Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for advice on new PC

IrishEvo8IrishEvo8 Member Posts: 2

I'm planning on building a new pc that I won't have to upgrade for awhile, and I want some advice! I'll be gaming on one monitor at 1920x1200 and I've come up with a couple builds, some with the help with friends. I really want to empathsize on building a powerful PC, and not skimming too many corners. I really prefer nvidia over AMD but I am willing to compromise. 

I'm trying to keep it around $2K

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ftz1 s1155 3770k with 2 680 4GBs in sli

Friend's build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fu3d s2011 3820 with 2 7950s 3GBs in crossfire

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Why are you looking at CrossFire or SLI on a single monitor?  And with a resolution of only 1920x1200, at that.  And an alternate 4 GB version of the GTX 680, no less.  If you want to just spend money for the sake of spending it, you can, but if you're going to get an Nvidia card, I don't see any point in going above a single GeForce GTX 670 with 2 GB of video memory unless you're going to get more monitor real estate for the video cards to power.

And while we're at it, why 2133 MHz memory?  Few programs outside of synthetic memory benchmarks will notice the difference between that and 1600 MHz memory.

And why a $310 motherboard?  Sure, it's a nice motherboard, but you can get a ridiculous overkill motherboard for $200.

Not wanting to cut corners is one thing, but spending money for the sake of spending it in places where you'll never notice a difference is quite another.

• IrishEvo8IrishEvo8 Member Posts: 2
    You're right, though. I just go with brands i'm familiar with. I'll probably go with one video card, and end up upgrading to SLI later if gaming requires it. What would you recommend for a motherboard socket 1155?