Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To a woman. "Yes, sir!"

Comments

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

This is common in science-fiction to illustrate that the society has moved beyond gender bias to use consistent honorifics. Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica would be the most popular examples.

I don't understand what about it you think is ‘pig-headed arrogance’.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

What I posted the first time. Stop trying to act like wiki noobs actually went to the army.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

If you took your time and read the books you would know that "sir" is used to adress members of both sexes.

Also, "jedi-master" is used for members of both sexes.

Sources: Star Wars: The Old Republic, Deceived;  Star Wars: The Old Republic, Revan and  Star Wars: The Old Republic, Fatal Alliance..

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Weretigar

What I posted the first time. Stop trying to act like wiki noobs actually went to the army.

i can't comment for army since never been in army but air force and coast guard we surely use Ma'am

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by JJOneway
    With all due respect, this is possibly one of the least important issues with the game.

That's the whole point. It's not 'unimportant'. It's in fact absolutely symptomatic, in one small detail, of the vast flaws of the game.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

i can't comment for army since never been in army but air force and coast guard we surely use Ma'am

They all operate differently. That very well could be.

Originally posted by Saerain

This is common in science-fiction to illustrate that the society has moved beyond gender bias to use consistent honorifics. Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica would be the most popular examples.

Star Wars is NOT Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Saerain

Star Wars is NOT Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica.

Same applies to Star Wars.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

That was either laziness - "It takes too long to make voice-recordings for both female and male characters" - or penny-pinching - ""It costs too much to record two versions" - or pig-headed arrogance - "In hard sci-fi, they call all genders 'Sir'" - and they were compounded because no-one at the top levels of the game, either a developer, a marketer or even Q&A, recognised that this was stupid and put their foot down.

Laziness, Penny-Pinching, Arrogance, Lack of Leadership.

These are the qualities that caused the massive flaws of this game that even the most senior bosses of the company that made it now call 'diappointing'.

When writing fiction its often best to remain gender neutral and simply address people by rank when needed to prevent making sex an issue when the status is what’s important. However, it’s common to settle for Sir in “B” grade literature like Trek and Wars as some have mentioned. But really, it feels cheap to make an issue of it in light of everything else you could pick on. I mean you laid out a pretty nice string of insulting adjectives there OP. To what end?

Your post reads like a flame rather than an issue of substance for discussion. I am just sick of GW2 threads and dropped by...

• JJOnewayJJOneway Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by JJOneway
    With all due respect, this is possibly one of the least important issues with the game.

That's the whole point. It's not 'unimportant'. It's in fact absolutely symptomatic, in one small detail, of the vast flaws of the game.

My apologies, I didn't realise this was actually serious. I thought people were just killing time waiting for GW2 to go live.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
  • KrissKriss Member Posts: 34

HAHA yes.

Source 52nd agbn for knox kentucky A company 515. All officers are refered to as sir.

Seriously? HAHA no -_-.

Source: 3BCT 101st ABN (AA).

It's "Rakkasan Ma'am" when I see female officers. 

Also when I went through OSUT at Knox 515 was a BCT troop. Of course I don't know how the do it up in TRADOC/HRC world...

Did you even graduate basic man?

Das Uber Lurker!

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    In the Military unless we were talking to a Civilian female we addressed all Offercer personal as Sir. 

umm no you don't,  well not in the US military at least.. they might do this in other countries not sure. Female officers are addressed as Ma'am

All military officers are addressed as Sir..yes.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Castle.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I would classify this complaint as "nit picking"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Istavaan
    In the Military unless we were talking to a Civilian female we addressed all Offercer personal as Sir. 

umm no you don't,  well not in the US military at least.. they might do this in other countries not sure. Female officers are addressed as Ma'am

All military officers are addressed as Sir..yes.

In the U.S Army I've always heard/used Ma'am to female officers.

Das Uber Lurker!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Oh, and a female Sith is not 'My Lord', it's 'My Lady'.

Another piece of arrogance, laziness or just general stupidity left in by the developers.

And before some idiot say "Oh, but female siths were called 'lords'"...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Olaris_Rhea

You're wrong here:

"The term "Sith Lord" generally encompassed members of both sexes, although some female Sith, such as Lumiya and Olaris Rhea, were styled Sith Lady."

Source.

Originally posted by Kriss

HAHA yes.

Source 52nd agbn for knox kentucky A company 515. All officers are refered to as sir.

Seriously? HAHA no -_-.

Also when I went through OSUT at Knox 515 was a BCT troop. Of course I don't know how the do it up in TRADOC/HRC world...

They don't do basic in knox  are you serious?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    I don't even like Star Wars, but I seem to remember they called even females "Sir" in the movies.  Game still blows though ;)

No they didn't. Not in any of the moviers. They called Princess Leia, 'Princess'. And Senator Amidala, 'Senator'.

Were there other females than Leia in the real movies? 

But yes, Sir is the correct name for a female officer in English. In Sweden we call any officer by their rank instead, female or not.

So in this Bioware is doing the right thing.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I would imagine if there was anything in there that was against Star Wars canon / style, Lucas Arts would have been all over it and made sure it was fixed. 

If it disturbs you so much, ask them why it is so. 

Sidenote: There was a 'Lady' version of the Lord title in testing, it went away at some stage, I would imagine at their behest. To be honest, I can't recall the explanation that was given, I just remember there being a brou-ha-ha about it. 

The in-game chapter summaries are far worse for gender errors, play a Female trooper and you'll see what I mean....

However, as others have said, there are many more solid things to complain about. 

Originally posted by Kriss

HAHA yes.

Seriously? HAHA no -_-.

They don't do basic in knox  are you serious?

Holy hell I suggest you do some google'n

I'll do you a favor.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/10/army_infantry_100509w/

"Billions of dollars of new construction projects are underway at Benning as officials at Fort Knox, Ky., are finalizing the massive plan to move the Armor Center and School alongside the home of the infantry."

Das Uber Lurker!

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    I don't even like Star Wars, but I seem to remember they called even females "Sir" in the movies.  Game still blows though ;)

No they didn't. Not in any of the moviers. They called Princess Leia, 'Princess'. And Senator Amidala, 'Senator'.

Were there other females than Leia in the real movies? 

But yes, Sir is the correct name for a female officer in English. In Sweden we call any officer by their rank instead, female or not.

So in this Bioware is doing the right thing.

"But yes, Sir is the correct name for a female officer in English."

No it bloody isn't. Why do you keep peddling what is easily and quickly demonstrable as bullshit?

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071210054145AAA9F8v

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

USAF Jag Corp, 2006 here. Since you don't seem to recall, I'll copied a link to the Army Command Policy, 600-20. Female Offiers are refferred to as Ma'am. Not Sir...ever. 

4-18.     A soldier addressing a higher ranking officer uses the word sir or ma'am in the same manner as a polite civilian speaking with a person to whom he wishes to show respect. In the military service, the matter of who says sir or ma'am to whom is clearly defined; in civilian life it is largely a matter of discretion. In the case of NCOs and soldiers, we address them by their rank because they've earned that rank.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_20.pdf

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Praetalus

USAF Jag Corp, 2006 here. Since you don't seem to recall, I'll copied a link to the Army Command Policy, 600-20. Female Offiers are refferred to as Ma'am. Not Sir...ever. 

4-18.     A soldier addressing a higher ranking officer uses the word sir or ma'am in the same manner as a polite civilian speaking with a person to whom he wishes to show respect. In the military service, the matter of who says sir or ma'am to whom is clearly defined; in civilian life it is largely a matter of discretion. In the case of NCOs and soldiers, we address them by their rank because they've earned that rank.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_20.pdf

same policy as usaf and uscg

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

As a military member in the Navy, I can tell you we do NOT say Sir to a female officer. We say Ma'am.

Yes Ma'am! No Ma'am! Not Sir... wtf? They are female, Sir is a title for males.  Strange army people...

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

This discussion has been closed.