Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG for older Mac?

JekyltooJekyltoo Member UncommonPosts: 3

FYI, I'm running OS X 10.5.8. I can't run the latest Java. I can't run Bootcamp (no Windows!). I'd love to have something newer and better (and faster!) but there's nothing in the budget for awhile and... I'd still love to play. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Your options are pretty limited. 10.5.8 is a rather old version of OS X. You could try Ryzom, Warhammer, EVE or WoW. Can't think of anything else that would run.

EDIT: You could also try something browser-based. Or Flash-based like Wakfu.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

As much as I hate to recommend this game, WoW may be your best bet. 

On a different note, get ready for the idiots to flame you for gaming on a Mac.  Don't blame them though, they can't help themselves.  I for one would have converted entirely to Mac if they were cheaper... Kinda hard to afford that Macbook Pro with a retina display when I have 3 kids to feed and two of them are teenagers.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Looks like you can no longer play WoW reliably with the recent patch. In the patch notes, it's mentioned that OS X 10.5 is no longer supported.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24
    It is old, but was a fun game back in the DAoC era.... Neverwinter Nights.  They still have a community estimated to be around 90K.  Server sizes tend to be @65-150 people per.

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I used to run WoW under Wine for Linux. What about Wine under OSX?

Although I do realize an aging machine is probably not the best choice for this. and  that was long ago, but it worked.

• JekyltooJekyltoo Member UncommonPosts: 3

Thanks for the responses. Guess things are as bad as I feared - just typing it up made me realize how bad it looks :) I will check out your suggestions (still open to more, though!).

J

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Judging from the sysreqs, I'd say your kit would run VO:

http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/faq_tech.html#reqs

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance