Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thieves any fun?

OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hi all,

I never had an opportunity in BWEs to test a thief.  Are they any fun?  How's the stealth?  Is it OP'ed like in every other game where you can disappear?  Or perhaps it's on a timer or of short duration?

Are they strong PvE'ers?  PvP'ers?

Inquiring minds....  Thanks!

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Hi all,

I never had an opportunity in BWEs to test a thief.  Are they any fun?  How's the stealth?  Is it OP'ed like in every other game where you can disappear?  Or perhaps it's on a timer or of short duration?

You use to be able to stay stealthed almost an entire fight as a thief, but thankfully that has been fixed. No longer can you perma stealth. The thief is very fun, I like to run with pistol/pistol and sword/pistol or dagger/dagger...Both are fun. It's a nice solid pvp and pve class, that is lots of fun for me.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

agreed.  Thief is fun

i was not planning a thief, but wound up liking it alot.

the initiative system  is very good.  you can chain a number of attacks for great effect. but you gotta watch the counter.  or you wll have some "oh,$(*& momens, which i find more fun that steamrolling. 

i liked, twin pistols, twin daggers , but found out i really loved sword+pistol.  very swashbuckly. 

still don know if i like shortbow... spent too much time with the other weapons.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Any actual theiving going on with thieves?
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Fun?  Hell yes.

Currently viable in tournaments?  I'd take any other class over them.

All this means little anyways since the game will be in a constant balancing act.

I'm playing one as my main regardless, but it's an uphill battle.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Trionicus

The f1 ability says you teleport to the target and steal from them, but it never stole anything that I noticed.

edit**

Just read the Steal mechanics and it makes sense now.  I was expecting to get some coins or junk items to sell when stealing.

• tranceauftranceauf Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Yea you can steal an enemies ability and use it on them.
  • necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

their "special" thing only provides an environmetal weapon to use against the mob, so....no not really "stealing"

no lockpicking either.  (damn you black lion chest)

edit,: also no disarm traps.... whcih would make you everyones friend in dungeons

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by Trionicus

you can steal abilities, kind of. say in pvp you use the steal skill against a warrior. you might gain a rifle or greatsword ability that pops on to your hotkey bar replacing the steal ability until you use it. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its fun to play, a bit more active then most classes. Biggest issue as melee as a thief you are a rather easy target compared to a warrior or guardian, without really getting much in terms of damage to make up for it. 

I still enjoyed a thief though, given I do buy the game I'd lean at  Dual Pistol thief with a splash of dagger fun. Its always enjoyable to be jumping over the enemy like a monkey. The skill steal just feels kind of tacked on if anything I could point out being lack luster. Just seems 'off' to me but oh well.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    I luv playing a thief in GW2, luv the look, luv the way they play, I've played them as a Charr and an Asrua, I will most likly be playing an Asura thief again when the game opens, can't wait only a few days to go.
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Thanks for all the great replies!

Since I've never used the stealth mechanic...can you sneak up on an emeny in WvW with it?   That is, does it allow you to choose your own fights?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    The thief is the ultimate class for mobility.  With a pistol/dagger and sword/pistol build I could dictate the terms of  any fight. 
  • aviciavici Member Posts: 44
    I normally don't enjoy stealthy rogue/assassin/thief..etc type classes because frankly i'm just not very good at them. Without having the extra armor to back up my general lack of optimal damage, I was very good friends with Death.

In GW2 i assumed it would be the same, and sure enough I did have some troubles. However, I did start to get a hang of utilizing abilities to get out of harms way more effectively in not too long of a time. I played a pistol/pistol dagger/dagger mostly. It started to feel like dancing, with the enemy, and began to feel more natural and fluid for me.

I'm excited to learn more about the class, and to be able to work on my own skill while doing so. I really do see each class as having a unique feel to it. Maybe that is a big part in making it difficult to pick just one to start with.

• petespritonpetespriton Member Posts: 22

Since I've never used the stealth mechanic...can you sneak up on an emeny in WvW with it?   That is, does it allow you to choose your own fights?

It's not permanent stealth... Maybe 4 or 5 seconds with traits.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Its fun to play, a bit more active then most classes. Biggest issue as melee as a thief you are a rather easy target compared to a warrior or guardian, without really getting much in terms of damage to make up for it. 

Not to start a big theorycrafting debate about it, but my experience was that the burst damage was considerably above other classes -- or at least the ones I've played the most (warrior, ranger, guardian).  

But we can definitely agree, it is a very fun class to play.  I was dead set on ranger being my main, but that has changed to Thief after the latest stress test.  I really had an "Aha!" moment once I hit around level 18, where all of the pieces really fell into place and I understood the different mechanics.  The stealth in this case feels more like slipping in and out of the enemy's field of vision... like you're whipping around and over your target, stabbing as you go :)

I particularly liked dagger/dagger, but they're all pretty fun.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Thieves are great. I'm just not a very big fan of their F1 Steal ability. I prefer to play a ranged thief and since Steal shadowsteps you to the target, I found it counter intuitive to my playstyle. Plus I don't like the randomness of what ability you get from stealing. Otherwise it's one of my favorite classes and I'm probably going to roll one either as a my main or second character.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by heartless
    Thieves are great. I'm just not a very big fan of their F1 Steal ability. I prefer to play a ranged thief and since Steal shadowsteps you to the target, I found it counter intuitive to my playstyle. Plus I don't like the randomness of what ability you get from stealing. Otherwise it's one of my favorite classes and I'm probably going to roll one either as a my main or second character.

Towards the end of the last test, I started thinking of steal as a two part deal.  I would often taken my target down at range (when playing a ranged set) and then steal as a sort of finishing move... shadow step in, steal, and then finish the target off.  This is nice because the cooldown for steal starts immediately on steal, not when you use the item.  So then when I finally used the stolen item in the next fight, my cooldown would be free and ready to steal again as a finishing move, etc. etc.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    they are squishy so you need to move around a lot (and well), but they are a blast to play. i loved my bwe thief. did well in pvp too because it was so hard for opponents to keep me still. i am very much in favor of more people enjoying the thief (for me it was a hard call between that and mesmer, but the promised difficulty of the mesmer draws me like a mosquito to a bug zapper).
    Originally posted by gelraen
    Originally posted by heartless

Towards the end of the last test, I started thinking of steal as a two part deal.  I would often taken my target down at range (when playing a ranged set) and then steal as a sort of finishing move... shadow step in, steal, and then finish the target off.  This is nice because the cooldown for steal starts immediately on steal, not when you use the item.  So then when I finally used the stolen item in the next fight, my cooldown would be free and ready to steal again as a finishing move, etc. etc.

In my situation that's not really going to work. I'm working on a high avoidance/range build. Basically I want to create the most anoying PvP build possible. It sort of works already, I need to tweak it a bit though.

ArenaNet needs to come up with a ranged version of thief's F1 ability. Kind of like warriors have one for the rifle and the longbow, thieves need to have one for pistols and short bow.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It can, but not necessarily. There's a way to trigger a stealth combo field to get longer duration stealth (they are still tweaking this), so it is possible to get a short duration jump on an opponent.

This is much different from how it is w/ say Rogues in WoW. You have to do most of the sneaking by being clever, hiding behind objects & terrain, and then you can pop a short term stealth / teleport in order to initiate the fight. Keep in mind that there aren't really any 'stealth spike' abilities like Ambush, so the benefits of stealth are a lot different. It's mostly used for confusion, forced target drops, and finishing off downed opponents (they can't knock you down if you're stealthed).

Originally posted by aesperus

It can, but not necessarily. There's a way to trigger a stealth combo field to get longer duration stealth (they are still tweaking this), so it is possible to get a short duration jump on an opponent.

This is much different from how it is w/ say Rogues in WoW. You have to do most of the sneaking by being clever, hiding behind objects & terrain, and then you can pop a short term stealth / teleport in order to initiate the fight. Keep in mind that there aren't really any 'stealth spike' abilities like Ambush, so the benefits of stealth are a lot different. It's mostly used for confusion, forced target drops, and finishing off downed opponents (they can't knock you down if you're stealthed).

The thief's weapons 1 ability has a stealth variant which changes depending on the main hand weapon. Backstab, for example, strikes for double the damage if you hit the target from behind.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

Hi all,

I never had an opportunity in BWEs to test a thief.  Are they any fun?

I am going to just deal with this question. I feel they are fun. I especially like to duel weild daggers and at level 7 duel wield pistols as well.

In the last BWE I used the steal ablility in a boss fight and stole an attack from it that I turned around and used on it. It was great. Its health went down a good bit when I did it since I was looking for the result of its use.  So remember to do that when ever your fighting something you may get something good that can hurt it nicely.

I like that you keep moving with the thief which is the best way, I feel, to play them.

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

All say there prof. mechanic in the worst in the game. Also the spamming element is there, which make it less brain- more power use. But the rest looks fun.

I just hope they put some barrier for skill spam and it will be great to play as one?!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    So far the most fun class I tried. Pistol/pistol and dagger/dagger are really awesome, but you need to run and dodge a lot more than the other classes I tried.