Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anybody recommend a good/great 4X game?

StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I haven't played a good strategic 4X game since Overlord(US) / Supremacy(EU) on the Amiga and I kind of miss that type of game. Any recommendations?

Requirements would be:

1. Not a Ubisoft game

2. Made within last 2 - 3 years

3. It has a decent tutorial that will get you well on your way even if you are not a vet.

4. Able to stand on it's on as a singleplayer game

5. Not the game 'Endless Space'

6. A healthy balance between all 4 and not primarily focused on war

Any suggestion would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Although it's not been made in the last 2-3 years (although the last expansion was released in that time frame), I highly, highly, highly recommend you check out Galactic Civilizations 2. It's pretty much the absolute best turn-based 4X game you're going to get these days, bar none. Plus it's only $20 on Steam with all expansions!

If you feel like taking a stab at an RTS 4X, then you'll not beat Sins of a Solar Empire. Don't let the RTS part scare ytou off, it moves slowly enough that you really don't have to think much faster than a turn based game most times.

If neither of those appeal to you, then check out Sword of the Stars (the first one). It's a very newbie-friendly 4X game with decent gameplay and graphics. There is a sequel but it launched in an absolutely horrid, unfinished state so I'd recommend staying away from it, although it may be worth purchasing now.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

Haegemonia Legions of Iron and its expansion are the only 4X games that really clicked for me ( the game is from 2003 though, still better graphics that most out now.

Legend of Peagus is kind of mediocre, but its not real-time with speed increase its a mix of turn-based and real time and i hate turn based 4X so dont really play them that much.

Stardrive is a new upcoming 4x real time which might be really good.

But the only one that fits in all you're asking is Sins of the Solar Empire with all of its expansions.

Though i still like Haegemonia more.

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

Sins of a Solar Empire, while a great game, doesn't really feel like a good 4x game, plus, it's mostly focused on combat.  There are a ton of great 4x games that are older on the market (Civ4, Sword of the Stars + expansions, Galactic Civilizations II), though there aren't many that are recent.  Endless space (which you mentioned you didn't like) is recent andgetting good reviews.  Civ5 just got an expansion, but there are some interesting changes in that (love 'em or hate 'em).  

I haven't played it, but I hear great things about Distant Worlds, but it's real time (not turn based, as most people associate with 4x titles), but it's mostly about empire management, from what I can gather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_4X_video_games

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Great suggestions guys thanks. It gives me some idea what's out there. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try some old titles. I would have loved to see some newer titles with updated graphics though. I guess the genre has already seen it's golden years

Sins of a Solar Empire, is as mentioned too focused on war, and I'm not a huge RTS fan (even if the speed is slow).

Civ 5 I already own. It was fun for a few days, but I get bored around the 1700 - 1800 AD mark even on higher difficulties. The problem I have with it, is the timer where you have to meet certain conditions before it runs out (year 2080AD.. or something), or the game is basically a draw. The only fun way to play it for me, is through domination and that gets stale real quick.

I guess the best option so far is Galactic Civilization II even though it looks very dated.

Even though A lot of the titles mentioned doesn't do it for me, I appreciate all the suggestions.

Please keep them coming, even future titles to look out for
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Starpower

I haven't played a good strategic 4X game since Overlord(US) / Supremacy(EU) on the Amiga and I kind of miss that type of game. Any recommendations?

Meh!

Ask a question and prevent us to give the best answer there is...

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Requirements would be:

1. Not a Ubisoft game

3. It has a decent tutorial that will get you well on your way even if you are not a vet.

Distant Worlds is one of if not the best space 4x to date ................http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

But i highly recomend getting both expansions if you purchase..

Fallen Enchatress is an excellent 4x even in its Beta 4 stage ..     http://elementalgame.com/

Originally posted by Scorchien

Requirements would be:

1. Not a Ubisoft game

Distant Worlds is one of if not the best space 4x to date ................http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

But i highly recomend getting both expansions if you purchase..

Fallen Enchatress is an excellent 4x even in its Beta 4 stage ..     http://elementalgame.com/

Awesome, I have to check Fallen Enchantress out as well.

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255
    I wonder if you might enjoy "Crusader Kings II" or "Europa Universalis III". They are not exactly 4X , but an interesting alternative nevertheless if you want to get stuck into an epic strategy game.

Thanks for those suggestions. I might check those out at a later point.

Is there any of the previously mentioned titles that has more of a sandboxy feel to it in the sense you can play for long time, without predetermined paths that has to lead to victory. Basically play as long as you like without having to 'win'.

Its not a necessity, I'm just curious

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Thanks for those suggestions. I might check those out at a later point.

Is there any of the previously mentioned titles that has more of a sandboxy feel to it in the sense you can play for long time, without predetermined paths that has to lead to victory. Basically play as long as you like without having to 'win'.

Its not a necessity, I'm just curious

Distant Worlds