Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars - Why are you going to play?

2»

Comments

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Because no other game since UO has given me the thrill, or the memories, that Darkfall has due to it's open PvP, full loot and manual aiming. The fact that Darkfall: Unholy Wars will be the same but with the major downsides to the origional game fixed makes me extremely excited.
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by tazarconan
    Did they make any improvements to combat system, smoother +better animations etc.  ?

- no hybrid demigods combatants

- aim womble

- inertia movement dynamics

- falling damage and death

but dunno if i stay )the combat itself was never the weak point of  DF but always the strong point ) cause of the features around the combat  - or the lack of...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Did they make any improvements to combat system, smoother +better animations etc.  ?

it's been revamped with inertia and motion wobble. Plus they set up a motion capture studio 2 years ago to remake all the animations. We've yet to see the new ones though...

• 2DruNk2FraG2DruNk2FraG Member Posts: 11
    I'll be playing because my doctor suggested Darkfall 2.0 would be a much healthier alternative to mainlining ape adreneline.
  • redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by DKLond

Because, on paper, it sets out to do most of the things I enjoy about the genre in a way that seems to match my preferences quite nicely.

No real game that's actually released is ever as good as it sounds like on paper, but if this new version of Darkfall manages to improve upon the worst aspects of the old one - it just might be the next MMO for me. I certainly plan on giving it a shot, seeing as how there's really no alternative for me at this point.

I still think ArcheAge has the best chance of being "the one" - but it's far away from release.

Well first of all Archeage is a themeparkw ith some sandbox growing stuff ect...its no sandbox by any means. Watch the actual developers talk about the game they never mention it being a sandbox, watch the youtube videos and watch the players quest hub...anyway...

On paper doesnt mean much with this game...this isnt a new game, just a much needed overhaul theyve decided to call a new game...people who have experience with AV know exactly what this means.

This games been in beta since 2008, all they are doing is fixing shit that should have been fixed in 2009, adding some new shiney, and stamping a new name on the box...its part of the AV tradition of "lets call this patch an expansion" ect

DF 1.0 did a lot right, and it did a whole lot of things wrong.

Its still not going to appeal to the themepark "pvpers" who think they are hardcore but wont play a game with stuff at risk...or where they dont have an easy time being good...i think 2.0 will make it much easier to be decent than the current version however...

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by DKLond

Because, on paper, it sets out to do most of the things I enjoy about the genre in a way that seems to match my preferences quite nicely.

No real game that's actually released is ever as good as it sounds like on paper, but if this new version of Darkfall manages to improve upon the worst aspects of the old one - it just might be the next MMO for me. I certainly plan on giving it a shot, seeing as how there's really no alternative for me at this point.

I still think ArcheAge has the best chance of being "the one" - but it's far away from release.

Well first of all Archeage is a themeparkw ith some sandbox growing stuff ect...its no sandbox by any means. Watch the actual developers talk about the game they never mention it being a sandbox, watch the youtube videos and watch the players quest hub...anyway...

On paper doesnt mean much with this game...this isnt a new game, just a much needed overhaul theyve decided to call a new game...people who have experience with AV know exactly what this means.

This games been in beta since 2008, all they are doing is fixing shit that should have been fixed in 2009, adding some new shiney, and stamping a new name on the box...its part of the AV tradition of "lets call this patch an expansion" ect

DF 1.0 did a lot right, and it did a whole lot of things wrong.

Its still not going to appeal to the themepark "pvpers" who think they are hardcore but wont play a game with stuff at risk...or where they dont have an easy time being good...i think 2.0 will make it much easier to be decent than the current version however...

Agree.  Well stated.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by 2DruNk2FraG
    I'll be playing because my doctor suggested Darkfall 2.0 would be a much healthier alternative to mainlining ape adreneline.

Nothing says you can't do both. 

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

Reasons I will play:

1. To kill you.

2. To take your stuff.

3. To build a ship and take your ship.

4. To hit a tree with my axe and farm.

5. To kill farmers so I don't have to farm.

6. So I can kill the craken.

7. Red is the only color I understand.

8. Winning.

That is pretty much everything I can think of. See you on the battle field.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Galadourn

it's been revamped with inertia and motion wobble. Plus they set up a motion capture studio 2 years ago to remake all the animations. We've yet to see the new ones though...

cool thnks for info mate

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

- no hybrid demigods combatants

- aim womble

- inertia movement dynamics

- falling damage and death

but dunno if i stay )the combat itself was never the weak point of  DF but always the strong point ) cause of the features around the combat  - or the lack of...

The above things sound good but only reason i didnt bouhgt df was that i got a trial and 1-2 hours of fighting i had my conclusions. Animations were quite clucnky ,very bad it was like morrorwind alpha test or something.Quite bad.And keep in mind i was a huge fan of morrorwind ;P .

Anwy a fella said that they worked over improviments on this so i guess its a step forward.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I enjoyed the first Darkfall.. I joined a little late and missed all of the alliance forming land grab that took place in the early months, but still had great fun..

I'm not much for the grieifing type (camping towns and pirate looting or attacking everyone for the sake of being a murderer) PvP stuff, but as for the faction/race territory type stuff, I am all in..

Conquest is what I am after and theres tons to be had in Darkfall..

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    because i need a good beating.
  • mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I don't really like FFA PvP, well except for Eve's rule-set anyway.

I liked the idea of Darkfall because it reminded me of a twitch-based Eve (the setting doesn't so much matter to me) and while Darkfall lacked what I'd consider meaningful and engaging PvE, and I hated the lack of any sort of momentum (I teach high school bio, chem, and physics so the lack of realistic physics really threw me off), the tiered equipment system that negated the usefulness of what seemed like 90% of the games items, and the lack of differentiation in the magic system. The game really had a good idea going and I'm willing to drop a few bucks into a sub to see if it's gotten better.

If the game is less grinding mobs in the same location and more dungeon running and exploration. I think I'd really enjoy the game with just that.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm going to play because it's Darkfall 2.0.  I was pretty bad in the 1st one, and I plan on being pretty bad in 2., but that won't stop me from having a blast.  Trees and ore nodes, stones and bushes are all trembling at the impending hour at which I will set foot in Agon again.

I swore I wouldn't be back, but as soon as I saw the announcement for UW, I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I've played GW2 about 5 hours total since.  Just can't seem to immerse myself in it knowing that Unholy Wars is coming out. 

See you foolks in Agon,

-Pink Floyd (Alfar)

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94

Why i play Darkfall

This is a little story from something that just happened recently. Im going to try to explain only ONE the reasons why i am/will play Darkfall(UW)

My friends have been going on about me playing the new  expansion in WoW for quite a while, and so i am playing it while waiting for DF unholy wars as i have had a little gaming break for some time and just looking for social games until DFUW is out.

So i am playing in the new expansion (which i honestly don't like but i'm playing with friends and honestly don't care for the game as i will not play it again after November). Queued up to do some dungeons and after a long long waiting time in queye (felt nearly an hour of work) I got join a dungeon group.

We started rolling trough the dungeon and killed bosses, and the end of the dungeon was getting closer. At this point i felt like i had been waiting for hours only to that end boss. Few mobs left before the end boss and that's where it happens: ''You have been removed from the group'' - next thing is loading screen and i get ported out. I'm actually pretty pissed because all this time and now i got kicked ffrom a group for NO apparent reason (i played well, didnt act like the standard selfish wow player would, and did not slack). I logged out and went to the other server to ask the guys why i got kicked from the group after waiting so much time to come to the end of it and then ported out without reason. They answered me that they kicked the wrong person, a simple misclick led to me being kicked instead of the other slacker who had been the cause of endless waiting inside the dungeon. I just then realized how fucking that much sucked for me. A simple misclick and the whole fun that night went down the shitter as I was looking forward to that end boss (achievement, quest, loot etc.. which is pretty much all there is)

How does Darkfall(UW) involve in this? Well i have played DF on and off for over 3 years. I can say that in a game like darkfall, you will NEVER have your day and gameplay affected like that. NEVER will i let the gear i have, the city i live in or the fun i have being taken away from me in Darkfall without me having the oppertunity to do something about it. In darkfall you can shape the gameplay and the enviornment around you. In DF you are able to say your opinion, fight, for it, run for it, craft for it, farm for it, influence it on way or the other. One thing is for sure; in Darkfall you will experience  logging one morning and see your clan and alliance's cities leveled to the ground, black smoke rising from razed buildings, bloody graves and bodies scattered around the battlefield, perhaps you being one of them, but one thing is for certain: It didn't happen by **ing misclick.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I tend to solo a lot in MMOs.  Sometimes play with friends, but, I don't care for the whole clan thing.  Friends can't stomache the full loot thing for very long.  Sooooo ..... lots of solo Darkfall.  It was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever had. 

When I think back over the years and try to pin point awesome sauce MMO experiences, two games instantly come to mind,  SWG and Darkfall.  While Darkfall certainly had it's problems, it, in my opinion, has been one of the best games to come out in recent years.  The first / third person mechanics, the  actual aim to hit, the map showing only geographical elements,  the open and seamless world, the skill based advancement .... etc.  It quite simply is my cup of tea.

Like Darkfall, I will be there at the start of Unholy Wars looking for more awesome sauce moments that only a game like Darkfall could deliver.

~Hairysun