Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 : Playing a MMO with a different mindset

k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Well, 10 years of the same old mmo model can grow a bit persistant in our minds. So here's a list of things to think about / do, so you could enjoy the game a bit more. Feel free to add yours in this thread !

- most important of all : wanderer mindset strongly suggested. This game is clearly made for wanderers and lurkers, whatever they are.

- take your time, don't rush anything

- explore your class mechanics, it's when you start to master your class that fights become really exciting

- classes are created with quite different gameplays, which can be tailored for different types of gamers, so if you don't feel yours, try another

- talk to NPCs, a lot of them can trigger dynamic events that you wouldn't have suspected (good example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes)

- have some fun with group questing, this can trigger some massive battles (groups attract groups)

- search for challenge by yourself, ANet does reward risk taking : there are a lot of secret places, for example, that you could only discover by taking weird routes, platforms. There is also a mechanic that gives you better loot quality if you take on higher level mobs than yours : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5249845#5249845

- forget that it's a MMO, just take it as a new game, without searching how better/worst it is than any other one

- don't force yourself to do things. If you want to skip a heart/event, skip it. (I skipped the crafting part myself, because I just wanted some action this week end) This is how you will build your progression into the game, and how it will make it so special to suddenly find a secret place while wandering, for example.

- don't take the whole thing too seriously. It's built around having fun. It's built around wandering and trying stuff, not filling an endless checklist like all WoW-clones.

edit : 

Originally posted by Nadia

this is a decent crafting guide, if people want to try crafting

http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_crafting/post_35198.html

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Good post! I agree with picking a class that fits your play style. I played Mesmer, necro, warrior, guardian and elementlist during the betas. Only the elemetalist felt any fun to me. My buddy tried ranger, guardian and warrior and hes having a blast with warrior but hated the other two.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think if doing PvE definitely might want to consider xp boost, makes it a lot easier and reduces the ammount of waiting for DEs or having to grind on random kills.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by k-damage

Well, I thought that for people who didn't know any other type of MMOs than themeparks, it would not be that easy to put themselves into enough a different mindset to embrace gw2 philosophy. So here's a list of things to think about / do, in order to fully enjoy the game world. Feel free to add yours in this thread !

I am primarily a themepark player and i had no problem getting into GW2 which is also a themepark. So i am confused by your statement.

Bite Me

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

There's something wrong with the game, if you have to tell people how to enjoy it.

Also, reading GW2 is not a theme park made me lol.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by RexNebular

There's something wrong with the game, if you have to tell people how to enjoy it.

Also, reading GW2 is not a theme park made me lol.

It's not something wrong with the game, it's something wrong with *some* people (not aiming at anybody here, don't worry) unable to see a game under a different angle than tons of other WoW clones. This has been a problem for the last monthes in here, and it showed up several times in hate threads, noticeably.

And you're the only one saying GW2 is not a themepark here.

Originally posted by Nikkita

Well, I thought that for people who didn't know any other type of MMOs than themeparks, it would not be that easy to put themselves into enough a different mindset to embrace gw2 philosophy. So here's a list of things to think about / do, in order to fully enjoy the game world. Feel free to add yours in this thread !

I am primarily a themepark player and i had no problem getting into GW2 which is also a themepark. So i am confused by your statement.

Emphasis on "who don't know any othe type" and "would be". If you read some posts over this forum, some people are lost for real.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

- most important of all : get a wanderer mindset. This game is clearly made for wanderers and lurkers, whatever they are.

- take your time, don't rush anything

- explore your class mechanics, it's when you start to master your class that fights become really exciting

- classes are created with quite different gameplays, which can be tailored for different types of gamers, so if you don't feel yours, try another

- talk to NPCs, a lot of them can trigger dynamic events that you wouldn't have suspected (good example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes)

- have some fun with group questing, this can trigger some massive battles (groups attract groups)

- forget that it's a MMO, just take it as a new game, without searching how better/worst it is than any other one

- don't force yourself to do things. If you want to skip a heart/event, skip it. (I skipped the crafting part myself, because I just wanted some action this week end) This is how you will build your progression into the game, and how it will make it so special to suddenly find a secret place while wandering, for example.

- don't take the whole thing too seriously. It's built around having fun. It's built around wandering and trying stuff, not filling an endless checklist like all WoW-clones.

GW2 is a themepark MMO,your statement in red is condesending and seems to suggest that anyone who does not listen to your advice is thick.

Seems you don't understand what a themepark MMO is.

Ok seems like you all have been playing only classical themeparks here, and therefore feel offended. I'll edit that. No need to jump the fracking gun, chill out. I'm not talking about politics.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I skipped the crafting part myself, because I just wanted some action this week end

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Ok seems like you all have been playing only classical themeparks here, and therefore feel offended. I'll edit that. No need to jump the fracking gun, chill out. I'm not talking about politics.

Themepark is themepark,again you are assuming to much,dig yourself out of the hole and forget you even started this thread.

Oh,and i have played GW2 nearly everyday for the last 3 months(full beta),GW2 is themepark.

Ok Sylvarii, I get it. Don't worry, don't worry. Relax now.

Thanks :) Crafting seems to be quite extensive and appealing for craft lovers, if I read some threads here correctly. But I admit the lack of bag space was some kind of rebuttal to gather resources at lower levels. I'll check the link, thank you !

Speaking of bag space, this is starting to be a serious problem for me, where can we find bigger bags ?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I dunno but if i would need a guide/tips to be able to enjoy a game it would seem to me that the game is flawed.

Good games do not need tips to be fun they just are.

If a game does try to change the genre and is not able to lead the players it is doing it wrong.

I am not saying GW2 is that game tho  

Thanks :) Crafting seems to be quite extensive and appealing for craft lovers, if I read some threads here correctly. But I admit the lack of bag space was some kind of rebuttal to gather resources at lower levels. I'll check the link, thank you !

Speaking of bag space, this is starting to be a serious problem for me, where can we find bigger bags ?

You can put your crafting materials into the collection it is possible to do this while you are outside farming the materials so its not too bad with the room.

Also Armor and Leather crafts did craft bigger bags

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

I dunno but if i would need a guide/tips to be able to enjoy a game it would seem to me that the game is flawed.

If a game does try to change the genre and is not able to lead the players it is doing it wrong.

You are confusing basic tips with elaborate guides or hand holding. Seldom any themepark MMOS does that. However, most of the time when devs design a MMO they do it with an impression that a lot of players could be new to MMO genre so they include basic guides and tips to help new players.

That is why it is a little surprising because GW2 devs always talked about targetting non MMO players for GW2 so that they can reach as many potential customers as possible.

Bite Me

We've been served the same old model for 10 years, so if a game wanted not to have tips and be refreshing, it would need to stick to that formula. That's exactly what other recent MMOs did, speaking of which. But we all saw how unoriginal they still were by sticking to it. All those "new features above the old model" turned out to be "gimmicks", as this underlying model was far too strong in its fundations to let enough gamedesign space.

Tips and hints to enjoy and dig more into a game are common, though, that's how most popular games work, there are articles, guides about how to extend your experience. Doesn't mean they fail ;) 

Thanks for the Leather craft info !

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Why should I need tips to enjoy a game? Either I enjoy it or not. No need to accuse people of not letting their previous MMO experience go if they are not giddy about GW2.

We've been served the same old model for 10 years, so if a game wanted not to have tips and be refreshing, it would need to stick to that formula. That's exactly what other recent MMOs did, speaking of which. But we all saw how unoriginal they still were by sticking to it.

Tips and hints to enjoy and dig more into a game are common, though, that's how most popular games work, there are articles, guides about how extend your experience. Doesn't mean they fail ;) Just means that some people are too lazy to dig and search by themselves. It's not meant to be offensive, it's just a reality, unfortunately. I guess we can't deny that :)

TSW does a lot different as well tho (in many points even more so than GW2) yet no one (at least as far as i have seen) thought it would be needed to post tips as to how to enjoy the game.....maybe they were all having too much fun playing dunno...

I am sorry but i do find it silly to post tips how to enjoy the game first of everyone has different tastes so who is to say that your tips are the right one?

And i still think that good games are just fun no need for tips to make the fun happening.....

(before i get labeled as a GW2 hater i  am playing the game for 2 days now already and am having moderate amount of fun without any tips)

Originally posted by Piiritus
    Why should I need tips to enjoy a game? Either I enjoy it or not. No need to accuse people of not letting their previous MMO experience go if they are not giddy about GW2.

Seriously are you all having your menstruations or what ? I'm not "accusing" anyone. Once again I'm not talking about politics. GW2 is not a US candidate for presidency, nor a gang. Relax, seriously. This list is not a Bible either.

You feel some tips would be welcome, then try some. 

You feel you don't need tips, then fine, continue your journey ingame and don't mind this thread.

edit : perfect timing :

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/362624/Ex-WoW-player-How-to-play-GW2-with-the-traditional-mindset-thing.html

Originally posted by coretex666

The title name "Tips to enjoy the game" is funny. I think that someone either enjoys the game or not. No tips can change it I would say.

Please do not take it as an offense. I know your intention is good.

lol ok I'll try to change it :) But English is not my mother tongue, I'm having quite a hard time to figure out how to say it simply :/

The title name "Tips to enjoy the game" is funny. I think that someone either enjoys the game or not. No tips can change it I would say.

Please do not take it as an offense. I know your intention is good.

lol ok I'll try to change it :) But English is not my mother tongue, I'm having quite a hard time to figure out how to say it simply :/

No no, it is not about English. In this regard, I think it is fine.

I mean the idea of instructing someone how to enjoy something. I dont know, maybe some people may find it useful. I just cannot imagine that I would not like some game and after being told how to enjoy it, I would suddenly like it more.

Well, I understand how some would not really like how to be told ;) But personally, there were some conversations on this site for example, where some simple people sharing their vision of one game did made me think about a new approach, and made me discover some new way of enjoying it. This happened with WoW for example, with the "Man of Steel" contest back before Dragon Soul patch (you had to level to 80 only using white/green items, and once you died, you deleted your char).

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I just spend more than hour exploring Black Citadel and I still can't find 1 point of interest. It's such a time waster ><

Well, I understand how some would not really like how to be told ;) But personally, there were some conversations on this site for example, where some simple people sharing their vision of one game did made me think about a new approach, and made me discover some new way of enjoying it. This happened with WoW for example, with the "Man of Steel" contest back before Dragon Soul patch (you had to level to 80 only using white/green items, and once you died, you deleted your char).

I think I should try that :)

Sorry it's called Ironman Challenge I realized. There's even a site listing challengers : http://wowironman.com/

Good luck ;)

Originally posted by QSatu
    I just spend more than hour exploring Black Citadel and I still can't find 1 point of interest. It's such a time waster ><

I admit cities can feel a bit overwhelming with how many NPCs, merchants, quarters, etc. there are. The wandering is more for the wilderness part of the game. Anyway cities are made to be basic hubs for guilds and merchants, no real need to waste too much time exploring them ;)

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

This game has ZERO sandbox, it is all Themepark, and with the dynamic quest triggering it is almost completely singleplayer.

The hyperbole and fairytales boil down to this game plays just like every other mmorpg themepark.

It is not open world

It is not Sandbox

You run around  areas with barriers and trigger quests, instead of traditional clicking on npcs. I like the game so far but it is not unique, play the way you like bla bla bla, get a grip, everything stated in this post could be said about every other mmorpg themepark.

The only difference between this and everything else is the fact that it launched F2P with a cash shop. I have yet to feel compeled to re-run an area I cleared already. So at some point there will be no new content until the next expansion, then we'll see how the endgame sits with all the happy little campers. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

We've been served the same old model for 10 years, so if a game wanted not to have tips and be refreshing, it would need to stick to that formula. That's exactly what other recent MMOs did, speaking of which. But we all saw how unoriginal they still were by sticking to it. All those "new features above the old model" turned out to be "gimmicks", as this underlying model was far too strong in its fundations to let enough gamedesign space.

Tips and hints to enjoy and dig more into a game are common, though, that's how most popular games work, there are articles, guides about how to extend your experience. Doesn't mean they fail ;) 

Thanks for the Leather craft info !

You might have played the same old MMO model for 10 years but many of us haven't there are many different types of MMO's around these days from crafting only, FFA PvP, TBS, Puzzle, grinders, super hero, survival sandbox, MMORTS, MMOFPS etc... and GW2 is closer to a standard themepark than any of them so why would players need tips on playing GW2? OH! yeah its a paradigm change in gaming isn't it? maybe you need a tip on how the broaden your horizons in gaming.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

This game has ZERO sandbox, it is all Themepark, and with the dynamic quest triggering it is almost completely singleplayer.

The hyperbole and fairytales boil down to this game plays just like every other mmorpg themepark.

It is not open world

It is not Sandbox

You run around  areas with barriers and trigger quests, instead of traditional clicking on npcs. I like the game so far but it is not unique, play the way you like bla bla bla, get a grip, everything stated in this post could be said about every other mmorpg themepark.

The only difference between this and everything else is the fact that it launched F2P with a cash shop. I have yet to feel compeled to re-run an area I cleared already. So at some point there will be no new content until the next expansion, then we'll see how the endgame sits with all the happy little campers. 

The dynamic events are very simplistic and automatic so no need for players to interact much.