Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe's video review is up.

Comments

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

His review is absolutly correct.

I will add one more negative to the game that is performance optimization.

But soon everything will be fixed and this game will be 10/10 for REAL!

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Medicated03
    SMH... i stopped watching after he said combat is skill based allowing you to kill monsters many levels higher than you.... wonder if he even played the game lol.

Low level mobs are pushovers. Starting level 25 I noticed some mobs are harder than the others. It also becomes harder to 3 vs 1 them unlike when I was level 11, requiring me to be more mindful of my usage of skills.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Couple things to take away from this:

-He's not an avid MMO player. He's essentially a console player who tried MMOs but never got into them because he had to pay $15/month for constant content updates.

-He likes the "casual" gameplay of GW2

-He has no real experience with MMOs to be making broad sweeping generalizations like he does in this video.

Quite frankly PayToPlay subscription model is still going strong, and will for quite some time as long as people demand quality over quantity.

Wait 6months from now to judge GW2, but their cash-shop is steadily becoming a sore issue at hand.

This is what happens when a game reviewer with a moderate amount of popularity gets swept up in what we call the "Honey Moon" period for an MMO before you actually know what's going on.

Oh no, how dare he not to be. Beause of that his impression is pointless. image

Oh yea, i forgot.... cash shop is P2W y'know.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Zefire

His review is absolutly correct.

I will add one more negative to the game that is performance optimization.

But soon everything will be fixed and this game will be 10/10 for REAL!

Except for his comment on "Nail to the coffin of P2P". You forgot that ;)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by dzoni87

-He's not an avid MMO player. He's essentially a console player who tried MMOs but never got into them because he had to pay $15/month for constant content updates.

-He has no real experience with MMOs to be making broad sweeping generalizations like he does in this video.

Quite frankly PayToPlay subscription model is still going strong, and will for quite some time as long as people demand quality over quantity.

Wait 6months from now to judge GW2, but their cash-shop is steadily becoming a sore issue at hand.

This is what happens when a game reviewer with a moderate amount of popularity gets swept up in what we call the "Honey Moon" period for an MMO before you actually know what's going on.

I won't get into a discussion about this, but when you can buy 8gold for $50 using the in-game system it can actually be considered P2W. Not that i'm calling it that, but it can be.

Also, him being NOT an avid MMO player does actually make his impression pointless. He's making broad sweeping comments about how GW2 is the end-all-be-all that we've seen repeated on these forums and shut down by even rabid Fanbois of GW2.

It's like me making sweeping broad statements about new Car Components that just came out regardless of the fact I have no idea what i'm talking about.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    I wanted to do DEs but they didn't happen at certain levels or areas forcing me to do hearts. It is clear that i had a messed up experience since if a lot of people are doing DEs when I wasn't.

I kept on asking people on these forums if they experienced the same thing, and never got any confirmation.

So it seems people will agree that DEs for their area happen frequently. Well that certainly did not happen for me.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

The Trading Post is functioning pefectly fine now.

So get something new to complain about.

He wasn't talking about the trading post at all when he talked about that. You can't trade your 50 copper for that guys 25 jute through the Trading Post bub.

Besides his complaint IS valid about that. GW1 had it in on top of the automated materials sellers (somewhat similar to how the trading post works). Now if I'm next to someone, and they are looking for some items and I have them and don't need them, what's so wrong with wanting to be able to just click on his name, and trade him it. Or like he said, if I have X and someone has Y, and we want what the other guy has, mailing the item isn't exactly an option that is safe for either of us, way too open to being tricked/scammed.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I won't get into a discussion about this, but when you can buy 8gold for $50 using the in-game system it can actually be considered P2W. Not that i'm calling it that, but it can be.

Also, him being NOT an avid MMO player does actually make his impression pointless. He's making broad sweeping comments about how GW2 is the end-all-be-all that we've seen repeated on these forums and shut down by even rabid Fanbois of GW2.

It's like me making sweeping broad statements about new Car Components that just came out regardless of the fact I have no idea what i'm talking about.

Sonsidering cash shop, you need to realise how item system works in GW2. So, whatever you can buy for with 8 gold, go ahead and buy it, if it will make you "the winner" of i dont know what.

What this guy is doing is basically making a video game reviews on more humorous way. That is exactly what make him stand out. Well, i agree, he may be more positive than should. However, he dont need to be Hardcore MMORPG player, but as far as i know hes being quite some time in the video game industry now. And you need to be only that long to know what the flaws of MMORPG are as a genre.

And generally yes, GW2 differences helps bring non-MMORPGers to at least think about trying one. Whether one MMORPGer like it or not.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Wow, can't disagree more. Now you have to be an mmo vet to have valid impressions??

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    I wanted to do DEs but they didn't happen at certain levels or areas forcing me to do hearts. It is clear that i had a messed up experience since if a lot of people are doing DEs when I wasn't.

I kept on asking people on these forums if they experienced the same thing, and never got any confirmation.

So it seems people will agree that DEs for their area happen frequently. Well that certainly did not happen for me.

Most times if not all the times DE's tells a story , grasp where it is going , and you are getting on a roll, where DE after DE is following. 

Its like surfing when you catch a wave it's a matter of keeping your self up on it, when you miss it you have to wait for the next one! 

When i miss DE's it can take some time to find them again, but knowing where to look , how to start them , and so on really minimailse the time with out them.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Probably the most bias review ever, he doesn't even mention the auction house or the many down for maintenace messages you get in game. Complete lack of security and non existent customer service. Absense of any real endgame. Those are some of the games biggest problems and he doesn't touch on any of them? The only big issue he does mention is the WvW ques and that's only because he would lose all credibilitty whatsoever if he didn't.

The game is worth $60 but is hardly the best thing since sliced bread and wouldn't be special if it wasn't B2P.

At 23:55 he goes into the negatives about the game.  Did you watch that far?  He does talk about a fair amount of things even though his review is over all positive.  I think it was a VERY fair review.  Do you play the game?  I do.  Just wondered if you maybe had your own ideas of what is good and bad about the game.  Seems you've only listed the bad.  /shrug

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Angry joes reviews are always entertaining. Can't agree on the 10/10 score but it is up there. I do think that gw2 players will have a hard time rationalizing sub fees for future games. 
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Wow, can't disagree more. Now you have to be an mmo vet to have valid impressions??

No, but you have to have some form of experience other than trying WoW for a month or so before generalizing the genre to your own expectations.

This is probably what's wrong with our market.

What I do know is that if you don't have the experience or knowledge for a given realm of information you have no business giving your "impressions". Again, it is not dissimilar to a Gun Collector giving his "impressions" of a Car from a Car Collector point of view when you have no experience collecting cars.

You can disagree, but it doesn't make his impression anymore valid than Jeremy Clarkson's "impressions" of Guild Wars 2.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

No, but you have to have some form of experience other than trying WoW for a month or so before generalizing the genre to your own expectations.

What I do know is that if you don't have the experience or knowledge for a given realm of information you have no business giving your "impressions". Again, it is not dissimilar to a Gun Collector giving his "impressions" of a Car from a Car Collector point of view when you have no experience collecting cars.

You can disagree, but it doesn't make his impression anymore valid than Jeremy Clarkson's "impressions" of Guild Wars 2.

This guys impressions are coming from a video game player that admitetly so does not play to many mmos. Of course in our genre we have folks that hate when someone from the outside talks about an mmo game, usually because its bad. In this case its because he loved it and you pretty much have an agenda against it.

I think that mmo players need to be more open to others trying our genre thats the only way it will grow. Yes, I know growth brings a lot of bad with it but it also brings a lot of good. The folks that watch this guy's videos are probably people that don't play too many mmos and to actually have them see one he likes might encourage them and grow our genre. So I find HIS personal impressions very valid.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

This guys impressions are coming from a video game player that admitetly so does not play to many mmos. Of course in our genre we have folks that hate when someone from the outside talks about an mmo game, usually because its bad. In this case its because he loved it and you pretty much have an agenda against it.

I think that mmo players need to be more open to others trying our genre thats the only way it will grow. Yes, I know growth brings a lot of bad with it but it also brings a lot of good. The folks that watch this guy's videos are probably people that don't play too many mmos and to actually have them see one he likes might encourage them and grow our genre. So I find HIS personal impressions very valid.

So damn true.

Honestly MMOs weren't my thing either(I tried betas of many) but the exact things Angry Joe said is the [exact] reasons I digg GW2.

I first started off keeping an eye on SWTOR but some things where off, so Tera and GW2 really gave me good impressions from demos(one of my friends made it into Tera close beta and I like what I saw back then).

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Probably the most bias review ever, he doesn't even mention the auction house or the many down for maintenace messages you get in game. Complete lack of security and non existent customer service. Absense of any real endgame. Those are some of the games biggest problems and he doesn't touch on any of them? The only big issue he does mention is the WvW ques and that's only because he would lose all credibilitty whatsoever if he didn't.

The game is worth $60 but is hardly the best thing since sliced bread and wouldn't be special if it wasn't B2P.

I hate saying this, but his review seems payed off, even though it probably isn't.

He does the classic GW2 fanboy mistake of listing things as "new and exciting" when they're really not. New, I mean. That just comes of as extremely weird to me. It's not like we can't fact-check these things, or know them from experience?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    That dude is funny as hell.  I'd enjoy his positive review even if I hated the game. lol The Metrica Province Jumping Puzzle had me in tears!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

He's making broad sweeping comments about how GW2 is the end-all-be-all that we've seen repeated on these forums and shut down by even rabid Fanbois of GW2.

Angry Joe GW2 quote from his summary: 

GW2 puts a spin on old ideas, improving them

sounds realistic to me

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Originally posted by Medicated03
    SMH... i stopped watching after he said combat is skill based allowing you to kill monsters many levels higher than you.... wonder if he even played the game lol.

Low level mobs are pushovers. Starting level 25 I noticed some mobs are harder than the others. It also becomes harder to 3 vs 1 them unlike when I was level 11, requiring me to be more mindful of my usage of skills.

You missed the point entirely, there is quite a limit to how much higher mobs you can actually fight
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Let me first state that I don't care about GW2 at all, it's success or failure means nothing to me. Having said that I have to agree with Faded, in this case his impressions are quite pointless.

I mean, how many complaint threads have been posted by members with low post counts? Most of them are just brushed aside by the GW2 community here. They're called trolls, told that their opinion doesn't matter and then forgotten about. It seems to me that, at least on these boards, if your not an avid poster then your opinion doesn't mean sqaut. We should hold this review to that same standard. He admittedly doesn't play MMOs that often, so he isn't qualified to judge the quality of this game.

I wonder if when Yahtzee's eventual review comes out and he (more than likely) doesn't care much for the game, will you GW2 fans be okay with that? Or, will all of you say that his reviews aren't serious and criticize the fact that he too doesn't much care for MMOs?

I don't play Yahtzee so if he gives it a 10 I will say good for Yahtzee players. I won't start hating the Yahtzee players because I like Uno.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

He doesnt like monthly fee huh, like so many others who think that means its free.

Also he likes the game for all the features that is not mmorpg, which is one of the reason he never played one.

Enthusiastic Joe does have some good points still. Combat still looks bit too chaotic and just like WoW its just too much of a lightshow in which you loose the tactical aspect.. ever played a tank in WoW ?

Love the idea of hearts instead of quests, hard to tell if hearts really are different or still just quest systems in another wrap. Another review mentioned he was lvl 80 in 80 hours, thats way t00 fast. Personal err "personal" storylines and replayability in those.. sigh get the f out of mmorpgs, and spend that efford on clever replayable gameplay. No no dont get me wrong there are loads of nice new features and approaches, but some of them are just not that roleplay-ish.

Well anyways, Im sure I will play it someday for the pvp, old fart out.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

After watching this video, I went and canceled my WoW accounts and MoP pre-orders. I haven't even logged into WoW other than to check my mail since GW2 launched.  

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I found this review to be interesting, so I thought that I'd post it in the review section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Just a heads up for those who find his videos entertaining or are on the fence and want an in depth video on game play and someone's opinion on it.

Note:  The video may contain profanity.

I've never had this much fun watching any other reviewers like totalbiscuit or yogscast but I gotta say 

this guy is funny, articulate and just genius I'm a fan already because he makes me laugh so hard while presenting some facts. Sure he's not perfect he got some of the info wrong like for example hearts are not really main quests or anything like that and he didn't know about the trading post at all but overall his inthousiasm is contagious.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    very entertaining review and think it covers a lot of what the game offers.. missed some things on both sides good and bad but overall I enjoyed watching this:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

You say that like it's a taboo or some shit like that, I was originally a console player myself years ago and even though I have only played mmo's for the last 5 years I've always thought that mmo's were lacking many features console players take for granted since the 90's 

just because it's the mmorpg genre doesn't mean all mmo's need to be the same boring shit copy pasted and skinned differently all the time. Imagine if the action adventure genre on consoles was like that it would've died ions ago LOL

And yes from a console player's perspective paying a monthly fee to play a game you already bought and own is insane and plain stupidity.