Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game realy is great.

CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

(My turn)

So I got a Warrior to 15, then an Engineer to 30, then a Ranger to 20. All humans.

Finally broke down to make a Sylvari.  Didn't care for the male look of them so I made a female Sylvari. Elementalist.

She's gorgeous, really graceful looking.  And this is large part due to the amazing quality of ArenaNet's animations for this game.   Next to TERA, I haven't played an MMORPG this well animated.  From different walking animations based on what weapon you're carrying to the hilarity of getting blown back by a shotgun blast or a bomb.

I've never been a big fan of Themepark MMOs. I've played them all, but only ever max leveld in LOTR (because of a specific girl keeping me playing it well beyond when I would've otherwise lost interest.)

Guild Wars 2 is easily the most impressive themepark MMO I have played, and is thusly the one I choose as the most entertaining.

There's a lot of nay-saying going on about the game on this Forum, which is to be expected since this is an Open Forum and there's just more negative people in this world than there are positive.

But if you've ever had any interest in Fantasy RPGs and are considering Guild Wars 2.  It really is worth your money.

(Added: Here's your list of reasons to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y  Enjoy!)

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

amen to that :)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Whoa hold on there. One of the forum regulars makes a decent, level-headed, positive post about the game and all we get is the sound of crickets. Yet everytime some nimrod makes a negetive, 2 or less post count, drive by, sockpuppet flame bait post, you guys are all over it like white on rice.

You know before the next one of the regulars make a snide comment about how septic the forums here are, they just may want to take a good hard think about exactly why that is.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Whoa hold on there. One of the forum regulars makes a decent, level-headed, positive post about the game and all we get is the sound of crickets. Yet everytime some nimrod makes a negetive, 2 or less post count, drive by, sockpuppet flame bait post, you guys are all over it like white on rice.

You know before the next one of the regulars make a snide comment about how septic the forums here are, they just may want to take a good hard think about exactly why that is.

i think you signature is quiet off with the years as i think it'll last longer then 2013,5  but damn your sig made me smile  :D

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Not hard to understand.

If people are posting in here is because they can't be playing.

Posts like this only make it harder to not be playing.

Silly nimrod posts are a good way to vent the frustration of not be playing. :)

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317
    Guess i need to rub my legs together then type my response. Glad to have you on the fan wagon

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

The reasons I like the game are manifold.  Here are just some...

"The Trinity" is dead - the characters ALL seem balanced (something I thought I'd never say about an MMO), but some people used to being a Tank find it disorientating.  They sort of think "Where's the squishies who keep me alive?" whereas the traditional 'squishy' classes can all handle things perfectly fine but still expect to die when fighting multiple mobs.  Everyone is self-sufficient in that there's healing available on just about every class I have tried so far, and it's the area buffs classes bring really make a difference in a big battle.:D

Travel is a blast.  Many waypints in every zone mean you can explore all you want but skip places you've already been to.  Access to the Portals means visiting other zones is no problem.  You can quest where you like.

Levelling down is nifty.  In a "lowbie" zone you can't faceroll everything if you're, say, a level 15 character, but the XP you can gain doing the quests in lower zones makes it worthwhile and they are still a challenge.

The Mail system does not use postboxes.  Mail is available any where, which seems sensible given the world is magic-rich.  You can't mail "to yourself" (I.E. your alts) which is a bit odd, but the shared bank slots are available at any Crafting Station you come across. 

Banking has become easier in that you can send all the resource materials you gather to the Bank Storage simply by clicking on the option in your inventory, which is great for clearing your bags.

For the hunters out there (I love playing a Hunter in any MMO) you can have a huge array of pets to call forth.  ANY mob with the prefix 'Juvenile...' can be tamed.  By level 5, thanks to bouncing around the racial starting zones, I had about 7 pets, some Land pets, some Amphibious and some Underwater) I'd.

Talking of Underwater zones, there are some nice areas to do missions in and just explore.  Every character comes with a breathing mask and an underwater weapon such as a Speargun.

Questing is very interesting, in that you have a Story Arc, but other than that most quests are Area quests.  You can drop in and do one as you pass by, and so can anyone else.  XP is good, too.  Heck, you even get some XP for rezzing (Reviving) other players and NPCs)  While you do some Instanced missions, it's basically an open world with lots (I mean LOTS) of people about.

Spellcasting is novel.  The items you carry give you a different spellset.  A sword and shield will give a one set of spells, but swapping the sword for a pistol gives spells different to that which the sword gave you.  Swap the shield for a War Horn, and it replaces the shield spells.  Very clever.  You don't need to train up, either, as the spells available to you for that weapon combo unlock as you use them.

Well, that's it for me - back to the game.  :)

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't have any reason to post a list of positives.

All the reviews are about to start coming in on official sources and they'll do all of that for me.

Pay me a sallary like they get and I'll give you my list of positives.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Pretty much my feelings too, even though I generally don't have anything against GOOD theme park MMOs.

GW2 is by far the most impressive MMORPG released in a long, long time. And it's nice to see it's not another "one post wonder" saying that. But we all know who those one post wonders are... it's easier to hide behind a forum alt to insult people and therefore avoid the ban.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MorgaurMorgaur Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I have to agree with the OP. Guild Wars 2 is a very well designed themepark mmo. From graphics to animations. Thumbs up for GW2
  • GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Gotta agree.

I was only interested in GW2 from a distance (I don't much like fantasy and I'm close to burnt out on MMOs) and bought it mainly to see how the various systems worked. Turns out it's a really, really good game, and for the first time in a long time it's given me back that sense of wonder that MMOs used to.

I'll be honest and say that I don't know how long it'll keep me interested, could be another week or a month or longer, but for now I'm totally loving it. I like that there's so many things to do, unlike most MMOs in recent years where there's one gimmick and that's your lot, I'm constantly getting sidetracked by vistas, POIs and DEs. Also I love that you get XP for exploring, I think it's the first game in many years that hasn't been designed for Bartle-scale Achiever players above all others.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Deffiantly a good game, but not what alot of people made it out to be.
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Zecktorin
    Deffiantly a good game, but not what alot of people made it out to be.

Maybe that's what it is to them ;) It's good to make your own decisions. 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Thank for the good impressions OP.

I do agree that from my beta experience in beta, while i didn't find GW2 that different from normal themeparks, it is quite nice, if not quite possibly the best one. But for that i must play the full game.

Cheers and keep having fun.