Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New star wars mmo?

zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46
I have learned from a good source that paradox entertainment has purchased the exclusive rights to make a new star wars mmo they obtained these rights i n 2010 and have them through 2017 any thoughts on this?

Comments

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Did a guy names lucas tell u?
  • zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46
    No but came from a lucas arts employee with knowledge
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    if it turns out to be true than we are up for a treat i think
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Well, I'd say they're late already unless they're well in development... 

I'd love a well done Star Wars MMO (it doesn't even have to be fully a sandbox, which I'm not even sure I like anymore at this point) that makes me breathe and feel the epicness that is star wars ;)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Well that is a good gaming company. They stick to their guns when making games. Some of them are pretty advanced.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'm not buyin it.
    And besides, LA can't make a game to save their arse.
    If they have any say in the game's development....And I think they've had more say in the previous 2 than what we are being told, the game will be crap anyway.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    As much as I'd love a 'proper' Star Wars MMO (think Pre-CU SWG revisited), I do not believe that will happen, especially whilst Lucas Arts and Electronic Arts are under contract.
  • VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Are Lucas allowed to sell the rights for a Star Wars MMO to Bioware and Paradox at the ame time? Cant see it.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I think it's bogus that Lucas would give rights to a Star Wars MMO in 2010 when SWTOR hadn't even released then. They pulled SWG's license to allow SWTOR to monopolise the Star Wars MMO market. No way would they issue a 2nd license with TOR about to release in 12 months. If they'd wanted 2 they'd have allowed SWG to continue.
  • HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    A facebook game?
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm not buyin it.
    If they have any say in the game's development....And I think they've had more say in the previous 2 than what we are being told, the game will be crap anyway.

LA is also very upset with Bioware/EA's handling of SWTOR
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Star Trek also,please Paradox,this source is reliable , or else.

Let's internet

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Do we know for a fact they gave all SW timeperiods to EA? Maybe they're splitting their licenses for all we know. 
  • VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by Hrica
    A facebook game?

This i could see, but my god it would suck. But yeh it would have to be no competition in a completely different format.

• 7-Thunder-237-Thunder-23 Member Posts: 25

www.lucasarts.com

Check it out... New front page. SW:1313

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Maybe LA had a clause in their contract with EA/BW stipulating a certain return and that if the game didn't perform, LA could exercise certain rights with the IP.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I think it's bogus that Lucas would give rights to a Star Wars MMO in 2010 when SWTOR hadn't even released then. They pulled SWG's license to allow SWTOR to monopolise the Star Wars MMO market. No way would they issue a 2nd license with TOR about to release in 12 months. If they'd wanted 2 they'd have allowed SWG to continue.

Was also told sony shutdown swg on their own was not law and ea. Has the rights to run swtor but did not have exclusive rights
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Seems this game has peaked on X-fire?

Oh wait...

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I heard from a good source that you are full of crap.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by zakin

I'm not buyin it.

Doesn't really have relevance to this rumour does it? We're talking about a supposed agreement in 2010, before TOR released. EA would never agree to a contract for the MMO is they didn't have an exclusive, hence SWG's demise. Since the release is a different story. If LA have a performance clause in there they may be able to pull EA's license and hand it off to a 3rd party now, but not in 2010.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I have learned from a good source that paradox entertainment has purchased the exclusive rights to make a new star wars mmo they obtained these rights i n 2010 and have them through 2017 any thoughts on this?

I don't see how it could be "exclusive" since 2010 considering Bioware had the rights for an mmo during that time, and still does.  So that right there would tell me that the source is at minimum confused about what the word exclusive means.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'm not buyin it.

Doesn't really have relevance to this rumour does it? We're talking about a supposed agreement in 2010, before TOR released. EA would never agree to a contract for the MMO is they didn't have an exclusive, hence SWG's demise. Since the release is a different story. If LA have a performance clause in there they may be able to pull EA's license and hand it off to a 3rd party now, but not in 2010.

This publisher gives me hope that a good SW sandbox is not just a pipe dream. Let's hope for permadeath.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by sirphobos

I heard from a good source that you are full of crap.

lol. Thats fine time will tell
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm not buyin it.

I agree

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    So what is this SW1313 ?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.