Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not going to live up to the hype.

1235»

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by xx19kilosold I dont think its going to fall below TORtanic levels of let down but this isnt a sustainable model of game for the MMO sphere.  Its an interesting single player experience but it feels a little to similar to GW 1 when it omes to the "MMO" aspects needed to sustain a community. This game is already not living up to the hype.
     If GW2 is not a sustainable model for a game...then what is?

Apparently world of warcraft.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by xx19kilosold

I dont think its going to fall below TORtanic levels of let down but this isnt a sustainable model of game for the MMO sphere.  Its an interesting single player experience but it feels a little to similar to GW 1 when it omes to the "MMO" aspects needed to sustain a community.

This game is already not living up to the hype.

Great post OP. 

Im learning new stuff everyday im on these forums. 

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

[ ... ] This game is already not living up to the hype.

Well... for me it already is.

Kthxbye. See ya never. =)

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

I dont think its going to fall below TORtanic levels of let down but this isnt a sustainable model of game for the MMO sphere.  Its an interesting single player experience but it feels a little to similar to GW 1 when it omes to the "MMO" aspects needed to sustain a community.

I ask you to use "I think" in every sentence you write here. This game have more "MMO" feel than any other game out there.

1. In traditional MMO like TOR, WOW, Rift etc even when you fight next to people you really fight alone because you can't even hit someone else mob or they will scream "KS, no KS, KS, no KS!!". In GW2 when I'm in the area I can just join the fight. Whole map is in one big party. Everyone can attack any mob. Exp etc is divided base on damage and everyone can loot that mob. More MMO that any other MMO will ever be.

2. In traditional MMO like TOR, WOW, Rift etc when you take a quest - it's your quest. You fight alone and you stay alone. If you have 2 friends in party you fight with 2 friends. That's it. In GW2 when you enter event area you see people gathering from all over the place. And when event is on-going, like protecting caravan, more people join along the way. What we start with 2-3 people we end with 30 people. And after that those people help me with "challenge" quest and we talk a little, exchange some info etc. And there IS NO INSTANCES until now (lvl 20) except class story.

3. In traditional MMO like TOR, WOW, RIft etc you can trigger some event called quest and it's your "personal event" or it's shared by your party. Mostly up to 3-4 additional people. In Rift everyone can trigger event and sometimes events just happen. And it's affecting entire area.

Whoever played beta KNOWS what to expect. And for me - GW2 is more MMO than any other MMO out there. If you see it as single player experience - you probably never notice people around you because of your past experience with WOW or TOR when help of others is not needed unless it's a party.

If this is not MMO then I have no idea what is MMO mate.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Citalkay
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Aording to my guild and myself the game is by all accounts a huge success. Gear grinders won't be happy because they can no longer distinguish with gear alone. They also have to be skilled. :) [mod edit]

It's a shame most people find the game a disappointment.

What a completely stupid thing to say..

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    well for a themepark MMORPG its pretty good.. nothing new or special.. saying that after the first few days over half my guild are already getting bored of the pve side of things.. including me but at least we have the world pvp..
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The game has been quite a pleasant surprise.

As for living up to the hype.......
    Who cares? Just play it and have fun without the need to qualify the "level" of fun you might have. It's not like it's a game that is borderline failure and you are really trying to weigh the cost vs risk factor.

There's been no risk for the majority of players. It's fun. Really.

Still not convinced that the MMORPG.COM community is a viable representation of the playerbase's overall opinion? In the game, No one is biotchin in chat about "This game SUX!" Everyone is loving it. I'm in a big guild on a big server and everyone in vent is having a blast. I teamed up with some guys from Work IRL and we ran around for a few hrs on new alts the other night. We had a blast. The game is fun. It's a solid entertainment value at 60 bucks.....Cant go wrong.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The game is 60 bucks and between all the betas and stress tests has given me more enjoyment than Skyrim, which I paid the same price for.  I like MMOs, I like GW2, it lives up to the hype for me but people who want a treadmill won't find it... most companies don't put that kind of endgame into their product unless it's to extract sub money out of you.  Otherwise, the game is a completionist's dream come true, the combat is always fun, there's a sense of adventure most MMO players haven't had in years, and for me, it's the first game in a long while that all my friends are playing.

Doom and gloom all you want, I don't get it personally.  As Icewhite said, it's great to see happy gamers for a change.  The best part is that it's paying for a great Dev team to make more and better products in the future.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I don't care for the game myself, but just wanted to add that it's making me happy to see so many people around here enjoying something for once. I wish GW2 and it's community all the best and think it's going to do well for years to come. Have fun you crazy kids. :)
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

WOOOOOWWW

mom look!! a thread full of personal opinions!!!

• MelodicMelodic Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

And somewhere in the middle, there are those of us who may not have initially been hyped. We were burned a few too many times and didn't feel the need to be disappointed yet again.

So, we approached GW2 with healthy skepticism., and in many cases caught hell here on these boards for it too.

Well. I'm here to admit. The game is fun. I want to play it more.

Is there any other sentiment that sums it up?

"I want to play it more."

Oh sure, I have issues with it. I think the DEs get repetitive, I don't like that we can't trade between players, the launch has been riddled with minor glitchyness. Lion Post was broken. Servers were down Sat morning. A lot of things to point a finger at but after all that is said and done..........

I want to play it more.

And I will continue to do so for as long as I feel this way. Then when I don't I'll stop and still feel like the game was a success.

QFT

I played in beta tests and wasn't that impressed by it that much. Was kind nice, but then again I didn't have that much time to waste on tests(work and other games on hands). I didn't cave in the hype and was rather spectical about Guild Wars 2 however I bought it and I don't regret it even a bit! 

Now when I got my hands on the final product and spent many, many happy hours in Tyria... oh my! Even crafting grow on me! It's so much fun. Combat once perfected with one build - glorious! DE may be repetitive once you start to grind(for some stragne reason), but so far it's awesome! WvWvW may be tedious by the fact that there's a lot of walking, but that feel when you win another tower/supply line/etc with your group. Complete map exploring - I always thought of it as a waste of time. You wasted your time on exploring while you could get faster to endgame... the hell with that in GW2! Let's explore! No pressure! I can enjoy the end game PvP anytime I want :)  

It's first mmo in YEARS(I think last one was vanilla WoW) that made me think about it in sleep, work and in every opportunity. I want to play it more. 

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Mephster
    It is just good for the moment, the flavor of the month. We have people already hitting max level and blown through a very good portion of the content and it is not even a week old. It is a very obvious sign this game will not last long at all as many have already said.

The guy was max lvl because of his whole guild giving all mats to him. He lvl'd mainly through craftin and hasn't seen the end of the map. Even then I'm sure his % wold completion won't be high at all.

Even the most dedicated 24/7 players who play in shifts on the same account, who were playing every beta trying to find out the fastest ways to level, eating every + exp consumable and buying + exp boosts from the store will take way more time to complete the whole game with 100% map completion, having every dungeon armor set and a decent PvP ranking. Even then after that there are way more achievements to be unlocked...

Being lvl 80 means nothing in this game... but the haters will never understand.

In the end of the day, me and all my MMO friend enjoy it to the max. That's all i really care about. I'm confident this game will do well even though one game will never appeal to every player in the same level... I know our feeling about GW2 is honest and valid, and something I haven't felt in many many years playing a game... and if I feel this way... I sure won't be the only one.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Considering my hype level was the game will at worst be a source of entertainment for 2 months, maybe longer, We will have to wait and see till October 25th. Granted I know at that time I will have breaks for RE6, Assassins Creed 3, XCOM Enemy Unknown, but whatever.

Point is the hype is only what you let it get to. Of course for someone out there, they game won't meet their hype. I mean some peoples hype seemed to be that Arenanet had somehow captured Jesus's soul and imprinted it into a game that would bring joy to all, so its not really fair to say it failed to meet that hype. Others will complain the game doesn't have as much content as WoW, using a basis of WoW in its current form compared to GW2 instead of when WoW launched. I could go on and on for reasons it won't meet some peoples' hype, but really, who cares. As long as you like the game and the majority of the people playing do, the game should be fine.

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by spookydom
    I don't care for the game myself, but just wanted to add that it's making me happy to see so many people around here enjoying something for once. I wish GW2 and it's community all the best and think it's going to do well for years to come. Have fun you crazy kids. :)

Thank you sir!

Your post almost made me sad you don't play GW2. A community would always welcome people who can have such a clear view on things as you. Whatever you are up to, I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I did the last few days with my friends in GW2.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    Originally posted by Creslin321

If GW2 is not a sustainable model for a game...then what is?

apparently there is no sustainable model.  PPL have poo poo'd, Freemium, B2P, P2P, and everything else.  LOL, in fact, they are all losing money and they will all be closing up shop in the next 30 days.

I guess its hard for either of you to acctually READ what I wrote?

I was talking about sustaining a community. This game will end up being a giant lobby for pvp queues and matches in 3-4 months. 

No doubt the fanboi's will poo poo any opinions that run counter to thier own, it happens with every game and GW 2 will be no different but when the new car smell wears off the truth will be a painfull pill for some to swallow.

When WOW first came out,  I never once in my wildest dream would thought that WOW would become what it is today. 

I played it for 4 month then I quit and that was in Vanilla. I wasn't into MMO then, schools and after school activites kept me from playing it. 

But really, who first saw WOW and said that it will take over the world by storm, I only knew of Blizzard as the Developers that made RTS games called Warcraft and recently came out with Diablo and an Futuristic take on Warcraft called Starcraft.

In SWTOR, the Guild I was in, went from 20 players down to 10 down to 5 in the first 2 weeks, no one ever talks except how boring and unbalance this is, or how someone found an exploit. 

In GW2, the guild I am currently in, all we talk about is how different this game is, how we should get together and tackle this map, or that an event is happening and that this will lead into a giant boss fight and that people should get there asap. Or how there is a secret chest somewhere or there is a jumping puzzle and this is how you do it. 

Thats just a very different feeling, its like all the other MMO's were preparing me for this MMO. 

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

Just another troll QQ

• Originally posted by ChrisReitz

Just another troll QQ

shake and baked talladega nights Baby!

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

In reply to your topic title...'nothing ever does'.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

At this stage in SWTOR I was already starting to feel a bit bored and let down.

I am not yet bored or let down by GW2.

Therefore, no, it has not fallen below Tortanic levels of let down for me.

But thanks for taking an interest :)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Players from WoW just missed gear drind forever so they are worried to fail in GW2 cause they need skill not grind...