Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else only play MMO's when they are under a lot of career, scholastic, or emotional stress?

If I just want pure adrenaline, action, fun etc I'll play a shooter, action game, casual sports game, strategy etc.

Even if I'm looking for an immersive story, I'll play a single player RPG. If I want good PVE I'll play a Diablo 3 hack n slash.

I'm not saying MMO's can't be fun, I think the PVP niche in MMO's is brilliant but to suffer through the grind to get there....(havent played GW2 so Ive heard thats different).

I'm saying that I only resort to MMO's as a "drug" when nothing else is enough of an escape. MMO's offer the POTENTIAL(rarely deliver though, hence all the b!tching here) of the ultimate escape from reality because its an alternate reality that even the most immersive CRPG's can't provide. Its my "rock bottom".  The timesink nature of the game is almost like "giving up" on the real-world. Anyone else feel me?

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I play all sorts of games. Not one is for anything more then the entertainment value. MMO's I play are sometimes for "story" or to just hang out with a few online and RL friends. Others are the same but the Multiplayer aspect of say a BF3 does not allow for "social" time as well.  I don't play MMO's for the PvP as I don't care for the PvP of any MMO that I have ever played to date...and I have played many.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I train atleast 5 days a week for 2-2.5hrs a day. My game time is my time to relax.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

MMOs tend to offer immediate rewards for actions taken.  That Skinner Box effect is very addictive when you're in a phase of your life where successes and failures seem uncorrelated with the effort you make.  When real life is regularly providing you that positive and negative feedback, escape isn't as appealing.

(at least that's the way I see it)

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by maplestone

MMOs tend to offer immediate rewards for actions taken.  That Skinner Box effect is very addictive when you're in a phase of your life where successes and failures seem uncorrelated with the effort you make.  When real life is regularly providing you that positive and negative feedback, escape isn't as appealing.

(at least that's the way I see it)

Yes, I think that must be it!

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.