Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Main Issues With GW2

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol Riiight that is clearly the reality of it. Question: take raiding out of wow and swtor and TSW and what are you left with for you £100 + quid a year game? Because that's what the alternative is.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Obviously didn't play WoW to gladiator level. Please don't respond to things you don't have the slightest clue about. No high end PvP'er just hits a couple buttons for starters.

I don't want to hit a couple of buttons. That's why I find the combat boring. It's forcing me to. Also:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Jambie/achievement#81:a886

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    2. Combat is boring and takes little skill (Yes, WoW’s combat does take more skill; much more in fact. And I’ve gotten Gladiator so I have experience):

-Attacking consists of mostly auto-attacking (Been the same on Guardian, Mesmer, and Elementalist in both PvP and PvE), and this is due to a mix of the following:

-Not enough attack skills.

-Not enough attack skills with a small enough CD.

-Not enough attack skills with enough superiority over auto-attack to be worth the risk of using.

-Not enough skills overall (In WoW I have about 35-40 skill keybinds and I use each and every one of them).

Sorry but combat is so much more fluid, viscreal, skillful and REAL in GW2.  Remember WoW only offers "Lol jumping and circle strafing"  Neither are which I consider skillful.   Somethign tells me the OP never weapon switched and prolly played with 4 signet builds.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

^ I'm response to jimmy

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by SteeJanz

GW2 is a good game, just not a great one due to glaring issues. The first being if you enjoy competitve PvP there is no point to leveling at all. I was rolling with my level 80 PvP buddies while I'm level 2 and they're all wondering why they wasted so much time in a PvE that doesn't matter. Even to PvE players it doesn't matter because theres absolutely nothing to do at 80.

You should at least be able to make your PvP armor match your PvE....IN THE LOBBY. The PvP is alot funner then WoW's imo, much more fast paced and skillful. WoW arenas are like a game of chess wheres GW's is more like Contact Sports. There's a reason one is watched over the other.

That said WoW is much more polished and intelligently designed, aka player retention in mind. But it also has a monthly fee so it's a close decision really. PvE wise I think WoW wins no contest just because there is at least some purpose after max level. I think the PvP is much better in GW 2 though, much more esport viable.

Speaking PVE here, but in all honesty there is plenty to do in GW2.  The only thing WOW has is raids.  But have you been to the last 3 zones in GW2.  I bet it is impossible to control all the waypoints in any of those maps.  YOu could spend and infinite amount of time in those zones fighting to retain or retake areas.  Is it a raid, no.  But I would almost be willing to bet that a 25 man raid group couldn't control every way point in the entire map.  Because by the time you got to the 19th one, the first would be taken over again.   There are countless chest to get gear from, and the karma gear from the vendors in those areas are very cool.  So the rewards are the same as raids, just a different type of content.  I am sure some will like one way or the other but to say that it lacks end game is wrong.  It's just not the endgame you like.

It's really not endgame though. It's more of a gimmick that you can get bored of in a single day for intangible rewards. I'm not even remotely alone when I say the only thing to really do in GW2 at 80 is reroll. Oh and enjoy the lack of any socializing whatsoever the entire way to 80. This is a single player game disguised as an MMO, Diablo 3 style.

You mean just like raiding or any other activity in a game.  What your saying is simply not true.  The gimmick is trying to convience people that what you are saying is true.   I am level 80 and have 50% of the map completed.  I have seen half the world.   I have pelnty to do.  I have opened one way point in the level 80 zone, i have only completed 2 explorable mode dungeons in (4 tries) of the 24 different paths and only 4 of the story mode dungeons so far.  I literally have tons left to do.   The only way that there would be nothing to do is if a year from now, there hasn't been an update.  And yes that last part was a shot at my 2nd favorite MMO. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Wootloops

Obviously didn't play WoW to gladiator level. Please don't respond to things you don't have the slightest clue about. No high end PvP'er just hits a couple buttons for starters.

I don't want to hit a couple of buttons. That's why I find the combat boring. It's forcing me to. Also:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Jambie/achievement#81:a886

This is why I know your not telling the truth.

I played a gladiator DK as well and I only needed 15 keybinds TOPS.  Same with Warriors.  At least next time come make up a much harder and more skillful class like a Lock or a Hunter, now those were classes with lots of keybinds required.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Zylax you failing badly if that's how you play elementalist. You should be rotating between all 4 elements, + on demand. I use about 12 skills + signets + regularly, and another 6 or do skills in reaction to the fight. That's all key bound btw.

Not zylax, annoying screen sry

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If the OP really does use all those keybinds successfully then they are obviously a pretty high end PvPer. I've always said that GW2 is not for pro pvpers. GW2's PvP is PvP for people who actually prefer PvE, casual PvPers. I fully understand why GW2 isn't doing it for you OP.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

PvP'er who likes gear > skill PvP doesn't like GW2 sPvP and how you can't farm said gear to go into open world and pwn noobs with your l337 gears...

sPvP in GW2 is exactly like Arena Tournaments in WoW - all gear is equal, all about player skill and strategy and coordination/communication.

Unless of course you never played Tournament mode sPvP and think the practice mode is all there is.

Having more buttons to hit and more keybinds does not = more skill btw.

Each toon has at least 15 abilities to use + Profession specifics.

All about how you use it.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by BadSpock

PvP'er who likes gear > skill PvP doesn't like GW2 sPvP and how you can't farm said gear to go into open world and pwn noobs with your l337 gears...

sPvP in GW2 is exactly like Arena Tournaments in WoW - all gear is equal, all about player skill and strategy and coordination/communication.

Unless of course you never played Tournament mode sPvP and think the practice mode is all there is.

Oh, I thought the more abilities you had and could mash, the more pro you were....

Is that why i'm not pro?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Vannor
    If the OP really does use all those keybinds successfully then they are obviously a pretty high end PvPer. I've always said that GW2 is not for pro pvpers. GW2's PvP is PvP for people who actually prefer PvE, casual PvPers. I fully understand why GW2 isn't doing it for you OP.

I completely disagree with you on the pro-PVP thing.  I mean if keybinds are what set you apart then I will always be at a disadvantage because I am left handed.  The nostromos, razer naga players will always have better equipment then me because it is designed to make all the keybinding easier and ther is nothing on the market that I can use right now.  There is no left handed mouse available with more than 8 buttons.

Also any game based on stats by rank can never be considered an even play ground to determine if your pro or not because if you put two of the exact same skilled players in different gear, one in starter and one in ranked, the starter gear guy loses everytime.  Besides what is the yearly salary of a WOW PRO-PVP player?

Originally posted by Wolvards

Oh, I thought the more abilities you had and could mash, the more pro you were....

Is that why i'm not pro?

WoW and many if not most other MMORPG's have such terrible PvP balance because of the fact they have so many damn buttons to press which equates directly to abilities to balance.

1/2 the "skill" in being a "PRO-PVPer" in games like WoW is making the right choice at character creation.

All the proof you need is looking at the team comps during the Arena Tournaments. Almost every team in the final few rounds is generally the exact same class composition.

I don't think MMOs should have levels or stat gear at all, so you're not talking about me. And having more keybinds does in fact usually equal more skill.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Have fun in WoW, the King of sandboxes, uhm, well, maybe not. But anyway have fun in WoW gathering Pokemons! Gear threadmills can have some appeal if you have lots of time to burn. I hope you're not confusing that with skill.

imageimage

I don't think MMOs should have levels or stat gear at all, so you're not talking about me. And having more keybinds does in fact usually equal more skill.

I'd really like to see that justified.

More keybinds = more abilities. That is all. Less is more.

What GW2 did is take all the abilities that would just apply a buff or debuff and tied in the damage component and slammed it onto your bar.

Where as in WoW you'd have an abilitiy to increase the damage someone takes (Sunder Armor, Curse of Elements etc.) AND then a damaging attack.

In GW2 you do both in one move.

Sure, there are of course abilities in WoW that do more than +/- state or damage but in GENERAL that's the big difference.

GW2 takes a lot of the utility abilities from other MMOs and jams them into the damaging abilities.

And it also makes combat in GW2 MORE about skill, not less, because you don't have damaging rotations because every ability for the most part has some form of utility to it.

All about timing and position, instead of "keep debuff X up at all times" or "remove buff Y at all times" ability spam.

Short duration buffs and debuffs with cooldowns - you have to time it right and coordinate with your team rather than just keep it applied at all times = more skill.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

/facepalm

I guess shooters don't take any skills cause I only one my mouse+3 keys. 

The fact that you make such a ridiculous statement shows that you are not a "pro-gamer" but rather a "pro-WoW gamer". What applies to WoW doesnt necessarily apply to other games

Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Have fun in WoW, the King of sandboxes, uhm, well, maybe not. But anyway have fun in WoW gathering Pokemons! Gear threadmills can have some appeal if you have lots of time to burn. I hope you're not confusing that with skill.

My sandbox issue was in the "In general" issue category, not a comparison to WoW. And WoW isn't a gear tredmill, at least in PvP, because you just cap your conquest points every week (Which takes no work) for a few weeks and then you're fully geared for the rest of the PvP season. It's annoying to do every time, but you don't play to get more gear (At least for me), you play to own people and become the best and then link your achievements to people like I just did on here, and feel all superior inside.

Originally posted by fundayz

/facepalm

I guess shooters don't take any skills cause I only one my mouse+3 keys. 

The fact that you make such a ridiculous statement shows that you are not a "pro-gamer" but rather a "pro-WoW gamer". What applies to WoW doesnt necessarily apply to other games

In shooters you aim, which takes a level of skill, but WoW does take more skill than shooters, though TERA probably takes more skill than WoW because of the added aiming while still having lots of skills. It's too bad it had terrible endgame and no players, because I loved its combat.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

My sandbox issue was in the "In general" issue category, not a comparison to WoW. And WoW isn't a gear tredmill, at least in PvP, because you just cap your conquest points every week (Which takes no work) for a few weeks and then you're fully geared for the rest of the PvP season. It's annoying to do every time, but you don't play to get more gear (At least for me), you play to own people and become the best and then link your achievements to people like I just did on here, and feel all superior inside.

really ? superior ? wow...talk about low ambition toward life....

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Obviously this guy is horrid at PvP.
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

This is why I know your not telling the truth.

I played a gladiator DK as well and I only needed 15 keybinds TOPS.  Same with Warriors.  At least next time come make up a much harder and more skillful class like a Lock or a Hunter, now those were classes with lots of keybinds required.

Exhibit B:

From Keybinds

Take note of the "HI ZYLAXX" in the chat bar.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

That's what competition is about.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by zakiyawow

That's what competition is about.

Video game ? well keep up the good work and I am sure your resume will look GREAT with it.

Originally posted by Nilenya

your combat consists of mainly autoattacking?  and you mention elementalist in the same sentence?

You are supposed to be flicking between your auras so that you can benefit from all your combo's and buffs in combat, plus the great mobility it gives you.

And if you play as you say, mainly auto attacking, why do you want ranked spvp. You'd never see anything but the buttom anyway.

You might be right about Ele's considering how low the CD is between the swapping and the abilities therein (She's my newest character), but I'll see if it's actually efficient to do in practical terms, especially since it looks like the higher level I get, the less useful swapping will be, because I'll be more specialised into one or two, making the other ones too weak in comparison to be useful for attacking with (Can still use utilities).

But weapon swapping for the mesmer and guardian (Which I did, especially for Mesmer) still led to just autoattacking most of the time.

This discussion has been closed.