Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some games that don't depend on quests?

13»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Try Lineage 2. Its starts off having you do some quest but soon it becomes all about grinding mobs. Good game if you are into that type of game play.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Topics like these amuse me.  I remember back in 2002-2003 or so, when people were complaining about how grindy MMO's were.  They wanted to be able to explore and kill the dragons and stuff, but they were tired of having to commit genocide for months on end just to get there.  It was repetative, and not much else.

And combat?  Combat was rarely ever difficult, provided you were attacking mobs around your level.  If you died, it was usually because you pulled too many, not because you weren't "skilled" enough.  I remember tanks in Everquest being able to hold agro with nothing more than using a /beg emote (which pissed off city guards and monsters for some reason) while the rest of the raid attacked for 30 minutes.

World of Warcraft wasn't the first MMO to use quests, but it was the first to really market the questing system as a more fun way of leveling up.  You were still killing 10 rats, but there was some sort of "story" to it, as well as some item rewards and extra XP to boot.  Combat was pretty fun for it's time as well, with crisp animations and a good amount of class diversity for it's time.  Between stats and classes and the fairly new concept of talent trees, there was even enough "crunch" to give it a sense of "easy to learn, difficult to master."  (a lot of that went away as theory-crafting sites sprang up, making it easy to know how to kill a boss long before you get to him, for example.)

Judging a game because it has quests is just silly.  Questing is a net positive for the industry.  If a game truly sucks (many do), it's for far more basic reasons than anything related to quests.

You make me like charity

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Oddly enough World of Warcraft.

The way World of Warcraft is set up, you get EXP for Participating in PVP, plus there is a dungeon finder.

Once you hit lvl10 you can level all the way up doing only a minimal amount of quests.

However the graphics are dated and  it is not F2P (so it doesn't fit everything you want)

---

The next one I would say would be, Fallen Earth, you get XP for crafting and gathering. There are certain quest that give AP, so you will probably do some quests but it does give love to the crafters.

It has a F2P option, Graphics are alright.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

No. Almost all of WoW's development is devoted to quests, and it is the way you're meant to play the game.

If you want MMOs that don't rely on quests you have to go back in time to the golden age of MMOs (before WoW). Or play Darkfall.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

No. Almost all of WoW's development is devoted to quests, and it is the way you're meant to play the game.

If you want MMOs that don't rely on quests you have to go back in time to the golden age of MMOs (before WoW). Or play Darkfall.

I would agree that is the way that WoW was back when I started playing it. Now I don't think anyone levels by doing quests. They simply queue the dungeon finder or do pvp until they are max level. It is faster to level "Not" doing quests.

(btw I am not saying that is a good thing, it's just the op asked for games you didn't need to do quests to level)

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213
    Xsyon, Might wanna take a look.