Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yup, it's a masterpiece

124

Comments

  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

    I never liked GW.  What I mean is, I appreciated it and thought it was a very good game, but it never appealed to me personally.  I didn't like the lore much and it didn't feel like a virtual world, didn't really feel like an MMO but like an odd hybrid.

    So I've been somewhat detached from the hype for GW2, just looking on.

    But I've got to say: GW2 really is a fucking masterpiece.  The attention to detail is astounding.  The DEs work very well as a sort of half-way house between soloing and grouping.  Even the personal story quests aren't too bad (I expected much, much worse).  In fact the only thing that's bad is some of the dialogue and voice acting.

    But most of all - the gameplay, the fluidity and responsiveness, the intrinsic addictiveness and trance-inducing essential MMO-ey-ness, are just awesome to behold.  Not only that, but it's actually beautiful, visually and aurally.

    The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived.

    Well, of course that's always been a stupid concept really, but if it has any meaning at all (and ignoring the difference between p2p and b2p), the meaning is fulfilled in this game.

    Amusing to see the "locusts" have descended though.  Apparently the game isn't Jesus.  Who would've thought, eh? 

    Very wise move to shut the forums down for launch, methinks.

     Much anticipated by who?

    It's irony.  In my observation of MMO forums over the last half dozen years or so "WoW killer" is a trope that's been floating around a lot, and new MMOs have been unfairly judged as not matching up to the concept.  I think the very idea is silly (nothing could possibly kill WoW at this stage, it will die by its own hand, and from people just finally getting sick of playing it), but my point is that if any game deserved the title so far, it's this game.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,913
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    just did a 4 hour WvWvW marathon.. probably most fun I have ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.. people can say what they want but this game is FUN

    What did you "earn" from it?

    It's a serious question, because I only PVP when there is something on the line. Defense of home territory, taking terriotory from someone else, or increasing the power of my avatar.  The enjoyment comes from succeeding in these areas, not from the actual activity itself.

    No, I don't PVP for fun, I find PVE activies more in keeping with that.

    I still don't think GW2 is the game for  me.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 6,894
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    just did a 4 hour WvWvW marathon.. probably most fun I have ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.. people can say what they want but this game is FUN

    What did you "earn" from it?

    It's a serious question, because I only PVP when there is something on the line. Defense of home territory, taking terriotory from someone else, or increasing the power of my avatar.  The enjoyment comes from succeeding in these areas, not from the actual activity itself.

    No, I don't PVP for fun, I find PVE activies more in keeping with that.

    I still don't think GW2 is the game for  me.

    You get a ton of xp, karma (another currency that is used to buy various different things) and gold. There is also exotic gear (top gear) you can buy with tokens that can be found in loot bags that drop off of your enemies. And achievements. There is also a server wide buff that you get and grows in power the better you do. It works on everyone with the same home server. There is also this thing where your guild can represent taking down a keep by putting up their flag or something. There are buffs that people get based on proximity or something (I'm not too bright on the details there).

     

    So if you want more than those things, then you may not like it. It doesn't have land control, but it does have keep control which adds to that buff and helps your side win. Maybe there is a video you can watch in case you are actually really interested.

     

    I should also mention that queues are very long at the moment on some servers. I've never waited more than 15 minutes, but I think my new server is a lot less active than the most populated ones. I'm sure it will die down at some point, but it is something you should consider when deciding if/when to pick it up.

  • AdoniAdoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I like the game, but I do not think it's a masterpiece. Maybe a materpiece in the works.

    image
  • kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Well said OP, it's true that No other game really offers half of what GW2 does.  Does GW2 have alot of the "unique" features seen in other MMOs? Sure.  Does any other MMO have as many "unique" features all in one place? or do them nearly as well? Not a chance.

    If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

     

    The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived.

     

    If I had a dime...

  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

    I never liked GW.  What I mean is, I appreciated it and thought it was a very good game, but it never appealed to me personally.  I didn't like the lore much and it didn't feel like a virtual world, didn't really feel like an MMO but like an odd hybrid.

    So I've been somewhat detached from the hype for GW2, just looking on.

    But I've got to say: GW2 really is a fucking masterpiece.  The attention to detail is astounding.  The DEs work very well as a sort of half-way house between soloing and grouping.  Even the personal story quests aren't too bad (I expected much, much worse).  In fact the only thing that's bad is some of the dialogue and voice acting.

    But most of all - the gameplay, the fluidity and responsiveness, the intrinsic addictiveness and trance-inducing essential MMO-ey-ness, are just awesome to behold.  Not only that, but it's actually beautiful, visually and aurally.

    The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived.

    Well, of course that's always been a stupid concept really, but if it has any meaning at all (and ignoring the difference between p2p and b2p), the meaning is fulfilled in this game.

    Amusing to see the "locusts" have descended though.  Apparently the game isn't Jesus.  Who would've thought, eh? 

    Very wise move to shut the forums down for launch, methinks.

     

    You are joking right?? Masterpiece come on! AH broke to force people to spend real money on gems

    Forums broke to keep the blind sheep blind

    Mail broke

    Guild features broke

    Stuck in the overflow parking lot and cant group with friends or guild members

    Broke or lack of endgame

    Insane wait times for wvwvw

    Lag

    Repeative heart quest and DE

    Nothing new at all I can keep going if you like Its fine you people enjoy the game its a descent game i agree nothing and I mean not even close to masterpiece.

    I love when people who roll on high-full servers bitch about wait times.

    Use your fucking head.

    Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,913
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    just did a 4 hour WvWvW marathon.. probably most fun I have ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.. people can say what they want but this game is FUN

    What did you "earn" from it?

    It's a serious question, because I only PVP when there is something on the line. Defense of home territory, taking terriotory from someone else, or increasing the power of my avatar.  The enjoyment comes from succeeding in these areas, not from the actual activity itself.

    No, I don't PVP for fun, I find PVE activies more in keeping with that.

    I still don't think GW2 is the game for  me.

    You get a ton of xp, karma (another currency that is used to buy various different things) and gold. There is also exotic gear (top gear) you can buy with tokens that can be found in loot bags that drop off of your enemies. And achievements. There is also a server wide buff that you get and grows in power the better you do. It works on everyone with the same home server. There is also this thing where your guild can represent taking down a keep by putting up their flag or something. There are buffs that people get based on proximity or something (I'm not too bright on the details there).

     

    So if you want more than those things, then you may not like it. It doesn't have land control, but it does have keep control which adds to that buff and helps your side win. Maybe there is a video you can watch in case you are actually really interested.

     

    I should also mention that queues are very long at the moment on some servers. I've never waited more than 15 minutes, but I think my new server is a lot less active than the most populated ones. I'm sure it will die down at some point, but it is something you should consider when deciding if/when to pick it up.

    Actually, those do sound like some pretty decent rewards, thanks for taking the time to list them all out.

    Of all aspects GW2 has the WvW still seems like the best part.  I'm hoping when (and if) I decide to play things will have settled down to a dull roar. (probably around Christmas)

     

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • King_JgKing_Jg Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by gadunk
    My hyper-inflated option is more important than yours because mine matters and I'm right because (insert link here) has stats n stuff and since i have stats to back up my opinion it must be right and your opinion is just stupid because your opinion is based on opinion and it's not mine.

    i laughed cause this is so ture. nerds are so funny on these forums, i come here for entertainment. 

  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by sadeyx
    oh yes but calling a product a 'master peice'  when you've bairly opened the packing let alone consumed a good portion of its content merly gives off the impression that your an easily excitable youth who no doubts says the same thing every new game that comes out.

    I don't need to eat the whole cake to know the cake is a masterpiece.  Just one bite will tell me that.

    Pretty much the most nonsensical, hare-brained analogy I've ever heard.  

  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by koolaid360
    Originally posted by gadunk
    My hyper-inflated option is more important than yours because mine matters and I'm right because (insert link here) has stats n stuff and since i have stats to back up my opinion it must be right and your opinion is just stupid because your opinion is based on opinion and it's not mine.

    i laughed cause this is so ture. nerds are so funny on these forums, i come here for entertainment. 

    You've come to the right place!

  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by sadeyx
    oh yes but calling a product a 'master peice'  when you've bairly opened the packing let alone consumed a good portion of its content merly gives off the impression that your an easily excitable youth who no doubts says the same thing every new game that comes out.

    I don't need to eat the whole cake to know the cake is a masterpiece.  Just one bite will tell me that.

    Pretty much the most nonsensical, hare-brained analogy I've ever heard.  

    No, he's right, the quality of an MMO can be reckoned, more or less, in a few days' play, combined with what people deeper into the game say (as well as the types of people who say it - e.g. negative comments from certain classes of idiot, or vice-versa, may actually be a positive), and the developers' track record (where any).

    Naturally you always have a honeymoon period when it's shiny and new, usually for a month or so, and there are very few MMOs around that can't entertain most people for their first month; but even during that honeymoon phase, when you think objectively you generally know whether a game is going to addict you or not long-term pretty quickly.

     

  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    TSW has better leveling content, SWTOR has better story and VO, Tera has better graphics and combat.

    How is GW2 better than all those MMOs put together?

    i HIGHLY disagree with everything you said there.. but that's the great thing about opinions now isn't it?

    SWTOR's story was MUCH better than what I've seen of GW2.  Not even sure that's up for debate.  I also found TERA's combat to be better.  

  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    TSW has better leveling content, SWTOR has better story and VO, Tera has better graphics and combat.

    How is GW2 better than all those MMOs put together?

    i HIGHLY disagree with everything you said there.. but that's the great thing about opinions now isn't it?

    SWTOR's story was MUCH better than what I've seen of GW2.  Not even sure that's up for debate.  I also found TERA's combat to be better.  

    so I'm sure you followed GW2 story all the way upto 80 then right? it picks up a lot for me post 20.. ymmv

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

     

    The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived.

     

    If I had a dime...

    I know, right?

    But as a sceptic of this trope, this time I think it's true - or at least, much more likely to be closer to the truth than with any other MMO released in the last half a dozen years. 

    It was obvious AoC was never going to be it; it was obvious that Aion, Rift and Tera were never going to be it.  WoW was still too strong then. 

    It was obvious that SWTOR was never going to be it (although it might have been if they'd made the MMO side of it any good).  TSW was never going to be it (although it might have been if it was about 3 times the size and much more polished).

    But WoW is old and weak now, people have been wanting something else to play for ages, but haven't been able to find anything as big and as polished, in the same vein, but different.  Now, here it is.

     

  • kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    TSW has better leveling content, SWTOR has better story and VO, Tera has better graphics and combat.

    How is GW2 better than all those MMOs put together?

    i HIGHLY disagree with everything you said there.. but that's the great thing about opinions now isn't it?

    SWTOR's story was MUCH better than what I've seen of GW2.  Not even sure that's up for debate.  I also found TERA's combat to be better.  

    I'll admit that from level 1-25 the story in GW2 is pretty freakin retarded, however after that I really really got into it.  It's hillarious, it's pulls you in,  There are more cinematics instead of just 2 people with art behind them, [mod edit] But Tera's combat is NOWHERE near as good as GW2's imo. Like literally no part of it is. I don't see how someone can think so unless there doing it wrong in GW2.

    If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, please don't post story spoilers. Thanks.

    To give feedback on moderation, contact mikeb@mmorpg.com

  • ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    I love GW2 :D
     
    I feel sorry for anyone who hates it. I feel sorry for anyone who is attached to older games so much that they are desperate enough to try to get people to not play GW2. GW2 is a MASTERPIECE!
  • ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    I love GW2 :D , I'm glad I they made it as good as it is. I'm going to be enjoying this game for a long time!
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Well, there's currently a thread with 150 posts in it, stating that GW2 gets tedious and boring, with many people in the thread agreeing.  I wouldn't of thought a "masterpiece" would do that..

    you seem to be forgetting what forums you are on.. most people on these forums don't like anything if you haven't noticed.

    You have to be kidding me.

    What do you expect to happen when you and your buddies on here hyped the game to death before release? Some people were going to buy that hype and feel letdown by the finished product. 

    You could always argue you don't care as long as your enjoying yourself but as I've said before you pop in all these sort of threads and now you claim most people just don't, 'like', anything? The same people who when they agreed with you were great people?

    Hillarious really.

     

    This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by gurugeorge
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

     

    The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived.

     

    If I had a dime...

    I know, right?

    But as a sceptic of this trope, this time I think it's true - or at least, much more likely to be closer to the truth than with any other MMO released in the last half a dozen years. 

    It was obvious AoC was never going to be it; it was obvious that Aion, Rift and Tera were never going to be it.  WoW was still too strong then. 

    It was obvious that SWTOR was never going to be it (although it might have been if they'd made the MMO side of it any good).  TSW was never going to be it (although it might have been if it was about 3 times the size and much more polished).

    But WoW is old and weak now, people have been wanting something else to play for ages, but haven't been able to find anything as big and as polished, in the same vein, but different.  Now, here it is.

     

    I'd really like someone to explain to me, considering the pricing/funding model of GW2, how its going to kill WoW.

    If GW2 is going to do this then it would have to outsell through it's cash shop WoW's subs/own cashshop.  Or WoW would have to see a spectacular fall in subs in the next six months/cash shop and GW2 see a gradual increase in their cash shop or announce a new expansion.  Personally I don't see that happening, though if GW2 does well in the cash shop stakes I can see an expansion being announced 6 months+.

    I'd say your definition of, 'people', (i.e. MMO players), is wrong because the vast majority of the playerbase of WoW don't frequent these forums.  On these forums there's many people who hate the WoW/EQ inspired themepark model, GW2 isn't vastly different from that though it has made some good changes to systems and the classes feel unique. It's probably why there have been some disapointment threads but thats probably more due to the overhyping on these forums.

    Here's the thing: Most Blizzard fans are happy with that model to a degree, they just want more of it or their class to be COTM, (Class-of-the-month), with the developers.  Those Blizzard fans outnumber the people on here vastly.  There will be a bleed off, people do run their course with games, and there will be a gradual decline with WoW because of this.  Will some go to GW2 and stay a while? For sure, but GW2 won't kill World of Warcraft because the WoW fans vastly outnumber any other players in this genre.

    This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by oreal52

    "The much-anticipated "WoW Killer" has arrived."

     Ha - Ha - Ha , Don't make me laugh.

     This game is only about to kill itself and it's reputation at front of gamers.

     At the moment the game is a free to play quality nothing else.

     Let's hope it gets  image better.

    I tend to agree.  I see NOTHING in this game that comes anywhere near to hype it has gotten.  Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game but it is not the MMO savior that so many here claim it to be.   If it weren't BtP then forums would be in an uproar with how broken it is and how much of an epic failure it is.  

    image
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    TSW has better leveling content, SWTOR has better story and VO, Tera has better graphics and combat.

    How is GW2 better than all those MMOs put together?

    i HIGHLY disagree with everything you said there.. but that's the great thing about opinions now isn't it?

    SWTOR's story was MUCH better than what I've seen of GW2.  Not even sure that's up for debate.  I also found TERA's combat to be better.  

    Agreed on the SWTOR story but what GW2 does do much better then any other MMO is the feeling of spontenous involvment in something happening in an area.  When that comes together it plays it's trump card well.

    This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

    I'd really like someone to explain to me, considering the pricing/funding model of GW2, how its going to kill WoW.

    Simply, to suck subscribers away from it. 

    As I say, the trope is deeply flawed and a bit silly, but one gets the general idea.  And GW2 is definitely closer to the trope than any MMO since WoW itself.

    And really, there are a lot of people sick of WoW, but just play it either because they have friends playing it, or simply because there's actually no close enough substitute on the market.  People drift away here and there to things that particularly take their fancy - VO here, a bit of PvP there.  But no game has come close to being likely to precipitate a mass exodus of the disgruntled.

    But that the desire is there cannot be doubted, simply because of the fact of massive uptake of most of the main contenders (and steep drop in subs as the games have been discarded).  I mean, the initial uptake on SWTOR was legendary, and had it lived up to the hype it would have done the trick.  But even before that, AoC had huge initial sales. 

    So those bored ex-WoW-ers are definitely out there.

    Now, with GW2 there is a very close substitute: a highly polished, massive MMO, made by some of the people who were actually involved with Blizzard when they made WoW (therefore privy to a lot of the deep design decisions made then, and therefore a knowledge of how to subtly vary them for a new generation of MMOs).

    As to the argument that you can run them concurrently - well that's true, but it simply doesn't make economic sense to continue paying for a sub to a game you're tired of, even though you may have fond memories of it.  It would make more sense to run, say, TSW and GW2 concurrently, because their strengths complement each other (they are different enough to make it worth paying one sub for both, as it were).

  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Well, there's currently a thread with 150 posts in it, stating that GW2 gets tedious and boring, with many people in the thread agreeing.  I wouldn't of thought a "masterpiece" would do that..

    you seem to be forgetting what forums you are on.. most people on these forums don't like anything if you haven't noticed.

    You have to be kidding me.

    What do you expect to happen when you and your buddies on here hyped the game to death before release? Some people were going to buy that hype and feel letdown by the finished product. 

    You could always argue you don't care as long as your enjoying yourself but as I've said before you pop in all these sort of threads and now you claim most people just don't, 'like', anything? The same people who when they agreed with you were great people?

    Hillarious really.

     

    I wouldn't say hyped but perhaps oversold.

    Further, what these people have done in the past year was downright nothing short of cult member behaviour. I saw many topics being critical about the different features in-game and you know what would happen? BOOM, 400+ post thread. Personal attacks, statements of how so-and-so are now on their block list (lol), and the biggest holier-than-thou attitude I have ever seen on forums in a while.

    So yeah, now that they're trying to assuage the deluge of backlash from former cult members is when they're all of a sudden all logical and nice? "most people on these forums don't like anything if you haven't noticed." Pff, give me a break. 

Sign In or Register to comment.