Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community gets 2 thumbs down, and it shouldn't be this bad.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

First off, my problem is that map channel is full of trolls and aholes and people bickering with each other.  Even when someone does something semi rp, they do it to insult someone, and then someone else has to then nitpick at whether or not they have the lore correct.  It's seriously the most senseless behavior I have ever seen.

This is not a typical 'plop five dollars down to play during headstart'.  These are people who paid 60 dollars to play the game a few days early.  If they are acting like this, god knows how it's going to be at release, and how bad it will get as some people tire of the game.

I'm really dissapointed.  As much as I should expect it, I suddenly feel sick to my stomach with it.  Why pay money to log into a game and be an ahole to others?   I don't get it.  Why aren't people cooperating, calling out asking for groups, helping others, etc?

Is there nothing at low levels that requires cooperation and grouping? 

Does it have something to do with constantly being in an overflow server?

Maybe it's just the late night crowd...

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Welcome to the internet sir. People are douches. Always have been its just simply in the public domain now
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Sooooo what you're saying is the community is just like every other mmo.

In ths Tarnished Coast server, over on the Sylvari starting area its quiite pleasant, few trolls here n there, they disappear quickly though. The chat is actually a nice surprise, other than the constant bickering about the network error bug, 2 skill points not working, and one broken group dynamic event.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    From what i know, ArenaNet banhammered some ppl for trolling, so maybe it will stop after some time ;)
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Jade Quarry here,  thank god it has been extremely civil.  I picked a great server :D  

BOOYAKA!

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

I find any game with a large population tends to have jerks-a-plenty. Smaller games tend to have better communities and the 'jerks' are known by name and infamous. This is also a new game, things will be filtered out and the current community should be taken with a grain of salt. Then again WoW proved undeniably that no matter how long a game is around the jerks can persist just as long if they can get lost in a crowd.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Beiloch

I find any game with a large population tends to have jerks-a-plenty. Smaller games tend to have better communities and the 'jerks' are known by name and infamous. This is also a new game, things will be filtered out and the current community should be taken with a grain of salt. Then again WoW proved undeniably that no matter how long a game is around the jerks can persist just as long if they can get lost in a crowd.

Harder to get lost since anything dealing with chat, mail, ignore, friends list, etc is account bound.  Only need to ignore you once and you are gone forever. :D  Love how they did that in Champions and CoX also.

BOOYAKA!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by adam_nox

First off, my problem is that map channel is full of trolls and aholes and people bickering with each other.  Even when someone does something semi rp, they do it to insult someone, and then someone else has to then nitpick at whether or not they have the lore correct.  It's seriously the most senseless behavior I have ever seen.

This is not a typical 'plop five dollars down to play during headstart'.  These are people who paid 60 dollars to play the game a few days early.  If they are acting like this, god knows how it's going to be at release, and how bad it will get as some people tire of the game.

I'm really dissapointed.  As much as I should expect it, I suddenly feel sick to my stomach with it.  Why pay money to log into a game and be an ahole to others?   I don't get it.  Why aren't people cooperating, calling out asking for groups, helping others, etc?

Right with you as far as the community is concerned. And as for grouping and such at lower levels, I never saw the need to do it, I am sure there is some need for it, I just never came across it during the betas.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Is a F2P game, thats all we need to say. 
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Is a F2P game, thats all we need to say. 

Buy 2 Play. At least get your facts right.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by adam_nox

We tried to warn you.  F2P (or in this case B2P, whatever the hell they want to call it)  =  shit community.  Thats just the way it is.  People who can afford $15 a month for an mmo (almost always) have jobs, which means they're generally reasonably responsible people.  People who can't are usually slackers, degenerates or super young.  Either way they're not people you want to associate with in game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

We tried to warn you.  F2P (or in this case B2P, whatever the hell they want to call it)  =  shit community.  Thats just the way it is.  People who can afford $15 a month for an mmo (almost always) have jobs, which means they're generally reasonably responsible people.  People who can't are usually slackers, degenerates or super young.  Either way they're not people you want to associate with in game.

I see about as much crap flung around on MMOs that require a sub fee as I do on Free to Play MMOs. To me, there is literally no difference. Douches who can pay the money, and douches who can't pay the money.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    it happens every launch, really i don't think those people who are being douchenozzles will stay. I've had lots of help friendly advice and multiple invitations to group so the sentiment here from the posters at mmorpg are not generally accurate of the entire population of the game.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

We tried to warn you.  F2P (or in this case B2P, whatever the hell they want to call it)  =  shit community.  Thats just the way it is.  People who can afford $15 a month for an mmo have jobs, which means they're generally reasonably responsible people.  People who can't are usually slackers, degenerates or super young.  Either way they're not people you want to associate with in game.

You really think a payment model makes any difference in how people act? MMO's are full of these types of players. P2P, B2P or F2P, the only difference is volume, which again has nothing to do with payment model. It plagues any popular game P2P or not. WOW is notorious when it comes to this subject. With GW2, if it remains popular, it will suffer the same consequence of mass appeal.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Dunno what to say, everyone I have seen on Underworld has been super nice!

Sucks that you got assholes in the chat, feel for you.

Originally posted by Distopia

We tried to warn you.  F2P (or in this case B2P, whatever the hell they want to call it)  =  shit community.  Thats just the way it is.  People who can afford $15 a month for an mmo have jobs, which means they're generally reasonably responsible people.  People who can't are usually slackers, degenerates or super young.  Either way they're not people you want to associate with in game.

You really think a payment model makes any difference in how people act? MMO's are full of these types of players. P2P, B2P or F2P, the only difference is volume, which again has nothing to do with payment model. It plagues any popular game P2P or not. WOW is notorious when it comes to this subject. With GW2, if it remains popular, it will suffer the same consequence of mass appeal.

What he said. Also what I said, except with more clarity and logic.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Your community is only as good as the type of game you make. Make an esport insta zerg over 9000 leet skills action mmo? Your gonna attract a lot of juvenile behavior. It will settle in. Looks like its fine on other servers. Happens in every game at first.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    This thread is like fly paper. Lots of new blocked posters. Thank you OP for drawing them out.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I turn /map chat off. I make a new tab with /guild, /say, /emotes

That is all. I don't have the problems you do OP. Sorry.

Loving the game.:)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I feel sorry for you OP,this i have seen in EVERY game since i left FFXI and even that game was starting to get bad as well.Just like it bothers the OP,it bothers me as well.

Want to know the funny part,before i left FFXI ,i never thought community was that important.Once i got outside that game,i was sure wrong,it then became pretty much my number one priority.I pretty much consider it like your work force,you definitely would not want to work alongside asses,well it is much the same in gaming as well.

You sir however hit it on the nail,it is the lack of forced grouping that does it in games.

You see in solo games players can do whatever when they feel like it ,so they often stop to make a nuissance in chat.In Forced grouping games,they have to keep up  playing with the group.If they start chatting while the group is on,they get the boot.

The sad part of all of this is not a Guild Wars 2 problem it is the entire genre,we do not have a single forced grouping game anymore,even FFXI has gone south to raid sizes or solo.I guess EQ2 still has a need for grouping unless getting high level help.Same typical chat can arise in EQ2 though again being an older game,the elitists ruin it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Sanctum of Rall is amazing for community.

My advice find out where the big elitist douchbag PvP guilds are rolling and dont go there.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Sanctum of Rall is amazing for community.

My advice find out where the big elitist douchbag PvP guilds are rolling and dont go there.

Been hearing good things about that server myself, since the origins of said server have drawn a friendly crowd. I am on the EU server Gunnar's Hold and it has been surprisingly civil over here. People help each other out, either by reviving, roaming together or either answering a simply question without the typical "L2P NOOB". I guess the OP just rolled on the wrong server with the wrong crowd (probably the 4-chan server).

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    To be honest I'll take the community in game over the trolls on this forums.  So much animosity.  To hear MMORPG.com tell it, GW2 is the second coming of Anarch Online.  FFS it jsut started give the game time to grown through its birth pains.  NO MMO RELEASED HAS BEEN PERFECT.  For those that were close like Rift, its because they only had about 100k popujlation at release.  GW2 has 1.2 million prepurchasers trying to play at the same time.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Xzen
    This thread is like fly paper. Lots of new blocked posters. Thank you OP for drawing them out.

Lol, I just add in a few block head too.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    To be honest I'll take the community in game over the trolls on this forums.  So much animosity.  To hear MMORPG.com tell it, GW2 is the second coming of Anarch Online.  FFS it jsut started give the game time to grown through its birth pains.  NO MMO RELEASED HAS BEEN PERFECT.  For those that were close like Rift, its because they only had about 100k popujlation at release.  GW2 has 1.2 million prepurchasers trying to play at the same time.

Yeah. The in-game community is a heck of a lot more civil and less trolly than this forum's community.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Yeah, people are actually nice in game! Imagine that.