Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the fence, educate me about the PVE

Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Hey guys, so im considering trying this out but im on the fense. Here is my dilemma. I keep hearing this game does not have much PVE in it.

Personally for me I enjoy PVE the most out of MMORPG's. I dabble in PVP from time to time but PVE is where my interest is the most.

So if someone could unbiasedly(if thats a word lol) give me the low down on the PVE in this game that would be greatly appreciated. Yes I realize there is alot of GW2 fanboys on this forum but hopefully someone will give me an honest opinion. Both the good and the bad on PVE.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Does running standard issue dungeons and raids for not gear but gear looks sound appealing?

Do you like zerg public quests?

Does an instanced single player race storyline appeal to you?

If so this game will suit your needs.

If not you better really like pvp.

Everyone else is going to tell you its revolutionary, ground breaking, and innovative and that you must play the game.  Its really just the latest incarnation of warhammer online.  Yes theres new twists on all the old mechanics.  And it has a freight train of hype behind it.

If your on the fence i would wait untill endgame is played, that will be the true test of this game....everyones loving the early game as most anyone would while playing a new game. Its not like by waiting youll be behind, leveling is very quick and painless, even heard there are already level 80's...

• The only real unbiased info I can give you is that some people think it's a new and refreshing approach to PvE whereas other people think it's the same as every other MMO.  However, one thing I will say that's notably different is your level is scaled down if you go to a lower level area, meaning it will all be relevant for you at any level.
  • Originally posted by redman875

Does running standard issue dungeons and raids for not gear but gear looks sound appealing?

If not you better really like pvp.

Everyone else is going to tell you its revolutionary, ground breaking, and innovative and that you must play the game.  Its really just the latest incarnation of warhammer online.  Yes theres new twists on all the old mechanics.  And it has a freight train of hype behind it.

If your on the fence i would wait untill endgame is played, that will be the true test of this game....everyones loving the early game as most anyone would while playing a new game. Its not like by waiting youll be behind, leveling is very quick and painless, even heard there are already level 80's...

Yeah, that sure was unbiased.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Its realistic.  I dont have the launch fever and dont participate in hype.

I never stated the game was bad.

Its clearly focused on pvp and the OP asked about PVE, which is sort of a weakspot for the game.

Yes i realize that not overly postive is biased and trolling ect.  Someone needs to be reaslistic here...sorry.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I can't be bothered to explain so here's a decent video.

Also here's a couple of bullet points that will give you an idea what to expect...

• The PvE is both soloable and group friendly (though a bit zergy during this launch period).
    • Community can be great, depending on your server.
    • Holy trinity isn't really here, but you can specify your character to a playstyle.
    • Rushing through the content can actually make your underleveled for content.
    • Don't come here expecting a WoW like leveling experience (no raids or gear grind).
    • Legendary weapons will take legendary amount of time to make.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 553

For me it just feels natural. My aim as many others probably may be, is completing the map areas. But once you get started for me it just happens, one thing leads you to another to another. Killing, gathering, helping people as you go around.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Does not have much pve? OP, the game's like 90% PVE. There's 25 adventure zones with quests, vistas, jumping puzzles, personal storylines in instanced areas, 8 dungeons with 3 different paths for hard mode and finally 6 hubs cities.

Now, wheter you'll like GW2's PVE or not, is something only you can know.

My suggestion is to read up on the game, watch videos, etc. There's no shortage of info around. Try to looking it up and i hope you find what you're looking. Happy gaming.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    My advice is to use my "Release +1 month" rule on all MMOs.  I haven't bought a game or pre-ordered until at least a month after it's been out since Age of Conan.  This does three things.  1)  The "newness" factor has usually subsided, and people will start telling you honest opinions.   2)  Gives you notice of how many people will actually be on.  Now even though GW2 doesn't have a subscription, it still works.  Most people that don't like a game will leave within a week.  3)  Launch bugs are usually fixed, or at least they better be.  You'll get to enter the game without having to worrying about your immersion being interrupted by lag, crashes, matinence, bugs, etc.
  • Originally posted by redman875

Its realistic.  I dont have the launch fever and dont participate in hype.

I never stated the game was bad.

Its clearly focused on pvp and the OP asked about PVE, which is sort of a weakspot for the game.

Yes i realize that not overly postive is biased and trolling ect.  Someone needs to be reaslistic here...sorry.

Realistic to you maybe, not to everyone... meaning it was just your biased opinion.  If what you posted was truely "realistic" then it would be indisputable.

You don't have to state it's bad to see you hate the game.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by redman875

Wrong - You get gear from dungeons, stat gear. I got stat gear from the first lvl 30 dungeon

Wrong - Some are zerg but others can be done solo or with a small group.  Did a several DE with only 2 others most of last night.

Wrong - I have helped my roommate with ever instanced story quest he has had so far as he likes grouping and not soloing.

If not you better really like pvp

This person clearly does not like the game or has not palyed the game yet.  You will never be far behind as anyone higher level can come and help you in any lower level zone without hurting the higher level too much, in fact I have been doing all the starting zones of the races I do not plan on playing at lvl 35.

Sooner or Later

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Thank's for the replies. Much appreciated.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I've been doing PvE exclusively since launch and have enjoyed it a lot. You have points of interest and hearts to lead you into areas then then events pop up in addition to that if you happen to be there at the right time. You're rewarded for exploration in that regard and the zones are well done.

I hadn't been able to play the MMOs out there because I didn't like the quest hub, come back system. GW2 has hearts which are small multi quests that pop up when you enter the area but that's a small portion of the content. The events that come up are what makes the game exciting.

I have to say that most of what Redman said under your OP is grossly uninformed at best, almost to each point. Also, this game is not just about PvP. Yes it has great PvP but the ove is fantastic as well.