Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At least it wont go the dreaded f2p right???

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This wont even come close to wow numbers.. people have already burnt through a shit laod of the content in the 3 days its been out.. give it a month and people will stop playing because they have nothing else to do other than PVP.. maybe a couple of moths if they want to  fill all their character slots..

Anyway the OP is right with most of his post..

The heart quests are my biggest gripe about this game so far, they have got to be some of the most boring repetitive quests i have ever come accross, darkfall kill 600 zombies of course tops them but not by much..

One quest i came accross was carry food past some rabbit warrans and scare off rabbits.. if you dont then they somehow knock you over and steal the sack of food? anyway sure it sounds stupid but was quite fun for the first 5 bags.. 20 odd bags later my brain starts to slowly dribble out of my ears.. another 10 bags later im brain dead... There are so many heart quests out there that are like this its just numbing.. they are just not fun at all... im glad your not forced to do them.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Gaborik

Well at least it wont go the dreaded f2p (thats what some people these days judge a game a failure or not).

F2P?   You sold some of your old games to buy GW2 and yet you call it " free ".  

GW2 is like all the other cash shop games.  It is designed around the P2W business model.   The only difference is they are asking players to pay $60 up front.  

Just so we have an understanding........

B2P:   Box cost and/or expansion cost(s)

P2P:  Subscription cost and possibly expansion costs

P2W:  Cash Shop

Last time i checked, there was no way to buy an advantage in the cash shop. Yes, there are exp-boosters for mob kills, but mobs give such bad exp that you probably level up about 10x faster just doing the dynamic events, which anyone can join at any time. Not to mention they're actually FUN!

As a sandbox-fan (UO and SWG specifically), this is the first Themepark i've actually enjoyed. My only real gripe would be that it is zoned, rather than truly open world really.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Well at least it wont go the dreaded f2p (thats what some people these days judge a game a failure or not).  I traded in a few old xbox 360s for GW2 so I am not too disapointed.  [mod edit] Its fun now, I have been playing off and on all weekend.  There is no way this game can keep up the hype in a month or so, which is fine I guess because there is no sub. 

Combat: Its not bad but not even close to revolutionary [mod edit]

Quest: Its still the same old thing, except now instead of number there is a bar that tells you when you get close to your goal. I hope its not the same over and over find new area > find the heart > kill, pick up, or follow until the bar is full until max level.

Crafting: Again nothing revolution to go all crazy about

Mounts: Umm wait there are none

Events are fun but would hate to try this game in a month when there is nobody around in the starting zones.

Zones: feel very linear, very spoon fed, I also hope once you get to higher level areas there is more freedom to explore.

I find the game to be fun, this game is not what [mod edit] have claimed it to be not even close. If you going to compare other MMO's to this I really dont see how it can be called amazing.

Agreed.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    this is a revenge post. The OP's history clearly shows a bias towards SWTOR ("GW2 -1") he didn't like it before he claimed to buy and play it and spoke praise about SWTOR over and over in his posts. Mods i salute you for having to deal with the barrage of nonsense coming from these people. 

Your right I did praise TOR but you must have not read my most recent post where I stated I was wrong about TOR. How I said it wasnt that good of a game. I am sure when you talk about "those people" clearly your not talking about someone who would say he was wrong. Nice tro!!attemped buddy.

So if you were wrong about TOR, you probably are wrong about GW2

So we should ignore your opinion because you are a flip flopper

Way to nuke your own credibility lol

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This wont even come close to wow numbers.. people have already burnt through a shit laod of the content in the 3 days its been out.. give it a month and people will stop playing because they have nothing else to do other than PVP.

Yeah, these people you're talking about are sponsored pro player teams that move from one game to another and are paid for beating content competitively.

I'm at 7% map completion with one character so far and I'm not even some ultra-casual player who logs 2-3 times a week for a couple hours (I know many people who do). I can play maybe 30-40 hours a week these days.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Caldrin

im glad your not forced to do them.

You're not forced to do anything in GW2. Karma is universal.

Besides you always have several ways to complete any heart quest. I'm quite sure it's true for the quest you're talking about as well.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by muthax

this is a revenge post. The OP's history clearly shows a bias towards SWTOR ("GW2 -1") he didn't like it before he claimed to buy and play it and spoke praise about SWTOR over and over in his posts. Mods i salute you for having to deal with the barrage of nonsense coming from these people. 

Your right I did praise TOR but you must have not read my most recent post where I stated I was wrong about TOR. How I said it wasnt that good of a game. I am sure when you talk about "those people" clearly your not talking about someone who would say he was wrong. Nice tro!!attemped buddy.

Oh I enjoyed TOR all the way to 50 plus a month. But after that it didnt really have what I was hoping for. I based my like for the game on what I played in Betas. When I say it wasnt a good game I am referring to end game content. I understand fanb@$ like you are never ever wrong and unable to have your own opinions and cant handle when someone else doesnt agree with your fanb@!$ club.
  • EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157

Why does everyone say GW2 isn't presenting anything new. It's bringing quite a bit to the table.

For instance:

Your skills affect everyone, grouped or not. I can lay down an aoe that buffs or gives quickness and it affects everyone that runs through it(allies). There are elementalists that can spawn weapons for themselves and then an extra one on the ground that ANYONE can pick up. You could be some random stranger walking buy and pick it up and use it without limitations.

Also Items in the world can be picked up and used as weapons. Pick up a crow bar and go smack enemies  with it.

I may be wrong but I haven't seen any MMO's with weapon based skills and allowed you to just swap weapons on the fly without having to go to your inventory. Not only can you swap on the fly but swapping changed your build entirely.

Don't think I've seen a game that even attempted to remove the trinity(when I say 'dont think i've seen...its be cause "I" havent seen it). Guild Wars 2 has classes that follow an archetype of sorts, but you don't need every class in a party. make an all ranger or all thief party if you want. Or mix things up...do what you want.

I can't say I've seen a game world that put this much of a reward on exploration. You can literally go up several levels by exploring. Every level I've gotten I've made sure it was by exploration. I'll do my storyline and some dynamic events..and right before I level I'll go hit a waypoint or two.

Personal story: I've seen some games try to make it seem as though the player is important in some way, but not necessarily give them their own story.

We affect things around us in a permanent way. I walked through kessex hills and there were houses and buildings on fire. I fixed the houses put out the fires saved the town. and guess what....that town is still saved. I go back there now and they still thank me. Most other games you come up to that same village on fire kill some mobs and they 'say' that youve saved them but as you walk away you look over your shoulder and see that its still on fire.

Dynamic events: these have been compared alot to rifts, and I can see where the comparison can be made, but they're really not that closely related. The rifts were sort of random and just spawned up. You closed the rift and then went about your business. DE's in GW2 are caused by something. Centaurs run out of their camp, all rallied up and ready to smash things! They run down to a farm and start to burn the crops. a few seconds later the DE starts asking you to save the farm. When you save it....IF you save it the DE chains off and you chase the centaurs down to their camp and whipe them out. If you DON'T succeed then they burn the farm down and take it over. That chains off into another event where you have to take the farm back.

Is it revolutionizing things I say yes. I think people have lost the definitin of revolutionary so I will define it.

rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y

   [rev-uh-loo-shuh-ner-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural rev·o·lu·tion·ar·ies.

adjective

of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution,  or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.

radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.

source Dictionary.com.

my favorite is number 2. Oustside the established procedure. The established procedure was "talk to this guy, pick up the quest, kill x y z, turn in quest." Guild Wars 2 has gone outside that procedure.

this same thing could be applied to everything they've done thus far.

So I say yes GW2 is bringing new things to the table. Its revolutionizing. Whether you like it or not.

Oh I enjoyed TOR all the way to 50 plus a month. But after that it didnt really have what I was hoping for. I based my like for the game on what I played in Betas. When I say it wasnt a good game I am referring to end game content. I understand fanb@$ like you are never ever wrong and unable to have your own opinions and cant handle when someone else doesnt agree with your fanb@!$ club.
    [mod edit]

Pretty sure my post was not hate. I stated I am having fun with it now but its not the almighty savior mmo you think it is. There really is nothing revolutionary about. I am sorry you get this worked about someone disagreeing with. News flash buddy it wont be the last time so wipe away your tears and move on ok.
  • ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I bet you will see an in game store pop up eventually.  They have to generate revenue somehow.  I'm sure some guildwars ceo somewhere is counting all the purchases and grumbling how much more money they'd be getting if people paid a subscription.
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by nilden

I wonder how many sales were because it did not have a subscription?

GW2 being buy to play makes a lot of subscription games look bad. Honestly with Planetside 2 on the horizon being free as well anything new coming out better be pretty amazing if it tries to release with a sub fee.

Except they're making 3x as much money from the cash shop currently in the first couple months than most other sub games do in a month. However, sub based MMOs without cash-shops are better investments over time IF you put the money in to begin with.

Nothing is ever free, sorry to burst your bubble.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Wait what?!? You get to dodge, and can heal yourself!!!!

Lies!!!! You just just hatin!!!

Of course I am, you can't come on this site and have an opinion on a game that is as hyped as GW2. 

* Not the 1st game where you can dodge, and heal yourself*

I see what you did there.

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Better investment if you can maintain 10 million subscribers.  Hell even 1 million subscribers paying 15/month is alot of money :D

[mod edit]

Pretty sure my post was not hate. I stated I am having fun with it now but its not the almighty savior mmo you think it is. There really is nothing revolutionary about. I am sorry you get this worked about someone disagreeing with. News flash buddy it wont be the last time so wipe away your tears and move on ok.

[mod edit]

This is my first post about GW2 mate not sure what your reading but wasnt me in any anti-gw2 forums. Nice attemped at tro!!ing again. I have played it un my post there were actually questions about if it got better at higher levels. Instead of going all Fanb@! On me and saying i posted here i posted there you could have been mature about your response i understand people like you cant do that when the other person does not agree with you 100%.
    [mod edit]

I know they can I encourage them to go look what I said about GW2 before this. I encourage you to go look at what I said about GW2 before, go ahead little buddy go look. Again I did not bash your little preshish Just stated some early thoughts about a game on a forum. You are aware thats what forums are for right? Its not always going to be roses for you and your games you know that right?
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

NCSoft 2012 Q3

GW makes up 1% of their profit.

This pay model only works if the company has other sources of revenue (Aion 28%, L1 45%).

On its own it just wouldn't work.

Now, if you truly love the game (GW2), spend some money in the cash shop once in awhile. Posting saying how good the game is reminds me of the proverb  "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

All you cheap a$$ freeloaders are a detriment to the games you profess to love.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

If the company feels the game ins't doing well, and that boxes are too much of a barrier of entry, they might ago fully F2P.

I myself don't believe it. I price drop will come first obviously, but don't expct full F2P. With that said, P2P games are actually B2P2P, and they remove both barriers, so it's not 100% impossible.

Also, while GW1 is still B2P, many older mmos are still P2P. And, the mmo market is switching to full f2p, meaning, even in SWTOR's case, you can play others games without paying anything upfront at all.

But like is said, i don't see it happening, unless NCsoft's expectations aren't meet or something.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kaledus

Zones: feel very linear, very spoon fed, I also hope once you get to higher level areas there is more freedom to explore.

I think you really need to rethink these two.. Mounts are not necessary because teleportation exists. It also makes everything feel intentionally bigger. As for zones, they are as open as you can pretty much get. This game is also about exploring unless you have forgotten that..

Yeah, complaining there are no mounts - a mechanic to speed up travel - in a game with instant teleportation is disingenuous, if not laughable.

The 'spoon fed' thing is kinda humorous as it comes on the tail end of the lengthy 'Game Lacks Direction' thread. It's clear that people will go to any extreme just to validate their stance.

EDIT:

I just re-read the rest of the guys responses and his counter for every point presented is that the person is a troll or a fanboi. Can't say what I'm thinking because around here it's bannable, but....yeah, y'all know where I'm going with this. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think you really need to rethink these two.. Mounts are not necessary because teleportation exists. It also makes everything feel intentionally bigger. As for zones, they are as open as you can pretty much get. This game is also about exploring unless you have forgotten that..

Yeah, complaining there are no mounts - a mechanic to speed up travel - in a game with instant teleportation is disingenuous, if not laughable.

The 'spoon fed' thing is kinda humorous as it comes on the tail end of the lengthy 'Game Lacks Direction' thread. It's clear that people will go to any extreme just to validate their stance.

Yeah the whole post (and the other hundreds of hate posts he wrote) is just an attempt at raining on people's parade, but it comes out as a lot of straw grasping, making it involuntarily comic.

I think some kids can't cope with people having fun with something they don't like. 

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Screw instant teleportation. Mounts are more enjoayble way of traveling around.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

GW2 fanboism aside, what sub game right now is better than GW2? Name one. Thats right you can't. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

In the spirit of the title (Looks in urban dictionary for translation) "UB Trollin' Bro!"... ^^ 

GW2 is actually quite entertaining, but then I tend to like theme park games if they are done well.  Given that its not a subscription business model, hopefully we will not see the typical spike crash, that so many MMO's have experienced over the last few years.  Lets hope that Anet is much more timely in their update cycle than they were with GW1. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SanHor

Screw instant teleportation. Mounts are more enjoayble way of traveling around.

See, that's a stance I can completely understand.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

NCSoft 2012 Q3

GW makes up 1% of their profit.

This pay model only works if the company has other sources of revenue (Aion 28%, L1 45%).

On its own it just wouldn't work.

a new box game make a world of difference

and i think GW2 will sell better than GW1

Ncsoft 2006 Q2:  GW1 Factions campaign released

GW1 is 31% of domestic sales

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/ncsoft-announces-2006-2nd-quarter-t10017611.html

By region, domestic sales amounted to KRW 52.9 billion (US$54.8 million), a decline of 4% from the previous quarter and 3% from the previous year. Sales in North America and Europe recorded strong growth of 39% and 144% to KRW 15.7 billion (US$16.3 million) and KRW 9.3 billion (US$9.6 million), lifted by the successful introduction of Guild Wars Factions. On a year to year comparison, sales in North America grew by 10% and in Europe grew by 192%. Steady sales of the Lineage series and Guild Wars led to sales of KRW 7.5 billion (US$7.8 million) in Japan, similar to the first quarter and the same period one year ago. The percentage breakdown of regional sales show almost half of all sales occurring overseas: Korea with 55% of total sales, North America with 18%, Europe with 11%, Japan with 9% and royalties with 7%.

By game, Lineage and Lineage II posted sales of KRW 28.5 billion (US$29.5 million) and KRW 28.4 billion (US$29.4 million), down 5% and 3% respectively from the previous quarter and unchanged year to year. Sales of City of Heroes(R)/City of Villains(R) were down quarter to quarter by 15% to KRW 5.5 billion (US$5.7 million) and down 5% year to year. Sales of Guild Wars showed a significant increase quarter to quarter, growing by 160% to KRW 16.4 billion (US$17 million) while growing 71% year over year. The strong numbers were spurred by the successful April launch of Guild Wars Factions in North America and Europe.

Feel free to report, you probably end up banned for trying to start a flame war

And anyone can have fun picking their favorite hate post from here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/808473

I think therer isn't a single post there that isn't some sad attempt to bad mouth the game.

What you doing in this forum?? Shouldn't you being hanging out in a forum for a game that doesn't make you ANGRY?

Feel free to report, you probably end up banned for trying to start a flame war

And anyone can have fun picking their favorite hate post from here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/808473

I think therer isn't a single post there that isn't some sad attempt to bad mouth the game.

What you doing in this forum?? Shouldn't you being hanging out in a forum for a game that doesn't make you ANGRY?

Again where exactly are the post where I bash GW2 again?  Yep look at that the 2 or 3 other post I have about GW2 I asked if being a PvE player if I would like the game.  Nice try there buddy...keep them coming.  Kinda scary your going to stalk my past post like that.  I guess if you going to stalk me you might as well read them.  You need help mate, major major help.