Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop saying "hardcore"...

2»

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

This is my rig for playing ChefVille on Facebook.  You should see my setup for playing Hello Kitty...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Wait, so that movie I watched last night wasnt Harcore because there wasnt a triple amputee in it? im not into stuff like that dude...

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Sorry, double post...

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

... to describe a goddam computer game.  It's derisory. It's JUVENILE. THIS is hardcore:-

"Covered in mud, five hours after starting, triple amputee Corporal Todd Love charges to the finish line after competing over ten miles of rugged terrain across 75 obstacles in an event called The Beast.

Having lost both his legs and an arm in Afghanistan in 2010, this weekend Love took to Leesburg, Virginia, in an extreme endurance test called The Spartan Race with his eight-man other comrades of Team X.T.R.E.M.E.

Made up of wounded servicemen and women, the team helped Love scale eight-foot high walls, speed along high-wires, crawl through mud and bound across the ground as they honoured their ongoing mission to raise awareness of the nation's wounded heroes.

Purposefully wearing a gasmask and visor to restrict his breathing by up to 30-percent - thereby making it more difficult to complete the event - Love who now weighs only 100-pounds after stepping on a landmine - struggled against huge odds to compete the event."

The article I read also mentioned that Cpl. Love has participated in skydiving and surfing in Hawaii and even wrestled a 400-pound alligator in Florida.  Goddam!! An alligator!  With three limbs missing, this guy wears a mask to restrict his breathing to make the event more difficult.  THAT my friends, is an example of actual hardcore, not someone slumped at a keyboard playing a computer game.

I know this post will get deleted, since it's not really game-related, but although I'm an Englishman my admiration for this American man knows no bounds.

He was being carried all the way. Hows that hardcore?

The Corporal was NOT carried all the way.  And even if he was, he's still a tougher man than I for even being out there.  It's been over twenty years since my non-amputaed ass ran a lizard-man 5,000.  Heck, just wearing a pro-mask while sitting in front of the computer would probably smoke my geek ass. I thinks it's great to be reminded of something truly hardcore.  I am kinda miffed by all the negative reactions to it.  

Sure, hardcore has different contexts.  But that doesn't mean we can't look up from our computer screens and contemplate its true meaning every now and then.  My hat's off to that working mom as well.  Ranger School's got nothin' on Parenthood.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

... to describe a goddam computer game.  It's derisory. It's JUVENILE. THIS is hardcore:-"Covered in mud, five hours after starting, triple amputee Corporal Todd Love charges to the finish line after competing over ten miles of rugged terrain across 75 obstacles in an event called The Beast.Having lost both his legs and an arm in Afghanistan in 2010, this weekend Love took to Leesburg, Virginia, in an extreme endurance test called The Spartan Race with his eight-man other comrades of Team X.T.R.E.M.E.Made up of wounded servicemen and women, the team helped Love scale eight-foot high walls, speed along high-wires, crawl through mud and bound across the ground as they honoured their ongoing mission to raise awareness of the nation's wounded heroes.Purposefully wearing a gasmask and visor to restrict his breathing by up to 30-percent - thereby making it more difficult to complete the event - Love who now weighs only 100-pounds after stepping on a landmine - struggled against huge odds to compete the event."The article I read also mentioned that Cpl. Love has participated in skydiving and surfing in Hawaii and even wrestled a 400-pound alligator in Florida.  Goddam!! An alligator!  With three limbs missing, this guy wears a mask to restrict his breathing to make the event more difficult.  THAT my friends, is an example of actual hardcore, not someone slumped at a keyboard playing a computer game.I know this post will get deleted, since it's not really game-related, but although I'm an Englishman my admiration for this American man knows no bounds.

I have seen this man and his team, and while I have a great respect for what he has done and continues to do, I fail to see how his accomplishments relate to the gaming industry. Again, I have a great amount of respect for him (although I saw the episode of Gator Boys, and "wrestling" the alligator is a little bit of an embellishment on what happened), but I also have a great amount of respect for the Korean gamers that seem to blink their way through the Starcraft tournaments. Those guys are pretty hardcore as well, just in a completely different field.

But props to you my friend for wanting to recognize the good Cpl. and his accomplishments, and I do agree, he is pretty hardcore.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

This is my rig for playing ChefVille on Facebook.  You should see my setup for playing Hello Kitty...

I wish my desk was that neat and organized.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by dave6660

I wish my desk was that neat and organized.

Lol, there are things on my real desk - that I have no idea where they came from...and there's things I could swear I put on my desk that are no longer there.  I believe it's a hardcore portal into another dimension...not like the softcore dryer that's always making sacrifices of my socks for some otherworldly god.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Chiram

... to describe a goddam computer game.  It's derisory. It's JUVENILE. THIS is hardcore:-

"Covered in mud, five hours after starting, triple amputee Corporal Todd Love charges to the finish line after competing over ten miles of rugged terrain across 75 obstacles in an event called The Beast.

Having lost both his legs and an arm in Afghanistan in 2010, this weekend Love took to Leesburg, Virginia, in an extreme endurance test called The Spartan Race with his eight-man other comrades of Team X.T.R.E.M.E.

Made up of wounded servicemen and women, the team helped Love scale eight-foot high walls, speed along high-wires, crawl through mud and bound across the ground as they honoured their ongoing mission to raise awareness of the nation's wounded heroes.

Purposefully wearing a gasmask and visor to restrict his breathing by up to 30-percent - thereby making it more difficult to complete the event - Love who now weighs only 100-pounds after stepping on a landmine - struggled against huge odds to compete the event."

The article I read also mentioned that Cpl. Love has participated in skydiving and surfing in Hawaii and even wrestled a 400-pound alligator in Florida.  Goddam!! An alligator!  With three limbs missing, this guy wears a mask to restrict his breathing to make the event more difficult.  THAT my friends, is an example of actual hardcore, not someone slumped at a keyboard playing a computer game.

I know this post will get deleted, since it's not really game-related, but although I'm an Englishman my admiration for this American man knows no bounds.

The real question is, what's his gearscore?. All joking aside lol, I would say, THIS is hardcore!. But as another poster said there are different levels of extreme/hardcore for each hobby/activity in life.

For example, I know this woman who has two kids, works a full time manager position and puts in 60 hours a week. She leads TWO raid guilds in TWO different MMOs and has a top geared character in each. THAT is hardcore.

However, most of these wow kiddie tools who call themselves hardcore are the ones who sit at home with no life, no employment, no obligations other than sitting on the computer 24/7 calling themselves hardcore as their mother shoves pizza pockets down their throats.

I'd choose the family man who busts his ass for what he has over some unemployed dweeb as more hardcore :).

I pity those kids.  Bravo for her for working to keep a roof over their heads and putting food on the table etc, but when does she have quality time with them?  She needs to get her priorities right imo.