Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do TERA players think of Guild Wars 2

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Just curious as to what they will say on here. In game everyone seems completly livid about how Guild Wars suck and me wanting to try it out but haven't been in any Beta events whatsoever am still on the fence about playing. Seems hardly anyone from TERA has any interest in playing GW2. And those who pre-ordered it seem to play about a half a day and uninstall it and resume TERA. They say it is ugly as F*#* and tab targeting sucks. I'll have to admit though TERA has got me hooked more than any new game has in a very long time and I'm not sure if I can stand the ugly graphics and bad community myself after playing TERA. I don't think any game out right now is gonna hold a candle to the way TERA looks and plays and I would really be pissed if I waste 60 bucks on a game that I will not wanna play after playing TERA. Comments?

I realize that most of the TERA players are not gonna even see this because we are all having to much fun in game and not trolling game forums.

Probably only gonna get negative comments due to this fact!

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/5255727/thread/363012#5255727

That right there is my answer. Hardcore Tera guy. Anti GW2 guy. Living in the world of Tyria and loving every second of it. I loved the combat in Tera. It is the bestest. Everything else in GW2 just happens to be way better.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    You propably won't find your answer from either TERA or GW2 community, everyone has their own opinion and it is just that: an opinion. Best way is propably look for some stuff about GW2 and make up your own mind. My opinion is that if you like TERA, why not stick with it :)
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    They're both ok. I prefer the combat from Tera and the chatacter models from GW2.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Are the graphics really as ugly as everyone says compared to TERA?
  • PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

Being a TERA player, I would say that the game hasn't impressed me too much. It is a game with a lot of great ideas but I love the TERA combat too much. I actually enjoyed tanking for the first time and timing my dodges against Bosses. I feel bad for a good chunk of TERA players seeing how they troll a lot in Global/LFG chat. I hope they enjoy their suspensions.

I bought 6 months of chrono scrolls for my account on Tera. Never logged in again haha. Bluehole is clueless on good end game. Enchanting is not end game. So I moved on. Not even logging in for queen of argon patch. With GW2 out I just see no point. (This coming from a huge fan of Tera combat)

Hero Evermore

Originally posted by Wrender

TERA has better graphics and I love how they put a lot of detail into the armors but I still think GW2 graphics/style isn't bad. I like the whole artlike style thing they got going. I think it looks pretty cool.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Not to be an asshole but why don't you just google few images or videos?

Originally posted by HeroEvermore

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/5255727/thread/363012#5255727

That right there is my answer. Hardcore Tera guy. Anti GW2 guy. Living in the world of Tyria and loving every second of it. I loved the combat in Tera. It is the bestest. Everything else in GW2 just happens to be way better.

Read your linked post Hero. Very nice. Glad to hear you love it so much. Me being a 52 yr old guy will I have the same opinion? A good and friendly community is very important to me. Do people talk in GW2 or is everyone all anti-social and solo minded? I will admit TERA has little meat on it's bone other than the loyal community and excellent combat system and awesome graphics. The quests are a bit lame but for some reason TERA has got me in it's grasp. Can't quite say why but I am loving it. Maybe it's the controls as I was always a tab targeter and a mouse clicker and it took me forever to get used to tera's control scheme. But once I learned it it is gonna be very hard for me to go back to tab targeting and mouse clicking.Oh And I absolutly LOVE playing in Cntrl+Z mode. (No interface) Blows my mind!

Graphics are better in Tera. Throw out art style and it's a fact. Doesnt take away from GW2 though. There world is actually ALIVE and designed way better. I do not get stuck in rocks every 10 mins when mountain climbing like in Tera. Something that really annoyed me!

Hero Evermore

I guess overall the graphics are pretty equal. Tera might have slightly better graphics, though I prefer the art style of GW2 more. Click on the images for full res.

Originally posted by vee41

I have watched a few videos and done a bit of research and yes I will prob end up buying it at some point. Also was wondering how good a computer you need to see it in all it's glory as mine is not the greatest but man TERA looks sweet even at low end settings. I'm on a damn E-Machine low end dual core AMD with a Nvidia 460 GT card. Only getting like 30 FPS in tera with current settings but looks and plays great! How will it run GW2 has yet to be seen.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Just curious as to what they will say on here. In game everyone seems completly livid about how Guild Wars suck and me wanting to try it out but haven't been in any Beta events whatsoever am still on the fence about playing. Seems hardly anyone from TERA has any interest in playing GW2. And those who pre-ordered it seem to play about a half a day and uninstall it and resume TERA. They say it is ugly as F*#* and tab targeting sucks. I'll have to admit though TERA has got me hooked more than any new game has in a very long time and I'm not sure if I can stand the ugly graphics and bad community myself after playing TERA. I don't think any game out right now is gonna hold a candle to the way TERA looks and plays and I would really be pissed if I waste 60 bucks on a game that I will not wanna play after playing TERA. Comments?

I realize that most of the TERA players are not gonna even see this because we are all having to much fun in game and not trolling game forums.

I hate to say it, but that's jealousy. Jealousy that TERA will never be half the game GW2 in its starting areas is. I should know, I used to cheer for TERA to pull through but it was nothing more than wishful thinking. GW2's sense of living, breathing world completely blows TERA's "world" out of the water. 

In GW2 there are so many nooks and crannies to every zone/city/outpost.

Technically, TERA is superior. Art direction wise I'd say GW2 has the leg up on this. Because of how atmospheric many places are. Technically GW2 is no slouch either. This guy () goes in depth about the different features of the engine which, if you're not paying attention, could miss or take for granted.

Play TERA until you feel fed up. THEN try out another game. Since you're having so much issue with playing a second MMO on the side. Or wait for trials to become available.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Tera feels like u playing aion/lineage 2 just more action combat.. graphics are great of course,but plain,simple and boring as it is... guild wars 2 has more detailed,artistic graphics ,more realistic thats why think you should prefer to try the GW2 ,its as well has action combat.. which i find more fast paced than tera :P ,friend of myn (60 years old gonna try it.. he still playing aion though)
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I never thought tera graphics where all that good.. ugly low rez textrues for the terrain and buildings.. character models where nice i guess a bit too asian for me hehe and the world design was pretty good but nothing special.

I think GW2 looks better graphics wise as they use higher res textures and the world has more detail to it, they also make use of bump maps and spec maps on the terrain.  but I still think AOC and TSW are still the best looking mmorpgs out there graphically that is... art style well thats down to peoples tastes..

As for game play i guess a lot of people playing tera like the action style combat, they will will that in GW2 as its your standard tab based game..

Wrender you will gain 10-15 fps with GW2 with that GPU id assume. Ive owned almost every gpu in the last 2 generations (including gtx 460 1g). You are bottle necked on your cpu anyhow. Guild wars 2 will run like butter, dont worry.

Hero Evermore

Originally posted by Caldrin

I never thought tera graphics where all that good.. ugly low rez textrues for the terrain and buildings.. 

Oh come on... I played both games. It's all fine and dandy that you like GW2 more, but Tera and low textures? That's simply not true.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Good Morning.

The way you state things you seem to be very Pro Tera..very anti GW2. Honestly Tera seems a bit like Aion. Took me all of 3-4 days to stop playing. Did the first dungeon and knew it wasn't for me. Combat is very nicely done except the stop to cast skills part. That I don't like so much. Tera's graphics are...shiny I think. Very clean. Hm from what I played I'd give it a 7/10.

Guild Wars 2, the art style is different. I like it...not as clean as Tera's but more paint brushy..so I can see how you might not like it. We haven't really delved into the armor part and the dyes. Some say Tera's armors are better. I didnt like how say on my mystic the armor was one thing covered chest and down to my legs...I was a Human btw. Still I like the dyes. I think Tera has more dyes I know GW2 has like 400+.

GW2 I have to say beats Tera hands down in everything else though. Just the way the game is made is just better. However given how you seem to be on the Tera tip I would say don't waste your money. Or rather watch clips, and look at images of GW2 and do some research to see if it is for you. But if you like Tera so much and you are having a blast...why bother with GW2?

Oh yes before I forget. It's all subjective and it of course is my opinion.

Originally posted by Caldrin

I never thought tera graphics where all that good.. ugly low rez textrues for the terrain and buildings.. character models where nice i guess a bit too asian for me hehe and the world design was pretty good but nothing special.

I think GW2 looks better graphics wise as they use higher res textures and the world has more detail to it, they also make use of bump maps and spec maps on the terrain.  but I still think AOC and TSW are still the best looking mmorpgs out there graphically that is... art style well thats down to peoples tastes..

As for game play i guess a lot of people playing tera like the action style combat, they will will that in GW2 as its your standard tab based game..

WHAT? Show me a good screenshot of good terrain and foliage textures in GW2. 

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

To each its own.

Graphics style is a matter of taste, so is gameplay.

Unfortunately, the "perfect game" doesn't exist, so the only reasonable solution is to try games yourself, list the strong points and weak points each game has, and pick the one featuring the strong points that are more important to you.

These 2 games are like apples and oranges, really - I think it's almost impossible for someone to sort of like both: you can just love one, they cater to different audience with different interests/priorities when it comes down to gaming. Not saying one is better over the other per se.

For the record, I have several thousands of hours logged on GW1, forced myself through over 20 hours of gw2 and I just couldn't "feel it". Tera I "felt it" from the first 10 minutes, even in the lag of KR server, way before western beta.

With my guildies we all tried gw2, 1 dropped tera for it - so as you can see, a "tera player" can even "switch side" - it's really all matter of taste and priorities: those of us who didn't like gw2 wouldn't play it not even if someone paid us to do so, and the same can be told about most gw2 players about tera anyways.

Wish people focused more on having fun doing whatever they like, instead of raging at each other for liking "the other game".

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by vee41

I have watched a few videos and done a bit of research and yes I will prob end up buying it at some point. Also was wondering how good a computer you need to see it in all it's glory as mine is not the greatest but man TERA looks sweet even at low end settings. I'm on a damn E-Machine low end dual core AMD with a Nvidia 460 GT card. Only getting like 30 FPS in tera with current settings but looks and plays great! How will it run GW2 has yet to be seen.

it should run on 20-30 fps,graphic cars isnt much important in gw 2,since u have core 2 duo that will likely bring u 30-20 fps on higest settings and maybe 40 at mid/low

Originally posted by NBlitz

I hate to say it, but that's jealousy. Jealousy that TERA will never be half the game GW2 in its starting areas is. I should know, I used to cheer for TERA to pull through but it was nothing more than wishful thinking. GW2's sense of living, breathing world completely blows TERA's "world" out of the water. 

Technically, TERA is superior. Art direction wise I'd say GW2 has the leg up on this. Because of how atmospheric many places are. Technically GW2 is no slouch either. This guy () goes in depth about the different features of the engine which, if you're not paying attention, could miss or take for granted.

Play TERA until you feel fed up. THEN try out another game. Since you're having so much issue with playing a second MMO on the side. Or wait for trials to become available.

Jealous? No. People just enjoy the combat that much compared to GW2. People enjoy different things in games.

Originally posted by Postcards
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Jealous? No. People just enjoy the combat that much compared to GW2. People enjoy different things in games.

I didn't mention combat. If you go by my post history you'll see that there's one thing I don't like in GW2 and that is the combat. Whereas in TERA I didn't have the same issues.

Love Tera Combat. Love Guild wars 2 combat. Combat wasn't enough to keep me in Tera and I will always look back at Tera with thoughts of "what it could have been". No proper end game. Bluehole will be working on a new game soon and stop making content for Tera because low sub numbers=less money to buy content=less content created for Tera. Sadly that is the state of Tera. RIP imho.

Hero Evermore