Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of us can admit we were wrong?

Comments

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by ECGangel
    jesus, the game is practically free to play or you can think of it as a $60+ lifetime sub, whichever.  what other game can offer as much for that deal and look as good.

Pretty much this.

Really, there's not much more to the story than this: GW2 is an amazing achievement, and the best MMO there is.

Take it from someone who has played loads of the most popular ones at a hardcore, dedicated level. Take it from someone who has found fault with every game since and including WoW.

GW2 is frankly, utterly awesome.

Period.

PSedit: the fact that trolls are making new accounts to bash it like the OP has, proves it. Their old game is dying, they are threatened, or they just work for a rival company and it's their job. Honestly, people actually playing GW2 know it's not perfect, but it is by far the best there is, nothing even comes close.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Saryhl

The biggest part of the manifesto to me that they claimed is to make a player feel like the hero, because other MMO's take that away or dont provide it at all. Well they succeeded at making the game decisively single player. Not even really needing to group so you feel epic and powerful all by yourself.

This fails because in MMO's you are NOT supposed to be the hero. You are an adventurer, and you combine forces with OTHER adventurers to tackle huge threats and such. Being by yourself you typically tend to get your butt whooped at anything outside of a one on one fight in other MMO's. That is how it is supposed to be. You are not THE ONE, you are one of a million.

So their manifesto claiming to make you the hero was a bad idea to me personally and most likely plenty of others. However I will grant them that one success in that regard. The rest is just not true, I played through BETA and opted to not buy the game because it did nothing for me personally. Their direction is that of a Co-op spRPG and A living breathing world is just  not there.

So there can't be million of heroes at the same time? bitch please..

If you play the Personal Story, you are solo unless you team up with friends or guildies. You are the hero. If you go out in the open world you may be 20 people taking down a huge badass troll and you all will be heroes. Use your fantasy, get into roleplaying and have the right mindset.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Thillian

DE are a poor rip off of Tabula Rasa Dynamic Battlefields, without the actual consequence (like losing a base along with all NPCs and Vendors), and it's a zergfest.

Suuure... I've played Tabula Rasa as well, and I can tell you thats some ole' bull right there. You never lost a base, all the enemies would just stand around and you'd get a notification about it so you could run in, kill em all, then instant-restore everything. If you didn't, then big whoop nothing really happens after that besides missing that base for the moment.

Same exact things happen in GW2. It happened a few times during the beta weekends (speaking only for the Norn areas, since it was what I was playing mostly). Only reason that people aren't seeing it now is because of massive new-player influx. The events don't scale infinitely, and will cap themselves after a certain number of player participation is reached. It can still happen (and I've heard from a guildy or two while it was), but it's just not as likely at the moment.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

If anything, I've found it more fun and more involved than I expected.

Probably on the "auto-skeptical" side for a lot of the claims made during the beta weekends; I really wasn't expecting the game to deliver even as much as it did.  "Takes care of griefers and the players are getting along? Come on, no freaking way."

Pleasant surprises.  Some of the player-delivered "promises" actually panned out, while others obviously won't/can't.

I know that in the enemy-agressive forum, it's unpopular to be anything but all-fan or all-hate.  But the thing that makes me the most skeptical is attempts to polarize the readers, posts heavy on emotives and absolutes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Saryhl

The biggest part of the manifesto to me that they claimed is to make a player feel like the hero, because other MMO's take that away or dont provide it at all. Well they succeeded at making the game decisively single player. Not even really needing to group so you feel epic and powerful all by yourself.

This fails because in MMO's you are NOT supposed to be the hero. You are an adventurer, and you combine forces with OTHER adventurers to tackle huge threats and such. Being by yourself you typically tend to get your butt whooped at anything outside of a one on one fight in other MMO's. That is how it is supposed to be. You are not THE ONE, you are one of a million.

So their manifesto claiming to make you the hero was a bad idea to me personally and most likely plenty of others. However I will grant them that one success in that regard. The rest is just not true, I played through BETA and opted to not buy the game because it did nothing for me personally. Their direction is that of a Co-op spRPG and A living breathing world is just  not there.

Although it certainly is one (if not the) MMORPG that actually makes you feel you are that adventurer (you describe in your post) joining forces with those million others - I know it isn't a million players but damn it certainly looks like there is a million players in some events alongside you!

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Icewhite

If anything, I've found it more fun and more involved than I expected.

Probably on the "auto-skeptical" side for a lot of the claims made during the beta weekends; I really wasn't expecting the game to deliver even as much as it did.  "Takes care of griefers and the players are getting along? Come on, no freaking way."

Pleasant surprises.  Some of the player-delivered "promises" actually panned out, while others obviously won't/can't.

I know that in the enemy-agressive forum, it's unpopular to be anything but all-fan or all-hate.  But the thing that makes me the most skeptical is attempts to polarize the readers, posts heavy on emotives and absolutes.

+1

Funny thing is, he probably won't understand that and if he does, he won't realize you're talking about HIS post, for one.

I've written the OP off as a 9 post wonder boy who for some reason thinks we should listen to his "professional" opinion about GW2.  I'm playing it.  I don't need some other opinion, particularly not one that seeks to polarize so desperately.  His last line/paragraph is added just to appear to be balanced.  I'm not buyin' it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

I find it funny that some people are trying to attack my credibility instead of analytically thinking about the game.

My apology wasn't made for people who are trying to vehemently defend the game, I already know that there can not be productive conversation with those type of people, because I was once like that, and my reasoning was very skewed.  GW2 was a good wake up call though, it showed me that as a person I can be extremely biased to the point of losing all concept of rationality regarding a subject, I am glad i've broken that cycle, but I am not here to try and break any people from that cycle, I am just here to discuss a game with rational people and to apologize to those that were wrongfully judged based on their opinions of the game. 

A lot of you that said the game wouldn't be god's gift to mmos were right, and I am willing to admit I was incorrect, not only a little, but completely incorrect. 

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Damzilla
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Caetftl...

Everything you say and post is worthless until you provide us with those links as to the forum, threads, and user name that this crusade all supposedly happened under, as requested before.

You have absolutely no credibility.

This. You certainly didn't defend the game on this site, so until you prove your activity on other forums, it's not very thrustworthy.

Notice how he dodges the question, not once but 3 times.

He did choose to make his past actitvity in the forums as  the main argument for his post, yet posts using an alt (if the main really exists, i have my doubts)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I actually haven't seen any long time proponents of GW2 reverse themselves regarding their initial feelings, but hey, it's only been a week since launch.

Took about a month or three before many SWTOR proponents switched sides, probably take at least that long for this title.

If it ever happens of course, GW2 may just be the real deal, at least for them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I think the game is very polished and i feel free to do what  i want, but now i find it harder to log in and i dunno why :(
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by caetftl

I find it funny that some people are trying to attack my credibility instead of analytically thinking about the game.

You have no credibility until you provide those links. We do not know you here, we only have your word as a random new poster that you are not simply a troll telling outright lies in order to sling shit at the wall. I am not saying this is what you are though, to be clear, I am saying you have come here making claims and have obviously refused to back them up.

Provide those links, the ones that you keep refusing to, and I will start taking what you say more seriously.

Originally posted by Acebets70
    I think the game is very polished and i feel free to do what  i want, but now i find it harder to log in and i dunno why :(

It is very pretty on the surface, I just feel like it really lacks any sorta depth.  I do not think it will keep the majority of people playing for a long time. 

You have no credibility until you provide those links. We do not know you here, we only have your word as a random new poster that you are not simply a troll telling outright lies in order to sling shit at the wall. I am not saying this is what you are though, to be clear, I am saying you have come here making claims and have obviously refused to back them up.

Provide those links, the ones that you keep refusing to, and I will start taking what you say more seriously.

I was once like you, refusing to be rational about the game until people jumped through my hoops, but then I realized people don't have to prove anything to me, they are entitled to their opinions, and it is my responsibility to be open-minded and analytical, or to be a fanboi. 

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

I think these games will stop being huge successes one week thena  total failure the next when people stop biting the hype then defending their position like it was a pilitcal forum.

Seem some of the overhype crowd couldnt resist posting on this thread with their usual rhetoric.

Never said the game was bad, only suggesting that this hype has happend before and has NEVER...not even once...turned out to be an accurate view of the game a month or two down the road.  Already seeing it slowly happen with this game.

I think the fanbois do the games a great disservice.  Gets unwitting people all excited that everything is true, then those people get pissed off when it turns out to be nothing more than marketing hype.

IMO this game may have started out slower, mabey TSW style since that game lacked hype and got crapped on by the GW2 fanclub so i see that as a good representation of a game lacking this type of hype....perhaps GW2 would have started out like TSW in numbers but would have continually grow.

Im predicting the same style of growth AoC/WAR/RIFT/AION/SWTOR all had.  Extreme hype leads to drpressed growth later on since those glowing reviews turn to anger when people get sold on...well not really lies but such inflated expectations i guess.

Do your game a FAVOR...be realistic...save the "its a masterpiece" "greatest game ever"  "game of the decade" hype untill its been out a month, a year, ten years....and please.....STOP going into other games forums to trash the game and advertise your hyped game//something this community was terrible with.  It actually makes people who might not be interested hope it does flop which again...does the game a disservice down the road.

Overhypeing a game is just as bad and just as negative for sales as overly trashing a game.

Play it for what it is, understand the honeymoon effect with a new game thats fresh...and start hyping your game AFTER people have fully played it.  Do this and watch the game take off rather than slump.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My apology wasn't made for people who are trying to vehemently defend the game, I already know that there can not be productive conversation with those type of people, because I was once like that, and my reasoning was very skewed.  GW2 was a good wake up call though, it showed me that as a person I can be extremely biased to the point of losing all concept of rationality regarding a subject, I am glad i've broken that cycle, but I am not here to try and break any people from that cycle, I am just here to discuss a game with rational people and to apologize to those that were wrongfully judged based on their opinions of the game. 

A lot of you that said the game wouldn't be god's gift to mmos were right, and I am willing to admit I was incorrect, not only a little, but completely incorrect. 

What a crock.  You only expect people to be rational about YOUR point of view, but the unfortunate circumstance of being a rational person also leads said rational people into looking into the facts about your posting history.  The fact that you can't show us where you were so diligently defending and propping up the game - leading people to accept that you did an about-face - gives us more insight than a hundred of your posts saying "This game isn't that great".  

Personally, you could have just been honest and said you didn't like the game instead of being so obvious about trying to con people.  Probably would have gotten you further; as it is, you fell on your face.

PROTIP: No one likes to be trolled.

Originally posted by Acebets70

It is very pretty on the surface, I just feel like it really lacks any sorta depth.  I do not think it will keep the majority of people playing for a long time. 

Four times.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

You're trying too hard, but okay, whatever floats your boat.  I like the game.  Will I "defend" it....not worth my time.  However, my liking it is really none of your business.  It's not your job to convince others that "omg I made a mistake and thought this game was good and now I don't like it, so you shouldn't either."  WTF?  Why not just let people that are enjoying it enjoy it and keep your negativity and whatever you PERCEIVE as real issues, to yourself?  Oh yeah, because this is a web forum and you're free to dump on everyone, well....guess what?  People are also free to state what they enjoy about the game.  You don't have the corner of the market on gabbing.

I never said the game would be God's gift to the world, for that matter.  But I did think it would be a solid enjoyable game, and FOR ME it's proven to be so thus far.  It's really not your job to change peoples' minds (even though you don't see what you're doing as attempting that, it is).

Oh....and DITTO what Eir said.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I was once like you, refusing to be rational about the game until people jumped through my hoops, but then I realized people don't have to prove anything to me, they are entitled to their opinions, and it is my responsibility to be open-minded and analytical, or to be a fanboi. 

How is asking you for those links to support your claims not being rational?

Put up or shut up.

Originally posted by redman875

I think these games will stop being huge successes one week thena  total failure the next when people stop biting the hype then defending their position like it was a pilitcal forum.

Seem some of the overhype crowd couldnt resist posting on this thread with their usual rhetoric.

Never said the game was bad, only suggesting that this hype has happend before and has NEVER...not even once...turned out to be an accurate view of the game a month or two down the road.  Already seeing it slowly happen with this game.

I think the fanbois do the games a great disservice.  Gets unwitting people all excited that everything is true, then those people get pissed off when it turns out to be nothing more than marketing hype.

IMO this game may have started out slower, mabey TSW style since that game lacked hype and got crapped on by the GW2 fanclub so i see that as a good representation of a game lacking this type of hype....perhaps GW2 would have started out like TSW in numbers but would have continually grow.

Im predicting the same style of growth AoC/WAR/RIFT/AION/SWTOR all had.  Extreme hype leads to drpressed growth later on since those glowing reviews turn to anger when people get sold on...well not really lies but such inflated expectations i guess.

Do your game a FAVOR...be realistic...save the "its a masterpiece" "greatest game ever"  "game of the decade" hype untill its been out a month, a year, ten years....and please.....STOP going into other games forums to trash the game and advertise your hyped game//something this community was terrible with.  It actually makes people who might not be interested hope it does flop which again...does the game a disservice down the road.

Overhypeing a game is just as bad and just as negative for sales as overly trashing a game.

Play it for what it is, understand the honeymoon effect with a new game thats fresh...and start hyping your game AFTER people have fully played it.  Do this and watch the game take off rather than slump.

I was guilty of a lot of what you refer to, and I apologize to people like you.

Five

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

GW2 was a good wake up call though, it showed me that as a person I can be extremely biased to the point of losing all concept of rationality regarding a subject, I am glad i've broken that cycle, but I am not here to try and break any people from that cycle, I am just here to discuss a game with rational people and to apologize to those that were wrongfully judged based on their opinions of the game. 

Gonna respond in reverse here...

I've never claimed the game was going to be god's gift, and I'd tell someone who was saying such he was crazy. HOWEVER, I completely disagree with you, and the others who prefer to just create an account just to attack the game, or mindlessly start spewing out fallacies and trying to claim them as truths.

Also, glad to see you escaped the matrix man. That incredibly obnoxious run-on self-praising sentence must of been your red pill.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

It just saddens me 5 years with EQ  4 with SWG  (mixed in some EVE) and now for years nothing.... I just want a good home :(  

(I wont metion my 4 WOW years, i've blocked it out)

Honestly, neither are that damning in the end.. these are forums with a few hundred regular posters and some lurkers.  We're just bored people arguing, the real success or failure of GW2 or any MMO is almost completely out of our hands.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I was guilty of a lot of what you refer to, and I apologize to people like you.

No reason to apologize for something that there's absolutely no evidence you took part in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

No you are a troll. You are only interested in bashing the game. As evidence I point the the 10 or so posts you have made. You say you were a huge fan, but offer no proof. The reason people question you credibility is because YOU are saying you are credible.

How about this, how many characters do you have?  What's your highest level? What's its name? You have offered nothing to suggest you have ever been a fan or have even played the game.

Why would someone want to have a debate over Lord of the Rings (for example) with someone who has never read the books?

Originally posted by sofakingdumb

Yup this game is garbage.

Huge quest gaps and have to use that stupid search an NPC out, because that is role playing...(yet the class balance of role play is cut out, like healer;;;fail)

So you plug the gap with DE"s that are more rewarding any ways and then you feel the casualness of this game. Fire it up for a few pvp things...if they go down...not at all that ground breaking. For causal game, it is ok, but hardcore players it is meh

which means it is sucessful. It is GW franchise. It is the fail mans MMORPG. For the guy who cant handle real mmorpg material. GW 1 is a perfect example. It took and filtered out all the guys who cant handle EQ and WoW in the day.

Today, i love it cuz it keeps the turds filtered from my mmorpg. and my mmorpg is filled with players and new content each season! Woot! It is good to be gaming now that the communities are a little more refined. All the trrash in GW2 . Please dont every leave all you fanboi turds

Yeah, yours sounds like a community I'd really like to be a part of.

This thread isn't for people who are tossing out personal attacks at me just because I stopped being a fanboi... This is to apologize to the people that I once judged unfairly when they were much more objective than me. 

If you really feel the need to try and assassinate my character just because I no longer blindly love the game as you do... go ahead, but it just makes you look as silly as I once did. 

This discussion has been closed.