Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Now that you played it, how would you rate GW2 against your past/current games?

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm not a big fan of the genre in general. I loved DAOC for many years, but I haven't stuck with any other MMO for more than 2-3 months. Compared to the rest, GW 2 is above average and in my top 3, but that's not saying a lot. If it was a subscription game, I might not have even bought it and just waited it for to go F2P within a year. Since it's B2P, I did buy it and will play for at least the first few months. I'm not sure yet whether the PvP is good enough to keep my interest once the PvE gets old.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i put above average, because so far i do like it but not 100% addicted to it.  but, i admit it's growing on me as i play little by little.  one thing i didnt like was that the beginning couple hours are confusing and could have used a little more of an explanation / tutorial (maybe because i got a digital download and not a box with an instruction book... i remember gw1 came with a huge instruction book that i read at chilis the day i bought the game.

if it's not the top 3 at this point it's in the running at the very least.  it's in good company with Eve LOTRO and EQ1.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    I'm not playing right now, but i have played betas. Since most are probably not ahead of what was seen there, can i vote and give my opinion?
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Well back to playing...
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    .2nd or 3rd best pve you can play now - after tsw and maybe rift.
    2nd best pvp you can play now, after eve
    Best alround package
    Best game at catering to both pvp and pve since daoc (but not quite as good as daoc)
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

First mmorpg that has released since 2001 that I can place in my top 3. Easily my favorite mmorpg in 10+ years.

I played for 25 hours this weekend which is a whole lot for me over 2 days, I never got bored and they kept me wanting more. Everytime I logged out I would log back in within an hour just to get some more. And after 25 hours of play, I'm showing 7% of the world complete! That's crazy to me. I love this game.

Back in...

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    GW2 is polling quite well.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Straight up it is poor. The game has nothign new but I am enjoying it for the most part so why poor?

Really a MMO that broke the whole concept on grouping and grouping with friends. This will destroy their game and very quickly. No MMO ever had an issue with this if so very minimal. GW2 needs to get grouping fixed and fast, it is revolutionary alright and without a fixed before launch it will go down in history.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Ask me in a month.  You can't judge an MMO in anything less than a month of playing time.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Based on 3 days of play, 3 BWE's and 2 Stess Tests.  GW2 is squarely #2 on my all time favorite list.

My top 3 are:

1. Asherons's Call
    2. GuildWars 2
    3. World of Warcraft
    I will add DAoC at #4 as an Honorable Mention.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    In the top 3:  Everquest, Vanguard, and Guild Wars 2..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Currently playing tsw.

Gw2 has much better pvp. The pve while good isn't as good as tsws pve.

I like WvW a lot, best implementation of mass pvp for a long time, but its not quite daoc or planetside.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Above average

Love the PvP. Love the feel and fluidity of combat.

Far as PvE? Meh, nothing special. Can't say PvE has really grabbed me in this game. Although there are some starter areas better than others least in my opinion.

I do like the points of interest and vistas though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Little too soon to make this call :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Straight up it is poor. The game has nothign new but I am enjoying it for the most part so why poor?

Really a MMO that broke the whole concept on grouping and grouping with friends. This will destroy their game and very quickly. No MMO ever had an issue with this if so very minimal. GW2 needs to get grouping fixed and fast, it is revolutionary alright and without a fixed before launch it will go down in history.

How is grouping broken?  I grouped with some folks last nght with no issues.

It's not like many people group when questing in WoW anyway...they group in dungeons, and GW2 has them as well.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I absolutely love the game but I am having a really hard time finding a class that I enjoy.

As much as I hate to say it GW1 had alot more customization/choice for profession skills and I am very disappointed in the new Necro as it was my favorite and most played proff from the first.

If I can find a class/weapon setup then I will be set.

Mostly been playing sPvP since I get to try out all the classes with everything unlocked.

Originally posted by Creslin321

It's not like many people group when questing in WoW anyway...they group in dungeons, and GW2 has them as well.

Sure as soon as you zone with a group you get put into overflow and can not join up with your group. Even recreating the group or relogging doesn't work. We tried to work around it a number of times and it always just ends up putting us in different over flows, might get one person in the group in the same zone as yourself. Most of the time the join up option isn't even available. We grouped 90% of the time this weekend but only got it to work in the Norn zone when we went there. It is broken and a lot of people can tell you this.

To note my friends and myself always group in MMOs even if we don't need to. We just like to run together.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Voted, did not play, since I am not playing till tomorrow.

However GW2 still remains to be judged by me, but will it be as fun as my top 5? We will see.

1. Star Wars Galaxies PreCU

2. Anarchy Online

3. EVE

4. Dark Age of Camelot

5. World of Warcraft

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

In all fairness, I did see people in chat this weekend bitching about this. So apparently it was an issue least for some.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Sure as soon as you zone with a group you get put into overflow and can not join up with your group. Even recreating the group or relogging doesn't work. We tried to work around it a number of times and it always just ends up putting us in different over flows, might get one person in the group in the same zone as yourself. Most of the time the join up option isn't even available. We grouped 90% of the time this weekend but only got it to work in the Norn zone when we went there. It is broken and a lot of people can tell you this.

To note my friends and myself always group in MMOs even if we don't need to. We just like to run together.

Ahhh I see, yeah that does make sense.  When I grouped, it was with people I met in the overflow, and we just stayed in the same zone.  So yeah I can see how what you say would suck.  Hopefully people will stop playing as obsessively soon and overflow won't be an issue.

In the end, you have to consider that without overflow, you would be sitting in a queue...so while overflow does suck, it's better than the alternative IMO.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by cyress8

As far as mmos go top 3 easily.   I have close to 150 hours played in this game and still feels great to play.

However, it is in my top 5 games in general right now.

Morrowind

Super Mario World

Megaman 2

SWG

GW2 - added to the list.

Classic.  Fellow old school console gamer I see... ;-)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Above Average.  Have been waiting for something like this to play.  Love the 'go anywhere, do anything' style of play.  Exploration for me is key to keep me around and GW2 has it in spades.  Plan to check crafting out tonight.  And havent even touched the underwater environments yet.

Combat feels engaging.  No longer am I standing there trading hotbar buttons.  Learning how to *really* play my skills is a fun draw and removes the grinding aspect. I kill everything I see and enjoy it each time.  Love the ability to switch.  Rifle. Pistols. Pistol and shield. etc.   Not as easy as I thought it would be.  Actually died more times in the starter zone than I have in any other MMO.

DEs are fresh but do repeat often. But then again is fine for me since I love the combat. 

First MMO where I feel OK to play PVP and WvWvW and look forward to it.  Some starter zones are better/more exciting than others.  Ran through Norn and Human during Beta and was interested but not sold.  Rolled an Asura Engineer and the zone was much better for my tastes.

Checked out the cash shop - nothing of interest for me... yet.

All I need now is a bigger bag and housing.  Cant wait to see how expansions will improve the game over time.

• chondro69chondro69 Member CommonPosts: 53

I hated GW but love GW2! This honestly was it for me,if this game sucked or was just mediocre i was offically done with mmorpgs for a long time if not for good. I've purchased Aoc,warhammer,Aion,Tera,swtor,Rift,TSW and a few more that have all but let me down in 1 way or another but i really got a good feeling about GW2 after having played it for a few days! Last time I was this excited and could log into a game for more than 1-2 hours at a time and not get bored to death was back in vanilla WoW. *keeping my fingers X*

Ahhh I see, yeah that does make sense.  When I grouped, it was with people I met in the overflow, and we just stayed in the same zone.  So yeah I can see how what you say would suck.  Hopefully people will stop playing as obsessively soon and overflow won't be an issue.

In the end, you have to consider that without overflow, you would be sitting in a queue...so while overflow does suck, it's better than the alternative IMO.

Yes Overflow has advantages but I played all weekend to lvl 25 and probably 90% was in overflows and overflow pretty much means solo play...