Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am losing my game and need a replacement (COH) :(

silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38

I am so sad to let go of my beloved City of Heroes. I have so many fond memories of playing that game with my daughter as early as when she was 4. I enjoyed the Halloween activities and the Christmas stuff. I will be needing a replacement and I would also like a game with a good community and plenty of people with activities for the holidays.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Unfortunately COH was in a class of its own, so if you're looking for something very similar I don't really know of a game that would fit that criteria. The only one that may fit is FFXIV.

Final Fantasy XIV's seasonal events should be pretty nifty once they're no longer dedicating so much time to 2.0. The community is also really friendly compared to most games. And once 2.0 launches there should be a bit of a population boom to give you plenty of people to play with.

<3

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Both Champions Online and DC Universe Online are F2P at this point so you could give one of them a go. They are certainly no CoH but they are really the only other 2 Superhero MMOs of any value at all. Out of the two I would be more likely to recommend CO to a CoH fan as the same company made both games so it would probably be easier to get into quickly for you.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472
    CO has received many ex-CoH players. There is a custom chat channel named CoX and I believe even a supergroup.
  • SirenRoseSirenRose Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by gandales
    CO has received many ex-CoH players. There is a custom chat channel named CoX and I believe even a supergroup.

Oh thank you for this info.  CoH was my first MMO, and I have come back to the game in between other games fairly often for a fun super hero break.  If I get the urge to play a hero game again I know where to look.

Playing: None
    Have Played: City of Heroes, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Fallen Earth, Diablo 3, DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars The Old Republic

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'd recommend WoW or GW2. I think they just made a WoW battlechest that includes original WoW and it's first 2 expansions for $20.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 for the ease of grouping and general laid back attitude to gear

Tsw for a similar setting and the build switching / theory crafting

Both above borrow heavily from coh combat mechanics, full movement while casting, states systems etc..

I would give dcuo the nod over co, but both are pale imitations of coh

Or why not jump into something completely different like eve or perpetuum
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    DCUO's a console game, unfortunately - imho.  Sure, it's on PC too - but it's tap, tap, hold, double-tap, hold, tap, tap, tap, hold, double-tap, tap...meh.  Which also means it's not a RPG, in my book - since you're not directing the character, you're mucking about doing the actions that the character should be doing...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
             Sorry can't help you...Didnt like any of the superhero MMOs
  • silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Theocritus
             Sorry can't help you...Didnt like any of the superhero MMOs

I totally understand. When it came out and my friends were talking about it, I said sounds boring. I finally started playing and loved it. I am more of a SciFi and Fantasy guy. I loved Ultima Online when it came out and I loved Star Wars Galaxies for a while. I loved City of Heroes because of the community and how they were cordial and friendly to my daughter and me. The adventures were fun and all of the holiday activities were so fun! It doesn't have to be a superhero game, all though I am downloading Champions right now to give it a go. I have played the trials of Fallen Earth, Age of Conan, Rift, and Vanguard. I liked those. Are their communities big? Are they friendly? Do they have holiday stuff?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I like the community in Rift. They have weathered a lot of mmo launches and are stronger for it. We are currently enjoying the Autumn seasonal event. Faeblight is the server I play on and it has a healthy population.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Dispite what many people think, The Secret World is a superhero game and might be worth a try. Just not a comic book superhero theme.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.