Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

star power

7star7star Member Posts: 405

Why am I bleeding star power?

I'm just about to lose my rank as elite. I know a lot of people don't care. I'm on the verge of not caring, but why does it happen? Have I been trolling? I don't think I have. It's wierd. In just a day, I lost like half a star. Then I lost some more and I only posted as usual commenting on stuff. It's just curious to me.

Any insights?  

EDIT: And here is the link to a recent thread by a Hardcore member with 3 posts since 2007. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/364072/page/1

I've also seen some really rubbish posts by Spotlight members, so I'm confused. How does this system work, exactly?

Thank you!

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,528

This is how we calculate rank:

Ranks are calculated every day at 2:00AM EST.  They are only based on the last 30 days of data.  We look at the following factors when determining your rank:

• How many days you visited the site (and logged in).  This is also counted when you use our "autologin" feature.
    • How much information you have posted in our forums (not the amount of posts)
    • The quality of your posts.  If you post lot of "filler" posts that only consist of a few words this will cost you rank points.
    • Any posts of yours that had to be deleted will cost you 5 rank points (there are only 100 total).  To prevent your posts from being deleted, please obey our Rules of Conduct.
    I hope that helps!

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Just logging in every day will keep you at 3 stars. The rest is affected by what you do while logged in.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by MikeB

• The quality of your posts.  If you post lot of "filler" posts that only consist of a few words this will cost you rank points.

Thanks for the answer.

I think this is it. I sometimes post stuff like "nice post" or "thanks for writing this up." I can see how that's filler.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,544
    Originally posted by MikeB

This is how we calculate rank:

Ranks are calculated every day at 2:00AM EST.  They are only based on the last 30 days of data.  We look at the following factors when determining your rank:

• How many days you visited the site (and logged in).  This is also counted when you use our "autologin" feature.
    • How much information you have posted in our forums (not the amount of posts)
    • Any posts of yours that had to be deleted will cost you 5 rank points (there are only 100 total).  To prevent your posts from being deleted, please obey our Rules of Conduct.
    I hope that helps!

How in the heck is that policed?  Is someone monitoring EVERY post and grading them behind the scenes?

I don't really care about stars at all.  But it seems like a crazy system.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Yeah, because I doubt someone monitors this manually.... that would be impossible seeing how many people post per day. I believe it's some sort of word count or something - maybe? lol.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com