Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I have to finish GW1 to enjoy GW2?

purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

What the title says.

I've played some of  Prophecies,but never finished it and never really played Factions or Nightfall. Just wondering if at never complete those and Eye of the North, will I be lost at the begininng of Guild Wars 2 or will it not matter.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by purewitz

What the title says.

I've played some of  Prophecies,but never finished it and never really played Factions or Nightfall. Just wondering if at never complete those and Eye of the North, will I be lost at the begininng of Guild Wars 2 or will it not matter.

no way! You might get MORE out of GW2 like little things that are reminders from GW1 but in no way is the story itself lessened by now knowing the lore from GW1. Also the games are vastly different so dont think "I didnt like GW1 so I wont like GW2" as others have.

• ApolyonBSApolyonBS Member UncommonPosts: 23
    You may miss the lore, and some vanity items from the Hall of Monuments. Apart from that, I don't think you will miss anything important.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Did not fully complete GW1, but did not had the feeling I missed anything story wise. I guess we might not understand some references, but just small ones I guess that are not importend. Might be wrong though.
  • MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    No. the only thing that is the same in GW2 is the lore and the stuff you get from the HoM is only for looks

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    I would recommend reading the books Guild Wars Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny.
  • Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL00553A085339802C&feature=plcp

Wooden Potato is your friend here, he has summarised the law into this playlist but if you wish to view a complete playthrough of the prophecies, nightfall, faction and eye of the north campaign he also has playlists for those too.

Definately worthy of a subscribe on youtube.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Adelbern
    I would recommend reading the books Guild Wars Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny.

True. The lore in the books is definitely more relevant to GW2 than GW1's campaigns.

It explains the races, the dragons, some of the places and some of the characters you'll meet ingame. The original Guild Wars story, even though is good, is unnecessary to the understanding of GW2's plot.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    You dont. I hated Guild Wars 1 but loves Guild Wars 2.
  • ErindalErindal Member UncommonPosts: 54

You won't be lost of course. Do not worry. 

But you are missing a huge chunk of game lore (if you are interested in it). 

Just a little example... When you're creating a human you can chose Kormir as a god which blessed you. 

In GW: NIghtfall she was a leader of Sunspears and one of the main characters of your campaign. 

You directly participated in her ascending and wihtout you she would not become a new god. 

And now you have her in your character's bio and a skill related to her (Prayer to Kormir). 

There are much more connections which I won't discuss for brevity.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

Although it underlies the world design, GW2 was intentionally designed so that story was largely irrelevant for the benefit of the majority of players who focus on gameplay and don't want to have to understand what is going on to enjoy the game.

There's stuff there if you want to go look for it.  If not, it won't make any difference outside of perhaps your class story where everything relevant is given to you anyway.

That said, people who have played GW1 will probably appreciate some of the references or making comparisons with locations  shared between the two games.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Erindal

Just a little example... When you're creating a human you can chose Kormir as a god which blessed you. 

In GW: NIghtfall she was a leader of Sunspears and one of the main characters of your campaign. 

You directly participated in her ascending and wihtout you she would not become a new god. 

And now you have her in your character's bio and a skill related to her (Prayer to Kormir). 

You know are really spoiling the end of Nightfall for those that haven't finished yet :P

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Erindal

Pretty much stuff like this, and unless you've played GW1, the ghost of Duke Barradin that you fight in the intro scenario as a Charr is just another boss for you.

As to OP: There's so much scattered around the world that's basically nice extra stuff for those who have played GW1, it gives additional depth to the game, but there won't be stuff you won't understand just because you've not played the original. If you find an old tomb with an inscription telling of a brave hero, it'll be just another hero for you, and a nice additional detail in the world. But if you've played the original, you actually realize that you know the name on the tombstone...

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I never even played GW1, this is a whole new experiance for me, right down to the class.

I miss DAoC

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    The first guild wars book was very good. Second one was pretty amateurish and shallow.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by purewitz

What the title says.

GW2 is set 250 years after the Eye of the North. It's whole new world, you jump right into the time when dragons are awake and threaten the world of tyria. 

By playing GW1 you only get more from the story behind the GW2. For example you witness the devastation of the old ascalon which is run over by charr, you fight them and you actually see the relationship between humans and charrs. You get to see the "fake gods" and you witness the rising of Kormir to the Godhood (you can choose her blessing when creating a character in GW2 - she's the one with white blindfold) You see the norns and as you play you learn some of their story, the same goes for the Asura...

It's nothing that'll ruin your experience, so you're not missing anything.

If you're really interested in the lore, you could read a book. I bought it for my girlfriend and she told me it's awesome. :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ShTogoodShTogood Member Posts: 46
    I did not play GW1 but i have got allot of info from this guy LINK. and now i know allot about how the story went in GW1 and it feels easy to understand so far the info i have seen in GW2 about GW1.
  • ErindalErindal Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by ABRaquel
    You know are really spoiling the end of Nightfall for those that haven't finished yet :P

lol. But they have no intention (at least everybody above are telling it is just few links there and there). It is quite different from listening or reading on gw wiki and actually participating in it.

P.S.: It is a real sequel, everything is connected. 

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147
    I just dont get this lore thing. I play a game for enjoyment and have no interest in understanding the contrived story. Movies do the job of lore for me.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    GW1 and GW2 are totally different games, so probably not.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

You don't have to play the first game unless you're really interested in the lore. It's also pretty neat when you see how certain zones and landmarks changed in GW2.

Also HoM rewards.

Anyway, you can completely ignore GW1 and still have an absolute blast in GW2 without feeling like you missed out.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Elisabeth Cardy over at Massively just did a two-part series on the History of Tyria:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/07/flameseeker-chronicles-a-brief-history-of-tyria/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/09/flameseeker-chronicles-extra-a-brief-history-of-tyria-part-two/

Should be everything you need to get "caught up"

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

If you have GW1, you can play it anytime, and from what I have read and experienced in-game the Hall of Monuments will update for the life of both games.

So no, it's not necessary, but the campaigns are better than most games I have played (which are most since '98). NightFall is the one where you will need to at least get the tapestries for the Hall of Monuments rewards for GW2, but they aren't game breakers by any stretch.

Again, the lore is really good, well worth playing, I'm still a noobie in Factions and haven't finished NightFall either. doing 'beyond' stuff as well in Kryta and Ascalon. GW1 is immense, those who have done it all, I commend them.

I'll still be playing it every so often.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Gameplaywise you will be fine without knowing all the background lore from gw1. But admittedly having played through all of gw1 it amazes me how much from gw1 I see all over the placein gw2 that reminds me of events and locations in gw1. It really does add another layer of awesome to everything you stunble on. Anyone not familiar with gw1 will right a lot of what you see as generic but it really is anything but.
    It will only get better with the expansions too. I can't wait to see how cantha turned out after the emperor closed off cantha. I also can't wait to go back to elona to see how it is under palo joko's rule.