Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guesstimations SWG v SWTOR

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Swtor by far sold more copies at launch than at  SWG's launch.

My question is over time in the end will SWG make more net profit.  NGE was a disaster for the game but I think it held onto around 300k players consistently.  In the end its consistent numbers Vs rocket climb and dump.

I think SWG has a shot to win overall. Considering EAs catastophic handling of the whole thing which mainly includes their reaction speed to issues, seems like turtle pace.

Comments

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Guess someone will have to necro this thread years in the future to give you your answer.. :)
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I don't think SWTOR will survive into 2014. If City of Heroes can close after a year of F2P, so can SWTOR, especially when there is not much depth to it. City of Heroes is far more better MMO than SWTOR is (whether it is a better game is a matter of opinion)

If they announced SWTOR was closing instead of going F2P, I would not be upset in the slightest, despite buying the collectors edition at full price of £130, and levelling several characters.

If SWG was still active, I would be still playing it now, and forever.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    All I know is that SWG had much more lasting appeal than SWTOR has.
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Bioware have created a game that's difficult to expand upon in any meaningful way without spending another fortune. I'm guessing that kind of money isn't going to be forthcoming again.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Ya I think in the end swg will win out, after all swg had two or three expansions.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

No chance SWTOR makes more...SWG was so cheaply made by Koster that the production cost was low, just the production cost of SWTOR alone will nix box sales.

And yes, SWG fanboys, I liked SWG more tha SWTOR so chill out and BREATHE!

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    A lot of folks seem unhappy with SWTOR and SWG is dead, so I'm not sure how anyone wins.
  • ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

To the original OP:   I think SWG held around 100K on average every year after NGE, not 300K though it may have spiked close to that a few times.  Its possible that SWG could still make more money than TOR over the long haul if TOR closes next year, which I doubt, but is possible.

But, total money made I think is a poor mark of a games success.  In the realm of Pay to play I would say that customer-years (total years worth of customers subscribed, so 100 players subed for 6 months each would be 50 customer-years, as would 50 players subbed for a full year or 200 players subbed for 3 months) would be a better measure, perhaps divide that by total money spent developing and maintaining the game to get a feel for success scaled to expense.  But with TOR going Freemium its a lot harder to judge success other than your original measure of total money made.

It will be interesting in a decade to look back and see how SWTOR is compared to SWG as far as "success as an MMO".

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Abimor
    Ya I think in the end swg will win out, after all swg had two or three expansions.

Thats a good measure of success too!   It was three: Space, Kashyyyk and Mustafar.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well for you SWG die hards, SWTOR is unlikely to emulate SWG's longevity, whereas SWG can emulate itself.

http://www.xfire.com/games/swg/Star_Wars_Galaxies_An_Empire_Divided/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by rdrakken

No chance SWTOR makes more...SWG was so cheaply made by Koster that the production cost was low, just the production cost of SWTOR alone will nix box sales.

And yes, SWG fanboys, I liked SWG more tha SWTOR so chill out and BREATHE!

Agree. JR, EA's CEO. said that SWTOR needed 1M long term subs to "make a profit but nothing to write home about".

And that was said after EA announced 2M sales - which analysts estimated would net EA $60M profit. (EA sell to retailers not end customers and then e.g. Amazon take a huge chunk of that $60 sale price; and the boxes have to be produced and distributed.)

The highest sub number EA announced was 850k - EA clarifies in March that roughly half of the 1.7M they announced in Feb were subscribers. So SWTOR hasn't paid for itself.

SWG on the other hand - whilst expensive at the time was a cheaper game, with expansions (cough) and held on to some subs for a long time. So unless EA find some magic cash shop formula SWG will probably win out.

Of course, at the end of the day the real winner was LucasArts. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Wicoa

My question is over time in the end will SWG make more net profit.  NGE was a disaster for the game but I think it held onto around 300k players consistently.  In the end its consistent numbers Vs rocket climb and dump.

I think SWG has a shot to win overall. Considering EAs catastophic handling of the whole thing which mainly includes their reaction speed to issues, seems like turtle pace.

Compared to development costs? And do you count in Lucas arts cut that was more for TOR?

SWG did cost $8M to make which is 5-8% of TORs development cost (both at launch, TORs number is a little scetchy, I am guessing $125M which might be a little low, all I heard officially is more expensive than GTA IV which was $120M).

If you just count money the games get in I think TOR will win. Then again for each dollar invested in SGG TOR invested 20 so for each invested dollar I think SWG actually win.

But neither game could be called a huge success since but underperformed the expactations the devs had.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Wicoa

SWG even pre - NGE had under 300k players, that figure dropped drastically under the NGE, to the point where it was estimated that there were probably fewer than 40k players left, but it did make a profit.

SW;TOR, its not clear if they have even broken even yet, let along profited so in those terms alone.. but.. SW;TOR probably has at least 400k players left, which is more than ever played SWG even during its peak, before the NGE, its too early to tell if that figure is 'retainable' though.

There is a huge questionmark though, over what would have occurred to the disaffected players of SW;TOR, would they have given SWG a go.. chances are they probably wouldn't but.. it would have been an interesting situation.image

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

vs vs vs its all about what u seek / like in a game

i liked SWG from all MMOs ive played cuz of the 95% BoE items, cuz of the houses, the decoration, the easy a-tab, the armor coloring and belive me the most important thing for me = server chat channel!!!

WTH they thinking when create the swtor without a server chat channel?

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN