Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you trade Eve plex with a friend for a Steam game?

JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

I am just worn out on Eve.  I would like to activate my steam account.  I've never used Steam kind of stayed away from the service on purpose.  Out of boredom I decided to try  TF2 recently and would just like the Steam to be activated so that I can add friends ect.

So with that said... If I traded a friend a couple Plex for a cheap Steam game (just to give my account full features) would that be a bannable offense?  It's been awhile (probably a year?) where I am pretty sure I saw comments from a developer who stated that they would not provide support if a player gets scammed but it won't get the accounts banned either if CCP found out.  Haven't had an active sub for awhile either so really don't know if their stance has changed or not.  

Not talking about selling to isk sellers or anything. That's not an option. Never used such services in any game and I won't start now. 

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by JayBirdz

I am just worn out on Eve.  I would like to activate my steam account.  I've never used Steam kind of stayed away from the service on purpose.  Out of boredom I decided to try  TF2 recently and would just like the Steam to be activated so that I can add friends ect.

So with that said... If I traded a friend a couple Plex for a cheap Steam game (just to give my account full features) would that be a bannable offense?  It's been awhile (probably a year?) where I am pretty sure I saw comments from a developer who stated that they would not provide support if a player gets scammed but it won't get the accounts banned either if CCP found out.  Haven't had an active sub for awhile either so really don't know if their stance has changed or not.  

Not talking about selling to isk sellers or anything. That's not an option. Never used such services in any game and I won't start now. 

Some games on there are like a dollar, and you can buy steam cash at gamestop.  Don't get banned.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Some games on there are like a dollar, and you can buy steam cash at gamestop.  Don't get banned.

Just asking.... Not talking about using a rmt site.  I won't and never have. Like I said could of sworn I saw a similar question asked like a year ago.  Don't know if their stance has changed or not. I haven't been active for awhile.

Free's better so I thought I would ask if I can give a friend who play's Eve a few plex's for a $1 title. ^^.    My assets are just sitting there doing nothing anyways. 

So they changed their stance or?

Just asking.... Not talking about using a rmt site.  I won't and never have. Like I said could of sworn I saw a similar question asked like a year ago.  Don't know if their stance has changed or not. I haven't been active for awhile.

Free's better so I thought I would ask if I can give a friend who play's Eve a few plex's for a $1 title. ^^.    My assets are just sitting there doing nothing anyways. 

Nah their stance is the same.  What you're essentially doing is selling your in game assets for an out of game item with real money value.  No it may not be to a RMT site, but it is still against their rules.

But yeah, if you don't have the cash for a steam card from gamestop, or the credit card to buy a 1$ title, at least hope your friend can give you the buck title out of the kindness of his heart hehe :)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    My question is, how are they going to know that is what you traded it for? If someone just gave someone plex, would they really question it, and if so why does it matter at that point.
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    My question is, how are they going to know that is what you traded it for? If someone just gave someone plex, would they really question it, and if so why does it matter at that point.

They might not know.  They might not bad.  Why risk it?

Nah their stance is the same.  What you're essentially doing is selling your in game assets for an out of game item with real money value.  No it may not be to a RMT site, but it is still against their rules.

But yeah, if you don't have the cash for a steam card from gamestop, or the credit card to buy a 1$ title, at least hope your friend can give you the buck title out of the kindness of his heart hehe :)

Money is not the point....

How would they even know if we are bing honest.  . I think this is what the developer on the forums post stated as well.  If I could find the post i would post it. But basically if my memory serves me right. The developer stated that as long as it didn't become an issue (scam) nothing would happen.  It's a grey area but not the same.  So it hasn't always been the same. It's definitely a grey area. I even think that dev stated it as such.

There is a difference. Everyone is has given a plex is suspect with what you stated.  RMT sites do damage not only to the game economy by using bots and whatnot. But also the persons PC who uses the site most likely.  Among other things.  I didn't ask about RMT. Don't want to talk about it. It's not an option that I would use or even thought of using.

Edit... someone beat me to it. lol

• UBakedUBaked Member Posts: 7

i cant be stuffed googling it - u might though since it effects you

eu courts ruled its not  ILLEGAL to sellgme accounts even were the comapny says otherwise

they used the example of once its sold that account doesnt belong to them - like a dvd u buy then resell to a mate

in game items my be different

think eu courts evan ruled u could sell ur steam account

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/eu-ruling-forces-digital-distribution-to-allow-game-transfers-m/

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

excert from press release -
    "An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences allowing the use of his programs downloaded from the internet
    The exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by such a licence is exhausted on its first sale"

"By its judgment delivered today, the Court explains that the principle of exhaustion of the distribution right applies not only where the copyright holder markets copies of his software on a material medium (CD-ROM or DVD) but also where he distributes them by means of downloads from his website.
    Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy. Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy."

i probaly miss read - found what i was talking bout though lol

"You may not transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction (or offer to do any of the foregoing), any content appearing within the Game environment, including without limitation characters, character attributes, items, currency, and objects, other than via a permitted Character Transfer"

I am not trying to be mean, just saying it's right there in the EULA.

It is bannable.  Whether you get caught or not or if they can even tell what you did doesn't change the fact that they don't want it happening.

Enjoy TF2

"You may not transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction (or offer to do any of the foregoing), any content appearing within the Game environment, including without limitation characters, character attributes, items, currency, and objects, other than via a permitted Character Transfer"

I am not trying to be mean, just saying it's right there in the EULA.

It is bannable.  Whether you get caught or not or if they can even tell what you did doesn't change the fact that they don't want it happening.

Enjoy TF2

I understand.  It's also been updated over time.

Maybe it's been longer than a year since I saw that developer post. I've played Eve for something like 6-7 years. Maybe longer. I would have to look at my acc history. So the 1 year ago could be off.  I do know that there definitely was a post from a developer who called this sort of thing a "grey area" at the time.  It was on the old forums for sure.  Explaining that if someone was trying to run a scam doing this it would end up bad.  If the trade turned out to be an issue between the two parties (a petition got sent in) both parties would be banned..

CCP does tend to change their stance on sensitive subjects fairly often or at least have in the past.  Seems it has changed. 

Originally posted by Panther2103

They wouldn't question it. People in corps front friends plex's all the time when a friend is tight on isk.   If they looked into every plex transfer they wouldn't have the manpower to do anything else. Which was kind of the point that the dev at the time was making. This has for sure been awhile ago.  How long I honestly don't know I was just guessing at a year. Which in turn is the reason I thought I might ask.

They won't know if it happens unless it becomes an issue between the involved parties or it starts happening on a massive scale.     

I am looking for the dev post but that's a task on it's own. Since it's already been suggested that no dev would of stated such.  Not hopefull I will find it given the time span.