Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is this game fun or different?

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Guild Wars 2 did exactly what WoW did when it was released. Took what made all the games before it fun, meshed them all together and then put their own twist on it to make it a fun experience.

WoW had Ultima online, Everquest, DAoC, Asherons Call and Several other pre-2004 titles to choose from.

Guild Wars 2 has a rather large pool to gather from with it being 8 years later and all.

I wasn't interested at first, much like I was when WoW was in beta, but now that I have played it, it's a blast.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@op

How is the game fun? Well that all depends on you.. Do you like Fantasy Themepark games with tab targeting ?

If thats a yes then i would think you will find the game fun..

How is the game different?

Well its not really its a tab target themepark mmorpg, sure they have some new twists on things but at the end of the day there is nothing really majorly different about the game. Instead of ! aboves quest givers heads you get people with hearts above their heads.. these are stupid boring missions by the way.. then you get do called dynamic events that happen in the same pot over and over just at random times.. soem are ok but still this is nothing new..

Anyway at the end of the day if you like these type of games then you will enjoy GW2 as its well put togeather and runs pretty good.

For me the only good bit about the game at the moment is WvWvW and mi not sure how long that will last..

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by vee41
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Also if you expect me to go though your blog post and pick out each detail. then give me a little bit more time. taking somones list and showing it is one thing. Reading a 7 or 8 paragraph blog and writing a rebuttle takes a little more time.

Was referring to a list I posted earlier, here you go:

"- Unique endgame approach.

- Progression model.

- Living world.

- Removing tedium from MMO.

There are only a few. Some of those might to some extent excist in other games but tell me a game that has put even all of those features together? Or done it with such high production values? There are a lot more that could be listed if you want to :)"

AH sorry sorry, must have missed it.

1 - its less of a unique approach and more of a lower focus on Endgame. which is what Sandbox is based off of in itself.

2 - Progression in this is based off levels. which can go to any MMO, If you mean character progression then Eve for its opening base missions followed by sandbox ending.

3 - Definition of Sandbox.

4 - this is a loaded term. what one may call tedious may be entertainment for another. personally i find the kill 10 of this and 15 of that tedious or fighting the same boss (dynamic event) repeatedly. so i cant give a example because i am not you.

it sounds like the part you enjoy about this is the Mix of sandbox elements into the game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ace80k

Hey, you know all those abilites on your hobar? Try switching to another weapon, see all those other abilities? Yep, once you level up, you'll be able to switch to every single one of those in combat eventually (just by switching to a different weapon..there are exceptions to this). That's different. Once you level up, you'll be able to do dungeons, guess what? You won't need a tank OR or a  healer? Amazing right? Oh hey, try doing some WvWvW, the zones are HUGE and overwhelming. I mean, seriously, they're really big, like gigantic. Oh yea, the leveling process is almost completely different. There's a main quest storyline, but other than that, there aren't quests! That's different. Let's see, you also get experience for almost everything you do, regular experience. Harvesting, exploring the world. PvP, crafting, did I forget anything there? There's quite a bit about the game that's different. GW2 took a very different approach to the MMO genre, it's up to you to consider whether or not it's fun.

1 - Abilities switching with weapon - TSW with more restrictions.

2 - The Dimishshed presence of the holy trinity is the only DIfference ill give.

3 - WvWvW - WAR Realm Vs Realm - DAoC - RvR

4 - lack of quests - Insert any Sandbox game here

5 - Experiance gain on everything - Rift - if im not mistaken you gain experiance for Crafting, Exploring yada yada.

What is this differance you speak of.

The difference? They're not in all in WoW, ie not a WoW clone, not combined in any other game. That's different. Just to add, Sandbox MMO, who plays them? Name a mainstream sandbox MMO. Darkfall, uhh no one plays it. Sandbox MMO's are a myth. You don't gain experience for crafting in Rift, you do for exploration, but it's pretty standard as far as experience goes. You gain crafting experience, which is different. GW2 is different, end of story. Oh, and it's F2P right from the get-go, sure you need to buy the intial box, but still..it's not P2win.

I like GW2 but saying that gaining experiance for crafting is different tells me you have not played games like Vanguard.

Originally posted by altas

... and every FPS game, like CoD, Medal of Honor, Serious Sam, Crysis... Every single of them copied Wolfenstein...

Dont get me started on FPS's they havent seen innovation other than Updated graphics and RPG elements.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    I know, im doing a much better job

No you're not. ;) The "innovative vs. glue" discussion is purely academic and certainly isn't anything new. It was boring in 2005 when people discussed what WoW stole from where and it's equally boring in 2012 re. GW2.

For me innovation in gaming isn't some basic idea that somebody came up with but failed to implement properly. It's only innovation when you make the idea work as an integral part of your whole gamplay concept. That's why WoW was innovative. That's why GW2 is innovative. ANet took a bunch of raw ideas and stitched them together really nicely.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    /snip

Oh look, you had to pick 8 different games to show those features exist already. 

/thread

This.  There are far too many resources showing why GW2 is fun and different.  The excuse of "x games do these things" doesn't really win this argument since those games don't have all the other things.  GW2 does and that would by default make it different then the other ones individually.

Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Hey, you know all those abilites on your hobar? Try switching to another weapon, see all those other abilities? Yep, once you level up, you'll be able to switch to every single one of those in combat eventually (just by switching to a different weapon..there are exceptions to this). That's different. Once you level up, you'll be able to do dungeons, guess what? You won't need a tank OR or a  healer? Amazing right? Oh hey, try doing some WvWvW, the zones are HUGE and overwhelming. I mean, seriously, they're really big, like gigantic. Oh yea, the leveling process is almost completely different. There's a main quest storyline, but other than that, there aren't quests! That's different. Let's see, you also get experience for almost everything you do, regular experience. Harvesting, exploring the world. PvP, crafting, did I forget anything there? There's quite a bit about the game that's different. GW2 took a very different approach to the MMO genre, it's up to you to consider whether or not it's fun.

2 - The Dimishshed presence of the holy trinity is the only DIfference ill give.

5 - Experiance gain on everything - Rift - if im not mistaken you gain experiance for Crafting, Exploring yada yada.

The difference? They're not in all in WoW, ie not a WoW clone, not combined in any other game. That's different. Just to add, Sandbox MMO, who plays them? Name a mainstream sandbox MMO. Darkfall, uhh no one plays it. Sandbox MMO's are a myth. You don't gain experience for crafting in Rift, you do for exploration, but it's pretty standard as far as experience goes. You gain crafting experience, which is different. GW2 is different, end of story. Oh, and it's F2P right from the get-go, sure you need to buy the intial box, but still..it's not P2win.

I like GW2 but saying that gaining experiance for crafting is different tells me you have not played games like Vanguard.

Thank you sir. i was actually digging though my MMO collection to try and remember which one it was i played.

Because i can.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Krytycal

It's funny how the people claiming GW2 as innovative and revolutionary are now admitting that GW2 didn't really come up with a lot of new stuff per se, but rather incorporated a lot of the good things from other MMOs and successfully executed them. I guess by that logic WoW must have been pretty innovative back in 2004.

The truth is GW2 is not innovative, EVE is innovative, TSW's investigation quests are innovative, I've played GW2 for quite some time now and I've yet to come across something I've not seen in some form in other MMOs before. I'd say the lack of trinity is close, but I've played MMOs where there are no dedicated healers/tanks.

This doesn't mean the game is bad, it really isn't. It's probably the best themepark out there right now, it's just not very innovative.

The problem is, it took ANET a long time to release the game. When GW2 was announced and an initial features list introduced, alot of the ideas talked about and some even coded WERE innovative. ANET talked about PQs before WAR was in development, the mist was always set up like it is, heros (a feature that was cut) was set out like how TOR eventually did it, personal story same thing. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by Aelious
    /snip

Oh look, you had to pick 8 different games to show those features exist already. 

/thread

This.  There are far too many resources showing why GW2 is fun and different.  The excuse of "x games do these things" doesn't really win this argument since those games don't have all the other things.  GW2 does and that would by default make it different then the other ones individually.

if that is not a exscuse for GW2 then why can things constantly be called WoW clones when they have different features.

Also before i get lumped in with the OP, ill say this, the game does kinda look fun so i believe it is quite fun. i just don't have enough interest to spend 60 bucks on it.

Because i can.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    /snip

/thread

if that is not a exscuse for GW2 then why can things constantly be called WoW clones when they have different features.

That depends on the person saying it.  If I see something as a "WoW clone" it's because the world is a static quest hub progression MMO.  Some games add things to this same system in order to be "different", TOR for example with cinematics and an indepth personal story, but it didn't cut it for me.  It was the same static quest hub level progression game but with a different skin.

GW2 is a lot different.  It has familiar elements but the end result is different than any game out there right now.

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101
    Innovation should not necesarily mean to create something new from scratch as would be invention or creation. The refinement of elements from another games are consistent with innovation. Besides semantics, I think it is fair to say that the overall feeling of the game is different. I usually hated to see other PCs near me when questing, not the case anymore, and not being a guy that has played ALL the MMOs out there it feels innovative enought.
  • ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

I haven't played Vanguard in a long time, a very long time in fact. But, if I remember correctly, the experience you gain from crafting, in Vanguard, goes towards your crafting level, not adventure level. Crafting was/is considered one of the 3 "spheres", which included adventuring, crafting, and diplomacy. From what I remember, the crafting in Vanguard was fairly similar to EQ2, which again, was seperate from your adventuring level..unlike GW2. Now in GW2, while crafting, you gain BOTH crafting AND "adventuring" experience. So yes, there is a difference.

/snip

/thread

Also before i get lumped in with the OP, ill say this, the game does kinda look fun so i believe it is quite fun. i just don't have enough interest to spend 60 bucks on it.

GW2 isn't a wow clone because I don't feel like I'm playing WoW when I play it. Rift, WAR, TOR wow clones. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Also if you expect me to go though your blog post and pick out each detail. then give me a little bit more time. taking somones list and showing it is one thing. Reading a 7 or 8 paragraph blog and writing a rebuttle takes a little more time.

- Progression model.

- Living world.

There are only a few. Some of those might to some extent excist in other games but tell me a game that has put even all of those features together? Or done it with such high production values? There are a lot more that could be listed if you want to :)"

1 - its less of a unique approach and more of a lower focus on Endgame. which is what Sandbox is based off of in itself.

2 - Progression in this is based off levels. which can go to any MMO, If you mean character progression then Eve for its opening base missions followed by sandbox ending.

4 - this is a loaded term. what one may call tedious may be entertainment for another. personally i find the kill 10 of this and 15 of that tedious or fighting the same boss (dynamic event) repeatedly. so i cant give a example because i am not you.

it sounds like the part you enjoy about this is the Mix of sandbox elements into the game.

That was a good response :)

1 - Thats a good angle to view it, I'd say it this way but can't of course say that you are wrong anyway

2 - Levels are actually very indifferent form of progression in GW2

3 - With living world I mean the consequences of your actions in a way that has never been done. This would be mostly Dynamic and World events with their various effects. Haven't really seen any sandbox with similar mechanics, WAR and RIFT did something similar but it is actualyl realyl different on fundemental level. Again, one of the features you have to see in game before you will believe it :)

4 - What I mean here is giving player the choice. If they want they can skip all hearts, all DE's, basically all PvE content and for example craft and still progress in the game. You don't have to do anything you feel is tedious, if you dont want to fight that boss repetedly you dont have to. Most other games force you down a certain path if you want to advance.

Sorry for linking to my blog all the time, but as it is all written down there already so don't want to go repeating myself too much.

Originally posted by xpiher
    /snip

/thread

GW2 isn't a wow clone because I don't feel like I'm playing WoW when I play it. Rift, WAR, TOR wow clones. 

Thats generally how i feel. it annoys me when people automatically think that anything that has a Hotbar is a WoW clone. Saying that means that anything that allows you freeroam is a GTA clone, thus Spiderman games are GTA clones. see what i mean.

I dont think GW2 is a WoW clone. also alot of other games that have a different feel aren't either. just because you use 1-9 to attack doesnt mean its a clone of anything.

Because i can.

- Progression model.

- Living world.

That was a good response :)

1 - Thats a good angle to view it, I'd say it this way but can't of course say that you are wrong anyway

2 - Levels are actually very indifferent form of progression in GW2

3 - With living world I mean the consequences of your actions in a way that has never been done. This would be mostly Dynamic and World events with their various effects. Haven't really seen any sandbox with similar mechanics, WAR and RIFT did something similar but it is actualyl realyl different on fundemental level. Again, one of the features you have to see in game before you will believe it :)

4 - What I mean here is giving player the choice. If they want they can skip all hearts, all DE's, basically all PvE content and for example craft and still progress in the game. You don't have to do anything you feel is tedious, if you dont want to fight that boss repetedly you dont have to. Most other games force you down a certain path if you want to advance.

Sorry for linking to my blog all the time, but as it is all written down there already so don't want to go repeating myself too much.

i said this in another thread, so ill post it here aswell.

GW2 is a Bridge game. it bridges between Sandbox and Themepark. Wether or not its innovative its your call. (This is also coming from the person who wants to see Sandbox and Themepark get their own Genre instead of having to destroy one to have the other exist.)

Because i can.

Originally posted by Rayshe Also if you expect me to go though your blog post and pick out each detail. then give me a little bit more time. taking somones list and showing it is one thing. Reading a 7 or 8 paragraph blog and writing a rebuttle takes a little more time.
    Was referring to a list I posted earlier, here you go:     "- Unique endgame approach. - Progression model. - Living world. - Removing tedium from MMO. There are only a few. Some of those might to some extent excist in other games but tell me a game that has put even all of those features together? Or done it with such high production values? There are a lot more that could be listed if you want to :)"
    AH sorry sorry, must have missed it.   1 - its less of a unique approach and more of a lower focus on Endgame. which is what Sandbox is based off of in itself. 2 - Progression in this is based off levels. which can go to any MMO, If you mean character progression then Eve for its opening base missions followed by sandbox ending. 3 - Definition of Sandbox. 4 - this is a loaded term. what one may call tedious may be entertainment for another. personally i find the kill 10 of this and 15 of that tedious or fighting the same boss (dynamic event) repeatedly. so i cant give a example because i am not you.   it sounds like the part you enjoy about this is the Mix of sandbox elements into the game.
    That was a good response :) 1 - Thats a good angle to view it, I'd say it this way but can't of course say that you are wrong anyway 2 - Levels are actually very indifferent form of progression in GW2 3 - With living world I mean the consequences of your actions in a way that has never been done. This would be mostly Dynamic and World events with their various effects. Haven't really seen any sandbox with similar mechanics, WAR and RIFT did something similar but it is actualyl realyl different on fundemental level. Again, one of the features you have to see in game before you will believe it :) 4 - What I mean here is giving player the choice. If they want they can skip all hearts, all DE's, basically all PvE content and for example craft and still progress in the game. You don't have to do anything you feel is tedious, if you dont want to fight that boss repetedly you dont have to. Most other games force you down a certain path if you want to advance. Sorry for linking to my blog all the time, but as it is all written down there already so don't want to go repeating myself too much.
    i said this in another thread, so ill post it here aswell.   GW2 is a Bridge game. it bridges between Sandbox and Themepark. Wether or not its innovative its your call. (This is also coming from the person who wants to see Sandbox and Themepark get their own Genre instead of having to destroy one to have the other exist.)

Depending on how player housing goes and other future features it may end up being more sandbox than themepark. It seems to me that NCSOFT is pioneering the bridge model. It'll be interesting to see how popular Wild Star is as well.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Could be Interesting. i will be watching the progression of GW2 thats for sure. i just am completely burned out of the fantasy Genre in general. so even if i got it given to me for free id only play maybe a hour or 2 before going to something else.

Because i can.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Goldknyght
    I load up my friends account because I refuse to pay 60 bucks before i even try this out. Ok take some story elements from Tor, take some PQ's from WAR, take the easy leveling from WoW, take the fracked up skills system from...(you pick), and how is this different then what is out there already? [mod edit]

/sigh image

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by xpiher

Technically WAR was a WoW clone but nobody did PvE there so in practice it was different enough. WoW didn't have anything that would resemble RvR till WotLK and even then it was just one zone (rather disappointing at first due to the unbearable lag). PvP dynamics also was a bit different (less keybindings, healers played a more important role, terrain wasn't always your friend, etc.)

Rift was a 90% vanilla WoW clone at launch. SWTOR is basically WoW with lightsabers.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    /snip

/thread

60 bucks?? its only kids that cant pay 60 bucks for a lifetime sub. And no "gamer" will miss out on gw2 , not even the kids.

Im pretty sure you will install GW2 inside 2 weeks, if you arent sitting there dl it allready.

Actaully in 2 weeks ill be enjoying the TSW new content.

Its fantasy. ive been burnt out of Fantasy MMO's thus im playing a Modern Fantasy MMO. ill probubly play Planetside 2 before i play GW2. ill wait for it to drop to about 30 before i pay for it.

Because i can.

Actaully in 2 weeks ill be enjoying the TSW new content.

I hear Funcom isn't very happy with TSW performance: "due to the expected lower initial revenues from The Secret World... the Company has implemented significant cost cut initiatives, involving reduction of personnel." So the bright future of TSW looks rather bleak at the moment.

P.S. BTW, as always, XFire numbers are spot on. TSW was once (very briefly) in Top5, now it's not even in Top50.

Thats nice, 90% of the community said it before it was launched that TSW wouldnt hold WoW numbers.

TSW will be a Small dedicated community. you can look back at any of my posts and see that i said that.

Want a little tip. The reason WoW can still hold WoW numbers is because people have been playing it for so long. To unsub would be to admit that all those years they spent playing and paying a sub would be a waste.

Because i can.