Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P not very attractive for ex-players..

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

well yes i can use my old L50 characters, i can use all the items on my characters

but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.  Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters....

They want me to either pay for a subscrition or an unlocker ? Nah this is not Free to play.

This Free to play Model is far to limited , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG..

VANGUARD will remain on my Harddisk as a test programm for new Hardware thats it. Thats what its good for as F2P...

VANGUARD is still PAY TO PLAY because no one will ever reach level 50 in this F2P Model with fun...... 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SOE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

p.s Vanguard F2P is still neat for some Sightseeing to show some friends the nice Grafics.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Portland

They want me to either pay for a subscrition or an unlocker ? Nah this is not Free to play.

So pay the few dollars for the "unlocker" and have at it.

It seems you are standing on ceremony.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Lol,companies are going to try and make a buck somehow.no mmo will ever truly be free
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thats not Free to play, not true...  

The word "FREE" doesnt belong to Vanguards Model because you need to buy something sooner or later.

AION is Free to Play - VG is a Free Trial as it always was, they just changed it a bit and called it F2P ;)

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

well yes i can use my old L50 characters, i can use all the items on my characters

but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.

But you can use blues...and have no restriction on the AH.

Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters....

Then pay 25-50 cents to unlock something if you MUST have it?

This Free to play Model is far to limited Really? Because I can play through the entire game, all the mobs, quests, encounters, dungeons, diplomacy, and crafting... for free.  , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG..It seems to have already brought in tons of people.

VANGUARD is still PAY TO PLAY because no one will ever reach level 50 in this F2P Model with fun...... 

I'm playing. I'm not paying... how do you explain that?

Are you people still so surprised that FTP BUSINESS MODELS aren't 100% free?

Originally posted by tank017
    Lol,companies are going to try and make a buck somehow.no mmo will ever truly be free

Wrong, 

AION is completly free, no need to buy anything........ 

• CnuckCnuck Member UncommonPosts: 44

The 250 SC it costs for 5 unlocks isnt the problem. Its that at low levels( lvl 10-30) I shouldnt have to unlock everything I get as a quest reward or loot that I can use. Past 30 ok maybe, because the chance of getting something to upgrade may not be as often.

There is a lvl7 crafting quest reward (toolbelt) I can't use, why not?

WoW is a disease that will infect your brain and your computer.

The word "FREE" doesnt belong to Vanguards Model because you need to buy something sooner or later.

AION is Free to Play - VG is a Free Trial as it always was, they just changed it a bit and called it F2P ;)

Aion is free in the west because it has millions of paying subscribers in the east... why can't you people understand this? How about instead you compare it to a game its similar to, LotRO, which has a FAR more restrictive FTP system?

I'm playing Vanguard and I haven't HAD to buy anything.

Originally posted by Cnuck

The 250 SC it costs for 5 unlocks isnt the problem. Its that at low levels( lvl 10-30) I shouldnt have to unlock everything I get as a quest reward or loot that I can use. Past 30 ok maybe, because the chance of getting something to upgrade may not be as often.

Likely an error. I haven't seen any adventuring quests give loot I couldn't use.

Because they want your money, thats a simple fact. Your playing an enhanced Trial

Vanguard isnt Free to play , SOE will never change....

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

Technically it is Free for you to play the game, however if you want to use Premier items you either have to unlock them or pay the sub ...

so in reality it is Free to play, just cant use some of the items ... just like EQ1 and EQ2 and LoTRO. it is the standard business model, they will nickel and dime you to oblivion.

I enjoy VG and been a sub for a long time and that wont change even though the game changed to Free to play model.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

Originally posted by Tibernicus

Aion is free in the west because it has millions of paying subscribers in the east... why can't you people understand this? How about instead you compare it to a game its similar to, LotRO, which has a FAR more restrictive FTP system?

Its the word "FREE" that makes me mad, its a Fraud

They arent saying the truth, people think they start playing for free then suddenly they have to pay for a Level 7 item to unlock...

Aion's system is not different from any f2p system in that it still wants/needs to make money.

IF someone isn't willing to spend 10 bucks or whatever for infinite game play then I really wonder if they just want a complete free ride.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

They arent saying the truth, people think they start playing for free then suddenly they have to pay for a Level 7 item to unlock...

So find one you don't have to unlock.  I've not got full confirmation from anyone whether blue items are locked or unlocked.  Because restricting people from blues would be the line between ok and not workable imo.

Because they want your money, thats a simple fact. Your playing an enhanced Trial

Vanguard isnt Free to play , SOE will never change....

It's a hell of a trial then, if I can go everywhere and do every quest.

And you CAN use blues.

So is using the term Massively Multiplayer to describe games like SWTOR, TSW, LotRO, and WoW. But its the standard. It's what happens.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    F2P is the reason you came back.

Originally posted by Mardukk

So find one you don't have to unlock.  I've not got full confirmation from anyone whether blue items are locked or unlocked.  Because restricting people from blues would be the line between ok and not workable imo.

This is all they give:

7. WHAT ITEMS CAN FREE PLAYERS EQUIP?

Free players can equip any items that are designated as common. Free players may also equip some items of uncommon or higher rarity, which are limited on a case by case basis. Items that aren't equippable by Free members are noted in game as "Gold membership required.

Originally posted by Mardukk

This is all they give:

7. WHAT ITEMS CAN FREE PLAYERS EQUIP?

Free players can equip any items that are designated as common. Free players may also equip some items of uncommon or higher rarity, which are limited on a case by case basis. Items that aren't equippable by Free members are noted in game as "Gold membership required.

So far all blues I've found, I could use.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.  Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters....

To me Free to Play doesn't stand for a complete free game and acces to everything in the game for free, to me free to me has to have limites, especially if it's a hybrid model one should obviously understand that such a game never would be truly F2P else why would anyone paying a subfee continue doing so?

This Free to play Model is far to limited , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG..

If the game even with it's limits is fun to play I bet most GAMERS wouldn't mind putting in a subfee as subfee's still are very VERY cheap compared to other forms of entertainment

VANGUARD will remain on my Harddisk as a test programm for new Hardware thats it. Thats what its good for as F2P...

http://www.futuremark.com/ works allot better for testing hardware then a game from 2007

Here comes the populair oneliner "Fun is subjective"

Oh noess SOE is a company and wants to make money, sorry since I don't like using cashshops there is no difference to me if it's SOE, Blizzard, Bioware or whatever company that releases F2P with item/cashshops or selling things outside gameplay, but I do understand there needs to be a way to make money. It's not like the people who develop games work for free, it isn't that the hardware/software/infrastructure these company's are running are free. I got such a simple rule, if a game is not fun to play I just choose not to play it regardless if it's F2P/Hybrid or subbed, if it is a fun game to play and it's hybrid I often sub to it, if I start to worry if Jake or Jane X might have bought Sword Über after 5 minutes ingame, while it took me some weeks to obtain it, then I would try another hobby.

So WHY would you even think that a F2P game would actually be completely free.

The weather outside you get for free, everything else only depends on your own wants and needs.

p.s Vanguard F2P is still neat for some Sightseeing to show some friends the nice Grafics.

I would have agreed with you 3 years ago as that's when I played V the last time, but have been spoiled by other gamegenre's so hard to say if it would match up against today's gen. of new visuals in games. Perhaps purely in MMO terms I believe it still might be great due to the more realistic approach of Vanguards world.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Please don't lie about other games the reason why Lotro is truely ftp is because of turbine points. A new char can start off on a free account and grind tittle, and deeds to get token coins. The first time he uses those coins to do anything ie buy the mount riding skill, they are bumped to premium. Everything can be unlocked on lotro without paying a dime. 

Vanguard is not like this. F2P means Free to Play. I understand how the op is feeling because with all the MMO's out there that are truely f2p people wont stick around for long. 

For instance Eden Eternals fan base dropped significantly when they made eden crystals [nt] because it meant that the game was p2w Pay to Win because ingame items had to be bought with realy money that gave unfair advantages. 

If Vanguard is making it so higher quality items have to be paid for in order to pvp or pve on a fair even ground then it is P2W. Regardless of what you think Free means FREE.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    You guys should know by now that from SOE previous titles that went f2p that they will severely gate you in progression. A very big dissapointment for me also as i wanted to try out Vanguard once again.
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

OP, I don't see a problem with a business trying to earn money from their own product.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The game is free to play because you simply dont have to pay anything to play it. Now if you want to experiece everything that the game has to offer then you have to pay.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

How the **** is this a trial, or IN WHAT SENSE it is not a FREE TO PLAY.

All dungeons are FREE, all raids, all quests are FREE, all zones are FREE, all levels are FREE, you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent.

It is if you want to become more powerful and use higher level items, you have to pay. That doesn't mean you can't do the same content with a bit worse gear IF you're so CHEAP that you are not willing to spend 2$ to unlock 5 items.

REALITY CHECK

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Thillian

How the **** is this a trial, or IN WHAT SENSE it is not a FREE TO PLAY.

All dungeons are FREE, all raids, all quests are FREE, all zones are FREE, all levels are FREE, you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent.

It is if you want to become more powerful and use higher level items, you have to pay. That doesn't mean you can't do the same content with a bit worse gear IF you're so CHEAP that you are not willing to spend 2$ to unlock 5 items.

We get it, you are not gated to content you can gio into. But what good is that content if you have to buy what you find inside of it? Oh and housing isnt free and a deciding factor alone for most people. Dont say its not free when its clearly not.