Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XBOX 360 or PS3

korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Since my girlfriend already owns nintendo Wii, which we don't play anymore (got boring to us mostly)...I've been thinking about buying some other console for us. The main reason I would buy the console is for playing mostly multiplayer games (obviously) and occasionally some singleplayer gaming when we won't be able to (or won't feel like) play the games together. :D

I did a little searching and found out that PS3 has more games and some say it's better to play them on than the XBOX 360.

Since my last console was PS1 and I never owned XBOX I don't know which one would suit better to my purpose. So I'm not like, a fan of some console, so I need some word of advice.

So console best for gaming in multiplayer (by that I don't mean online gaming) and why is one better than the other in your opinion.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you! :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
-------------------------------

Comments

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

I own both consoles. My opinion would be Play Station 3. If you want to pay monthly just to get online for multiplayer then choose Xbox 360, if you want to get online free, Play Station 3 is the way to go. Both consoles are pretty good.

The reason I canceled my Xbox subscription was due to Microsoft's massive ad's within the update to Xbox's UI which was probably the killer for most who enjoyed Xbox before the update.

It's known to be the kinectbox or adbox now since Microsoft is clearly supporting a family type setting instead of gamers and there multiplayer games.

The ultimate decision is if you wanna pay monthly or yearly which is around 50$ for Xbox play or Play Stations free play. Remember the PS3 have blue ray, blue ray games and 1080p over 720p. If you wanna do Netflix as well I would suggest the Play Station 3.

The Play Station 3 has more games and better ones in my opinion as well. Uncharted Drakes Series, Red Dead Redemption, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal are sick games that I would definitely recommend you getting to play.

Just make sure you do your homework before buying, search around and take a look at the console forums to get more information. Good luck!.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I have a Ps3 and the only thing I don't like about it is the constant system updates. Other than that, it's a great system with a great library.

My only personal experience with the 360 is the that I have a "red-ringer" that a guy gave me thinking I might be able to fix it. Never bothered.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Gamefun

I own both consoles. My opinion would be Play Station 3. If you want to pay monthly just to get online for multiplayer then choose Xbox 360, if you want to get online free, Play Station 3 is the way to go. Both consoles are pretty good.

The reason I canceled my Xbox subscription was due to Microsoft's massive ad's within the update to Xbox's UI which was probably the killer for most who enjoyed Xbox before the update.

It's known to be the kinectbox or adbox now since Microsoft is clearly supporting a family type setting instead of gamers and there multiplayer games.

The ultimate decision is if you wanna pay monthly or yearly which is around 50$ for Xbox play or Play Stations free play. Remember the PS3 have blue ray, blue ray games and 1080p over 720p. If you wanna do Netflix as well I would suggest the Play Station 3.

The Play Station 3 havs more games and better ones in my opinion as well. Uncharted Drakes Series games and Twisted Metal are sick games that I would definitely recommend you getting to play.

Good luck!.

Thank you, I didn't know the xbox360 requires subscription to play online, that really is a huge minus...

I'm not a big fan of subscriptions nowadays, so that's a factor which I guess makes me wanna look more into ps3 than anything else.

Originally posted by korent1991

The Play Station 3 havs more games and better ones in my opinion as well. Uncharted Drakes Series games and Twisted Metal are sick games that I would definitely recommend you getting to play.

Good luck!.

Thank you, I didn't know the xbox360 requires subscription to play online, that really is a huge minus...

I'm not a big fan of subscriptions nowadays, so that's a factor which I guess makes me wanna look more into ps3 than anything else.

No problem. Also if you use movie services for your console or you are considering it, the play station can play 7.1 surround sound, blue ray format games and movies. The Xbox only goes up to 720p and doesn't have blue ray movie nor game capability.

If you get the PS3, check out the "Home" icon and check out the online universe where you and your friends can meet up, play games, play bowling, arcade games, watch movies, setup mansions, clothes, suits for your avatars etc.

There are mini games free of charge as well and it's like being in an online world. So many places to explorer as well. I recommend checking that out if you do get the PS3.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I have both... Honestly the PS3 is the better system but the 360 has FAR BETTER games (RPGs anyhow...)

II like my PS3 more since its a blu ray player and synchs with my PC- But as a pure "gaming system" I like the 360 more. PS network is free but is severly lacking IMHO.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I had an Xbox and I still have a PS3. I suggest PS3. It has plenty of multiplayer games and some of the best single player. Get Uncharted and download Journey from the online store to start.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Honestly the PS3 is the better system but the 360 has FAR BETTER games

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

When I faced this decision I chose PS3 for the reasons already stated: Blue-ray and no subscription for online access. The only Xbox exclusive I've ever wanted was Fable 2. But Sony exclusives like Red Dead, Uncharted, and Heavy Rain made up for it.

Seriously, the PS3 is a higher spec system, with free online access. So unless your buddies play on Xbox, it seems an easy decision to me.

Originally posted by Margrave

Not true at all. lols @ that.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I have both too, but i tend to play the Xbox more.   Yes both consoles have exclusives games, but when it comes to playing the game, i dunno i prefer the Xbox.  One big factor is the controller,  the 360 controllers feels good in my hand, while the ps3 controller feels too small.

Glad I made you "LOL"- but your comment is lacking in explaining why you "lol'd" at my PARTIAL quote.

Could you list all the RPGs on PS3 for me? Hmmm, because thats a sore spot even on the official forums where people constantly complain about the lack of RPGs on the PS3 (which is what my quote was about as  this is aan RPG centric website)

So I "LOL" at your failed attempt at a one lner with zero explaination on an opinionated statement.

Again, the 360 oiffers far more variety and better RPGs (and all around exclusives IMHO) plus a far bigger section of games t choose from anywhere you shop. PS3 is a fantastic Blu Ray player and plays some games better and some worse (surprisinf Skyrim is far better on 360 even though I purchased it for PS3 thinking the exctra power would be used)

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Glad I made you "LOL"- but your comment is lacking in explaining why you "lol'd" at my PARTIAL quote.

Could you list all the RPGs on PS3 for me? Hmmm, because thats a sore spot even on the official forums where people constantly complain about the lack of RPGs on the PS3 (which is what my quote was about as  this is aan RPG centric website)

So I "LOL" at your failed attempt at a one lner with zero explaination on an opinionated statement.

Again, the 360 oiffers far more variety and better RPGs (and all around exclusives IMHO) plus a far bigger section of games t choose from anywhere you shop. PS3 is a fantastic Blu Ray player and plays some games better and some worse (surprisinf Skyrim is far better on 360 even though I purchased it for PS3 thinking the exctra power would be used)

Hi, Truelevel and I have both

I agree with the post saying that xbox has better games but people tend to like different types of games ... I love playing online I believe the xbox 360 is the better choice "if" you like online gaming ... it has a better network than the PS3 (better interaction with friends and other players) BUT ps3 does have a browser xbox does not. Even with the monthly fee xbox has more players online to play with or it could be due to the poor networking by ps3 ... either way if you like online gaming xbox is the way to go

PS3 has more value (blue-ray) and has the capability to have better graphics with thier games and their online is free

Originally posted by Truelevel

Hi, Truelevel and I have both

I agree with the post saying that xbox has better games but people tend to like different types of games ... I love playing online I believe the xbox 360 is the better choice "if" you like online gaming ... it has a better network than the PS3 (better interaction with friends and other players) BUT ps3 does have a browser xbox does not. Even with the monthly fee xbox has more players online to play with or it could be due to the poor networking by ps3 ... either way if you like online gaming xbox is the way to go

PS3 has more value (blue-ray) and has the capability to have better graphics with thier games and their online is free

I fully agree- I have 2 PS3s (one is my sons) and use them far more than the 360- but also for a Blu Ry player rimarily and strreaming/synching with my PC (I have a TB HD of movies to stream, like my own private Pay Per View)- Dollar for Dollar I dont think you can buy a Blu Ray Player with an ver 300 Gig HD for the price of a PS3, and it plays games. =D

...BUT, if I were ONLY looking for a sysatem to play games on I would probably choose the 360 as the PS3 is more of an "all around" media player with gaming being an add on (IMHO)

EDIT: If you DO choose a PS3 this is a MUST HAVE http://tversity.com/ - Best money I have ever spent and the use I have gotten from this is insane.

Thank you everyone for sharing the informations, I appreciate it.

I'm kinda leaning more to the PS3 choice than to the XBOX just because we're not planning on playing online much so the online access sub wouldn't be payed anyway. I'm buying the console mainly for offline-multiplayer gaming with my gf or if my friends come by and having a free online access (just in case) is always a plus.

I also looked at the games list which are TBR or are already released and really popular, I've found alot of games that my gf and I might like playing in multiplayer and singleplayer for both consoles so I guess the games won't be a problem for either of the console. That's a + for both consoles as I look at it.

Since we like watching movies, and to be honest I haven't tought about it that much up until now, you guys make a clear case that PS3 is better in that way (in sound and picture). Since I have a choice now it's better to buy a console which can offer me better watching experience. So PS3 get's the plus on that.

I guess those are the important factors in my case and it looks like the PS3 would a better fit than xbox to my house. :)

More advices or xperiences are still very welcome!

I fully agree- I have 2 PS3s (one is my sons) and use them far more than the 360- but also for a Blu Ry player rimarily and strreaming/synching with my PC (I have a TB HD of movies to stream, like my own private Pay Per View)- Dollar for Dollar I dont think you can buy a Blu Ray Player with an ver 300 Gig HD for the price of a PS3, and it plays games. =D

...BUT, if I were ONLY looking for a sysatem to play games on I would probably choose the 360 as the PS3 is more of an "all around" media player with gaming being an add on (IMHO)

EDIT: If you DO choose a PS3 this is a MUST HAVE http://tversity.com/ - Best money I have ever spent and the use I have gotten from this is insane.

That sounds amazing. So actually the PS3 can connect to my PC. That's a huge plus.

That sounds amazing. So actually the PS3 can connect to my PC. That's a huge plus.

YES- And with that software it contains all the codex's you will need without having to reformat a thing... It works through Medi Player as well But not at all like that software does. Seriously amazing software- You can set seperate folders for yourself and your kids and stream everything right to your big TV in Blu Ray quality... Too much to even list , just get that software lol. I purchased it and wasnt sure if it would be that great and it blew me away.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by SaintPhilip I fully agree- I have 2 PS3s (one is my sons) and use them far more than the 360- but also for a Blu Ry player rimarily and strreaming/synching with my PC (I have a TB HD of movies to stream, like my own private Pay Per View)- Dollar for Dollar I dont think you can buy a Blu Ray Player with an ver 300 Gig HD for the price of a PS3, and it plays games. =D ...BUT, if I were ONLY looking for a sysatem to play games on I would probably choose the 360 as the PS3 is more of an "all around" media player with gaming being an add on (IMHO)   EDIT: If you DO choose a PS3 this is a MUST HAVE http://tversity.com/ - Best money I have ever spent and the use I have gotten from this is insane.

YES- And with that software it contains all the codex's you will need without having to reformat a thing... It works through Medi Player as well But not at all like that software does. Seriously amazing software- You can set seperate folders for yourself and your kids and stream everything right to your big TV in Blu Ray quality... Too much to even list , just get that software lol. I purchased it and wasnt sure if it would be that great and it blew me away.

Xbox also has this feature

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Since my girlfriend already owns nintendo Wii, which we don't play anymore (got boring to us mostly)...I've been thinking about buying some other console for us. The main reason I would buy the console is for playing mostly multiplayer games (obviously) and occasionally some singleplayer gaming when we won't be able to (or won't feel like) play the games together. :D

I did a little searching and found out that PS3 has more games and some say it's better to play them on than the XBOX 360.

Since my last console was PS1 and I never owned XBOX I don't know which one would suit better to my purpose. So I'm not like, a fan of some console, so I need some word of advice.

So console best for gaming in multiplayer (by that I don't mean online gaming) and why is one better than the other in your opinion.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you! :)

I recently bought a ps3 with the intention of buying games from their online store..
    Oh how wrong i was.

There is a very minimal selection of games that are able to be payed for and downloaded and from what i can see, they don't have a very wide selection of multilayer games (ateast not rpgs) Of course they have the potential to have many because the more open server policy with developers as opposed to Microsoft.

From what i can gather of the 360, its more "online friendly" with an array of games available for purchase online. There also seems to be a lot of focus with multilayer with xboxlive.

This is probably just a pet hate with consoles in general but what purpose do these hardrives actually fill? I mean, i have to use a disk in this day and age when consoles have hdd's? Come one really?

I am a sony/Playstation fan, but my 2 cents is go the xbox.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

Honestly... if you have a gaming PC, the 360 is pretty much useless.

It doesn't have any exclusives, only the yearly rehashed Halo and Gears of Wars, everything else can also be played on a PC or on a PS3.

The PS3 has free online, and a huge list of AAA exclusives.

I recently bought a PS3 and im loving it so far.

Here is a small list with IMO the best PS3 exclusives:

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3

Infamous 1 & 2

Demon's Souls

Journey (PSN only)

Little Big Planet 2 (don't bother with the first 1 one)

GT5 (If you like racing games, this one is probaly the best)

Valkyria Chronicles (great JRPG)

Heavy Rain (it's more of a movie but still great, it has like 20 different endings)

Resistance 1, 2 & 3 (Shooter with great campaigns)

Killzone 2 & 3 (Great ultiplayer)

Yakuza 4 is kinda cool too

And with upcoming games like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal, Tokyo Jungle, The Last of Us, Dust 514, Beyond: Two Souls and the new Sly Cooper game, you will never run out of games.

I never understand when someone says that the XBOX has better games.... how? it has like 2 exclusive franchises and everything else is available on PC and PS3.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    At this stage in the game there really isn't a point in going with either console atm. If you wait just a little while more options will be available and the current consoles will drop in price. We aren't even talking waiting a year... so whats the point?
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    well i have had 5 360s every single one red ringed and died one went back to microsoft 3 times after my 5th died i threw it out the window and sold everything  and went back to my comp then i got a ps3 i do like xbox cntler so i got myself a batman cntler works great  i have enjoyed my ps3 so much and plan on enjoying it for years after your first year warrentiy is up you can buy a new one upto 3 years so you can keep your little buddy gamebox underwarrenty for as long as you owne it i love this about ps3 microsoft has terrible costomer server you will be user 5 million and 3 and they will not care much about you

Originally posted by Epic1oots
    I see that you have a Gw2 signature.... I would just get your gf to play GW2 with you and not bother with any consoles atm. That way you save some $$$. BUT if you must get a console. Id go with Ps3. Its really a good system for your money, and you can have Blurray movie nights, how great is that. (but looking at the timeline of console releases, Ps4 and Xbox360 2 is probably right around the corner).

We both have the game, and we plan on playing it together as well... But that's just not the same.

Playing and finishing a game trough multiplayer is kinda more fun to me, maybe because it's only the two of us playing it and it's not such a huge world. I think it's more exciting to play console games in multiplayer than it is the case with mmorpg. :)

We're just trying to replace our nintendo wii with some new (and better) console. So far, I think I'm leaning more towards buying PS3 than XBOX beacuse it just seems that you can get more out of the ps3 than xbox. :)

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

At this stage in the game there really isn't a point in going with either console atm. If you wait just a little while more options will be available and the current consoles will drop in price. We aren't even talking waiting a year... so whats the point?

GrayGhost79, I was thinking the same thing at first. But then I found out they always have some redicilous sales and they always have PS3, XBOX and PSP on that sale. It's almost at 50% off, so I tought it's worth buying on the next sale (which should be around the corner now) :)

Sorry for the weird looking reply, but I still have to figgure out how to format this "multi-qoute" properly :D

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    PS3

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    buy both~ they both have good things to offer
    Originally posted by ajayazir
    buy both~ they both have good things to offer

I wish I could... Can't afford buying both consoles at the same time. (:

Thank you everyone for the input and sharing the informations with me, I thank you for making it easier for me to choose between the consoles... You guys made it alot easier and gave me some good informations about both consoles.

With reading your posts and some extra researching, I decided to get PS3 as it would better suit my needs and the "free online access" adds some more points to that basket. :)