It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I am a long time lurker on these forms and enjoy reading the good and the bad that this community offers. My first post is a help-request. I simply can not decide whether or not to pull the trigger on GW2. I have read quite a bit about the game but I have not participated in the betas; I just cant make up my mind whether this is the place I want to spend my mmo time. I suppose my likes and dislikes in the context of existing mmos might help.
1) I am gun-shy right now. I was fired up for TSW; I found the questing to be incredibly fun; however, when I hit end game in TSW I suddenly realized...the game world does not feel like a persistent-living world. This reminds me more of a global agenda style lobby and I really don't have much of a connection to the environment (unlike LOTRO...which to me has an incredible game world..albeit less than incredible combat).
2) World of Warcraft - I really like the races and classes in this game and the leveling experience (1-70 anyway) is an absolute blast; I enjoy the LFG tool as it allows for eascy access to dungeons. I am a causal player with a job and family so being heavily involved in guild activities is really not possible for me.
3) Warhammer - This is the only mmo I am playing right now..I love the PvP but I stick to tier 1 (I start new toons when I level-out of tier 1). I just dont have the time to be competitive in the upper tiers. I also LOVE the PQ system..this is so much fun for me.
4) Aion - I liked this game for about 20 levels...the mechanics were good but the world felt...soulless. I just couldnt create an attachment to the game that kept me wanting to log-in
5) TSW - Already discussed a bit...I will add some here.. I liked the questing, did not like the end game or the "world" itself. I found the open class system to be a bit dissapointing. I like the idea of specialists who really have to work and focus on a dedicated class and that is what you bring to a group. I suppose this critique also applies to Rift with their soul system.
6)Rift - I love the graphics (graphics are actually pretty important to me ina a game) and I love the rift-events; class system not my favorite as mentioned above. I played this game until around level 40 and quit..just never bought into the game-world (this is apparently a common problem I have with MMOs)
7) Fallen Earth - I loved the crafting in this game and I loved the wide open spaces in the zones. However, the environment was so very drab that I really did not want to log in after a few weeks.
8)SWTOR - This game was fun to me for one-story line..and then I could not make myslef play again. I had no desire to grind end-game. Graphics were ok...classes were a bit boring.
So given my dislikes and likes based on MMOs I have played...is GW2 a game I might enjoy?