Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions.

2»

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Thanks for the copper Barcrow. I also wish there was travel from one end of the world to the other but I'll take what I can get in this case. The good news is that in the future we may just see that if ANet wants to do it.

Someone took the terrain files and pieced them all together as a map and then transposed it onto a globe. It made me feel better knowing the world was at least created as a whole even if they are cut up into zones like EQ. The amazing part is how little both the GW1 and GW2 content is on the total map:

Nice. World looks huge.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

*Combats cool. Wish it wasnt tab targetting and more like TERA

It's not tab targeting. Face any target and use a skill and guess what? You hit it. You can use tab which is nice for people who prefer that option, however it is not require dto ever hit tab if you are not into it.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

*but I think I can safely recommend the game to those who are not all about end game.

You've only made it to level 10 but preclaim the above. Think before you speak. I mean really.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I sort of agree about the zoning.  It's less-than-immersive to have to take a portal to something that's actually 10 feet away instead of having the option to climb over a mountain or hill or difference in terrain to get to the same area... BUT... I rarely see these portals except in town.  What are you doing that causes you to see them so often?  The zones are huge, by far bigger than any WoW zone I've been in, and I can play for hours without seeing anything but non-instanced game world.

Nothing special. Seeems like I ran into more when i was playing in the Char starting area. One mountian region..I went through a cave...portal to go into next area...ran around killing stuff..hit another portal in a canyon area...etc. That and the overflow map added to it. Once that mellows out over time,,it will be less noticable for sure.

Having played a human thief longer..I notice that area doesnt seem too bad at all. The most are in Divinity Reach itself ( other than story instances).which is fine..i guess.

I'm getting more used to it. I do wish more mmos could get instancing down like Blizzards cash-cow. As someone else mentioned they really have perfected it to a nearly seemless experience. Too bad I'm just tired of that game. lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Eberhardt

This has been explained before but I'll put it here as well. All MMO's are zoned/instanced. Even World of Warcraft...Some games are better at hiding it than others. For instance WoW; it uses a combination of terrain sewing and server bridging to achieve what looks like an open world when it is actually a collection of seperate zones. You don't notice that you are moving form zone to zone because things are preloaded once you reach the threshold of the previous zone. So the player has no clue that somethng was loaded. On lower end systems you may notice a slight stutter for a second or two and then you're right back to the action.

But yes...all MMO's are zoned. Guild Wars 2 does it to keep sys req's low and server costs at a minimum. Very smart on their part. Not to mention the zones are HUGE!

Yes we all know this, if not all most. The point is moot though, in WOW you don't notice because you're not taken out of the game. SWG was the same way (on planet). Each world was a collection of large zones (actual huge maps). Vanguard is another good example.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

*but I think I can safely recommend the game to those who are not all about end game.

You've only made it to level 10 but preclaim the above. Think before you speak. I mean really.

Why?....I already know I like the game so I recommend things I like.

My "end-game" comment, if that is what you're concerned about, was aimed at those that could not care less about endgame. If , like me, this is usually the case then you might like the game. Especially if you have no need to rush through the beautiful world. It was not to say this games end content is shite (since I've obviously not played any yet). Who knows..i might very well like GW2 's "end-game".

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

think the main problem with TOR instancing was it was done and you can never see another player on certain planets. this of course was a huge issue later when over a million players quit.

we'll have to see how this game pans out

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR