Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR launch outsold GW2 launch...

1235»

Comments

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

SWTOR had more hype than any game I can remember, it's not a surprise to me that it outsold GW2.

On a side note - SWTOR was a better game too. If GW2 was P2P, you would already be seeing the cancellation of thousands of subs and server merges happening around the first of the year.

OH SNNNNNAP

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I seem to remember SWTOR hitting 2m sales at the 1 month mark. GW2 passed 2m and we are still short of 3 weeks even if you count headstart as the release. And online sales were turned off for a week. I am not seeing how GW2 is lagging behind SWTOR by any metric.

All die, so die well.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by VikingGamer
    <div signature"="">

The Law of Conservation of Stupidity:
    For every Fan there will be an equally vocal Troll with the opposite opinion.

Your law relies on a supposition that 'fan' and 'troll' are not synonyms.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though.

SWToR did not achieve the goals set for it by EA or Bioware. GW2 was projected to reach 3 million in sales by the end of the year, and it is two thirds of the way there after 2 weeks. It seems much more likely that GW2 will reach the goals set by Anet than SWToR will ever reach any goals set by EA or Bioware.

Unless you're only counting actual physical boxes, it isn't true.

Based only on information given by both companies (EA and Anet, I'll reuse links postes earlier):

As of december 26 (6 days after release), TOR had sold 1 million copies:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

Anet announced on august 28th (on release day, 3 days after headstart) that they had already sold over 1 million pre-purchases (before release) and that was not counting pre-orders or sales after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

Post launch, TOR announces 2 million units sold 5 weeks after release:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

Anet announced 2 million units sold 3 weeks after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/guild-wars-2-breaks-the-two-million-sales-mark/

So, based on hard numbers released by the companies themselves, I'd say GW2 indeed sold more than TOR on release. Retention, though, will be harder to judge since TOR is a sub based game while GW2 isn't.

You just need to stop confusing people with facts.  Don't you see that by posting actual numbers, and sources, and drawing conclusions from them that you are hampering others' ability to make up their own "facts"?  How rude of you.

@OP - In the face of the facts posted above, are you willing to admit that your post was wrong?  Or have you gone back to guarding your bridge?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though.

SWToR did not achieve the goals set for it by EA or Bioware. GW2 was projected to reach 3 million in sales by the end of the year, and it is two thirds of the way there after 2 weeks. It seems much more likely that GW2 will reach the goals set by Anet than SWToR will ever reach any goals set by EA or Bioware.

Unless you're only counting actual physical boxes, it isn't true.

Based only on information given by both companies (EA and Anet, I'll reuse links postes earlier):

As of december 26 (6 days after release), TOR had sold 1 million copies:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

Anet announced on august 28th (on release day, 3 days after headstart) that they had already sold over 1 million pre-purchases (before release) and that was not counting pre-orders or sales after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

Post launch, TOR announces 2 million units sold 5 weeks after release:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

Anet announced 2 million units sold 3 weeks after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/guild-wars-2-breaks-the-two-million-sales-mark/

So, based on hard numbers released by the companies themselves, I'd say GW2 indeed sold more than TOR on release. Retention, though, will be harder to judge since TOR is a sub based game while GW2 isn't.

You just need to stop confusing people with facts.  Don't you see that by posting actual numbers, and sources, and drawing conclusions from them that you are hampering others' ability to make up their own "facts"?  How rude of you.

@OP - In the face of the facts posted above, are you willing to admit that your post was wrong?  Or have you gone back to guarding your bridge?

Dayum

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Torvaldr  That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though.

TOR sold more in the first week (1.453 million) compared to GW2 (.902 million), but only sold 311k the second week.  VGCharts hasn't submitted second week sales for GW2 yet, but in order to pop over 2 million GW2 would have had to sold around another 1 million copies in the second week.  Really they've already outpaced TORs sales graph at the two week point.

When you look at other platform sales the MMO market is rather "flash in the pan" and paltry.  One thing the B2P model might bring is a broader appeal and larger total sales numbers.  That is one feature all the other platforms tout that MMOs haven't really offered much.

Uhm, GW2s presale was 1 million copies, so .098 million people got refunds and they didnt sell a box the first week or what?

And 1M was announced a few days before launch when it reached 1M copies.

There are a lot of numbers out there and little facts. http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/press-releases/guild-wars-2-now-live.html

Even before today's launch, more than one million fans paid for the game in full to enjoy a 3-day Headstart prior to today's official launch. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

VGChartz has only estimations

the links i posted earlier were using EA quarterly financial statements regarding TOR

the same information thats required to be reported to investors

heres an example of how distorted VGChartz can be:

VGChartz states TSW sold 60k units

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38647/the-secret-world/USA/

Funcom financial reports said TSW sold 200k units

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/28/the-secret-world-moves-200000-units-funcom-to-focus-on-smaller-titles-in-the-future/

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

The difference is GW2 will keep selling millions of copies over time. SWTOR will not. Heck even GW1 sold over 7 million copies since its release. If that is any inclination how GW2 will do then it is def in good shape.

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    u were talking about GW1 we are talking about GW2, that game won't be better than swtor never. perhaps it will be good but nothing else 
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by tank017

If I could give my copy of ToR back,I most definitely would.

Everytime I think of that game I slap myself for buying it.

EDIT: And yes,GW2 is just starting out..

ToR set sail and then proceeded to sink..that ship is long gone.

I'd do the same thing with GW2.  I played SWTOR for a few months, GW2 lasted maybe 3 days before it bored me to tears. 

Honestly, neither game is all that.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Can't believe this thread is still going....

It hurts my brain. GW2 is out less than a month, SWTOR released last December. 

One is B2P with a cash shop, the other is a Subs based game rapidly headed for F2P. 

Iirc, as others have pointed out, the announcement of SWTOR selling 2m+ (I think there was a decimal in there) happened in an earnings call a couple of months after release, and contained an admission that up to half of those sales did not translate to subscriptions.  

For SWTOR to outdo ANet, ANet would (a) Pretty much have to sell no more copies of the game and (b) release figures soon saying that less than half of their players have ever dropped cash on the Black Lion (and even those that did would have to be stated as averaging out to less than $15 a head per month). Then those BL sales figures would have to keep declining. 

Before I get bashed for being a GW2 fangirl, let me just state for the record that I still have a sub to SWTOR (reckon I'll keep it going until F2P hits and then reassess) but I've been playing a lot more of GW2 of late (the new shiny is shiny indeed). And yeah, I've dropped RL cash for bag and bank slots (gasp!).

I don't "hate" either game and I fundamentally don't get this "My game is better than your game" claptrap, especially when even getting your head around the premise of the OP takes an epic leap of illogic in the first place. 

Try, fail, try again, fail better?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    No it hasn't some other wiz posted the ins and outs Im merely saying no. The basics are it sold 2.3mil at its peak not in its first week.  GW2 crunched numbers faster than swtor did.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

TOR sold more in the first week (1.453 million) compared to GW2 (.902 million), but only sold 311k the second week.  VGCharts hasn't submitted second week sales for GW2 yet, but in order to pop over 2 million GW2 would have had to sold around another 1 million copies in the second week.  Really they've already outpaced TORs sales graph at the two week point.

When you look at other platform sales the MMO market is rather "flash in the pan" and paltry.  One thing the B2P model might bring is a broader appeal and larger total sales numbers.  That is one feature all the other platforms tout that MMOs haven't really offered much.

Problem with vgchartz is that they usually don't track digital copies sold by the company itself (which Anet did):

"

Data-Collection Methodology

All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

• Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
    • Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
    • Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
    • Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
    • Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

All data is regularly checked against manufacturer shipments and data released publicly from other tracking firms to ensure accuracy. VGChartz holds no responsibility for the use of our data – any business decisions made are made at your own risk.

"

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

which is why in my prevous post I'm using only data announced by the companies and not VGchartz.

Did vgchartz track SWTOR digital sales through Origin?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Should I have brought more popcorn, this thread is thrilling!

Now even if TOR had sold 100 millions copies one year before actually launching, the game does not compares well to GW2 in terms features nor polish. And thing is, for now TOR subs are bleeding, hammered by bad choices, former clueless managers and designers with a huge ego that failed to understand what makes (most) MMO players happy.

At this point TOR has only one thing for it: Hope.

Hope, it will be better in the future.

• RingbusRingbus Member Posts: 36

There are people who actually go to vgchartz???

Boggle.

Vgchartz is the website of a 20 something year old hardcore Xbox fanboy. He use to post on the neogaf forums pretending to have access to sales data. He was so desperate to inflate Xbox sales numbers that he eventually got permabanned from the forum and his username and site are bannable offenses if you even mention them.

The little kid at vgchartz doesn't 'track' anything. Nor does he have a 'methodology'. He is just some sad and pathetic fanboy who sits at home typing made up numbers into his computer.

Retain tracking is a massive undertaking that legitimate companies like NPD employ large staffs to perform. Game companies have been paying NPD for their quality retail sales data for a long time. How is it possible that there are people who will actually go the kid's website and quote numbers from it?

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    We dont really need e-peen measuring contests.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.