Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide Vet Post

Cabl-ECabl-E Member Posts: 2

All,

I posted this in the PS2 beta forums yesterday and it was removed within minutes...so you know it must be good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing PlanetSide the last week because my computer sucks.  I can't keep up with the minimum requirement for PS2 and it will probably cost me more than I care to buy a new computer to play.  I won't and here's why:

1)  After so many years PlanetSide (and in a sense, any FPS) still hasn't found the way to solve the hacker issue publicly.  PlanetSide itself has been out for YEARS and every day I log on, I still find them.  How can Sony expect us to pay for a game or in my circumstance, pay for the mandatory computer upgrade, when Sony hasn't fixed its other game that is still alive and well.  Recommendation:  Ban them.  Ban their IP.  Post their names to the planetside.station.stony.com site.

2)  Sony ignores this series of games.  PlantSide didn't die because of players leaving.  It died because Sony stopped innovating.  Then they left.  Their first solution to this series was Aftershock...terrible expansion.  Then, when that wasn't popular, they went years without really changing anything in the world's only MMOFPS...  Now, they want us to pour money into a series they haven't fixed yet.  Recommendation:  Toss some devs at PlanetSide.  We love this game.  It deserves to be looked at...like 5 dudes would be better than what we've got now.

I will not be playing PS2.  I will continue on PlanetSide because it's the evil I know.  It may have issues.  It may have hackers.  But I sat in the bio lab with my CE explosive device in hand today and I remembered, this game was awesome in its day and it continues.  Our only issue is low population.

To all the veterans, come back.  We have one server and it needs you.  To any players looking to play PlanetSide 2, give the original a try.  The game will frustrate you.  It will make you want to punch a baby goat.  Hell, you'll even try to scream at your monitor expletives your priest would curse you for, but in the same sense, there's nothing like rolling through three baddies with an MCG and being able to send them /tells about how they suck.

Warm regards,

Cabl-E - aka Flora; I forgot my darn password so I'm playing on my wife's account =)

P.S.:  The story ends with a barneytard running in the door and he ate a face full of BOOM!

P.S.S:  Sony, give us back our player stats on the site.  Seriously, another example of you ignoring your games and your player market.

Comments

• Cabl-ECabl-E Member Posts: 2

I thought of another reason why you should play PlanetSide if you're posting the typical spam "LET ME IN PLANETSIDE 2" over and over again.

PlanetSide is open now.  You can at least see what the hype is all about without moaning and groaning about how you haven't been given access to PS2.  Pay for a month and see if you like it.  PS2 isn't going to be live for a few months anyway and you'll have something to directly relate your experience with.

Warm regards,

Cabl-E (I found my password.  BR-25, CR-3 and looking for more).

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Cabl-E

I thought of another reason why you should play PlanetSide if you're posting the typical spam "LET ME IN PLANETSIDE 2" over and over again.

PlanetSide is open now.  You can at least see what the hype is all about without moaning and groaning about how you haven't been given access to PS2.  Pay for a month and see if you like it.  PS2 isn't going to be live for a few months anyway and you'll have something to directly relate your experience with.

Warm regards,

Cabl-E (I found my password.  BR-25, CR-3 and looking for more).

Higby said that Planetside was closing its doors by the end of either this month or September, I forget which.

Also, Networking 101: Banning By IP is worthless when more than 80% of the world is on a Dynamic IP (ie: it changes periodically). So if you ban X hacker on  99.999.99. he can simply take his cable modem down to his provider, get a diff one that has its own different MAC address, and BAM new IP of 99.999.99.09. Then, the next person who gets his old IP address is banned.

The only other solution is to ban an ENTIRE IP-range that is normally segregated by country, and individual parts of said country. This also doesn't work as then you ban hundreds, thousands, if not millions of potential customers that did nothing wrong (I forgot which game did this to China for almost ever due to gold farming issues).

MAC addresses (physical hardware address of a computer) can also be spoofed, so those aren't reliable. The only other way to publicly deal with hackers would be if the Internet as a whole instigated a World-Wide "Internet ID" for every internet user similar to how Korea has used their Social Security numbers for online gaming. The problem here is that then internet anonymity goes away instantly, and then the government can keep an easy track on what you're doing every second on the internet.

The only "best" way to deal with hackers is to perminantly place a ban on a customer's CreditCard identity. This is essentially an ID CC companies give to a customer to uniquely identify an old returning customer from a veteran 20+yr customer. However, CC companies don't give this number out, so it'd have to be a deal struck between the entertainment industry & payment sources. Again, a bad idea given the recent SOPA internet crap.

Try World of Tanks, 90% of their systems are serverside, and the only thing you can modify in memory are the models you physically see. I remember someone hacking the MAUS tank into a MyLittleBrony pony that shot bolts of death at their opponents. The irony is that only they could see it as it was a client side "hack".

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Cabl-E

All,

I posted this in the PS2 beta forums yesterday and it was removed within minutes...so you know it must be good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing PlanetSide the last week because my computer sucks.  I can't keep up with the minimum requirement for PS2 and it will probably cost me more than I care to buy a new computer to play.  I won't and here's why:

1)  After so many years PlanetSide (and in a sense, any FPS) still hasn't found the way to solve the hacker issue publicly.  PlanetSide itself has been out for YEARS and every day I log on, I still find them.  How can Sony expect us to pay for a game or in my circumstance, pay for the mandatory computer upgrade, when Sony hasn't fixed its other game that is still alive and well.  Recommendation:  Ban them.  Ban their IP.  Post their names to the planetside.station.stony.com site.

2)  Sony ignores this series of games.  PlantSide didn't die because of players leaving.  It died because Sony stopped innovating.  Then they left.  Their first solution to this series was Aftershock...terrible expansion.  Then, when that wasn't popular, they went years without really changing anything in the world's only MMOFPS...  Now, they want us to pour money into a series they haven't fixed yet.  Recommendation:  Toss some devs at PlanetSide.  We love this game.  It deserves to be looked at...like 5 dudes would be better than what we've got now.

I will not be playing PS2.  I will continue on PlanetSide because it's the evil I know.  It may have issues.  It may have hackers.  But I sat in the bio lab with my CE explosive device in hand today and I remembered, this game was awesome in its day and it continues.  Our only issue is low population.

To all the veterans, come back.  We have one server and it needs you.  To any players looking to play PlanetSide 2, give the original a try.  The game will frustrate you.  It will make you want to punch a baby goat.  Hell, you'll even try to scream at your monitor expletives your priest would curse you for, but in the same sense, there's nothing like rolling through three baddies with an MCG and being able to send them /tells about how they suck.

Warm regards,

Cabl-E - aka Flora; I forgot my darn password so I'm playing on my wife's account =)

P.S.:  The story ends with a barneytard running in the door and he ate a face full of BOOM!

P.S.S:  Sony, give us back our player stats on the site.  Seriously, another example of you ignoring your games and your player market.

I don't think anyone on these forums has been more vocal about cheaters as me... Exp when I played planetside, go check some of the post I left back in the day about cheaters on the PS forums... I also have been highly critical of SOE... I agree with everything you said, they neglected  PS after that craptastic Aftershock Expansion..And then really went MIA when they foced BFR's down our throats even though most of us vets hated the idea...

But I will say this, they do appear to be trying this time around. And even though I think this game will be more like BATTLEFIELD then Planetside (ugh) hopefully that gets them the money they need to continue to support it.

As for the hackers, SOE did one great thing recently IMO and that is they went with Steam, and Steam means VAC if im not mistaken.. Which is one of the best hacker detection programs out there.  And that already has Panetside 1 beat since it didn't have any type of hacker detection programs.. Add that to active GM's and we should hopefully see a pretty decent hacker free game at the start anyways.

BTW im not playing beta right now either cause of computer issues :(  But I am saving to buy me a new one that will eat games for a good 3 or 4 years... I hope...

p.s  Can anyone find out if Planetside 2 will be using Steams VAC?  Pretty please...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sorry I think I'll be firing off my PS2 client tonight for some 201x graphics and action.

PS1 was a good game, but it's too old and ugly for today's standards.

I think you're just bitter because you've realized the few remaining buddies of you will leave you alone in PS1 when PS2 is launched (or they get into the beta).

Your post was removed because there is nothing constructive in it. You're just crying because you're being left out of the new hotness because of your own stinginess.

• CrashsplashCrashsplash Member Posts: 22

I've played ps1 recently and really enjoyed, however most times there's ot enough people, ie less that 50 on all empires combined.

So, I'm afraid that ps2 is where it's at from now. The good news is that it's still in development so it will get better (they patch client and werver-side several times a week) and a friend of mine (ahem) told me that he'd had some good epic experiences in the game recently.