Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think a lot of the hate is fake...and misdirected.

Comments

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    There is a lot of effort to defame GW2 by the competition,  a lot of large websites try to put negative spin on th game or allow it to go on. For example, Curse.com actually owns GW2 Guru, but as a company don't actualy like GW2 so therefore even though most of the posts are postive on that site, mods side with the trolls nine times out of ten at some lame attempt at social engineering. Even this site tries to not put focus on GW2 but are fast to put up a banner for whatever ftp wow clone comes up and call it the best new game of 2012 it's just insane.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Seem that alot of people are tired of MMOs in general, (fantasy) and they dont  realise it .

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

but you see my point i don't mind having a sensable discussion about what people don't like about the game but those threads almost never exist.. It seems 90% have some sort of agenda like you say and who knows from where or why.

I do understand your point.  But threads like this don't help.  It generalizes things and comes off as overly defensive.  When honestly, there's no reason for it.  GW2 is not going to fail no matter what some of the spiteful crazies post.  No offense because this isn't directed to you personally because I've seen tons of informative and respectful posts you made - but some of the GW2 fans need to grow a thicker skin.  This type of stuff is going to happen.  Especially knowing how huge GW2 is going to be.  And rightfully so.  There's a lot the game does offer.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't think hating the game because of it's fanatic fans is the rigtht way to go, but I see where you are comming from.

Heck, just look at these threads in GW2. Any thread that brings up the slightest criticism is immediatly reported and eventually locked by the equally overzealous mods. And many of the zealots think it's cool or funny that those threads are locked...albiet...some of the threads certainly deserve it, but seriously...the report button /thread locking is way out of hand.

The best thing to do is realize thegame is going to release in several days and the forums will settle down wonce the crazy folk get to play their game. I know I will be playing....

not true at all generally only the ones that divuldge into a bitch fest or are obvious trolling get locked

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

You are correct, OP.  I don't hate the game itself.  Months ago when I first tried the BWE I didn't like the game at all. I didn't hate it though. I came on this site, brought up issues I had with the game, answered people's threads and received a rediculous amount of hate, I saw others with similar views jumped on 24/7.  I admit it's got a lot better since then.  I once posted a reasonable comment on a Youtube GW2 video about a problem I had with the game, my inbox was filled with dozens of "omg drop dead you WoW noob, get cancer"  it is because of my experience with the fans, I now hate the game.  I will be glad when it's out, people can just enjoy it,  and it won't be the biggest thing anymore.  I know I'm being unreasonable, but people can't help how they feel.

PS.  The emotion in your OP made me feel incredibly uncomfortable.

so you are basing your whole current opinion on the game over a very very small minority of people that will play GW2 and who post on this forum?

Yes.  If I tried to be reasonable I could be,  I just don't care enough about the game.  If I was going to play it, I would just overlook them as a very small minority like you said.  I try to avoid posting about it, but certain threads (which are usually more general) just grab at me.  I don't go out of my way to "hate".

This is like basing WoW's community off of the Barrens alone. If you ever been there, that is probably the most vocal community they have, not including spam in trade chat. You can enjoy the game and not the community, the community shouldn't bias your playing experience. And saying that every single GW fan is like the ones who post shit about other games is a lie. I know there are offenders, but it's not till people come on here and openly bash GW2 for this that the rest of us, like Aerowyn step up to defend our community as a whole. Do we like said people and feel like they should just keep their mouth shut? sure, but we won't just sit there while others openly say that GW2 is bad or that the community is bad just for a few rotten apples.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jdnyc

but you see my point i don't mind having a sensable discussion about what people don't like about the game but those threads almost never exist.. It seems 90% have some sort of agenda like you say and who knows from where or why.

I do understand your point.  But threads like this don't help.  It generalizes things and comes off as overly defensive.  When honestly, there's no reason for it.  GW2 is not going to fail no matter what some of the spiteful crazies post.  No offense because this isn't directed to you personally because I've seen tons of informative and respectful posts you made - but some of the GW2 fans need to grow a thicker skin.  This type of stuff is going to happen.  Especially knowing how huge GW2 is going to be.  And rightfully so.  There's a lot the game does offer.

fair enough:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    There is a lot of effort to defame GW2 by the competition,  a lot of large websites try to put negative spin on th game or allow it to go on. For example, Curse.com actually owns GW2 Guru, but as a company don't actualy like GW2 so therefore even though most of the posts are postive on that site, mods side with the trolls nine times out of ten at some lame attempt at social engineering. Even this site tries to not put focus on GW2 but are fast to put up a banner for whatever ftp wow clone comes up and call it the best new game of 2012 it's just insane.

The Guru thing has more to do with GW2 having an official forums and Guru being upset that they're not awesome #1 forum site anymore.  Your other points don't have any basis in reality.  The game journalists have been VERY Pro GW2.  Out of control pro GW2 actually.

Originally posted by Psychow

I don't think hating the game because of it's fanatic fans is the rigtht way to go, but I see where you are comming from.

Heck, just look at these threads in GW2. Any thread that brings up the slightest criticism is immediatly reported and eventually locked by the equally overzealous mods. And many of the zealots think it's cool or funny that those threads are locked...albiet...some of the threads certainly deserve it, but seriously...the report button /thread locking is way out of hand.

The best thing to do is realize thegame is going to release in several days and the forums will settle down wonce the crazy folk get to play their game. I know I will be playing....

not true at all generally only the ones that divuldge into a bitch fest or are obvious trolling get locked

The post starts as a criticism, later becomes a battle, then turns into an all out war. What people fail to realize is that the whole point of the post gets proven false usually within the first few pages, but when you look to page 10 and on, it's generally the same argument "well I agree with the OP and fail to read the other 5 pages because its too long, GW2 will suck bec of this and hope this game crashes and burns". Thats the attitude that fuels the fire then we go back to square one again.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Maybe because GW2 isn't doing anything substantially new to the genre. They've copied a bunch of tired mechanics from other games and didn't even introduce them well. The story isn't as compelling as say TSW's or as well represented as say FFXI. Voice Acting isnt as top notch as SWTOR's or TSW's. The dynamic events are its only feature it does better then any other game, and those are not as dynamic as the  meaning of the word implies. 

Combat was done better in shadowbane back in 2003 . Even Tera's combat blows GW2 out of the water. Blade and Soul is pushing that envelope as well. 

WvW... doesn't even compare to DAoC. 

And the GW2 community is horrible. 

Not saying GW2 is a bad game. But its not the saving grace of this genre like everyone is making it out to be. But its mediocre at best. I would give it a 6/10. I would give SWTOR a 4/10 and TSW a 5/10. So you can see I think its a better game thats come out in the last few years. But its not an amazing game. We need more games that have seriously indepth systems like ArcheAge. Yes I have played the game and I would give it so far a 6.5/10, and I havn't even got to the good bits of crafting boats/ships and sieges/city building. So I think my overall score for the game will come out to about an 7.5-8/10. 

The genre needs more and GW2 just isn't it. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    i can only chock it up to a lot of people worried about GW2 stealing players from their games... granted not everyone will enjoy this game but the reasons many come here with are usually straight up misinformation or just trying to stir the pot around here.

You meant Chalk it up =)

chock  (chimagek)

n.

1. A block or wedge placed under something else, such as a wheel, to keep it from moving.

2. Nautical A heavy fitting of metal or wood with two jaws curving inward, through which a rope or cable may be run.

tr.v. chockedchock·ingchocks

1. To fit with or secure by a chock: The plane's wheels were chocked and chained down.

2. Nautical To place (a boat) on chocks.

adv.

As close as possible: had to stand chock up against the railing.

• MMOheraldMMOherald Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by jdnyc

true but to base a whole game community on a single forum seems ridiculous to me

Well, it's not a single forum.  Not by a long shot.

haha, TSW fans hands are just as dirty. funcom's forum contains more unprovoked bashing of GW2 in threads than was EVER present on swtor.com. threads which have nothing to do with GW2, topics where people complain about little things with TSW like dungeon bugs...somehow cannot get three posts without a gw2 bash followed by 20 people who /agree and add their own bile.

stop playing victim imo. .

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Maybe because GW2 isn't doing anything substantially new to the genre. They've copied a bunch of tired mechanics from other games and didn't even introduce them well. The story isn't as compelling as say TSW's or as well represented as say FFXI. Voice Acting isnt as top notch as SWTOR's or TSW's. The dynamic events are its only feature it does better then any other game, and those are not as dynamic as the  meaning of the word implies. 

Combat was done better in shadowbane back in 2003 . Even Tera's combat blows GW2 out of the water. Blade and Soul is pushing that envelope as well. 

Not saying GW2 is a bad game. But its not the saving grace of this genre like everyone is making it out to be. But its mediocre at best. I would give it a 6/10. I would give SWTOR a 4/10 and TSW a 5/10. So you can see I think its a better game thats come out in the last few years. But its not an amazing game. We need more games that have seriously indepth systems like ArcheAge. Yes I have played the game and I would give it so far a 6.5/10, and I havn't even got to the good bits of crafting boats/ships and sieges/city building. So I think my overall score for the game will come out to about an 7.5-8/10. 

And here's a perfect example of the kind of post that causes such animosity and contention and flaming on this site.

I have never had a PvE experience like I've had in the GW2 Betas where everything was designed to seamlessly support cooperative play, so for me the post loses all credibility in the very first sentence. A lot of his points are opinion or preference, and he's not necessarily "wrong" about all of them objectively (I don't think GW2 offers an absolutely amazing Personal Story experience - but then again I do think what they have is decently fun and I don't play MMOs for single-player stories) but he sure does stridently present his opinion as undisputed gospel fact, insults the entire playerbase, and even his one "example" at objectivity ("see I rated it higher than SWTOR and TSW so I must be objective") is actually just a further insult to many more MMO gamers.

His final line perfectly highlights the issue - GW is "it" for a lot of people, or at least a huge leap forward. He knows that. He dosen't care. And he has no issues with "pooping in those people's living rooms" - there's nothing to "discuss" with him nor is he really interested in one in any way except for maybe validation that "all MMOs need to be the mythical sandbox game I have in my dreams" is justified.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I only come to these forums for entertainment value.  If I want an actual game discusion to where I actually value the opinions of the playerbase, I will go to the actual game's website.   I really hope the majority of people who read and post here on Mmorpg.com don't seriously expect to get anything out of these forums other than some chuckles.

However, to add something to the topic, I think that a lot people here are just lemmings.  They take something that someone else posted and try to repost it as if it was their idea or they were the first to think of it.  They can't seem to think for themselves so they feel validation by reposting another person's idea in some twisted hope of solidarity.

Can you tell if I'm for or against this game?  Does it really matter?

However I will be playing GW2 this Saturday!  woo hoo!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think a lot of the love is fake... and misguided.

I don't hate the game, I just don't think its that amazing. It was fun, but truthfully I was more entwined with Tera and that game had some lame questing (very lame) all due to the combat.  The questing approach is 'interesting' but its jsut more choice in your repetative sandwhich. Events aren't anything new despite what people claim, and I'll see the same event repeated far to many times that it leaves a stale taste in my mouth.

I had some fun with the game, don't get me wrong, but I just never got that 'wow' feeling I did with other games. I played GW2 on and off, mostly toying with classes during the beta weakend, while Path of Exile I played non stop without break. Sure, its personal preferences (as most games are) but I just wasn't honestly blown away by it. What people are claiming to be the holy graal of action combat just feels watered down. While I wouldn't normally bash an MMO for this (persistant world one at least) Tera had done the same and it worked out far better. It felt so much more smooth and clean and helped involved more skill into combat.

Back to my bolded statement, I feel a lot of love for this game is really overemphasized and hyped up beyond belief. So much blind love for a game is only going to lead to disapointment. The worst part is this disapointment will come just since people hyped it to such extreme levels. Hyping something to be a block of diamond and finding out its the best block of gold in the world can even make that gold block look like its not worth wild.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Stx11

And here's a perfect example of the kind of post that causes such animosity and contention and flaming on this site.

I have never had a PvE experience like I've had in the GW2 Betas where everything was designed to seamlessly support cooperative play, so for me the post loses all credibility in the very first sentence. A lot of his points are opinion or preference, and he's not necessarily "wrong" about all of them objectively (I don't think GW2 offers an absolutely amazing Personal Story experience - but then again I do think what they have is decently fun and I don't play MMOs for single-player stories) but he sure does stridently present his opinion as undisputed gospel fact, insults the entire playerbase, and even his one "example" at objectivity ("see I rated it higher than SWTOR and TSW so I must be objective") is actually just a further insult to many more MMO gamers.

His final line perfectly highlights the issue - GW is "it" for a lot of people, or at least a huge leap forward. He knows that. He dosen't care. And he has no issues with "pooping in those people's living rooms" - there's nothing to "discuss" with him nor is he really interested in one in any way except for maybe validation that "all MMOs need to be the mythical sandbox game I have in my dreams" is justified.

Im sorry you dont agree and are so obviously blind by your overwhelming fanboism of GW2. But the game isn't the messiah of the MMO Genre. 

When you look at the feature list of GW2 its decent at best. Yes Its better then a lot of games that have come out in the past few years. But this genre has gone backwards instead of forward. It still has a lot of work to get back up to par with games that were being released in 1998-2004. 

Attacking people... right, because it pretty well known that the GW2 community is pretty childish and stomps on anything that isn't GW2 or the slightest criticism...see yourself for example, and its pretty well known that SWTOR was an epic failure and is the reason Bioware has done some serious layoffs etc. It isn't uncommon knowledge that TSW isn't doing as well as FUNCOM had hoped. My ratings are based on MMO's as a whole. Not MMO's released in the past few years. If I rated it like this website does, then yes GW2 would be close to an 8 instead of a 6. But looking at this entire Genre it doesn't have nearly as many features as SWG, UO, Shadowbane etc. Even Vanguard, had more features on its list when it released then GW2. 

So sorry your blind. But I know what we should be getting out of developers now instead of what we have been getting and I am dissappointed.

Like I said. Dynamic Events are GW2's "feature". Everything else is mediocre at best, though they at least kept up and attempted to do something with combat and didn't keep it the standard tab target... Looking at you TSW.   

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Purutzil

I don't hate the game, I just don't think its that amazing. It was fun, but truthfully I was more entwined with Tera and that game had some lame questing (very lame) all due to the combat.  The questing approach is 'interesting' but its jsut more choice in your repetative sandwhich. Events aren't anything new despite what people claim, and I'll see the same event repeated far to many times that it leaves a stale taste in my mouth...

Back to my bolded statement, I feel a lot of love for this game is really overemphasized and hyped up beyond belief. So much blind love for a game is only going to lead to disapointment. The worst part is this disapointment will come just since people hyped it to such extreme levels. Hyping something to be a block of diamond and finding out its the best block of gold in the world can even make that gold block look like its not worth wild.

I get where you are coming from... but I think it is you that is misguided.

You prefer TERA's combat. You don't care for the Event System. You draw a conclusion that most everybody else will come to the same conclusions as you. Nothing wrong with that. It's human nature. But it is as flawed as the people on this site that insist only a "Pure Sandbox" can be a "good MMO" or that "without FFA PvP a game is fail" - I'm sure they believe as strongly in their views as you do in yours, but I feel pretty comfortable based on heuristics that there are more than enough people that will enjoy (and continue to enjoy) GW2's implementation of DEs for a long time to come.

I'm sure there will be some as disappointed as you. There will even be some who will "feel cheated" there isn't any PvP in PvE (outside of WvW). But just as millions of people enjoyed what WoW had to offer for years and years, I wouldn't be surprised at all if millions find that same enjoyment in GW2.

Maybe that is what really bothers you?

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

a lot of people don't claim to hate gw2, they are told they do by the ridiculous number of people on this site that can't understand that it is possible to think the questing system isn't all that revolutionary, but still like the game.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Im sorry you dont agree and are so obviously blind by your overwhelming fanboism of GW2. But the game isn't the messiah of the MMO Genre... 

Thanks for proving the entire point of my post accurate.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

The flame wars! This happens with every new game that is going to be released.  GW2 is no exception.  And I can tell you the newer game's cheerleaders and fanboys are always more critical of the older games. 

I fully plan on playing GW2 when it launches and I hope you guys do not join my server.

Originally posted by TheHavok

The flame wars! This happens with every new game that is going to be released.  GW2 is no exception.  And I can tell you the newer game's cheerleaders and fanboys are always more critical of the older games. 

I fully plan on playing GW2 when it launches and I hope you guys do not join my server.

I'll make it my job to join your server, follow you around and cheer, "Go havok go havok rah rah rah"

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I don't hate the game, I just don't think its that amazing. It was fun, but truthfully I was more entwined with Tera and that game had some lame questing (very lame) all due to the combat.  The questing approach is 'interesting' but its jsut more choice in your repetative sandwhich. Events aren't anything new despite what people claim, and I'll see the same event repeated far to many times that it leaves a stale taste in my mouth...

You prefer TERA's combat. You don't care for the Event System. You draw a conclusion that most everybody else will come to the same conclusions as you. Nothing wrong with that. It's human nature. But it is as flawed as the people on this site that insist only a "Pure Sandbox" can be a "good MMO" or that "without FFA PvP a game is fail" - I'm sure they believe as strongly in their views as you do in yours, but I feel pretty comfortable based on heuristics that there are more than enough people that will enjoy (and continue to enjoy) GW2's implementation of DEs for a long time to come.

I'm sure there will be some as disappointed as you. There will even be some who will "feel cheated" there isn't any PvP in PvE (outside of WvW). But just as millions of people enjoyed what WoW had to offer for years and years, I wouldn't be surprised at all if millions find that same enjoyment in GW2.

And you were doing so well up until that last bit. Good job on turning what could have been an excellent and mature rebuttle into a total tinfoil hatted trainwreck with just two short sentences.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Personally I think the real issue is that the fans actually bother to respond to the haters.

Just ignore them, they are doing it for the attention.  

I mean, seriously OP, you are correct that the issue is that when one group of people is really excited about something, another group that is not can get envious.  That feeling of excitement is awesome and not being able to feel it is obviously going to bother some people.

THe thing is, they make posts to get under fan's skin.  When you take the time to actually respond to them, they have succeeded.  

So, to all of the GW2 fans, STOP giving them what they want.  Respond to legitimate criticism posts, sure....but for the love of God, learn to ignore all of the ones that are clearly just baiting.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Im sorry you dont agree and are so obviously blind by your overwhelming fanboism of GW2. But the game isn't the messiah of the MMO Genre... 

Agree. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Agree. 

/thread. 

Originally posted by Tardcore

And you were doing so well up until that last bit. Good job on turning what could have been an excellent and mature rebuttle into a total tinfoil hatted trainwreck with just two short sentences.

Sorry Tard you didn't like those two lines.

I thought I was still fairly polite and keeping in line with the OP's point.

There's nothing "tinfoil hat" in that first sentence either. Millions of people have played and enjoyed WoW, and I think there's a very good chance of millions playing and enjoying GW2.

This discussion has been closed.