Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With pass MMOs like DF,SWTOR,Tera,WoW,AoC, Warhamer,, how long does the honeymoon period of a MMO la

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Well this seems to be a trend now days. A MMO with lots of attention comes out and launches with lots of sells, but the population drops after the honeymoon period comes.

But the time between launch and the honeymoon period varies from MMO to MMO. So how do you determing how long the till the honeymoon period of a MMO ends?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

However long it takes to get to endgame.

Usually then do they realize that the leveling up wasnt all that extraordinary and that they now get to look forward to the same mechanics theyve been playing for the last 10 years while at endgame.  Yes even if they remove gear gring.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Same length I play every game. Until im bored. Usually 2-6 months. Only a few games have I put years into.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
          The honeymoon always varies in length of time, but I do know that they only get one chance with me......I can probably count on one hand the number of games I have given a second look after a sub-par first impression.....This is why it is most critical to get it right the first time because we most likely aren't coming back if they don't.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

for me it's less and less every time.

take GW2 for example. haven't even gottern to level 10 and i'm already getting hung up on shit i dont like.

if it feels like i've done it already it starts getting boring fast. Very few mmos actually feel fresh and innovative anymore.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

for me it's less and less every time.

take GW2 for example. haven't even gottern to level 10 and i'm already getting hung up on shit i dont like.

if it feels like i've done it already it starts getting boring fast. Very few mmos actually feel fresh and innovative anymore.

Yes indeed.  Gimmicks are just not cutting it anymore.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Seems like these days it's about 8 hours of gameplay. =/

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Depends on the game, I guess

With AoC the honeymoon period ended as soon as people left Tortage (starter area) and bumped into how buggy and unfinished the game was past there.

With ToR seems the honeymoon ended when people finished the story, and I fear something like that is happening to TSW.

What can men do against such reckless hate?