Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The time to bring back Sandboxes IS NOW!

1235»

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Op as you pointed out Darkfall Unholy Wars is a sandbox coming out soon (?)

DArkfall 1.0 was a shining example of all that good in sandboxes no strict lass yadda yadda yadda.

Its been no where near 8 years since it was releaased so your misinformed post does you no credit.

So you have Archage, DFUW and a few other sandbox games coming out soon what are you yammering about?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Ghost12
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    What I meant with the hybrid thing and the mention of a more sandboxy gw2 was. One of the big things that put people of sandboxes is ffa full loot pvp, but on the other had no pvp gets boring fast.

If you had some sort of sandbox themepark hybrid, where you play on your own server in a fully pve environment, but travel to a battle server which is pvp flagged, that might work. You could even have 2 places to travel too, one with faction based warfare against other servers, the other bring ffa and guild based.

Hybrid idea sounds wonderful.

But why does it have to be ffa full loot? Why not partial loot? image

DAOC was a hybrid (aka: Sandpark).

Just saynig....

At first I was going to disagree with you, but then looking at this list of features posted earlier it seems it had many of them, so perhaps you're right.

+ Classless system/Skill based (think TES Skyrim and Oblivion)

+ Open world

+ Player creation of items (crafting)

+ Player Housing and furnishing

+ Focus on big, epic quests rather than smaller ones

+ Player cities

+ Harsher death penalty

+ Guild political control > conquering other cities

+ Open economy

+ Meaningful PvP

+ Strong Roleplaying foundation

+ Generally more deeper gameplay, with the theme of being what you want to be, then being in a pre-defined role.

+ A focus on player freedom

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Gdemami

There is a saying; Only a fool does the same thing over and over again and expects different results.

How many sandbox titles did we have after EVE that fell flat on their faces?

Not many? Compared to the amont of themeparks that came out, that amount is miniscule.

Compared to the amount of themepark players, the sandbox market is miniscule.

Sandbox players cant even agree on what they want in a game, making a sandbox game is extremely high risk and very low potential reward for developers, which is why you will only continue to see indie developers making sandbox games for the love of it. But don't expect anything big budget in the near future until a sandbox game proves to be a success (other than EVE, which is in its own odd little niche).

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Talula:
    Aion failed harder in Europe. Not because don't like pvp games, but because we are less used to Asian styling than north Americans.

I include the EU with NA as both seem to gravitate to similiar MMOs. I should start using EU/NA.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Look @ this thread TESO, Warhammer 40k Onlime, and NeverWinter Online devs.

We haven't wanted Themeparks for the past 5+years! That's what you're creating, a soon-to-be-failure if you continue on your current route.

I still want themeparks  *shrugs*

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

There is a saying; Only a fool does the same thing over and over again and expects different results.

How many properly funded, big budget sandbox titles have fell flat on their faces? ZERO. Because none has been made as publishers refuse to fund sandbox titles as they are too different from WoW.

And I 100% agree with OP. The notion that sandbox titles dont work is a myth. None has worked because non has been properly funded and, believe it or not, a commercial MMORPG requires a massive amounts of cash to develop, in the millions, tens of millions. And that is the only reason why there are no commercial sandbox games. Because they are not being funded. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    What I meant with the hybrid thing and the mention of a more sandboxy gw2 was. One of the big things that put people of sandboxes is ffa full loot pvp, but on the other had no pvp gets boring fast.

If you had some sort of sandbox themepark hybrid, where you play on your own server in a fully pve environment, but travel to a battle server which is pvp flagged, that might work. You could even have 2 places to travel too, one with faction based warfare against other servers, the other bring ffa and guild based.

Hybrid idea sounds wonderful.

But why does it have to be ffa full loot? Why not partial loot? image

DAOC was a hybrid (aka: Sandpark).

Just saynig....

At first I was going to disagree with you, but then looking at this list of features posted earlier it seems it had many of them, so perhaps you're right.

+ Classless system/Skill based (think TES Skyrim and Oblivion)

+ Open world

+ Player creation of items (crafting)

+ Player Housing and furnishing

+ Focus on big, epic quests rather than smaller ones

+ Player cities

+ Harsher death penalty

+ Guild political control > conquering other cities

+ Open economy

+ Meaningful PvP

+ Strong Roleplaying foundation

+ Generally more deeper gameplay, with the theme of being what you want to be, then being in a pre-defined role.

+ A focus on player freedom

Where did you get this list? The items in red were NOT in DAOC.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by dinams Good intention, bad execution All I see in the OP is yelling and propheticizing to the masses while manifesting the OP hatred for themeparks  
    Nobody hates themeparks but many hate the endgame once all the rides are done.

A lot of people would like to see a mixture of both themepark and sandbox with a bias towards sandbox.

This should make things less predictable and assist longevity.

This.

We need a good hybrid, where there's enjoable PvE on the one, and meaningful PvP on the other side not divided by servers.

EvE Online shows that it can be done, allthough as was stated before, the PvE-missions and complex are not that good.

ArcheAge seems to be the first MMO that tries to be that kind of hybrid, and they take the right approach by dividing the world into three islands, where two of them are PvE-centered and the third is 100% PvP-centered. A good crafting-system and good economy ontop, but we'll have to wait and see as it's not released in EU/NA for atleast another 12 month.

SWG had alot of this allready, but it killed itself with the NGE-patch alienating it's initial playerbase.

The so called sandboxes that failed in the last few years were no sandboxes actually. They were nothing else then "shooters" with some character-progression and a core crafting-system tacked on... yes I'm speaking of Darkfail, Mortal Online and Earthrise here.
    They lacked what EvE managed to get right: safer areas for the "carebears" and a living economy. Also PvP in EvE, especially in 0.0 was never that meaningless, but a fight for ressources primarily to gain economical power.

So, here's waiting for ArcheAge during the next year to come, while playing things like Borderlands 2, WarZ or Tetris.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

We haven't wanted Themeparks for the past 5+years! That's what you're creating, a soon-to-be-failure if you continue on your current route.

The only thing failing is some of the soon to be released  sandboxes, yes my opinion just as you have yours. Neverwinter online will do tons better then Darkfall unholy wars (your next due to be release godsend sandbox game) Get over it and your narrow everyone wants/must play my way mind set.

Right now Darkfall Unholy wars is much more hyped on mmorpg.com hype meter then neverwinter all the same I'd bet you good money Neverwinter will do much better. Difference between you and me being I'm not stating all upcoming sandboxes will be a fail, while you state all upcoming theme parks will.

Originally posted by evilastro

Not many? Compared to the amont of themeparks that came out, that amount is miniscule.

Compared to the amount of themepark players, the sandbox market is miniscule.

Sandbox players cant even agree on what they want in a game, making a sandbox game is extremely high risk and very low potential reward for developers, which is why you will only continue to see indie developers making sandbox games for the love of it. But don't expect anything big budget in the near future until a sandbox game proves to be a success (other than EVE, which is in its own odd little niche).

You have absolutely zero evidence to prove this statement. There has not been a reliable measuring of the sandbox player population to make such a bold statement.

Remember, WoW (and the copies there-of) are only a small fraction of the total market (~20%).

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Same here. *shares a /shrug

I hope every Sandbox lover on this site invests money into Darkfall:(can't remember) 2.0. If you want sandboxes to succeed, someone has to support the ones out there. And don't give me that "current sandboxes suck" crap. IMO they all suck, so that doesn't move me.

Show support so the devs see you, rather than just hear your bitching.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by winter

The only thing failing is some of the soon to be released  sandboxes, yes my opinion just as you have yours. Neverwinter online will do tons better then Darkfall unholy wars (your next due to be release godsend sandbox game) Get over it and your narrow everyone wants/must play my way mind set.

Right now Darkfall Unholy wars is much more hyped on mmorpg.com hype meter then neverwinter all the same I'd bet you good money Neverwinter will do much better. Difference between you and me being I'm not stating all upcoming sandboxes will be a fail, while you state all upcoming theme parks will.

With the travesty that was Darkfall #1 most sandboxers i know are not touching #2. However, TESO, Warhammer 40k, and NeverWinter Online are all deemed failures to be so far by the market.

They're each linear themeparks, Warhammer 40k being a direct clone of WoW (lead dev admission), and TESO a SWTOR clone (again, lead dev admission). NeverWinter Online simply looks aweful, and the information they've provided coupled with the company making it having a crap track record (Cryptic) is simply fueling this argument.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

I think if they come out with a good half themepark half sandbox. It would do great. Something like the NGE SWG. without the backlash of changing a game from a pure sandbox.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Same here. *shares a /shurg

I hope every Sandbox lover on this site invests money into Darkfall:(can't remember) 2.0. If you want sandboxes to suceed, someone has to support the ones out there. And don't give me that "current sandboxes suck" crap. IMO they all suck, so that doesn't move me.

The problem is WHO to support. The company doing Darkfall 2.0 is a very VERY mismanaged one, and low budget at that. I wouldn't want to invest into Darkfall 2 even if I had a couple million to throw around.

That's coming from an avid Sandbox fan :).

Also, why do you enjoy playing someone else's hand-written story (Linear Themeparks)? Is it that you're using it as an alternative form of a Book/Movie? :o

Originally posted by winter

With the travesty that was Darkfall #1 most sandboxers i know are not touching #2. However, TESO, Warhammer 40k, and NeverWinter Online are all deemed failures to be so far by the market.

They're each linear themeparks, Warhammer 40k being a direct clone of WoW (lead dev admission), and TESO a SWTOR clone (again, lead dev admission). NeverWinter Online simply looks aweful, and the information they've provided coupled with the company making it having a crap track record (Cryptic) is simply fueling this argument.

Just going to fill in some peeps here, 40k won't be an MMO. That was scrapped with THQs financial issues.

Continue on...............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Bitching is free.  :shrug:  It will never cease to be popular.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Also, why do you enjoy playing someone else's hand-written story (Linear Themeparks)? Is it that you're using it as an alternative form of a Book/Movie? :o

Yes, just like every other game I play.

Problem?

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94
    If you're looking for a sandbox, pickup DF2 when it's released.  It will be a fresh server and as long as you get in with a solid clan it's the most fun you will have if you are into sandbox games.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

/signed

- Disgruntled Gamer

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Same here. *shares a /shurg

I hope every Sandbox lover on this site invests money into Darkfall:(can't remember) 2.0. If you want sandboxes to suceed, someone has to support the ones out there. And don't give me that "current sandboxes suck" crap. IMO they all suck, so that doesn't move me.

The problem is WHO to support. The company doing Darkfall 2.0 is a very VERY mismanaged one, and low budget at that. I wouldn't want to invest into Darkfall 2 even if I had a couple million to throw around.

That's coming from an avid Sandbox fan :).

Yes, I am...a interactive movie/book.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The time may be now, but the place for this discussion is here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/317478/Sandbox-vs-Themepark-Discussion-Thread.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.