Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

not a mmo

pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

have to admit this is an interesting game, but an mmo it is not, there is no chat going on in public channels no grouping up, I have zero reason to group up so far, never felt so lonely in an mmo that has released ever.

Am I missing something.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i always see public zone chat

join a guild ?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

No chat going on..? Change your chat settings I'd say. /Map is always full on my server.
    I admit, other than WvWvW and dungeons, there's no real reason for grouping *saldy*, but you group 'automatically' when you're doing a dynamic event.

I gotta say, that GW2 does feel more like a MMO on lower levels than WoW ever did for me.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

There is chat and the likes around but I do get what your saying. While its suppose to be social, all it seems is group zergs of events. Your 'working' together but at the same time your really not 'playing' together. Your more so just individuals doing the same event. There are times when events are called but for the most part it just feels like the other players are just there. It only gets worst when you get zergs going and your just following along and afking, not really doing much in terms of interaction.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Hope you have got your hard hat on,these kind of threads are not allowed.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by pmaura

have to admit this is an interesting game, but an mmo it is not, there is no chat going on in public channels no grouping up, I have zero reason to group up so far, never felt so lonely in an mmo that has released ever.

Am I missing something.

?

Check your chat settings. There are always people babbling away on my server.  Makes it annoying actually at times when I'm trying to put a group together for a dungeon to be honest.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

You mean absurd threads that begin with "not an mmo" when that's blatantly false?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Purutzil

There is chat and the likes around but I do get what your saying. While its suppose to be social, all it seems is group zergs of events. Your 'working' together but at the same time your really not 'playing' together. Your more so just individuals doing the same event. There are times when events are called but for the most part it just feels like the other players are just there. It only gets worst when you get zergs going and your just following along and afking, not really doing much in terms of interaction.

when people die - ive seen more cooperative interaction than i usually see among strangers in mmos

people may rez you, people may thank you for being rezzed

in other mmos,

usually players are in same region they are competition for your quest mobs / quest items

you dont have to follow any zerg, thats up to you

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

There are two sides to this, GW2 is still a bit MMO-lite overrall that much I agree with, but the grouping I dont agree so much, the only thing a group offers you is just a dedicated long distance chat, you dont need to be grouped to tag a mob for instance, I have had plenty of times where people have joined the group I usually play with ( we use 5 slots so no room for anyone else ), and people just tagged along we spoke in /say chat and we completed events together, the same goes for when you are doing a dragon or whatever, being grouped up is almost just a way of providing a long distance private chat for your 5 party, because you dont really need it.

I will give you a concrete example of something that happened, I went back to a lower level area to farm some fangs for crafting, I was killing some warthogs and some of the feathered raptors, this guy who I could see was pretty high level as well was there killing, after we realized we were both farming the same thing we just started chit chatting and continued farming together, I felt no need to invite him to a group we just assisted eachother on the same mobs for efficiency in loot continued chatting, after a while he went away we said our goodbyes and I just continued farming.

Making a party would be just a formality, much like getting married :P

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Am I missing something.

So do you generally group up with strangers to do quests in WoW and WoW-like games?

In fact, aren't you generally hoping there is no one areound so you can do your quests faster?

Did you try to group up?

I mean, you feel lonely but then say there is no reason for you to group up.

Don't be affraid to talk.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

have to admit this is an interesting game, but an mmo it is not, there is no chat going on in public channels no grouping up, I have zero reason to group up so far, never felt so lonely in an mmo that has released ever.Am I missing something.

"Is" an MMO, sorry your unique perspective has skewed reality for you.

/tiny violin

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think GW2 is more an MMO than what else is out there because you can share everything with others, even personal choice parts if in a group. I don't think the line of delineation should be about typing but doing things with others. As a slowish typer I rather like the fact I don't need to type as much. Once people are spread out and content is not zerged you will see more talking in chat. I'm already seeing it now.
  • ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

Okay the definition of an MMORPG is a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG. So taking each in turn, well, there's more than just a few people online at the same time and all can communicate with each other for the purposes of forming groups, etc. Also the game is online, and it is an RPG.

So yep. Definitely an MMO.

But saying that there's a trend these days to create games that have a more single player orientation when it comes to the playstyle, with personal stories, what have you. GW2 seems to be better than most in the current crop in that you can invite friends to help you rather than to struggle with your personal story single-handed.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

The game is new and everyone's busy doing stuff. Someone has to break the ice, if no one talks, you should start a convo. It works for me, even with my crappy English, haha. :] I've made several friends during DEs and exploring. Just be nice and help / revive people. A few days ago I finished a boss skill challenge, I was about to leave when an Ele came to kill it, she died, I revived her and helped her kill the boss. Then she said thanks, we started to talk and decided to clear other zones together. Fun times! :)

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Am I missing something.

You are missing playing GW2... dunno what you are playing.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by Bijou

The game is new and everyone's busy doing stuff. Someone has to break the ice, if no one talks, you should start a convo. It works for me, even with my crappy English, haha. :] I've made several friends during DEs and exploring. Just be nice and help / revive people. A few days ago I finished a boss skill challenge, I was about to leave when an Ele came to kill it, she died, I revived her and helped her kill the boss. Then she said thanks, we started to talk and decided to clear other zones together. Fun times! :)

When you talk wiht people around, it can be cool :D It really really helps socialization.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Am I missing something.

Yes :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I see people talking in map chat non-stop. I would shut it off because it makes it hard to catch guild chat and whispers but there is good information that comes up in map chat. Like people needing more people for events etc.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

It's because they're stupid.  

Massive. -- Yes.

Mulitiplayer.  -- Yes.

Online.  --  Yes.

/thread

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I see people talking in map chat non-stop. I would shut it off because it makes it hard to catch guild chat and whispers but there is good information that comes up in map chat. Like people needing more people for events etc.

Make a new tab.   That's what I did.  I have what I want and still have the option of quickly changing over to default tab.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Am I missing something.

Yup. You are missing the understanding that it is a choice. One made by the players to not chat. Maybe try speaking out.

• McJaggerMcJagger Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Purutzil

when people die - ive seen more cooperative interaction than i usually see among strangers in mmos

people may rez you, people may thank you for being rezzed

in other mmos,

usually players are in same region they are competition for your quest mobs / quest items

you dont have to follow any zerg, thats up to you

Agreed!

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I see no reason to team up in the open world if it's not Dungeons or PvP. Teaming up in open world comes naturally as you explore and you don't have to chat and group if you don't want to.

Best game i've played. 

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Am I missing something.

Yes

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    HAHAHAHA. I have never played a more social game. What a load of tripe.
  • spirus7spirus7 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    to OP ..dude i had like years to see a living breathing game like this!The chat is always alive and the community of this game looks very mature .. doh?are you sure you are playing gw2 and not gw1? :)
This discussion has been closed.