Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short, hate-free summary by a current level 80.

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Vatrox

After 97 hours...

I just want to play what I paid so much for. 

What a collossal waste of money.

SARCASM

My blog: image

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Stryx74

Well, with no monthly sub I'd say you've got your money's worth with 96 hours of play time. How can you complain about a game that gave you 96 hours of entertainment? Sure they're still working out the kinks but i dont think your going to find a better bang for your buck entertainment wise ever again. I think GW2 is a little unique in that you have less ground to stand on when it comes to complaints because they're not charging you anymore. They gave you an awesome gameplay experience, far more then most games, and will continue to free of charge. Sounds harsh but you got your $60 and then some, the rest is gravy, and oh what free delicious gravy it will be. image

This is not to say that noone can complain about problems with the game, it's just that your post had the tone that you've somehow been screwed over by ANet which doesnt seem to be the case.

Not so fast.

The most common "measure of success" from an MMORPG is longevity - how long a player plays it.  In this case, we're talking about the game lasting a player a week.

Games that only last a player a month or two (let alone a week) are routinely criticized for not retaining a player long term.  In fact, lack of long-term retention is usually said to PROVE that an MMO is bad / a failure.

That's regardless of payment model.  It seems that some think GW2 should be measured by it being B2P as if it was a stand-alone RPG, like Oblivion or Dragon Age.  Not so, it's an MMORPG, and MMORPGs, whether they are subscription-based, B2P, or F2P, are graded heavily on longevity.

GW2 needs that retention, as it is heavily reliant on its cash shop.  Unfortunately, this game levels VERY quickly, and so far appears to have little long-term draw to keep many players playing once they've hit level-cap with their main.

The fact that the game has a number of technical problems doesn't help, though they will likely be sorted out relatively soon.

Longevity is subjective and will be different for each user. Some users will reach max level quickly others will take their time and reach max level much later.  Which one sets the "measure of success" ?

Games length is directly related to playstye as opposed to the quality of content.  If someone power levels it comes off as if they arent they interested in content since their focus by design is to reach max level.  Cant fault a developer for that.

Long term retention is not determined by power levelers or people who reach max level in a week.  Even if this is your mode of game playing it is not something common or expected, so how exactly does that prove a MMO failure?

Leveling as in longevity is subjective.  I've been playing since Early Start and Im only level 18.  I dont feel the game levels quickly.  But then again I explore everywhere.  I think GW2 doesnt have a long-term draw to those who simply dont like the game (based on not liking the structure or by virtue of 'blowing' through the content).  But at the same time I would expect those very same players to leave and play something else.  GW2 is not meant for everybody.

No one is giving ANet time to fix the problems but instead whine to fix them instantly.  Thats not going to happen.  So you can either live with whatever you is not working or do something else.  No one is forcing you to play or suppor the game.

But dont confuse your view or opinion with fact around the health or longevity of the game.  Because in reality we dont know until we give it time.  Then we will find out who is right or not.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by kol56
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by elocke
    I thought you said this was a "hate-fee" summary?  Sure sounded like bitching to me.  Funny, I'm level 67 and haven't had these issues you are whining about except the obvious one of the Trading Post being down.  I never crash, I never find content I can't complete, I'm always able to PVP, make characters and so forth.  Maybe...you entered the twilight zone or something when you hit 80.  Take a break, come back later, or just go play something else and leave those of us who don't mind these roadbumps in peace.  Isn't like it's the first great MMO to have issues at it's birth.

Gotta love the honeymoon phase.

I mean you can call me blinded by fanboism as well just because the only problem I've had was the TO being down, nothing else..but thats a fact, and judging by your post history kol56 you seem to spend your free time hating on a video game( Hmm I wonder which one), most likely nothing better to do. Anyway OP not sure why you can't do any content like everyone else, its really unfortunate that your in this situation ( that is if your telling the truth). 

You seem a bit upset.

Calm down and go find something better to do than attacking random posters.

If it didn't happened to you... it doesn't matter, the issues are real.

If you actually readed what i quoted, elocky was basically saying "shut up, stop crying, play the game and don't say anything bad about it", even when he admits a few "roadbumps", TLDR, "don't say bad things about my shiny precious" = Honeymoon in full force.

At least im not checking the post history of other users, unlike you, i could care less, and by the looks of it, im not the one who doesn't have anything to do.

I didn't get that at all from elocke's response. He acknowledged the "roadbumps" in the game. The OP did say "hate free", but then proceeds to pick everything that was going wrong in the game, as if they won't be fix sooner or later. It's not neccessarily hating, but his formatting different from what I had expected from a "hate free" summary. What's the point of even "bitching", right? Why not just play the game, and when you find that everything you want to do in the game is currently unavailable, just put the game down. There is absolutely no "honeymoon phase" kind of thinking here. It's more about being optimistic.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    I thought you said this was a "hate-fee" summary?  Sure sounded like bitching to me.  Funny, I'm level 67 and haven't had these issues you are whining about except the obvious one of the Trading Post being down.  I never crash, I never find content I can't complete, I'm always able to PVP, make characters and so forth.  Maybe...you entered the twilight zone or something when you hit 80.  Take a break, come back later, or just go play something else and leave those of us who don't mind these roadbumps in peace.  Isn't like it's the first great MMO to have issues at it's birth.

I mean you can call me blinded by fanboism as well just because the only problem I've had was the TO being down, nothing else..but thats a fact, and judging by your post history kol56 you seem to spend your free time hating on a video game( Hmm I wonder which one), most likely nothing better to do. Anyway OP not sure why you can't do any content like everyone else, its really unfortunate that your in this situation ( that is if your telling the truth). 

You seem a bit upset.

If you actually readed what i quoted, elocky was basically saying "shut up, stop crying, play the game and don't say anything bad about it", even when he admits a few "roadbumps", TLDR, "don't say bad things about my shiny precious" = Honeymoon in full force.

At least im not checking the post history of other users, unlike you, i could care less, and by the looks of it, im not the one who doesn't have anything to do.

I didn't get that at all from elocke's response. He acknowledged the "roadbumps" in the game. The OP did say "hate free", but then proceeds to pick everything that was going wrong in the game, as if they won't be fix sooner or later. It's not neccessarily hating, but his formatting different from what I had expected from a "hate free" summary. What's the point of even "bitching", right? Why not just play the game, and when you find that everything you want to do in the game is currently unavailable, just put the game down. There is absolutely no "honeymoon phase" kind of thinking here. It's more about being optimistic.

yep agree, who needs posts like this when we have vitriol from the "AVENGERS OF SWTORS HONOR" coming like roaches out of the woodwork every second. (which we also predicted would happen). Just play be patient and don't rush to 80 everyone warned you against doing that.

Oh BTW the vendors ONLY are there in the temples when you CAPTURE a temple and then only for a few minutes. Thought you should know since people obviously have stopped watching videos on certain aspects of the game.

That's most likely why you haven't found one, because there's not enough 80's to actually KILL the mobs coming to take the temples away from you? and you can't even get to those until you've done the initial Orr DE's to enter the area. Mobs everywhere.

Being well informed is a nice thing.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by aznxdreadful

Dang things just turn to shit when you touch it doesnt it?

on another note, that really does suck and after reading that from you made me think if the game was TRULY ready for the entire audiance. Makes you think if they released the game earlier just to make the 500k+ that pre purchase happy, and keep them from getting refunds and shit because of delays to fixing the game

So my question to EVERYONE Is,

WOuld u rather have all things working and have GW2 Delayed for another month or 2 to fix the issues?

Or are you greatful that you are able to play the game and actually be able to hit level 80 with a few hours of downtime.

No wipes shall i add?

I would have rather waited for the release of the game, if it meant the utilities for mail and economy had been reliable.

As a crafter I have found it very annoying that the economy has been effectively disabled by the on and off again mail and auctioneer. - As a power player, I found it annoying that I couldnt make as much currency off of the materials I harvested before the masses arrived to participate - one of the benefits of levelling ahead of the curve. Something that certainly would have been afforded me and others if the entire sphere wasnt broken.

So yes I would have rather waited.

The exploits on karma vendors, the villifying of people purchasing their personal story guilds armors, - threatening bans if they didnt delete, somtimes skinned on exotic crafted items - something that takes real life money to do with fine transmutation stones - well thats way beyond enough reason to make me wish they had waited with release.

Note:Im not talking about the karma vendors

The fact that the cooking exploit got adressed by barring any sell back of made goods to the npc vendor whatsoever, for everyone in the trade, instead of lowering the prices across the board. With wonky auctioneer and mail, and no way to sell the item to even an npc, its a broken tradeskill for those who didnt ride the wave of the exploit. 

As far as smooth launches. No this wasnt a smooth launch, but the game in its own right is excellent. However a whole sphere is still broken (economics) and that is not good enough to label it a smooth launch.

(Other issues, are the email confirmation systems they put live, that have malfunctioned and barred thousands of players from playing the game, as well as their inability to get the forum up and running, keeping players who dont use twitter or facebook somewhat in the dark about whatever is going on)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Answers to most of the issues...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Yes the game have problems. But I'm glad they didn't wait to launch so we are able to play already.

To be honest these bugs are not annoying me much. The thing I am really concerned is the hacking problem. That is a big problem  they need to take care asap. If they just implemented some security questions I think would already help big time, and it would be one simple thing to do.

So far I am enjoying the game a lot!

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

*Snip*

Anyone who claims this game is overly buggy as not played an MMO at launch.....EVER.

I've had a few better, but many, many worse. 

Vent to your hearts content.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by itgrowls

You seem a bit upset.

yep agree, who needs posts like this when we have vitriol from the "AVENGERS OF SWTORS HONOR" coming like roaches out of the woodwork every second. (which we also predicted would happen). Just play be patient and don't rush to 80 everyone warned you against doing that.

Oh BTW the vendors ONLY are there in the temples when you CAPTURE a temple and then only for a few minutes. Thought you should know since people obviously have stopped watching videos on certain aspects of the game.

That's most likely why you haven't found one, because there's not enough 80's to actually KILL the mobs coming to take the temples away from you? and you can't even get to those until you've done the initial Orr DE's to enter the area. Mobs everywhere.

I wonder why you would predict "avengers of SWTORs honor" attacking these forums. I guess it could be because those forums were attacked on a regular basis by GW2 fanboys......

The fact is a lot of things it was criticised for are showing up in this game.

The thing is that even when SWTOR at it's start had so many players, i do not remember any gold sellers,account hacks or anything like that.

I like both games and i have played  GW2 alone since it's commencement but i like SWTOR too.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Finally a reason for all those end game haters to vent their hearts away. "Oh look, this games end game is broken. Swtor all over again. Alert the presses."

But wait... I don't have to pay anymore for this game... Nor did I rush to get to 80 to do end game... nor did I expect everything to be fully functional in a new mmo, yes new, not an expansion... Oh woe is me. I am able to get to max level professions without auction house. Is it a pain? sure, but it's still reasonable. Maybe I don't have as much money as I'd like, but can I pay for repairs and books for traits without any problems... yes, so what do I need money for anyway?

Am I annoyed that this game has bugs that make it about 90-95% complete? maybe a little, but hey, at least they got it that far and the rest of the 90-95% of the game is enjoyable.

This game hasn't been out for even a month and people are already acting like a few problems means the end of the world as we know it. I've had access to the AH quite a few times so they are at least putting an effort into fixing it. I have gotten past "battle of fort trinity" so either they fixed it already or I am just that amazing. Haven't gotten to Orr yet since I'm not 80, but if I can't do Orr, then I'll do instances since they drop gear for me. Do I need to wait? No, bec storymode/explorable mode is probly not hard enough that I can't get past it in the gear I'll end up with, so I can just get items from that or I can make it myself since I'm not lazy and leveled my professions and put the work into doing so. *gasp* I know, shocker, someone can level their professions without the auction house. I have never needed the AH for almost any game to level professions, why is this game any different? Maybe if you people stopped acting like 5 year olds and don't expect everything handed to you being 100% perfect and you instead enjoyed what they gave you, you'd appreciate this game.

TL;DR Stop acting like GW2 was the first or will be the last unfinished MMO on release. This isn't a console game, they can fix bugs that arise after giving you the product and they have been actually trying to do it. Let's show some patience.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    While the mail is bugged it is still working. The problem is that when you click someones name and use "mail to" it will put your accountname instead of the character name in the adress field. Write in the character name for hand and it still works.
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Loke666
    While the mail is bugged it is still working. The problem is that when you click someones name and use "mail to" it will put your accountname instead of the character name in the adress field. Write in the character name for hand and it still works.

Still works if you send it to the account name. Doesn't really make much of a difference. Just sometimes it's been down for certain periods of time. Doesn't have to do with the person you send it to.

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

The queues need to be addressed in WvWvW  (evenings).  Joining AC instance is hit or miss due to volume i think because the other dungeons are fine...  other than that...

Enjoying the heck out of nearly every facet of this game though.  Ive not experienced the lag, bugs, or obviously bans referred to on this thread.  

• fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

Question for the OP.

Do you Sparkle?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Loke666

Still works if you send it to the account name. Doesn't really make much of a difference. Just sometimes it's been down for certain periods of time. Doesn't have to do with the person you send it to.

No it doesnt. It wont know which character to send to.

The mail was indeed completely down a day last week but this weekend it worked if you wrote in character name by hand.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Rohn

Well, with no monthly sub I'd say you've got your money's worth with 96 hours of play time. How can you complain about a game that gave you 96 hours of entertainment? Sure they're still working out the kinks but i dont think your going to find a better bang for your buck entertainment wise ever again. I think GW2 is a little unique in that you have less ground to stand on when it comes to complaints because they're not charging you anymore. They gave you an awesome gameplay experience, far more then most games, and will continue to free of charge. Sounds harsh but you got your $60 and then some, the rest is gravy, and oh what free delicious gravy it will be. image

This is not to say that noone can complain about problems with the game, it's just that your post had the tone that you've somehow been screwed over by ANet which doesnt seem to be the case.

Not so fast.

The most common "measure of success" from an MMORPG is longevity - how long a player plays it.

Games that only last a player a month or two are routinely criticized for not retaining a player long term.  In fact, lack of long-term retention is usually said to PROVE that an MMO is bad / a failure.

That's regardless of payment model.  It seems that some think GW2 should be measured by it being B2P as if it was a stand-alone RPG, like Oblivion or Dragon Age.  Not so, it's an MMORPG, and MMORPGs, whether they are subscription-based, B2P, or F2P, are graded heavily on longevity.

GW2 needs that retention, as it is heavily reliant on its cash shop.

This isnt a discussion on GW2's financial success or their ability to retain a player base. The question is at what point in a B2P game does the player get their money's worth? I put 90 hours into Skyrim and was completely satisfied. I bought Just Cause 2 on sale for $40, played it for 15 hours, didnt come close to finishing it, but still feel like I got what I paid for, and I could always go back and finish it if I wanted to. Personally, If I make it to lvl 80 through one of the storylines I'll feel that my money was very well spent.

Again, success in the MMO world largely hinges on player retention, as we have seen a huge percentage of the MMORPG community opine time and again with regard to game "failures".

This is not a single player, standalone RPG.

If a player gets one second of enjoyment out of a F2P MMO, then they've already gotten more than their money's worth.  That, however, has not stopped players from complaining endlessly about poor customer service, or a lack of content that causes them to stop playing after a month or two, even though they aren't paying a dime for it.  The expectation for an MMO is that it should be long-term entertainment - an adventure in a virtual world that should last a player months or years.

The money isn't in box sales, it's in the cash shop.  GW2 has a cash shop that is on par with just about every F2P game out there.  For the money to roll in, ANet needs people to keep playing, and thus, to keep buying.

I don't disagree with you, in that someone who pays for the game, and plays enough to feel they've gotten their money's worth, can determine it was a "success" to them.  Unfortunately, I've seen that rationale before, from fans of every game labelled a "failure" before.  The MMORPG community as a whole usually terms a game that doesn't retain players long-term as a failure, regardless of the payment model.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by Purgatus

*Snip*

Anyone who claims this game is overly buggy as not played an MMO at launch.....EVER.

I've had a few better, but many, many worse. 

Vent to your hearts content.

I have played every major AA title since 1999 and EQ1 from launch. And GW2 is just as buggy as the rest. But it is one of the only ones who has had a whole sphere of the game > the mail/auctioneer disabled for this long. I cant think of one that has had this issue be so persistent, but I recognise that several overhauls were done in the first month of vanilla wow with regards to the auction houses, and also that the cooking exploit in gw2 had been seen before in many titles, starting with arrows in Greater faydark in Everquest 1.

I have had only one be worse than GW2, and that was swtor.

Several dupe exploits have occured over the years, but I never saw any company handle it reddit style before. I ascribe that to the times, even if it does make the Anet people look and sound like idiots.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Thebigbopper
    Originally posted by itgrowls

You seem a bit upset.

I wonder why you would predict "avengers of SWTORs honor" attacking these forums. I guess it could be because those forums were attacked on a regular basis by GW2 fanboys......

The fact is a lot of things it was criticised for are showing up in this game.

The thing is that even when SWTOR at it's start had so many players, i do not remember any gold sellers,account hacks or anything like that.

I like both games and i have played  GW2 alone since it's commencement but i like SWTOR too.

That's it, can't stand it any more. Would every American on this site who thinks the expression "could care less" actually makes sense - listen up. The bloody expression is "couldn't care less", for God's sake, it doesn't even make sense your way and every bloody one of you uses it wrongly. If your going to post so the whole world can read it, learn the language first for fuck's sake...

/rantoff

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Hit the level cap, so obviously I wanted to try dungeons - however, getting some proper max level gear first seemed like a good idea.

Craft? Make your own gear, since all lvl 80 gear is (theoretically) equivalent? Not to mention crafting can be extremely rewarding.

At lvl 80 you probably have 60-90G saved up(based on what the 80s in my guild have... ymmv). Advertise in chat. I've seen people selling lvl 72 yellows on my server for 20s-1g. That is close enough to 80 to get you through the dungeons... and you can get gear from the dungeons...

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    You can do the explorables with level 80 rare gear.
  • Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Oh yeah, also:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_forge

Armor boxes and armor satchels

Recipes can be created using the Mystic Forge. They will allow you to craft armor boxes and armor satchels, which will in turn give you every piece of an armor set.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    One recurring reply I've seen throughout this thread brings forth one question from me. Considering within 30 days of launch everyone basically knows what kind of end-game is in place for those who play after hitting max. Why would you have to pay for any game ( monthly fee) that didn't offer much at release in terms of end-game? I can't think of any MMO that's released in the last 7 years or so that would take a casual longer than 30 days to hit that point in a game. Certainly not TSW, SWTOR, AOC, WAR, COH/V, etc.. The only exception I can think of would be VG:SOH.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I just want to play what I paid so much for. Before everything hits the fan again and there's another login server crash and emergency maintenance. Or more mail verification issues.

Cheers.

97 hours of gameplay for $59.00, or even CE, is a very good deal.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

OP sounds like a friend of mine. He overplays and speedruns and then complains about every step along the way.  When he finally gets to the "end" (in this case, 80), he complains that it has no endgame value and everything happened too quickly.

This friend is being a whiny bitch about GW2 right this second actually, but he does have his moments.