lot lower than I'd anticipated . To be honest I think its way too low to be accurate even if its doesn't include digital sales . Still it will be intersting to see the offical sales figures when they come out .

Comments

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99
    People are starting to open their eyes...
  • abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by escarreta

Or you know, the game is just getting old and people are moving on. Low sales isn't an automatic indication that the interwebz has suddenly come to some conclusion that WoW is a terribad game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

thats a retail estimate

im expecting most of MOP sales to be digital

expresso commented in a different thread

when D3 sold 3.5m its first day -- 2.5million of those sales were digital

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/diablo-iii-sells-1m-at-retail-max-payne-3-hits-400k-in-may-npd-6382708

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I don't know anyone who bought a box version of the expansion instead of the digital version. The expansion is already downloaded. You wouldn't even have to insert the discs into the computer.

Yet they discount the relevence of the digital sales...yeah...ok...

So this little "story" is completely useless. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Won't they sell a lot more when it ships to asia?
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by roo67

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Just saw this on massively . I did think sales would be down but this is lot lower than I'd anticipated . To be honest I think its way too low to be accurate even if its doesn't include digital sales . Still it will be intersting to see the offical sales figures when they come out .

Who in the hell buys box sets of WoW expansions in the first place?  

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't know anyone who bought a box version of the expansion instead of the digital version. The expansion is already downloaded. You wouldn't even have to insert the discs into the computer.

Have to agree here. The shear number of digital delux/CE mounts that were running around when the MoP patch dropped a month ago says this could be their first expansion to have digitals outsell boxed copies.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by abyss404
    Originally posted by escarreta

Or you know, the game is just getting old and people are moving on. Low sales isn't an automatic indication that the interwebz has suddenly come to some conclusion that WoW is a terribad game.

I think WoW is far from  terrible . Its not something I would want to play like I once did as its content has been watered down so much its not worth spending a lot of time in anymore . The problem is this is an indication of not just a smalll decline (if true) . This is something Blizzard as a company will have to take notice of . If I was a shareholder in Bliz I would be extemly concerned about this . I would want answers as to why this had happened and I would want heads to roll . I would also question whether the game was going in the right direction and how to bring back people to it .

This may all be for the best eventually . Its a wake up call maybe . But lets wait and see what digital sales are like .

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Draemos

Who in the hell buys box sets of WoW expansions in the first place?  

Pretty sure it's just the guys over at VentureBeat...  image

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Unlike other MMOs zone design still favours solo play.  Mob density was nerfed to the ground, 'Elite' mobs are no longer elite, resource nodes are not sharable and this being WoW PvP players have set up NPC death squads to keep questgivers dead.  Also mobs are not sharable, first to tag gets credit, xp and loot.  Furthermore PvP players were let off the leash on RP and PvE realms as initially realm type was ignored in crossing. 

They took part of a good idea and ignored the rest resulting in a Massively Miserable Online Roleplayer Ganking game.

Quote from EccentricaJones from http://massively.joystiq.com

Seems like they had a Illum moment that hurt pve-rp players experience by letting pvp exclusive players go on a griefing farm. This usually ends up being a turn off from people waiting to play the game after bugs are worked out since it becomes A focus point at bad development. However Amazon and Gamestop are retail stores that offer digital download. So regardless some digital download sales were in the initial count. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    There's a couple of things.  I think the majority of sales this time was from digital download...There were probably more than 2 million pre-orders of digital download alone hehe.  Also, just from what i've noticed, I have characters on 3 different servers, and all of them have had queues during primetime, and that hasn't happened since TBC on one of them.  So there has to be some there.  One of my servers has had a 10-100 player queue since MoP has launched no matter what time of day.  I logged in last night at 2am to say good night to some friends, and it has a 22 player queue...at 2am central :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Have to agree here. The shear number of digital delux/CE mounts that were running around when the MoP patch dropped a month ago says this could be their first expansion to have digitals outsell boxed copies.

Most definitely, there isnt any evidence to suggest the game didnt sell well at all, and 'retail' sales could well represent less than 10 percent of overall sales, although some people do prefer boxed/physical discs vs digital, fewer retailers stock PC games now, its often the case that the only real choice is mail order or digital, and mail order sometimes means additional costs for postage etc.  At some point hopefully we'll get more data on sales figures that include digital, it would be interesting in itself, just for the information on what percentage each category represented.image

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Let the digital count come out. Hold on to your pants a little bit longer. In my guess MOP has easily sold around 2 to 2.5 million in digital alone.
  • gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    This might likely be the beginning of a decline but there is no chance in hell its a collasp.  So i do not think thos eare the sales.
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Ive bought it  but havent logged in for more than 10 mins. Wow doesnt interest me as much as it once did, but  ive invested too much time in it to ignore the expansion.
    Originally posted by Weretigar

However Amazon and Gamestop are retail stores that offer digital download.

So regardless some digital download sales were in the initial count. 

there are no digital download offered for MOP - at either amazon or gamestop

its an irrelevant assumption

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I wouldn't be surprised if Digital Sales do outsell Boxed copies this time around, but there are two things I find "troubling" for Blizzard:

1) The very large number of Low and Medium Pop Servers - even on Launch Day in "Primetime" (every Server I used to play on stayed pegged at Medium)

2) X-Fire Number of Players - Last I checked it still hadn't broken 10k. That number is way down from where WoW used to be.

I'm sure the expansion will turn a profit for Blizzard and sell millions of copies. Internally though I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard considers MoP a disappointment (at least initially) - people just aren't coming back to the game in close to the numbers that they wanted to see.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Phry

Most definitely, there isnt any evidence to suggest the game didnt sell well at all, and 'retail' sales could well represent less than 10 percent of overall sales, although some people do prefer boxed/physical discs vs digital, fewer retailers stock PC games now, its often the case that the only real choice is mail order or digital, and mail order sometimes means additional costs for postage etc.  At some point hopefully we'll get more data on sales figures that include digital, it would be interesting in itself, just for the information on what percentage each category represented.image

Your math doesn't add up . If the retail sold 700 thousand boxed games then that would mean digital downloads would account for 6 million +  by your estimates which far exceeds Cataclysm which is unlikly . As someone else said the game isnt released in China yet so every single person playing WoW in the west would have had to have brought a digital download on day one .

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Weretigar

However Amazon and Gamestop are retail stores that offer digital download.

So regardless some digital download sales were in the initial count. 

there are no digital download offered for MOP - at either amazon or gamestop

its an irrelevant assumption

Your right this is the only MMO thats come out in the last year that hasn't had a digital download. Thank you for pointing this out.   It seems that they are limiting digital downloads to only their website for greed purposes. 

Most definitely, there isnt any evidence to suggest the game didnt sell well at all, and 'retail' sales could well represent less than 10 percent of overall sales

Your math doesn't add up . If the retail sold 700 thousand boxed games then that would mean digital downloads would account for 6 million +  by your estimates which far exceeds Cataclysm which is unlikly . As someone else said the game isnt released in China yet so every single person playing WoW in the west would have had to have brought a digital download on day one .

i think he just threw out the 10% (implying digital sales wll be 9x higher)

im expecting digital sales to be 2 times higher than retail sales for MOP

ballpark of 2m - 2.4m total sales for MOP US/EU

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

there isnt any data yet released for digital downloads, as they are only available from Blizzard themselves, my contention is that its the digital version that is the primary one, oddly enough, you can upgrade your game account to MoP just by clicking a button on the launcher itself, something i did myself, it was fast and relatively painless. the only reason imo, to get the retail version, would be to buy the CE, which i never do for any game. As for my 'math' being inaccurate, until we get some kind of hard data from Blizzard, or a statement from them at least saying what their sales numbers were, both retail and digital, remains to be seen whether my 'guestimate' is 'spot on' or 'optimistic'  i am confident however, that Digital sales direct from Blizzard represent a far higher proportion of sales than the boxed retail version.image

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    The digital sales through Battlenet are very relevant since it immediately gave the user access to the MoP mount and pet weeks before the xpac released. So I think since digital upgrades were fairly incentived it skews the data too much to even discuss.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Lazard doesn't take digital sales into account

'Nuff said.

Anyone who thinks digital sales aren't a large portion of overall sales are naive and living in the past.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Interesting, seems like people aren't into the same old gear grind anymore.

Nice to see eyes opening up instead of staying glued shut.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

One important caveat is that Lazard doesn't take digital sales into account, but VentureBeat reports that the firm believes "digital sales won't make up for [MoP's] poor retail performance."

Lolwut? The game was pre-downloaded and required just a few clicks to upgrade via the browser or the client itself. I'm surprised box sales are even that high.

But yeah, let's go ahead and get as much bad press as we can in before the actual numbers are announced. And, remember, it's always a good idea to present speculation as fact.

This discussion has been closed.