Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best survivability 1v1 in WvW?

OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hi all,

I'm not the youngest, fastest MMORPG'er with a kid's reflexes, but I hate getting jumped 1v1 in WvW and always, always dying.  I don't want a FOTM profession, nor an OP one, I just would like to hear your suggestions on professions/weapons combos that I might adopt to stay alive 1v1 while I make my way to my army's castle in WvW.  I'd roll thief if the stealth was actually stealth, but IIRC it lasts only a second or two.

Thanks!

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Hi all,

I'm not the youngest, fastest MMORPG'er with a kid's reflexes, but I hate getting jumped 1v1 in WvW and always, always dying.  I don't want a FOTM profession, nor an OP one, I just would like to hear your suggestions on professions/weapons combos that I might adopt to stay alive 1v1 while I make my way to my army's castle in WvW.  I'd roll thief if the stealth was actually stealth, but IIRC it lasts only a second or two.

Thanks!

Any profession with pets, notably guardian and spirit weapons. The ai will see the enemy before you do, and fight as you can fight or run away.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Every class is strong 1vs1. Pick whichever one you like the most, then master it. Your success in 1vs1s depends on how adept you are at playing a class, not which class you are playing.

I know it sounds like a canned response, but that has been my experience so far with every class I've played. I only lose when I get out-played.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Every class is strong 1vs1. Pick whichever one you like the most, then master it. Your success in 1vs1s depends on how adept you are at playing a class, not which class you are playing.

I know it sounds like a canned response, but that has been my experience so far with every class I've played. I only lose when I get out-played.

Thanks for your reply.  That's kind of my point, I'm not going to pretend to be adept at any one prof, since I don't have the skills that accompany youthful reactions.  

I just want to survive 1v1, knowing that my opponent will be more adept that I.

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60

I'd go with guardian, low skill ceiling, lots of CC, power based, and very competitive in 1v1's.

I like greatsword and scepter/shield personally

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hi all,

Thanks!

There's a few choices, tbh.

I'd say (primarily):

Guardian

Necro

Ranger

In that order.

Guardians are insanely tough to kill when played right, and a good one can drag a fight out for minutes at a time (which is a really long time in 1v1).

Necros require a little more micro, as they tend to be a bit more squishy on the surface, but once played right they are also insanely tough to kill. Like the guardian they can drag out fights for pretty long amounts of time, and they are most highly effective when keeping conditions on enemies, while constantly leeching health from them (and toggling in & out of deathshroud). Pets (minions) can help w/ this, but they aren't necessary, and aren't even the best build for survivability. They can provide a tough challenge from the unskilled player, though.

Rangers are just pretty balanced 1v1. They have a lot of good utility / mobility, and also have a pet to intercept for you. It's not that hard to keep your distance (if you are ranged), and it's equally easy to catch up to a fleeing target, or to prevent them from getting away.

A slight caviat, though. WvW is almost never 1v1. Be prepared to deal w/ multiple opponents most of the time. WvW often becomes a case of either dominating a large group of enemies, or staying alive long enough for your friends to come help even the fight.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Your best bet is a ranger or engineer. Ranger with pets, cc and speed boosts... engineer with abilities that let you vault away and or blow an opponent back, elixers allow swiftness. Both if played right can let you kite and or just avoid a fight.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Hi all,

Thanks!

Well, pick any profession. Then pick a weapon that has CC abilities and or defensive and or escape abilities. Pick utility abilities on second bar that CC enemy player and then some that breaks CC on you, and possibly haste or other escape abilities. Stack vitality and toughness. Join W v W match and use the CC abilities on enemy, stun breaker on self if CC'd, and haste/protection/extra heals on self if getting too much punishment. Enjoy getting to your castle alive as any profession.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

OP mentioned thief. I play thief. I love stealth classes and was scared of being gimped whilst playing a thief that only has 3-10 second stealth skills.

After playing the thief. I don't miss permanent stealth. Thief is godly in WvW. There's a zerg coming your way? Have the permanent 25% speed boost buff on and use infiltrator's arrow to leave them for dust.No one can catch you as thief.

If you manage to slip up and they do. There's always the stealth skills and traps to fall back on to get away. That's my roamer build.

Though if you're looking to mess people up 1v1. There's always the bursty damage build. Though you'll have less 'oh crap' buttons in getting away.

If you don't like dying or like picking people off 1v1. Thief is for you if you play it right.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Thanks for your reply.  That's kind of my point, I'm not going to pretend to be adept at any one prof, since I don't have the skills that accompany youthful reactions.  

I just want to survive 1v1, knowing that my opponent will be more adept that I.

Playing and getting to know a class in and out will have more impact on your performance than your reflexes. I wouldn't consider myself to be the twitchiest of players, and I'm actually very mediocre at FPS games because of that. MMOs are different story though. I've found that once I practice enough with a class, executing and timing abilities becomes almost uncounscious. IMO having a good strategy is more important than having fast reflexes in MMOs, and the only way you come up with good strategies is by playing a class until you master it.

This is why I think you should pick a class that you like, so that it is easier for you to stick with it for as long as it takes you to become good with it. If you keep switching around, it will be much harder to get familiar with a class and develop solid strategies with it.

With that said, I personally love the engineer due to its flexibility, with the guardian as close second. Mesmer and ranger are good too, but the latter bored me to tears so I can't see myself playing a ranger for long. That's why it's important to pick a class that you genuinely enjoy. ANET did a good job making them all viable.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I play a D/D - Bow Thief and i really don't have any trouble in 1vs1. Don't think Thiefs are either nerfed or buffed, but they have to be played right if you wanna survive. You can flee from fights with you stealth abilities and go in distance and then hit your foe with the bow, for poison dots etc. 
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

That's every class based game that exists today.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    As stated a couple of times already. 1v1 can be done in Wv3. Only problem is that the chance you get into a 1v1 there is extremely small though...
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I've only played two classes so far. Elementlest and Necro, Both are very powerful.  Necro is my main.

What I did with my necro :

At around level 19 I went to an un populated spot to fight humenoids in PvE.  I spent at least one hour changing out weapons and every abality I had.  I found that some abalities are almost worthless and some are very strong.  I could apply what I figured out for PvP......So I'm ready. In fact by doing this, I have more questions I have to find out for my self and will have to do it some more.

One thing I learned is that going into Death Shroud for a time gives my cool downs time to recover, come back to regular necro will give me time to build up for another Death Shroud again.  Same with my healing abality.  If I use it early, I'll have time to use it again.....I could fight for a long time if I play my class right.

I'm not the quick, but I think I have my shit togeather.........I think the major problem is that people will not set aside time to really learn there class.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by delete5230

One thing I learned is that going into Death Shroud for a time gives my cool downs time to recover, come back to regular necro will give me time to build up for another Death Shroud again.  Same with my healing abality.  If I use it early, I'll have time to use it again.....I could fight for a long time if I play my class right.

I'm not the quick, but I think I have my shit togeather.........I think the major problem is that people will not set aside time to really learn there class.

I'm using staff (2handed) and scepter+dagger as weapon sets. One for generic AoC, the other more for 1v1. In larger combats I tend to switch weapons half way for more skills, and like you I hop to shroud as well to give my skills time to get their CD (mostly when both pets are gone - lvl 30 now BTW)

About gear... Team up in Wv3 and you'll get a lot more green drops in Wv3 than in PvE. Heck, today a guildy even had a yellow one dropped in Wv3. Because of Wv3 I am by now mostly in green stuff of around my level equipped.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Seriously in WvWvW the best way to survive is to either get into a good guild who participates alot or to follow the zerg. Numbers will win most of the time and it gives you are very nice meat shield so that you don't have to do the dreaded run that seems to take hours to back into the frey after you die. Any class is fine just don't spec 100% damage, always put in some toughness and/or vitality.
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

I appreciate all the helpful replies, thanks!
  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    A well played Mesmer will trump all, I've even taken on 5 at once in WvW due to the confusion of clones and phantasms all about.  And yes I won(although I was 60, and they were probably all low level).  But 1v1, I haven't lost a fight, not even close.
    Originally posted by mad-hatter
    A well played Mesmer will trump all, I've even taken on 5 at once in WvW due to the confusion of clones and phantasms all about.  And yes I won(although I was 60, and they were probably all low level).  But 1v1, I haven't lost a fight, not even close.

I see the Mesmer's Greatsword is 1200 range.  Hmm, inreresting, might try that, thanks!

Any late thoughts before I let this thread die?  I enjoy my Engineer in WvW, but I do horribly when I get jumped 1v1.  I don't want to will ALL the time, just 50% lol.