Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any way to catch up on lore?

OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hi all,

I didn't play GW1, but I've pre-purchased GW2 and am looking forward to the HS.  Is there a novel or condensed wiki somewhere where I can catch up on the lore behind or leading up to GW2?  I know it's not necessary, but it'd be nice to understand a bit of the context the game takes places in.

Thanks!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    couple videos in my sig under "The World" section although he hasn't finished the series it gives you some info:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• boonie808boonie808 Member UncommonPosts: 60

thanks for that link ^

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Nawp. There's too much history there, a whole game's worth, for you to read anything condensed and really get the jist of it. There are novels, but they cover the time between GW1 and 2, not the lore of the games themselves. If you're that curious, go to the GW1 wiki and read summaries of each of the campaigns (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, Eye of the North), read the summaries of the add-ons (War in Kryta, Heart of Ice, Winds of Change) then go to the GW2 wiki and read each of the histories of the races available in GW2 on their respective pages. Finally, read up on Edge of Destiny, including Snaff, Glint, Jenna and Anise's roles in the battle against Kralkatorrik.

That should pretty much get you up to speed. Sounds like a lot but the summaries on those pages are generally a couple of paragraphs at most, with lots of links to side info should you find them interesting enough to read up on more.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

If you like reading fantasy fiction you may also want to read Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny.  Both are set prior to the time line of when the game itself is, I believe, and contain all kinds of lore elements woven into their stories.

They were also both suprisingly good for game-based fiction, imo.  Also, relatively quick and easy reads.

I was suprised by how much I enjoyed them.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Check out this guy. For both GW and GW2.  Check out his playlists. Esp - Guild Wars 2 Daily

http://www.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes/videos?view=1

He's got lore, info and entire play thrus of all GW1 expansions. A couple awesome lore vids covering a huge amount of info.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Jagarid

If you like reading fantasy fiction you may also want to read Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny.  Both are set prior to the time line of when the game itself is, I believe, and contain all kinds of lore elements woven into their stories.

They were also both suprisingly good for game-based fiction, imo.  Also, relatively quick and easy reads.

What he said.

If you wanna get into all the lore from GW1, you might be a little late to the party.

But if you want only the relevant lore to the plot of GW2, I suggest reading the article "Movement of the world" and reading Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny. They're fun and they're more related to GW2 than GW1's campaigns.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.
  • yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Like someone said , you should check out Wooden Potatoes on youtube. He has a good grasp on GW lore and he explains it pretty well.
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by Jagarid

Will I be able to understand these two books if I've never played GW1?  I'd like to give them a go, but only if there are no, well, pre-requisites, to understanding them, heh.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Will I be able to understand these two books if I've never played GW1?  I'd like to give them a go, but only if there are no, well, pre-requisites, to understanding them, heh.

Yes, you will understand everything.

In fact, they even explain too much at times. If you're not familiar with the races or the main cities, for example, the novels detail them very nicely.