Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The War Z: Zombies, Horror, Survival, OH MY!

2»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

From what I have read from their devs, War Z was in development before Day Z hit the scene.  They were really pleased with the interest in the genre though.   And Day Z is the best argument for interest in sandbox play in years.  We'll see if War Z can design it well enough to withstand the hackers, and give it legs vs the greifers inevitable attempts to screw things up.

Hope it does well, never can have enough good zombie games.... 

Right, they just happened on the similar name and concept.  I have a hard time believing that is true. 

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

WarZ..DayZ...who cares? It's not like the name DayZ is that original..it was obviously inspired by the Novel "World War Z" (2006 by Max Brooks..son of Mel Brooks) Also about..doh!..the zombie apocalypse...or even possibly the mention of Z-Day in the News reports at the end of "Shaun of the Dead"(2004).

I think  WarZ looks like a good mixture of survival and multiplayer FPS. An earlier thread..a few months ago points out it graphic similarity (i.e practically identical) to War Inc. Only tweaked a bit for the better. I actually find War Inc very entertaining so WarZ will be even better imo.

• TeikkTeikk Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian

Doesn't look like an MMO. Looks more like a DayZ ripoff.

Its obviously a WoW ripoff what are you smoking? .... errm anyway who cares which 1 is made first i dont care if they used the name DayZpart DEUX  !! Its zombie survival horror which = lots of shootin zombies. As far as griefters and full PVP goes i think theyve got the right idea with the death timer going on = you wont piss off to many people b4 they put a bounty on your head and you have people gunning for you every where you run.

Besides with a character limit of 5 and a normal death timer of 24 hours after you die? ya i dont think many people will be as eager as you think to just start knockin people off especialy if there is a kind of message that say ooo

YOu wer just killed by player "JoeBoB1"

YOU ARE DEAD!!

In this case my first priority upon loggin in on my next toon that isnt on lockout is to put the biggest bounty i can afford on t his guy and all of his alts or roundin up some buddies and hunting him down myself. Basicaly if they can add some message where you cant just anonymously  kill people they are set.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

160 kilometers wide by presumably 160 kilometers high is 25,600 square kilometers. Divide that by 200 players per server and it is 128 sq km per player. That is silly huge.

Either something is seriously wrong with his numbers or players will never find each other outside of hot spots likes cities etc. 

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Sounds nice and cool, but if I wander around for 50km exploring, and get randomly sniped by some douche; yeah - sorry. I'd e-rage hard.

The game model is not good enough for the casual player. The idea is to punish excessive stupiduty by players with debuffs or similar, not reward the creepers who will sit on mountain tops and snipe noobs exploring. Will be interesting to see how long the rush-to-play-a-anew-zombie-game-community sticks around after the novelty wears off...

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

game sounds interesting BUT the biggest issue i have with it, is the fact i can be perma killed for no reason by some prick. it feels like its going to punish the more "neive helpful" player over the solo artist.

while i dont mind pvp in a survival style game like warz i cant help feel like ill be punished more by players then zombies. much like you see in dayz lps.  as much fun as that sounds, it not my cup of tea to be greifed and killed every day.  more so if the phat looootz is only on hardcore..

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Hm...in normal mode your character will be dead for 24 to 48 hours and when all 5 are dead you can't play the game for 1 or 2 days? O.o Sounds like hardcore mode is much more forgiving, you die and lose that character, make a new one and play on. Even though its a none sub game it doesn't look like a smart business model to exclude gamers for 24 to 48 hours when all 5 characters are dead, and knowing that its fully Pvp i think most people run out of characters rather soon (i know i will).

O well atleast they bring a punishement system to the game, that is more than in regular MMO's where you pay a few copper to repair your gear after you died.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Great write up Rip. Looks like Day Z will have some competition after all....

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    This game sounds tasteful! I love the idea of this game , can't wait!
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Jorendo

Hm...in normal mode your character will be dead for 24 to 48 hours and when all 5 are dead you can't play the game for 1 or 2 days? O.o Sounds like hardcore mode is much more forgiving, you die and lose that character, make a new one and play on. Even though its a none sub game it doesn't look like a smart business model to exclude gamers for 24 to 48 hours when all 5 characters are dead, and knowing that its fully Pvp i think most people run out of characters rather soon (i know i will).

O well atleast they bring a punishement system to the game, that is more than in regular MMO's where you pay a few copper to repair your gear after you died.

The game has a cash shop, do you not think one of the options will be to buy more lives so you aren't locked out?

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

Sounds nice and cool, but if I wander around for 50km exploring, and get randomly sniped by some douche; yeah - sorry. I'd e-rage hard.

The game model is not good enough for the casual player. The idea is to punish excessive stupiduty by players with debuffs or similar, not reward the creepers who will sit on mountain tops and snipe noobs exploring. Will be interesting to see how long the rush-to-play-a-anew-zombie-game-community sticks around after the novelty wears off...

Sniping happens in DayZ but it all depends how many players are in each game in dayz it's never more than 50. There are hotspots that you have to be careful not to get sniped in but the rest of the map the chance of you getting sniped while walking in some random location are almost nil.

Not every game has to be created to cater to the casual player though, I am fairly casual these days but I will put in the time with a hardcore game if it is good enough.

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Just FYI, I've already asked their PR to give us a bazillion Beta Keys when they're able, because you nuts will eat them up.  :)  Here's hoping we can land some for you lot.

Thank u very much! Maybe once i will be lucky enough to get my first ever beta key >.<

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Great write up Rip. Looks like Day Z will have some competition after all....

:D

Thanks Big Country!

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
    Timer deaths sound lame. I mean, if it's on a hardcore server, ok but on regular servers? Stupid.
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

I can see the 200 limit servers as something like these are the only people left that the world knows of (beyond npcs).

The other thing that bothers me is the death timer or death and gone, especially in a game with Snipers and full blown pvp.  I've been in games like that though the shock/scare value is there it's just the time spent.  I suppose though if you have nothing of value other then weapons to lose (skills points, levels) then it's something to expect, so you can't cry when you die.

I guess it'll be something to try out first before committing.  Least there's no subscription so that helps to play a Call of Duty style game when you're bored.

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    would be nice if in the permdeath mode when you died you came back as a npc zombie.
  • alicebeautexalicebeautex Member Posts: 6
    Hey this is interesting. I would love to try it. :)
  • DaddyThugDaddyThug Member Posts: 1

Great article, I am looking forward to this. I see a major problem developing however with the PvP system. It wont be long before the griefers end up with all the best gear, and many of us end up on server lockouts waiting for our death timers. Played several games with Bounty Boards, and watched many bounties start racking into the millions, and yet no one could seem to collect....and how long before some of these guys get wise and get big bounties on their heads, and let their friends collect...And how many of us other players who like to explore and play against the evironment are completely locked out of exploring townships and cities, because they are free fire zones controlled entirely by griefers and player killers who just want your gear, and to make other players hate the game? I started playing online in Ultima beta..and have watched a steady rise in players who play for nothing more than to make other gamers suffer. I see this as a huge potential in this system. I will still play the game because i like the genre...but i forsee servers starting to empty out after a couple moths from release...because people have 5 characters that have no gear, and no funds, because all 5 toons have been looted so many times...they dont want to play anymore. Servers wil become 80% bandits,griefers and PKers...and 20% ghosts...just sayin.

• xtincshnxtincshn Member UncommonPosts: 4

Given this is perma-PvP, my main concern is how well people will take to the long rebirth timer. IMO 1 hour is even too long, nevermind 2 days. You can already see killing squads being formed just to hunt players. Not to mention that the hardcore who start quickly out of the gate will have a strong advantage with such things, meaning that more casual players who come later could be very easily turned off by having to wait 2 days to play their character after every death--which could be frequent. It is only the alpha, however, and I'm guessing the rebirth timer will be tweaked fairly quickly upon widescale testing.

As someone alluded to, the answer could also be different server types, with casual servers having fast respawn timers, and hardcore (with normal and hardcore characters) having longer timers.

*Edit* probably should have read previous post before posting this, but obviously there are more than a few of us with this concern**

• rodierrodier Member UncommonPosts: 38
    here, have my 50$ and I want play beta now.    sadly they dont have it now :(

Rodier, icq 10905813

• wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I initially thought this game sounded interesting but with the combination of perma-PvP (which I'm not big on anyway) and full corpse-looting and rebirth timer, I'll be giving this a pass.

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Sounds good so far, but don't all these games this far ahead of release? If it's half as good as Day Z was in the early days I'll probably pick it up, but it's the Day Z standalone I'm really interested in.