Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regional Servers confirmed

RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Data Centers/World Locations Info from the LIVE Letter

<blockquote restore="" "="">Greetings,

I know there has been some confusion about multiple data centers and world discussion that took place in the 25th Anniversary event, so Yoshida addressed it directly in the Letter from the Producer LIVE part III.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida

I wanted to provide more details on how the servers will work because when I briefly explained about data centers it looks like there were a lot of players that had questions about it. 

What's going to happen is a player will be shown a complete list of worlds. Within the list, players will see which worlds are tied to which data centers (i.e. this world and this world is tied to the data center in Japan, this world and this world is tied to the data center in North America or Europe). Players will have the freedom of selecting any world they prefer. 

This means that they can select a world that’s in the data center in their own region or they can select a world that's based off of one in another region. For example, I would choose a world based in Japan because the data centers are physically closer to me. On the other hand, a North American or European player may choose a world based off of their data center centers to keep the lag to a minimum. 

So let me make it clear that we're not separating the worlds by language. For those who want to play with players outside of their region, they will have the choice of selecting a world that's located in another region. Also, through the content finder, you will be able to select a language preference so for those who only wish to play with players that speak the same language, all they have to do is set the language preference to the language of their liking.

Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have.

Comments

• carolgreen21carolgreen21 Member Posts: 22
    good information and thanks for your advice
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I'm really surprised at how a decent part of the forum community viewed this news as a very negative thing. To me, improved performance (latency) will change everything. I do understand people who are part of multiple Linkshells and how that might affect their relationship should these Linkshells part into different servers.

I've got mixed feelings on this, but ultimately I think I'm more happy to have regional servers. It can be hard to interact with other players from other regions who may not speak english, and although the pre-configured auto-translated sentences are really handy, they only serve to cover the language barrier for trading and grouping, but not socializing. This is especially an issue depending on when I play, so with a regional server it'd make it a lot more easier for me to interact with other (english) players.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

I'm really surprised at how a decent part of the forum community viewed this news as a very negative thing. To me, improved performance (latency) will change everything. I do understand people who are part of multiple Linkshells and how that might affect their relationship should these Linkshells part into different servers.

I've got mixed feelings on this, but ultimately I think I'm more happy to have regional servers. It can be hard to interact with other players from other regions who may not speak english, and although the pre-configured auto-translated sentences are really handy, they only serve to cover the language barrier for trading and grouping, but not socializing. This is especially an issue depending on when I play, so with a regional server it'd make it a lot more easier for me to interact with other (english) players.

People like the better network performance.

People don't like the idea of the global community being segregated into separate servers. Many people think of it only as "America and Japan", but you have Germany and France in there too.

One of the big draws for many about FFXI was the global community of everyone sharing the same servers. You got to meet a lot of very cool people from all around the world that you wouldn't have met otherwise. This has carried over to FFXIV where the same thing happens. Many people are worried that that's going to go away if people are separated into their own regional servers.

There was certainly a degree of xenophobia among the community, but I don't think it was the majority.

So.. it's a kind of ambivalence, really.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I think this move will make the game more segregated, because there will be servers that are more of one language then another, and that always breeds bigotry.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Oh wow really? I thought Hell would freeze over before this would happen, at least according to white knights from eons ago. I like how they give the option of choosing which World you want to go to, but giving you some (what may be to some) vital information behind it.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I'm surprised how many people on official forums want to force players to have worse ping just to keep "international community". but I'm afraid the truth is different. weeaboo's are afraid japanese will tell them to go play on eu/us server and will ignore them on japanese servers.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I'm surprised how many people on official forums want to force players to have worse ping just to keep "international community". but I'm afraid the truth is different. weeaboo's are afraid japanese will tell them to go play on eu/us server and will ignore them on japanese servers.

Or it could be that most Linkshells are comprised of members from many different countries, and that players can be a member of more than 1 Linkshell. By breaking servers into Regional Servers, albeit non-restrictive ones, will effectively split several linkshells throughout the different servers based on the regions they believe to be more appropriate for them. For players to have to "cut ties" with certain Linkshells because they each went a different way can definitively be seen as a negative thing. That's the "truth" that these players share, it has nothing to do with "weeaboos" or none of that bollocks. An international community is formed, international linkshells are created. Regional Servers will break this apart, and is a perfectly legit criticism towards the change.

I for one prefer to have Regional Servers, but I do understand where these players are coming from.

• ant211ant211 Member Posts: 54

will miss the international feel of the game,

i wont however,  miss how majority of japanese ignore the fuck out other languages and segregate themselves - they should get their won servers, keep the rest together

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

yeah, part of your gaming experience shouldnt have to revolve around trying to understand WTF the other person is saying.

i applaud them for regeion servers. Now the burden is on the player; roll on a japan region server but find your self alone and confused.... noone to blame but yourself.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze