Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - a success.

Really??????

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Ok..i should let you know that every MMO i dislike is a failure and every MMO i love is a success.

It is that simple.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Ok..i should let you know that every MMO i dislike is a failure and every MMO i love is a success.

It is that simple.

Not really but whatever floats your boat.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well they sold millions of copies.. and i guess the polulation is pretty stable now..

What would make it a sccess or failure in your eyes ?

Originally posted by Caldrin

Well they sold millions of copies.. and i guess the polulation is pretty stable now..

To knock WoW of it's throne....? Or dent their massive subscriber base...?

That was the intention of this game or at least what the devs/moneymen was hoping for.

Server mergers, free to play .... you tell me.

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

That was the intention of this game or at least what the devs/moneymen was hoping for.

Could you show us where Bioware said or showed intention of knocking down WOW from number one spot? if that is how you judge success then every MMO is a failure.

Only two companies have openly said this. First Rift with its 'We are not in Azeroth anymore' video and Mike O brian of Anet who openly stated that he wants GW2 to beat WOW in sales and popularity.

Bioware never made sucha  claim.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i am not a swtor fan even though i played it but to put it in perspective..their was once a poll on this site that  stated what is the definition of success for an mmo..i think the result of that was that if the game had subs and income enough to keep the game going it was a success..so yes its a success, but then again so is vanguard.that does'nt say a lot.

Could you show us where Bioware said or showed intention of knocking down WOW from number one spot? if that is how you judge success then every MMO is a failure.

Only two companies have openly said this. First Rift with its 'We are not in Azeroth anymore' video and Mike O brian of Anet who openly stated that he wants GW2 to beat WOW in sales and popularity.

If you're in a competition, you don't aim for the #2 spot. You go for gold. The MMO business is a competition. Make no mistake about that.

If you're in a competition, you don't aim for the #2 spot. You go for gold. The MMO business is a competition. Make no mistake about that.

So why single out only SWTOR then? because every other MMO is at second spot. That would mean there has been not a single successful MMO since WOW.

I love your logic man!

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

I stopped playing because I stopped trying to care about a game the devs didn't care to appropriately remedy. Regardless of that fact, starting a thread with "?????" when there are plenty of other threads on the topic is...

... let's just say, "In b4 lock".

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dont think it is stable, if it was EA wouldnt have made it F2P. Current subs and stabile would have been enough for them, current subs and sinking on the other hand is a whole other matter.

I dont think the last word is said about this yet, MMOs live long and things might turn but lets just say that right now it performs less than predicted so far (except launch week).

I have a feeling EA currently see it as less than successful.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Neither of those things are an indication of success. Success for the game is making profit, which I am sure they have done with the number of sales, even if they are not retaining subs.

Sure they hope for a bigger slice of pie, but that doesn't mean failure. By your logic, every food outlet who isn't McDonalds is a failure, which is simply untrue.

You don't like the game, good for you, move on. Unless you have insider info regarding the profit of the game compared to the development cost your opinion of whether it is a success or not is baseless.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

If you had asked me these questions sunday I would have said that you are wrong and that SWTOR is still a good game that needs better nourishment thats all. Hoever since you are asking me this today, 2 days after the Doctors of Bioware left the building, I couldnt care less if SWTOR burned and it took along every single one of the devs with them, specially EA. I guess EA just wants to see the gaiming world burn. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Really??????

Oh I miss the swg forums, about all I miss of that game mind you.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So why single out only SWTOR then? because every other MMO is at second spot. That would mean there has been not a single successful MMO since WOW.

I love your logic man!

Success or not comes from matching or going above expectations and for sure the expectations for SW:TOR was high and I doubt it met them. The fact that EA fired a bunch of people probably indicates that it did not meet, financial expecations which is related to the players expectations in the sense that how many sticked to the game or not.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Well I guess they never made any claims like that, if you close your eyes and pretend they didn't.  It's littered all over the web .. heres one:

ref:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/

E3 2011: BioWare: Old Republic 'will more than compete' with World of Warcraft

June 9, 2011

[BioWare Co-founder Ray Muzyka being interviewed]

"We've been testing the game aggressively for quite a long time... and the focus for us as we head towards launch is on security, stability, saleability and retention," he said.

Muzyka continued: "There are ten of millions, tens of tens of millions of potential consumers for this game because Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world and that's a factor that can't be underestimated."

"I have tremendous respect for the folks at Blizzard, but I think we're building a product that will more than compete."

I hope this doesn't break your bubble.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Only if you consider the Charge of the Light Brigade to be a success as well.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

This thread, and all alike it, just encouraged me to go activate my subscription. Tonight i'm playing SWTOR.

Cheers!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    What's the point of OP?  Did EA come out and say this?  if so, link please.
  • Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by evilastro

Neither of those things are an indication of success. Success for the game is making profit, which I am sure they have done with the number of sales, even if they are not retaining subs.

Sure they hope for a bigger slice of pie, but that doesn't mean failure. By your logic, every food outlet who isn't McDonalds is a failure, which is simply untrue.

You don't like the game, good for you, move on. Unless you have insider info regarding the profit of the game compared to the development cost your opinion of whether it is a success or not is baseless.

You see, its not that simple.

I work in business. There is something called "Profit margin". Profit margin is how much you make out of a sale that is actual profit, in relation to how much time and effort it takes to make that sale. For example:

You make a toy. It costs 20$ to make, but you manage to sell it for 30$. That is 10$ per sale of this toy. In terms of time spent, it takes you 20 minutes to make the toy and 10 minutes to sell it, for a grand total of 30minutes per toy. This equals ~ $20 dollars an hour of proift - not to be confused with revenue, which is $60 an hour. (total money made)

Making it for $20 and selling it for $30 is a 50% profit margin. For a retail business, that is pretty good, retail usually operates at a 40% profit margin.

In relation to SWTOR, they made an extremely high investment. Its called being  "worth your time."  Its the same for SWTOR. Sure, its making a profit. But the profit margin but may not high enough for it to be a worthwhile investment - and its clear, considering the actions of EA. SWTOR had a huge development cost. Let me put it to you this way.

Instead of 20$, the toy costs $27 dollars to make, due to high development costs. You manage to sell it for 30$. That is only a meagre $3 profit per sale of the toy. We're talking about a margin of less than 10%. This only equals 6$ an hour of profit.

This would be, *not worth your time*, unless you enjoy living in a cardboard box. image

SWTOR, in a business sense was not a success. Anyone who works in business can tell you this, including the EA executives - who are all businessmen. Which is clear, considering their attitudes towards TOR.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by timtrack

This thread, and all alike it, just encouraged me to go activate my subscription. Tonight i'm playing SWTOR.

Cheers!

Sned me a postcard from Tattoine and call me when you get bored tomorrow!

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

Originally posted by Karteli

Well I guess they never made any claims like that, if you close your eyes and pretend they didn't.  It's littered all over the web .. heres one:

ref:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/

June 9, 2011

"We've been testing the game aggressively for quite a long time... and the focus for us as we head towards launch is on security, stability, saleability and retention," he said.

Muzyka continued: "There are ten of millions, tens of tens of millions of potential consumers for this game because Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world and that's a factor that can't be underestimated."

"I have tremendous respect for the folks at Blizzard, but I think we're building a product that will more than compete."

No my bublle is stil intact. You can twist the meaning of what they are saying to show they want to beat WOW but unless a MMO company makes a clear indication like Anet did with GW2 i am not buying it.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Do be honest guys u are the failure here giving much attention to other people' ssuccess instead of looking to have a success on your own.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    It's such a blockbuster that everyone who once was meaningful in Bioware has left the company.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

ref:

June 9, 2011

No my bublle is stil intact. You can twist the meaning of what they are saying to show they want to beat WOW but unless a MMO company makes a clear indication like Anet did with GW2 i am not buying it.

I'm a TOR fan and even I have to admit, that sounds pretty clear they had intentions of knocking WoW down.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

ref:

June 9, 2011

OK, I'll bite - How is this twisting the meaning?

Ray says that this game has 100 million+ consumers (10's of 10's of millions) for this game and it will more than compete with WoW.  Where I come from, when I open a business and tell the #1 on the block that I'm going to more than compete with them because I have 10 times the people interested in my business, this means I'm going to blow them away, to the point where they won't even matter.

Keep your eyes closed if you wish, but, according to you, what was their true intentions for these statements? lol :-)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

This discussion has been closed.