Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling while idle? Pets do all the work! Quest items for grinding?

DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

The other day I loaded up an alt, which happened to be a ranger with a heavy hitting and armored pet. This character is low level so I was still in the lvl 1-15 zone.

Something came up and I had to leave the computer for a good 20 minutes. When I had come back, I had leveled up... after watching to see what was happening, I realized spawned enemies would attack me or my pet, the pet in turn would annhilate them and walk back to my side. (I also noticed that you can recieve lots of karma from events in which your pet can run in to attack lower level mobs, as long as the pet is participating the player gets the event participation points)

At this point I realized I could just stand in one place, alt tab out of the game or go out for a bit and have the pet do all the work for me.

This of course brings up an interesting subject... is this "cheating" or worth being punished for IF and only IF the player actively uses this to level while away or tabbed out of the game? Arena Net created the ruleset, it does not use any third party software to "bot", and yet you can level up without actually playing the game. Would be interesting to see where the lines are drawn, especially when the design is entirely within the scope and ruleset Anet put in place for a pet class. This may be able to apply to Necromancers as well.

Another thing I noticed is that some public quest items (kill this enemy with this special item) are very powerful and can easily replace the players main weapon for use through out the zone, even in other public quests. For example, an asura had a rack of special guns with its main skill having no cool down. By putting on auto attack, the main attack hits very very fast. At this point the player can grab the special gun, regardless of class, and run around the map killing just about anything...including vetran mobs, possibly champions if they could kite well, and do it with some very high dps. Would this be cheating even though its within Anets design? Perhaps overlooked?

Hopefully the player will not be punished for thinking of alternative ways to use the tools and features put inside Guild Wars 2, but at the same time if they dont like such options perhaps they can find ways to mitigate it with item changes or whatnot.

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Do and you'll (eventually) be reported for exploiting (botting).   And if you do it, and then get banned, and then come back and make a bashing ANet whine thread, I'll come back and point this out.    We all know you can't bot and that is botting.

So, relly, just don't do it.    Also, don't swear at people.   Don't call them racial or sexual names.   Don't let your computer play the game unattended.   Don't pretend pricing mistakes (economic exploits) are 'ok' because ANet made the mistake.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Do and you'll (eventually) be reported for exploiting (botting).   And if you do it, and then get banned, and then come back and make a bashing ANet whine thread, I'll come back and point this out.    We all know you can't bot and that is botting.

So, relly, just don't do it.    Also, don't swear at people.   Don't call them racial or sexual names.   Don't let your computer play the game unattended.   Don't pretend pricing mistakes (economic exploits) are 'ok' because ANet made the mistake.

Botting would involve the use of third party programs to control your character while AFK. This isn't botting at all, not sure where you're getting that from.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    He makes some valid points though. In vanilla wow, you didnt get any loot  from a mob your pet killed without your assistance (if i remember rightly) Its a touchy subject. Even more so for the quest items.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

I can't imagine being very successful with this model... my ranger pet dies so easily... (admittedly, my ranger is very low level)

I do it all the time in LotRO - grinding deeds sometimes requires 450 kills of X, so I walk away and clean or play Rock Band while my pets burn down mobs for me.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Well I just sat at an enemy spawn point with all my minions spawned and eventually they all end up dead if you don't do anything.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

This is cheating. It is bottling and botting does not require a 3rd party program to be considered botting.   Botting means simply grinding while afk. 

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Well I just sat at an enemy spawn point with all my minions spawned and eventually they all end up dead if you don't do anything.

Interesting, are your minions heavily armored? or have the staying power to last in a 1 to 1 fight without assistance? I think thats the qualifying factor...as well as if more than one mob spawns at a time. Lets say you do this near an NPC or Public Quest, other players or npcs can be arround to assist... and or you are in such a low lvl area that the scaling is still in your favor but you still get between 10-15xp per kill and about 40 karma if an event spawns (for example, bandits raid a noob farm).

In my case I had the polar bear out, which honestly gives the impression of having a vetran mob as a pet with how hard it hits and how tough it is.

Disclaimer, I am not recommending people actually level this way... but if its legit then the option seems to exist.

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

This is cheating. It is bottling and botting does not require a 3rd party program to be considered botting.   Botting means simply grinding while afk. 

No, you must be new to mmo's perhaps. Botting is the act of using third party software to control your player through a set of conditions and functions. On the flip side, your pet has basic mmo AI. Making use of that AI is not botting.

This is not to say its a good practice to afk and lvl, but the pets AI is entirely designed and developed by Anet.

In addition to this, a game is made up of rulesets. If the player uses the rulesets it is within the scope of the game. The question is, does anet want that as part of their ruleset, which if not how would they change it and what kind of impact would it have?

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

So his pet, programed by Anet, is botting. Good to know.

You won't get banned nor are you botting, keep doing it if you want.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Botting would involve the use of third party programs to control your character while AFK. This isn't botting at all, not sure where you're getting that from. 

Just because the means are different doesn't mean the ends are.

For example I could take a physical mechanism to constantly press my 1 key to farm a specific spot on specific targets.  Doesn't use any sort of program but it acheives the same criteria.

What the OP explained is no different than botting.  There are obvious things in the game ArenaNet never intended and taking advantage of that has led to consequences because they're that obvious.  If OP does follow through with his plan, gets caught and reported and is disciplined, he's either very, very ignorant or he's just a half asser.

Originally posted by rykim86

For example I could take a physical mechanism to constantly press my 1 key to farm a specific spot on specific targets.  Doesn't use any sort of program but it acheives the same criteria.

What the OP explained is no different than botting.  There are obvious things in the game ArenaNet never intended and taking advantage of that has led to consequences because they're that obvious.  If OP does follow through with his plan, gets caught and reported and is disciplined, he's either very, very ignorant or he's just a half asser.

Wait what plan am I following through with? I think your reading comprehension needs some work if you got that from my post. This is merely a discussion. I am in no rush to level up in the game, therefore such methods are moot for me personally. So please keep your assumptions out of it.

Secondly, if arena net didnt intend for a player to say, jump on top of a building...but they never put in a blocking volume to prevent that...is it then the players fault (especially since they designed the game around getting to unique locations?). That is the fallacy of your argument. The pets AI is set to attack what attacks it or the player. Arena net intended this yes? Its in the code, clear and intentional. Does the player have to move for this to be ok? Botting again is when third party software is interacting with the game. Generally any software outside of what Anet provides is considered a breach of the EULA.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by rykim86

So, like an actual robot, or "bot" if you will.

What the OP describes I would consider to be an expolit. But, a good lawyer could argue out of it with the "Pet AI, is ANet, so it's legit", argument.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    The easiest method is to make it work like DEs for pet professions.  Even if your pet kills the target, if you didn't at least do one auto attack on it, it should give you nothing.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Who the hell _CARES_? Let people level this way, if they want! Let them get their karma - bought items are soulbond so will not skew the market. No changes necessary.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

There are some games where this is allowed and some it is frowned on. By definition, this is not bottling, nor is it exploiting. The means were programmed and put into effect by the dev team. I have yet to see an EULA that this is breaking IF you are in fact sitting at your keyboard and able to respond to any communications sent to you.

Whether they allow it or not would depend on the gm's for the game. In EQ it is allowed by means of pets and mercenaries as long as you can respond to tells which means you are sitting at the keyboard and not using third party programs. If a gm decides you are dominating the zone or hindering others play experience they can and have removed players from zones, but they do not ban for this.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

At this point i have an alt of every class, all of them over 15. What the op is posting smacks of over-embellishment in an attempt to sensationalize something thats really not possible. The pets in this game are weak, no matter the class. This is done for this exact reason. Not once has one of my pets been able to solo effectivley without my direct influence.

Claim it happens all you want, you could have leveled from an event that occured while afk. Pets are not that op in GW2.

Lolipops !

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    They had this problem in DAoC with Bonedancers.  Everyone used to go afk and set thier pets on aggressive to farm gold and level.  Mythic got smart and made it so that after 15 minutes if you didn't do anything you pets went passive mode XD  I'm sure Anet will implement something like that.
  • mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I believe the word you want to use is exploiting in which he is useing an ingame mechanic for something it wasn't designed for to make greater gains. Not bottting botting is the use of 3rd party program.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's nothing wrong, and it's not against the rules. Many games have parts when the player can go afk and just wait for the game to play itself out - like flightpaths in WoW. God only knows why Arenanet designed it so that you can get rewards while afk, but it's their design decision. It's so obvious that they can't have not known about it when they released the game.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Reminds me of old EQ Necros/Magicians...

The devs fixed it then.  GW2 devs might address this, but I'd bet it's not a priority.  I doubt sitting there with your pet is faster than exploring and actively seeking out mobs.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

At this point i have an alt of every class, all of them over 15. What the op is posting smacks of over-embellishment in an attempt to sensationalize something thats really not possible. The pets in this game are weak, no matter the class. This is done for this exact reason. Not once has one of my pets been able to solo effectivley without my direct influence.

Claim it happens all you want, you could have leveled from an event that occured while afk. Pets are not that op in GW2.

And your post smacks of what? Belittlement? Ignorance? Elitism? I would and could argue all three. 

I believe I clearly state this took place in a low level zone, one of which my polar bear, yes, does in fact annhiliate certain enemies, more or less so inside the area of influence in which events take place. In that same zone, I can log into my main, chain drag over 10 mobs and use one very fast AOE to kill them in a second. Given that information it makes sense that a pet can do serious damage depending on the zone and location. This is more again a discussion, in theory it could work in all areas but as some have pointed out it doesnt. XP is still gained ironically when you are downscaled to low level zones.

Secondly, the quest items used for (zapping X mob) are effective weapons outside of the quest but while in the zone. Some have shown the ability to give the upper hand in PvE, especially when mixed with utility skills and a class that normally cant employ such weapons.

None of this is over exagerated much less under exagerated. It is merely objective observations with some questions following. Please keep the belittling comments out of this kind of discussion. If you want to have a discussion about how strong pets are and or can be in the game and in which areas, feel free to pose it that way instead as it does contribute to the overall subject.

Originally posted by mf16

I believe the word you want to use is exploiting in which he is useing an ingame mechanic for something it wasn't designed for to make greater gains. Not bottting botting is the use of 3rd party program.

On the flip side...is it exploiting? Lets say you kill a mob that spawns within a wall and it cant attack you, and you keep using this same spawn point with its stuck mob over and over... clearly mobs are not supposed to exist in walls or blocking volumes so this could be considered an exploit. Duplicating items through a trade glitch, that can be considered exploiting.

Then is using a pet how its been designed truly exploiting? See the difference? Its not so black and white where you can say its 100% exploit...

If it is truly and overlooked mechanic their designers didnt catch onto when making the system, then answers would be to take away xp from pet kills, kick idle players, spawn super hard enemies that will attack if Idle... there are work arounds with out punishing the player but also saying "yeah you know we might not want this after all".

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    GW2 does kick idle players out after 15-30 minutes. I'm not sure how long it is, but I got kicked out due to inactivity once.
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

In AO your MP/crat/engie could get buffed up to cast a high level pet and you commanded it to /pet hunt

It was/is still allowed. Your mp could even put heal pet on the attack pet :)

Definitivly not boting as that require a 3rd party tool or script to control your char.