Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: a good sandbox game

1235»

Comments

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

WOW is a hybrid, im level 30 and i have like 6 different zones to explore, quests, grind mobs and PVP, it's an open world with tons of stuff to do!

AoC is a hybrid, i can choose to play on PVE or PVP servers

SWTOR, on the other hand, is a 100% sandbox MMO, i can chose my race, hairstyle, eyes colour, class.

I can also choose what to say to the NPCs.

See how calling a game hybrid or a sandbox just because it's "open" when every themepark is open, or having "choices" when every themepark has choices, makes you look foolish?

GW2 has the same degree of fredoom that WOW has, in WOW i can explore, just like in GW2, and i don't have to follow a lineal questing, there are always NPCs with quests all over the area.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by kol56

GW2 is a lineal, casual and shallow themepark

It's just as themepark as SWTOR

You go from zone A to zone B

I can explore in WOW, in can do quests in different orders in SWTOR, GW2 is just a casual themepark.

Players can't interact with the word in any way, and no, sorry, finishing a scripted and linear event that will recycle in 10 minutes doesn't count.

Calling this game a sandbox just shows you how much blind and delusional some fans of the game are.

Don't hate the word, don't fear the word

THEMEPARK

The people who actually believe that GW2 is somewhere "in the middle" are even worse, because it sounds like they are serious, lol.

That made me lmao.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I can explore in WOW, in can do quests in different orders in SWTOR, GW2 is just a casual themepark.

Players can't interact with the word in any way, and no, sorry, finishing a scripted and linear event that will recycle in 10 minutes doesn't count.

Calling this game a sandbox just shows you how much blind and delusional some fans of the game are.

THEMEPARK

The people who actually believe that GW2 is somewhere "in the middle" are even worse, because it sounds like they are serious, lol.

You can, but you don't have to travel. You may travel in EVE from point A to point B as much or often as you can in GW2. Thanks to downleveling you can go from level 2 to 80 in a single zone. Most things in games are scripted, systems are scripted, levels are scripted, even sandbox games are scripted. Scripted just means you call routines of the game engine from a easily understandable programming language in real-time. That paragraph is worthless anyway as it shows how much or how little you know about GW2.

There are boundaries, but there are also boundaries in EVE. You need boundaries to achieve some sort of progression system. You cannot instantly buy the best ship with the best equipment in EVE either or travel from point A to B (wherein B is anywhere in the game world) within seconds. EVE is a good example or the best example of player driven-content, but if you take a distant look at it, it is a player created themepark. You cannot mod EVE, so don't call it a sandbox. Don't be delusional about games.

You might argue GW2 to be linear or not, that's is not the point, it is one of the most dynamic games out there - and that is its strength.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    You a cool person OP, a lil over the top, but cool. This one goes too far though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Syno23 I hate themepark games where you go to one area get the quests and do them and move onto the next area. In GW2 you can explore every inch of every area. Don't have to do the story quest right away. Different areas to explore like all the starting areas for each race PLUS other areas. I don't feel like I'm in a linear game. But a nice relaxing sandbox style.
    First of all, you're trying too hard.  Not every thought that comes into your head needs to be a new thread.  Take it down a notch. Second of all, you obviously have no idea what the word "sandbox" means.  

QFT

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    I really don't think OP is a troll. I think he's a serious, typical example of a gw2 devout fan.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

my definition of sandbox is the ability to permanently change the world in some way. For instance by building a castle where there was none before. Therefore GW2 is not a sandbox by my definition.

I prefer to use the term worlds though, because a world can contain both sandbox and themepark elements, both of which have their place in a mmorpg. 

lets get back to building worlds.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    ok i have to admitt the title made my day ^^
  • kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by IPolygon

THEMEPARK

You can, but you don't have to travel. You may travel in EVE from point A to point B as much or often as you can in GW2. Thanks to downleveling you can go from level 2 to 80 in a single zone. Most things in games are scripted, systems are scripted, levels are scripted, even sandbox games are scripted. Scripted just means you call routines of the game engine from a easily understandable programming language in real-time. That paragraph is worthless anyway as it shows how much or how little you know about GW2.

There are boundaries, but there are also boundaries in EVE. You need boundaries to achieve some sort of progression system. You cannot instantly buy the best ship with the best equipment in EVE either or travel from point A to B (wherein B is anywhere in the game world) within seconds. EVE is a good example or the best example of player driven-content, but if you take a distant look at it, it is a player created themepark. You cannot mod EVE, so don't call it a sandbox. Don't be delusional about games.

You might argue GW2 to be linear or not, that's is not the point, it is one of the most dynamic games out there - and that is its strength.

It's ok man, you can like a themepark,there is nothing wrong about it.

If you are gonna use some weird definition of what sandbox really is, don't be surprised when nobody understands you.

"There are boudnaries, but there are also boundaries in EVE" um.... you could say the same about WOW

EVE is a player created themepark? what?

GW2 isn't more dynamic than a real sandbox MMOs, where the players dictates what happens, THAT'S dynamic, kill 10 rats quests that recycle every 10 minutes isn't what i call.... dynamic

EQ, Lineage 1, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, those are all games with more tools for player made content and more freedom than 5 GW2s put together.

And they aren't sandboxes.

No... sorry, sandbox games aren't scripted, sandbox games gives you the tools to make your own content, GW2 has no tools, you just enjoy the rides, that's it.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41
    This game is not a sandbox game. I will give it better exploration than any game recently put out but that doesnt make it a sandbox game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I hate themepark games where you go to one area get the quests and do them and move onto the next area. In GW2 you can explore every inch of every area. Don't have to do the story quest right away. Different areas to explore like all the starting areas for each race PLUS other areas. I don't feel like I'm in a linear game. But a nice relaxing sandbox style.

No, GW2 is an exploration game like Asherons call. It isnt really a sandbox since you dont create your own content.

But exploration is fun, and I for one love the tombraider puzzles they put in hard to find places. :)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

THEMEPARK

If you are gonna use some weird definition of what sandbox really is, don't be surprised when nobody understands you.

"There are boudnaries, but there are also boundaries in EVE" um.... you could say the same about WOW

GW2 isn't more dynamic than a real sandbox MMOs, where the players dictates what happens, THAT'S dynamic, kill 10 rats quests that recycle every 10 minutes isn't what i call.... dynamic

EQ, Lineage 1, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, those are all games with more tools for player made content and more freedom than 5 GW2s put together.

No... sorry, sandbox games aren't scripted, sandbox games gives you the tools to make your own content, GW2 has no tools, you just enjoy the rides, that's it.

GW2 definitely isn't a sandbox, but it's not a shallow themepark. A shallow themepark is the kind where your interactions with the "rides" doesn't affect the state of the park. While there are DEs in GW2 that reoccurs unrealistically (i.e. supposedly killed boss doesn't stay killed in the world), there are also DEs that are permanent unless interacted by the player (i.e. forts built by centaurs, nightmare court, etc.). There's also branching DEs. They're a new kind of rides; ones that the player can change the course of.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I hate themepark games where you go to one area get the quests and do them and move onto the next area. In GW2 you can explore every inch of every area. Don't have to do the story quest right away. Different areas to explore like all the starting areas for each race PLUS other areas. I don't feel like I'm in a linear game. But a nice relaxing sandbox style.

sandbox style...sure...

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

oh what do you know, gw2 is even a sandbox game ... amazing

... in the name of Balthazar ....ameeeeeen

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

You wanna hear a joke?

Q: What does sandbox and guildwars 2 have in common?

A: Sand in your eyes!

lol I know the joke is a failure, just like is labeling GW2 anywhere near the words sand box.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by tom_gore

You have no idea what a sandbox MMO is, do you?

This.

or trolling.

Seriously what's with those 'gw2 is sandbox(y)' or 'tsw is sandbox(y)' trolling?

Both of those games are 100% themepaks.

anyway 3 / 10 - just because how many replies It got. But overally weak.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Im happy this topid was not serious.

as soon as i readed gw2 being a good sandbox game is was ready to smack my head on my keyboard several times leaving nothing but angry and offensive words about you and your mother.

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

Sandboxgame.

I love when people roam around the forums internet and pic up some terms, or catchfrases.

Sandboxgame are.

When the tools is handed to you ,to be able to complete the things you are doing

Sandbox is related to IRL where you as a 3 year old sitting in the sandbox playing with platic trucks and a shovel.

You decide to make a sandcastle , and mother hads you a green bucket to make a tower, when all 4 towers are complete, mother hand you the next tool for your next assingment, wich is making a dich around the castle and you need a shovel , and than she hand you some whater to poor in the dich.

So a sandbox game is what it says it hands you the things you need to be able to complete the goal at hand.

People who dont say they like a sandbox game, are normaly people who dont know what i meens , they just picked up the catchfrase and becouse everybody els are saying it.

People thinks of the word sandbox game as negative, and uses the word in every game they dident like.

So next time a word is used try understand the word first.

Also

Chucknooris jokes i guess nobody knows why this is acctyly funny atleast people you are born in the 1990 and later.

Chucknorris jokes apeard long before MMO and the reason chuck norris became so funny to talk about was.

Chuck Norris is a bearded man with mussels and brain, and a heart of gold "Walker Texas ranger" awwrrrhhhh !!!

But all he does is bad series and bad movies, witch pictures on the movie hes standing with a Uzi and a chopped jeans coat swetty looking way to serius. he is a realy bad B moviestar wich made a name for him self becouse of hes integrety and that he acctyly was good handsome and cool , but the series and movies where bad , and it has always been that way.

So it was a THING about him that made him popular,

So when in the commercial in wow, when Chuck Norris aprove , its just funny becouse "arrhh" hes the serius MAN, way to cool for everything and annything, so when i APPROVE its that awsome" arrgggh !!

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• FourReelzFourReelz Member Posts: 12

It seems like these GW2 lovers are scared the term "Theampark" may drive people away from the game. There trying to associate the term "Sandbox" or "Hybrid" to GW2 in hopes to perhaps gain some players that are indead sick and tired of playing these theamparks.

Just sad really. Theres nothing sandbox about GW2 at all. Arguee samantics all you want, it wount change a rooster into a hen. Every point being made to support thier claims that GW2 is a sandbox or some type of hybrid, is reaching at best.

Are you all ashamed to be playing a theampark? Is that why your people keep trying to make these rediculas claimes?

With each one of these silly posts you people make, youve just missed a DE. Really, just go play your game.

• FourReelzFourReelz Member Posts: 12

THEMEPARK

I dont understand what these people are thinking half the time. Perhaps there sleep deprived from playing GW2 way to much. I dont know. But from some of the posts in this thread i can tell you that some are delusonal.

GW2 IS 100% through and through and theampark. It doesent get any theamier.