Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell me on the idea of giving this game a try

2»

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Onigod
    Originally posted by Nizur

And the best thing one of the reasons to rebuild from the ground up was to remove this "load lagg" when another player would get somewhat close to you so you are now no longer warned by a little lagg spyke that a player is nearby.

Wich is a HUGE deal in a game like this and im so glad it will finally be gone.  now you really need to use the enviroment,sounds instead of doing whatever and wait for the little lagg spike.  in df 1 people would just run around on mounts waiting for a load lagg to know someone is hunting mobs nearby or that someone is gathering recourses. this will remove alot of the "lame" parts.

Yeah. It worked both ways. I would lag whenever someone else was nearby, and that would alert me to be on my best defense. As much as I liked that at times, I'm glad it'll be gone.

Yea it will make farming and such alot more fun,  you never know whos trying to sneak up to you:)

Well, I hope somebody farms for stuff, but the real farming is to farm the farmers.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Nizur

And the best thing one of the reasons to rebuild from the ground up was to remove this "load lagg" when another player would get somewhat close to you so you are now no longer warned by a little lagg spyke that a player is nearby.

Wich is a HUGE deal in a game like this and im so glad it will finally be gone.  now you really need to use the enviroment,sounds instead of doing whatever and wait for the little lagg spike.  in df 1 people would just run around on mounts waiting for a load lagg to know someone is hunting mobs nearby or that someone is gathering recourses. this will remove alot of the "lame" parts.

Yeah. It worked both ways. I would lag whenever someone else was nearby, and that would alert me to be on my best defense. As much as I liked that at times, I'm glad it'll be gone.

Yea it will make farming and such alot more fun,  you never know whos trying to sneak up to you:)

Well, I hope somebody farms for stuff, but the real farming is to farm the farmers.

There could be profit in selling your services as a bodyguard for farmers.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Sorry I played the game for about a week about a year after launch and the combat was that bad.  It isnt as slow as say vanguards but it is no wheres near as responsive and fast paced as WoW's or GW2's.  Seeing as combat is the main source of interaction in a game it is the only thing that will make or break it so I am hoping they fix it.  Bad combat animations and smoothness is the main reason why I quit WAR and Rift.

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. One week of playing does not provide enough experience to judge DF's combat system.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Biskop

Sorry I played the game for about a week about a year after launch and the combat was that bad.  It isnt as slow as say vanguards but it is no wheres near as responsive and fast paced as WoW's or GW2's.  Seeing as combat is the main source of interaction in a game it is the only thing that will make or break it so I am hoping they fix it.  Bad combat animations and smoothness is the main reason why I quit WAR and Rift.

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. One week of playing does not provide enough experience to judge DF's combat system.

His post isnt deserved to recieve a quote as df1.0 gets pretty fast paced later on and there are other things to think about (your position,aiming)

Hell be one of the many guys buying darkfall:uw not really understanding what they are going into and then leave it with a sad face but atleast av will make some money out of them.  comparing df combat to the combat of wow and gw2.. trolls be trolls. 

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

I second that, espeacially at launch when progression was actually hard.

Go youtube some DF pvp videos, its anything but slow.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    This is pretty simple, if you dont mind being dry looted when you die, and sent back to your bind stone naked then you will probably like everything else in the game, because everything else in the game is pretty fun.
  • gabbelgabbel Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Well if the OP likes Dayz , Darkfall will be a much greater expierince. But i would recommend to join a nice guild.
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

I remember a Sunthrone siege long ago when I spent much of the siege baking bread at the oven and running it out to the guys on the walls, then doing arrows, then more bread.  And we won.   Not all pvp is about being a pvper - in long battles, logistics matters a lot.  Sadly much of the more recent Darkfall has become badly unbalanced, such that long battles hardly ever occurred, there really were players with skills and gear how could and did easily go 1 vs 12, and win.  Get 10 of those "unkillable" vets, and unless the other side had the same, the end was often short and very brutal - and not much fun for anyone, because the outcome was predetermined by gear, no tactics needed.

The single largest reason this new game will be so much more fun is the redesign of the player cities - suddenly walls will actually be walls, and pitched battles to breech and defend the walls are far more likely to return to the game.  In particular, the "super-heavy tank mage crossbuffed to insanity" will be gone.  When I first started DF, I didn't really care much for pvp.  But now I long for huge pitched battles, and hope that in DF:UW there really will be some of the classic hours long wars where people are yelling out for combat bakers.

• enticleenticle Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Flute

I remember a Sunthrone siege long ago when I spent much of the siege baking bread at the oven and running it out to the guys on the walls, then doing arrows, then more bread.  And we won.   Not all pvp is about being a pvper - in long battles, logistics matters a lot. 

That should never happen in a seige, that's just being severely unprepared.

Sadly much of the more recent Darkfall has become badly unbalanced, such that long battles hardly ever occurred, there really were players with skills and gear how could and did easily go 1 vs 12, and win.  Get 10 of those "unkillable" vets, and unless the other side had the same, the end was often short and very brutal - and not much fun for anyone, because the outcome was predetermined by gear, no tactics needed.

Have you even played darkfall recently? It's nothing like what you're complaining about. It's way more balanced than it has ever been. You can max out a character completely in a month easily, unlike previously were you had to macro forever to have a stronger character. Those players who went 1vs10 and won, would have won because they were better players. Gear helps, but it won't make you invincible. This wouldn't happen unless they were killing new players who still don't understand the game. What's the fun in that anyways? You should educate yourself somewhat on the current game. 

The game is more balanced than it will ever be, since knowledge of what to do and use is widely known. There's no game braking bugs like at the start of the game that gave people huge advantages.

If you want to experience an unbalanced game wait for DF UW to come out. There will be bugs and people will keep mostly everything they find out to themselves. It will be like the the start of darkfall all over again, I can't wait though, should be great.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by redman875

Its slower and more cumbersome then WoW or GW2 which I consider the gold standard for MMO combat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• enticleenticle Member Posts: 32

Its slower and more cumbersome then WoW or GW2 which I consider the gold standard for MMO combat.

I think you're lost :p

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Zylaxx Sorry I played the game for about a week about a year after launch and the combat was that bad.  It isnt as slow as say vanguards but it is no wheres near as responsive and fast paced as WoW's or GW2's.  Seeing as combat is the main source of interaction in a game it is the only thing that will make or break it so I am hoping they fix it.  Bad combat animations and smoothness is the main reason why I quit WAR and Rift.
    I second that, espeacially at launch when progression was actually hard. Go youtube some DF pvp videos, its anything but slow.

I was playing WoW for 3 years and DF for 2. And I assure you DF combat is way faster. Movement in DF is the matter of life and death. And I ain't saying about all those skills and spells, and many other things you gotta manage. I'd say DF combat is too fast for a lot of people. You very often just can't follow your opponent in melee - if you're bad. It seems so simple - just trade hits and like, but good player will kill you without losing more than 20% of his health (I mean equally developed characters of course). Because he knows how to move properly.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Well, as for the OP, I can say this.  Supposedly they will be cutting off newbies from the normal game world.  Whether that's instanced or out on an island, or off in the corner of the world, I do not know.  But, it is something to look into, and it may ease the camping and newbie killing problem.  

I am sad to hear that they are keeping FPV for ranged combat.  I've always thought that if you are going to build such a dangerous environment for your players, you better give them every opportunity to avoid unwanted encounters.  Clearly, one of those things is player perspective.  Which ties into combat and a large part of why their combat system is so 'clunky'.  You have three modes, UI mode, movement and combat.  Since you already have to switch between them and change your weapons, pre-load spells and abilities, why force players in and out of 1st and 3rd person dozens of times during combat?  The fluidity of combat is horrendous in DF in my opinion.  When it's hard enough to draw in customers in a 'nche' market, why make it even harder to sell your game by including such a bizarre and unconventional combat system?  I'm not really an advocate for the tab target system, but anything has got to be better than what we have now.

A lot of parts of this game are getting some well deserved love.  I will likely give it a go again, once Unholy Wars is live.  I fear however, that my disdain for the combat system will yet again send me packing within a month or so.  It's really that much of an issue for me.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Well, as for the OP, I can say this.  Supposedly they will be cutting off newbies from the normal game world.  Whether that's instanced or out on an island, or off in the corner of the world, I do not know.  But, it is something to look into, and it may ease the camping and newbie killing problem.  

I am sad to hear that they are keeping FPV for ranged combat.  I've always thought that if you are going to build such a dangerous environment for your players, you better give them every opportunity to avoid unwanted encounters.  Clearly, one of those things is player perspective.  Which ties into combat and a large part of why their combat system is so 'clunky'.  You have three modes, UI mode, movement and combat.  Since you already have to switch between them and change your weapons, pre-load spells and abilities, why force players in and out of 1st and 3rd person dozens of times during combat?  The fluidity of combat is horrendous in DF in my opinion.  When it's hard enough to draw in customers in a 'nche' market, why make it even harder to sell your game by including such a bizarre and unconventional combat system?  I'm not really an advocate for the tab target system, but anything has got to be better than what we have now.

A lot of parts of this game are getting some well deserved love.  I will likely give it a go again, once Unholy Wars is live.  I fear however, that my disdain for the combat system will yet again send me packing within a month or so.  It's really that much of an issue for me.

Same for me.  Even though I too prefer 3rd person at all times I can cope with FPV in ranged mode but the combat and more importantly the combat animations has to be near perfect/fluid to even warrant my time.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by enticle

I think you're lost :p

Or it's highly likely that he hasn't found out about all the macro's and scripts DF players run to be effective in combat.

I'd put my money on it.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

The fact that you compare DF's combat to WOW proves that you are talking out of your *** here.

Totally differenet styles of combat, totally different levels of skill involved. Compairing them is totally meaningless.

You come here asking questions. Please accept that others here know more about DF's combat than you do, and that their judgment is more adquate than yours on this matter.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

I am not a huge PvP'er, and I dont like FFA Full loot PvP but I am willing to give this game a shot since what little bit of information I have read has piqued my intrest somewhat.  I can forgo the full loot system somewhat because I did enjoy DayZ immensely so there is some hope for me. 

I actually enjoyed the first game somewhat, I loved the freedom of the sandbox model but didn't like getting camped ad-naseum from asshats left and right but thats only because I tried the game a year after release and there was zero community to speak of.

My main concerns is th ecombat and UI elements.  I read they are changing the UI somewhat, I prefer a normal traditional UI and DF's original UI was really bad and not condusive to fluid game play.  I also understand thye are keeping FPS style for ranged and magic which I dont particularly like but can live with.  The big turn off (besides the full loot PvP) was the combat was jsut damn awful, slow and un responsive, has this changed at all?  IMO the first DF had very mediocre F2P style combat animations.

Please tell me your trolling when you say slow and unresponsive,

DF combat is epic, you have to have true player skill to be good.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

you talking more rubish here again, Im a DF vet, the combat owns these games ten times over. Both WoW and GW2 are baby tab target games for god sake.

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

you talking more rubish here again, Im a DF vet, the combat owns these games ten times over. Both WoW and GW2 are baby tab target games for god sake.

It is your opinion.  Unfortunately, the DF combat system in almost every way is inferior to combat systems in games like WoW and RIFT, even AoC. (which is more of a hybrid)  I personally believe DF's combat has poor animations, the switch between perspectives between melle and ranged combat is unsettling to say the least, and having to pre-load spells and abilities, and then cast them is redundant and less effective.  

Give us your reasoning.  Thinking that FPS style is cooler than TPV tab-targetting is an opinion, not a reason.